• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
my guess is that Retro has been demoted to grunt work for games that need to be finished fast and are short on manpower (like how they did in Mario Kart 7 back then)
This makes no sense. They ARE working on a new game - this is a fact. Retro and Nintendo already confirmed this and Retro hired people for this new project.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Retro is probably my favorite Dev team out there, and the wait has been absolute torture.

I can only imagine how much development hell it has gone through.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
We live in a 6ish month announcement to release schedule Nintendo unless it has Zelda in the title or its existence needs to be confirmed to shut fans and stockholders up.

So if it's taken this long, it means Nintendo has planned for it to likely be their holiday game next year. Would not be surprised to have the game built on a whole new engine either which takes time. I fully expect some sort of service game.

Oct 25, 2017
It's awesome in a sense that we don't know their game because think of it...
all these awesome Switch games and Retro's still not out or even out there.
Whatever it is, quality is guaranteed.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I really hope it's a new IP but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Retro is over.
Almost 4 years and nothing.

No game should take that long. Unless it's something reaaallllyy complex like some new IP MMO shit.

But its not.

Imagine taking 4 years to make a Donkey Kong game, ffffff.

I want them to make Eternal Darkness 2. But again, 4 years is a lot of time for a 10 hours horror game.

4 years is not really that much if they're not doing a sequel. Zelda usually takes that and I don't see why they couldn't be making something as complex as Zelda.

Of course, there's the possibility that they've spent 2 years or so in some project that got canceled and had to start something from scratch since then. That happens a lot more than you would think.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I was the only member of the DK 64 Defense Force on GAF, and I will gladly be one of its two members here on REF. The game is great and a perfection of the gameplay prototyped in Banjo-Kazooie.

That said, this isn't Retro's mystery game, lol. Which is just as well, because I don't know that anyone there has ever worked on a collect-a-thon platformer before.

Didn't play tropical freeze but DK 64 is also my favorite.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever it is, it's amazing that we haven't got a single clue what they could be working in. Not one!

1upmuffin

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
3D Donkey Kong is the dream for me, but I'm interested in whatever their next project is.

Deleted member 3465

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Space
I don't mind if it's Donkey Kong related, but I would hate if it was another side-scroller. A return to form was nice, but I think the series needs a major shakeup again. Still hoping it's Diddy Kong Racing 2. I feel most people would meltdown, but it would be an instant system seller for me. Especially if it used similar graphics to MK8... give it to me! It sounds perfect already tbh

Sammy Samusu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beyonce's Womb
I really hope it's a new IP but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

4 years is not really that much if they're not doing a sequel. Zelda usually takes that and I don't see why they couldn't be making something as complex as Zelda.

Of course, there's the possibility that they've spent 2 years or so in some project that got canceled and had to start something from scratch since then. That happens a lot more than you would think.
I'm sorry but the studio is MIA for almost 4 years now. That's uncalled for. You make it look like it's a common thing when it's not.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Would bet in a new IP, Destiny like Space FPS MMO.

Metroid Prime fanservice stuff in future expansions.

GaaS with lootboxes, making the entire Retro's fanbase rage, but they will play the hell out of it anyway...

pwnsweet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hope it's a realistic racer or shooter like battlefield or forza. That's what the Switch needs right now to broaden its appeal.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
PLEASE be a new IP. Retro deserves to do their own thing. Nintendo seems a lot more willing to let their talented devs flex some creative freedom (see: Splatoon) but Retro is a Western studio and so I'm not sure they would be given the same treatment.

I REALLY want a new IP.

Or StarTropics.

Oct 25, 2017
Hope it's a realistic racer or shooter like battlefield or forza. That's what the Switch needs right now to broaden its appeal.
From Retro???
67b.jpg

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Game will probably be out in 2018 I think. Banking on a January or E3 announcement, holiday release. Can't wait to see what they've been cooking, aside from BBQ.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but the studio is MIA for almost 4 years now. That's uncalled for. You make it look like it's a common thing when it's not.

There's a pretty rational explanation for Retro's long absence.

They've been working on a new project since Tropical Freeze wrapped up in November, 2013. The studio's president revealed this to Gamespot.

Here is a link to the article: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/d...-a-powerhouse-confirms-new-game/1100-6418032/

Since Prime 2 wrapped in 2004, Retro has been on a three year dev cycle for their major projects. Prime 3 launched in 2007, Donkey Kong Country Returns released in 2010, and Tropical Freeze ended production at the end of 2013.

Assuming their next project saw a similar dev cycle, it would have wrapped at the end of 2016.

Late 2016 would have been a poor time to release a new Wii U project and too early to release a Switch title.

Since Nintendo already had a full software slate for 2017, they may have given Retro more time. It's also possible the project changed in scope or became something new entirely once it became clear that Wii U was no longer a viable platform. Sure, it's also possible Retro is struggling as a studio, but a 4 year silence doesn't automatically point to that. The failure of Wii U likely created new opportunities for many of Nintendo's development teams.

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I would really appreciate if somebody else would take over Donkey Kong country for the time being so they can focus on a new IP/genre. Maybe revisit the scrapped Raven Blade again?

Last edited:

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil

Nintendo is more secretive than most when it comes to game announcements. It's not uncommon for them to announce something just a few months before the launch (they just did it with a console), so it's possible that they're just waiting for the right time to announce it.

But indeed, no one even knowing what the studio is working on for such a long time uncommon. What makes me believe that they had some projects canceled during those years. I think it's also possible that they were working on something for the WiiU that had to be redone for the Switch for some reason, delaying more the project.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say you're way more likely to get a new 2D Donkey Kong Country than a new DK64.

Strongest possibilities to me seem like...

Metroid Prime 4 development assistance /online multiplayer mode. I think Nintendo wants this game out next year for the holiday season since it's something that could potentially grab people outside of the Nintendo bubble.

Off the wall revival IP. A new Mach Rider, a crazy new approach to a forgotten franchise (a la kid Icarus uprising). I see Nintendo giving Retro a shot at doing a western style RPG or open world game with an extra level of Nintendo polish. Would get people going nuts.

2D Mario. This is probably least expected and not what people want, but hear me out. Nintendo likely wants a 2D Mario following up Odyssey's insane reception, and I feel like given the reception to tropical freeze they'd be willing to give Retro a shot. I have no doubt they could make something more visually and musically unique and interesting that New Super Mario Bros, and maybe this could even include some slight "crossover" elements between the Donkey Kong Country games and Mario series.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Whatever it is, I hope it's crafted with as much care as their other games. They're 5 for 5 as far as I'm concerned and their first and last are among the very best ever.

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.

RT

Even Square-En*x, a studio that's fallen so far from grace and faces no hope for recovery in the future, managed to release other (often quality, purchase Bravely Second today) titles while working on their years-long turd FFXV.

What's Retro's excuse?

pwnsweet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Who better? Like i said, both of those genres are popular and sorely missing from the switches library. Retro is a competent studio that produce games of high production value and would be able to fill this gap with a high quality game. That's literally exactly what the Switch needs right now. Payday 2 and Gear Club aren't AAA enough to appeal to the battlefield and Forza crowd.

Th0rnhead

Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see them create their own IP. Would be interesting to see what they put together.

Feel like that's probably what they've been up to. Or they're trying to reimagine an older Nintendo IP.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Retro is working on Eternal Darkness 2. Marcmywords.

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
Yeah I'm kinda expecting a 3D collectathon Donkey Kong game from them. And the idea...kind excites me. Especially now after playing Odyssey. I just love these types of games, especially when they're highly polished.

I wouldn't mind a new IP though!