• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This isn't even the first thread this weekend that I've entered where the OP was already banned, jeez.

This seemed like it was straight out of a joke "how to traumatize your children" book one of my friends picked up for me. Kids deserve agency just like anyone else.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I say "what type of cheese would you like before I throw it on your face"
He hardly ever says muenster.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I was for a while

Now I'm a hungry guy in a restaurant behind several tables of families who are allowed to be the center of the universe while apparently I can't be. Scoff, unbelievable.
original.gif

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it was going to be a thread about disliking kids menus and to have kids try more regular 'adult' food sooner. The OP went off in a weird direction...

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I don't have kids but my sister has two kids and had a system for ordering food with them.

before the server arrives, my sister will tell the kids all the stuff available and let the kids pick, and she already knows how they like certain things (like what they want on a burger) but will still double check with them that they still want lettuce and tomato or what have you

She then repeats it to them so they can remember what they are ordering, and then lets them order the food from the server themselves, helping out if they forget a bit here or there.

She did that for a bit, but now the kids can easily order food on their own, and even if it takes them a bit longer than adults, it's because they are still learning the ropes, give um a second.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
Nah boss. When I was a kid my parents existed to serve me, shit like this wouldn't fly. Moms getting bitten and dad is getting punched in the eye if I don't get my way.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I tells ya, you can't go about life with a pole up your ass, but it's extremely noticeable.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I don't have kids but my sister has two kids and had a system for ordering food with them.

before the server arrives, my sister will tell the kids all the stuff available and let the kids pick, and she already knows how they like certain things (like what they want on a burger) but will still double check with them that they still want lettuce and tomato or what have you

She then repeats it to them so they can remember what they are ordering, and then lets them order the food from the server themselves, helping out if they forget a bit here or there.

She did that for a bit, but now the kids can easily order food on their own, and even if it takes them a bit longer than adults, it's because they are still learning the ropes, give um a second.

Yep. Also, be firm with the server and tell them you definitely need more time. A good server will take the hint and wait for you to catch their eye.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
lol op clearly hasn't interacted with a child during dinner, they're gunna throw the mother of all fits if they dont like what they see in front of them and you don't wanna be that parent going "If you don't eat what I tell you you dont eat at all" at a restaurant.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I can't help but wonder if children who are given lots of choices on what they want to eat end up becoming picky eaters. Have there been any studies on this? I have known children who will only eat like 4 or 5 different things, every day they would eat the same thing because they were allowed to chose to do so. I have known children who will enjoy anything and everything. I wonder what causes it. It is well known that what people like and dislike when it comes to food is heavily determined by culture. Is the family culture also a heavy influence?

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
If you do this, your kids will let you know they don't like it and it will turn into something you'll have to deal with one way or another. By just asking your kid what they want, you can avoid either having to send food back, or forcing your kid to eat something they don't want, or whatever.

It's being time efficient because you're avoiding future bullshit drama.
Yup, good luck trying to make a kid eat something they don't want. It's a battle that needs to be avoided. Also it's super important to give children a sense of agency even if you are trying to push them into a specific choice.

God damn some folks are insufferable assholes when it comes to children.

They have to learn just like you did. All the shit that bothers you we all went through.

All the little things like how to decide what they want when in public.
Obviously Op wasn't able to make these choices when he was a kid. Break the chain OP, don't repeat the same mistakes of the past.

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
How about, "Ask them what they want before they are up to order". That I'll fucking agree 100%.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
I can't help but wonder if children who are given lots of choices on what they want to eat end up becoming picky eaters. Have there been any studies on this? I have known children who will only eat like 4 or 5 different things, every day they would eat the same thing because they were allowed to chose to do so. I have known children who will enjoy anything and everything. I wonder what causes it. It is well known that what people like and dislike when it comes to food is heavily determined by culture. Is the family culture also a heavy influence?

I certainly can't speak for any kids but my own, and usually not even them. What I can say for certain is that I have twins and they just randomly switched eating roles at some point. The picky eater will now eat anything and the kid that would eat anything is now a picky eater. Some things just don't make sense.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
I was talking with my friend in the car about this a few weeks ago. I mentioned that when we were both kids our parents never asked us where we wanted to eat, and we were always so happy to go out somewhere, it was a special treat. They didn't have to ask what we wanted to eat, they already knew. And we already knew our parents would order good food, just like they would prepare good food at home.

truly101

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm guessing the now banned OP is in their early to mid 20s. that seems to be the age bracket where people seem to have the least tolerance for children. Though, to be fair, I feel similar about a lot of people in their 20s so whatever.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Parenting tips from somebody who isn't a parent, and clearly never taken care of children before.

Seems solid.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I ate off the adult menu pretty often as a kid because kids choices are garbage and I could eat more than my mom would.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Sounds like the OP was a waiter or waitress and had to deal with a long response from a kid.

he was really just whining that he had to wait too long for his food... and being a total douche about it, hence the ban... but yes he was a waiter "for a while"

I was for a while

Now I'm a hungry guy in a restaurant behind several tables of families who are allowed to be the center of the universe while apparently I can't be. Scoff, unbelievable.

god dammnit... i've tried to avoid this fucking thread all day and still wound up knowing too much about it

that's enough resetera for today

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Okay OP. I did what you asked and it turned into a much bigger deal. Now the kids are upset and the wait staff are trying to help out. I hope you can wait just a little bit longer.

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
Personally if I ever have kids (lol) then I'll let them make their choice but they gotta decide in 0.5 nanoseconds otherwise it's the scraps that I didn't finish because I was full again.

Ain't got time to waste by doing stuff like 'looking at the menu' and 'deciding what you want to eat today'.

RedBlue

Oct 27, 2017
Queens, NY
How are the people that we're just seated at a restaurant slowing the OP down anyway? Those people will still be there by the time OP has been seated and ordering. Is OP just assuming that kids are taking all day?

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Who the fuck lets their kid push them around like this lmao

Don't have kids if this is how you handle it. Don't even have a dog either tbh

I have a child, now grown up but needing help in many ways, mainly because of autism. Sometimes in public they still need my help. Quite often this basic human interaction between a needy, childlike person and their carer is unnecessarily complicated by some busybody who knows nothing about me or my child, but is nevertheless so sure that I need to "handle" my child.

I've never actually been provoked by this kind of behaviour. The people who make situations like this personal are rare and seldom have any support. I stand my ground, politely, and wait for the nutter to get tired and go away.

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
I can understand and agree with the OP in certain scenarios that I've experienced. Some parent holding up a line asking their kid, who has the attention span of about 2 seconds, what they want to pick out from a selection. The parent doesnt give a shit that people are waiting, and repeats the question 10 times.

parent: what drink would you like?
kid: *not listening
parent: Jimmy, what drink would you like?
kid: *points to a chocolate bar
parent: no thats a chocolate bar, you've already had that today. What drink would you like?
kid: *stares at the ceiling
parent: Jimmy. Jimmy, what drink would you like?
kid: *points to cookie
parent: No not the cookie. What drink would you like? What drink, Jimmy?
Me: JUST PICK FOR THE LITTLE FUCKER YOU DICKHEAD

Oct 25, 2017
My nephew would rather eat something he despises than let his mom order food for him without asking him first.
What a weird thing to get upset about.