• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Since Metroid Prime 4 is already confirmed to be in development then I hope it's a new DKC.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
"Retro Studios is working on fucking Donkey Kong once more"

If they want to, go ham. Both their DK games were masterpieces and we'd have a nice trilogy, and it'd provide a sweet 2.5D platforming fix for the Switch.
Judging by the long time they are taking (And I seem to remember they were hiring) part of me thinks they are inmersed in two projects, and maybe they are also providing assistance for Metroid Prime 4.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
It was a failed pitch to Nintendo according to Unseen64.

https://youtu.be/s9HW_83sMTQ
They got SEVERAL pitches during that time frame?!

Maybe Sakurai wasn't as accurate as he thought about no one wanting to pick up the torch on the IP, at least if his design caught that much attention upon it's initial reveal for Smash. It seems like the problem boiled down to the same philosophy Nintendo's been repeating up and down as of late about a game actually needing to bring something new to the table as a concept.

I can only hope they decided to go back to the pitch an take it in a new direction in that case. This puts the (likely still fake) rumors that bounce around in a whole new light. And it IS a game with online multiplayer. . .

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
The 4 year thing could easily be because they had to move their project from Wii U to Switch or it might be Nintendo just wanting to space their announcements/game releases to keep the Switch momentum going. Nintendo is no stranger to doing that with already finished games

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
I worry about Retro lately. Could they be in development hell? Studio hell?

They absolutely must show what they've got going by E3 2018 or something's seriously wrong over there.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
I worry about Retro lately. Could they be in development hell? Studio hell?

They absolutely must show what they've got going by E3 2018 or something's seriously wrong over there.

That's reading a bit too much into it. We know that around 2014 Nintendo shifted virtually all internal resources onto Switch. They can easily reveal their game in early 2018 and release it the same year. We didn't hear anything from the main 3D Mario team between 2013 and 2017 but we are playing Mario Odyssey right now.

I think they are probably working on a 3D DK game that will be the Metroid Prime equivalent for that franchise.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
That's reading a bit too much into it. We know that around 2014 Nintendo shifted virtually all internal resources onto Switch. They can easily reveal their game in early 2018 and release it the same year. We didn't hear anything from the main 3D Mario team between 2013 and 2017 but we are playing Mario Odyssey right now.

I think they are probably working on a 3D DK game that will be the Metroid Prime equivalent for that franchise.

I don't disagree with this, but it's not really a comparable situation when they've been dead silent since Tropical Freeze's launch, not to mention that game massively underperformed saleswise (and shockingly even critically...somehow). I dont think Nintendo was quite so silent about Mario. We definitely heard some things even before that first footage of Odyssey was shown. Have we heard even a single peep from Retro beyond insanely cryptic tweets that only confirm their doors are still open?

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom and figure they'll show something by E3, my point is if they DON'T have something ready for E3 then I'll be concerned.

My impossible dreams want them to work on a Turok revival. Or F-Zero. Or an amazing FPS.

After how incredible Odyssey is, I'd also gladly take a 3D DK game.

Basically, I'll take anything lol.

Oct 28, 2017
I don't disagree with this, but it's not really a comparable situation when they've been dead silent since Tropical Freeze's launch, not to mention that game massively underperformed saleswise (and shockingly even critically...somehow). I dont think Nintendo was quite so silent about Mario. We definitely heard some things even before that first footage of Odyssey was shown. Have we heard even a single peep from Retro beyond insanely cryptic tweets that only confirm their doors are still open?

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom and figure they'll show something by E3, my point is if they DON'T have something ready for E3 then I'll be concerned.

My impossible dreams want them to work on a Turok revival. Or F-Zero. Or an amazing FPS.

After how incredible Odyssey is, I'd also gladly take a 3D DK game.

Basically, I'll take anything lol.

It's safe to assume that it underperformed because it was on a platform that bombed. I wouldn't read too much into TF's sales.

Eirwaz

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Could they possibly be working on two games? Miyamoto mentioned that they were certainly big enough to make two full-fledged projects at once.
setting my hopes on a revival of the ravenblade project and a return of F-Zero.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Could they possibly be working on two games? Miyamoto mentioned that they were certainly big enough to make two full-fledged projects at once.
setting my hopes on a revival of the ravenblade project and a return of F-Zero.

I think they probably have a main team working on a single big title and then a secondary team that is used as a support outfit for other NCL projects, like we saw with Mario Kart 7. I wouldn't expect them to be making two AAA games at once.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The 4 year thing could easily be because they had to move their project from Wii U to Switch or it might be Nintendo just wanting to space their announcements/game releases to keep the Switch momentum going. Nintendo is no stranger to doing that with already finished games

Also, it's important to note Odyssey's development started shortly after 3D World. I've seen a few people post that there's no way Retro has been working on DK for 4 years. Lots of people don't consider this, but platformers take time to develop. I'd say it's very likely Retro has been working on a new Donkey Kong game. Hopefully it's a 3D one.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Just had a random thought today but.. I'd be really down for a new IP + DK Tropical Freeze remaster for the Switch.

Oct 27, 2017
Man reading this topic ,ive realised that some Retro Fans seem to be whiny and impatient .
Development takes time basically and taking 4 years to develop a game is not unheard of ,coupled with development difficulty and whatnot .
Whatever the game is ,im sure its gonna be a great one due to thier past Pedigree

Stuart

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'd love for them to make the next 2D Mario game.

Nintendo's own efforts at 2D Mario with the "New" series are a bit mediocre (by their own high standards). Retro have shown they're the masters of platformers.

I hope they're not making Metroid Prime 4, their talents are wasted on such a series.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Man reading this topic ,ive realised that some Retro Fans seem to be whiny and impatient .
Development takes time basically and taking 4 years to develop a game is not unheard of ,coupled with development difficulty and whatnot .
Whatever the game is ,im sure its gonna be a great one due to thier past Pedigree
Plus Nintendo not announcing games (bar Zelda) until shortly before launch.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Whatever they have cooking, I'm sure it'll be good. Though I wouldn't mind seeing them do a 3D DK. Make it like the N64 original but better.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
It's Diddy Kong Racing 2, of course! They've had practice in Mario Kart 7!

Seriously though my bet is on a new IP, they've been working on it so long it has to be something new. I just hope there aren't any untold troubles at the studio that are holding their project back...

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I was playing Mario Oddisey yesterday and I arrived to Ruined Kingdom, it's a small one but I really enjoyed the design, it has a kind of Souls flavour including the boss (not the mechanics, the design). So I thought, wouldn't it be great if Retro had been using the design of this kindom as a foundation for a Nintendo style Souls game?. I am just looking forward for whatever Retro is being worked in all these years, I'm sure it would be awesome, but a new mature IP would be the best. A cinematic adventure game Ă  la Uncharted or latest Tomb Raider games would also be great, it would expand Nintendo catalogue in a meaningful way.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to wait and see. I don't think the Donkey Kong series is going dormant again, so I don't feel like assuming they are making a new IP just because 4 years have passed. They might be, but I don't think it's a safe bet.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love for them to make the next 2D Mario game.

Nintendo's own efforts at 2D Mario with the "New" series are a bit mediocre (by their own high standards). Retro have shown they're the masters of platformers.

I hope they're not making Metroid Prime 4, their talents are wasted on such a series.

Eh Nintendo wasn't really trying with the New series.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy with another 2D DKC, but if they want to evolve the series I'd be interested in seeing them develop Donkey Kong 3D Country.

Turrican3

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
I'm sorry but the studio is MIA for almost 4 years now. That's uncalled for. You make it look like it's a common thing when it's not.

To be fair, it's not that hard to see Nintendo preventing one of their most talented teams to waste time/money on an utterly failure like the WiiU and deliberately choosing to move whatever they were working on to the next platform.

I'd argue this was a pattern during the final years of the WiiU lifecycle, most of the stuff felt like they were trying to minimize losses (since they chose not to completely abandon the platform - rightfully so if you ask me - like Sony did with Vita), not including Zelda obviously due to its cross-gen release.

Popetita

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
TX|PR
I thought they were taking so long because they were trying to bring DK back to 3D with the same success as they did with Metroid.

I hated DK64. It kinda sucked. So hopefully if that is the game then that is why they have taken this long.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Part of me is worried that things haven't been too great at Retro. But I am personally hoping their next game is announced at E3 next year and comes out that holiday season.