• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017

John: Within a few days we had broken even on the previous 2 years' investment, which was good because all 3 of us were deep in financial holes (I had $50k of credit card debt), had spent our life savings, and we owed 2 of our contractors quite a bit of money for work done in good faith during the Banner Saga: Factions days.

John: Right about that time, a legal challenge from King over the trademark of 'Banner Saga' came to a head. For over 6 months, we had been blocked from trademarking the name of the game. King made the offer to own the trademark, but 'let us use it'. Uh, no. It ended up working out well, King treated us properly, and no hard feelings resulted.

Stoic posted a discussion where some of the developers of the Banner Saga Trilogy reflect on the release of the original game. Touch on how dire things got towards the end of development and how everything managed to turn out in the end.

There's also a quick mention of Stoic's next project...

Alex: Seven years after we first set out in metaphorical longships to create our own game dev studio, we've seen other developers come and go. We've seen the coming of the "indie apocalypse" and felt how hard it is to make a living doing your own games. And we're still here and going strong! Stoic's continuing to grow bigger than it's ever been before, and we're wading heavily into a new project with new ambitions and aspirations. We can't wait to be able to talk more about it soon and we hope you'll come along with us to a new world, with new stories to tell in a new game.

Not much info out there on that upcoming game aside from some UE4 job postings. Some of which point to online features but nothing definitive.

ugWMI21.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I loved the hell out of the Banner Saga series and thought it was well done. The story, art, characters, world building, and fear all made for a wonderful game in my opinion. I cannot wait to see what they do next. I wish them well and hope they continue to do amazing things.

Oct 27, 2017
I loved the hell out of the Banner Saga series and thought it was well done. The story, art, characters, world building, and fear all made for a wonderful game in my opinion. I cannot wait to see what they do next. I wish them well and hope they continue to do amazing things.

I want more from this world. I just plowed through all three games. Had a great time with it.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
Having recently finished it Banner Saga is probably one of the most cohesive grand games published by an Indie developer and puts most other RPGs, AAA or otherwise, to shame. I'd be excited to see whatever they do next.

Night Hunter

Dec 5, 2017
As someone who likes to own his games physically, the announcement of the Trilogy Disc made me quite happy back then, even though I already owned 1 and 2.

Absolutely terrific games, and unless it's a GaaS or Multiplayer only title I can say that I'll follow Stoic wherever they decide to go next.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I loved Banner Saga. It's such a well designed adventure. Well adventure might be the wrong word since the world is quite bleak. I met many characters that left quite an impression on me, especially some of the women. They were so well written. Some of my decisions had even had consequences i didn't expect. Just the caravan management aspect could have have been a little more consequentual. Amazing games!

I'm happy to hear that the games were a success for them and i'm eager to see what they work on next.