• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
We should just eliminate all choices in all foods! From henceforth people will only eat Chicken Nuggets and Mac and Cheese, per OP's request.

You truly are revolutionary OP. Without choices you won't ever have to wait for any food ever!

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
No, my kids are fully capable of determining what food they would like to pick when we go out and will continue to do so.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Depends on age range.
2-5: There is a kid's menu and you kind of know what your kid likes. Maybe on the higher end of the range, give them two choices.
5+: They can typically read and can make a choice for themselves.

Although, my mother is a big fan of "never reason with a child, they're incapable of reason" and would just choose for us and godforbid I throw a tantrum. But I also only ate like 3 things so meh.

Katamari

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
We ask our kids what they want before the server gets there and then order for them when the server arrives. Best combination of giving the kids choices and not wasting our servers' time.

This is the better answer than taking away choices from kids.

Imagine how Chris Christie felt when Trump ordered food for him. That's you OP.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Giving a kid a choice can often lead to them being more keen to eat it, which is what you want in a restaurant. As long as you're giving them options you know they'll eat.

I'm going to guess OP doesn't have kids, and that this is one of those "you don't have kids, so you wouldn't understand" moments that people without kids get touchy about.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, OP. Let the kids choose.
Really depends on the restaurant and the pickiness of the kid.
Most higher end restaurants don't have kids menus, so either you can end up sharing with parents or getting a half portion
The best case scenario is a buffet style or Asian-style meal where they can get what they want or say mcdonalds of which they might know what they want

Shiloh

Oct 25, 2017
When I used to work at Qdoba and there was a long line, an indecisive kid can be absolutely frustrating to you, and everyone in line behind them.

Nothing to get too angry over though.

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
If the kid is taking an excessively long time to decide, then the parent should encourage the child to hurry up and pick something out of respect for the others in the restaurant, but it's a good idea to let kids decide what they want even if the choices from which they get to pick are limited for dietary or financial reasons. That's just normal parenting, OP.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
If your kid is under 5, you should give them the illusion of choice and make them feel like they have control "OH do you want a grilled cheese sandwich instead? I want one, yum!". That way they have higher chance of eating it. If you just get them what you think is right, you might end up in tantrum town.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
God damn some folks are insufferable assholes when it comes to children.

They have to learn just like you did. All the shit that bothers you we all went through.

All the little things like how to decide what they want when in public.

Deleted member 1041

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scene: OP at a restaurant
Time: Evening

OP is sitting at the table, patiently waiting for a waiter to come by. He feels the stale breadsticks they left him. "What terrible service" he thinks to himself, eyeing what appears to be a unit of people with little kids. The waiter stops by this table first, ignoring the OP.

Waiter: Hello welcome to Fudd Ruckers! Are you guys ready to order!

The OP watches as the family orders one by one, many of them still daring to browse through the menus. In unabated breath, the OP says, audible to himself and anyone a foot from him:

OP: Man I sure wish I got service! I don't even have kids, don't have time for that!

OP takes a crunch out of a stale breadstick, mindfully chewing at his piece. He bit the piece with the most seasoning, his favorite. He discarded the rest of the breadstick in the basket, along with the other half-bitten breadsticks. He didn't have time to finish any of them. The family is almost done ordering, and they get to the last two children.

Waiter: And what do you little dudes want to get?
Boy: Uhm. Uhhm. Uhmm.
Girl: Uhhhhhhhh I want... um I want...I want..
Father: Come on Jimmy and Jane, tell the happy man what you want
Boy: Can I, can I, can I, can I, can I...he motions to a picture in the menu. At this point OP has had enough.
OP: Speaking slightly higher- Order for your damn kid
Seemingly nobody heard him.
Girl: Can I get uhm...a burger......
OP: THIS IS A WASTE OF TIME.
Nobody heard OP despite raising his voice by 2 decimals. This was a restaurant after all.
Waiter: Take your time guys ;)
OP: THIS IS A TRAVESTY
The breadsticks trembled under the OPs time-saving argument.
Boy: Ok can I uhmm but can you uhmm Burger?
OP: FOR FUCKS SAKE
In a fit of anger OP stands up with such force that the breadstakes launch off the table. He marches over to the table with the family, his dinner ruined.
OP: ORDER FOR YOUR KIDS. STOP WASTING MY TIME. THIS IS MY TIME. MINE. YOU STUPID KIDS DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT YOU WANT. YOU'RE STUPID. AND YOU'RE KIDS. WAITER I DEMAND YOU SERVICE ME NOW, I'M A PAYING CUSTOMER WHO KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT!!
And everyone started clapping. They stood up, and started clapping for the OP. Atleast, that's how the OP saw it as the police came and placed him in handcuffs for disturbing the peace.
Officer: You have the right to re-
OP: THE KIDS! THE KIDS WOULDN'T ORDER! IT WAS THE KIDS FAULT NOT ME! THEY'RE A TIME WASTER!

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017

It is. We've been taking our daughter to restaurants since she was a baby. She can read the kids menu and make a decision without changing her mind and getting an attitude. I don't know what the impetus for this thread but not everyone's kid is an indecisive piece of trash.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd wager a guess most of these kids have more patience and handle situations where they don't get what they want better than the OP

Dermee

Dec 16, 2017
Thanks for the ridiculous (and unsolicited) parenting advice... I get new threads on my twitter feed and threads like this make me cringe hard.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
It's a kid

They probably either want something bland with tons of cheese, boneless fried chicken, or nothing.

Just order for them and have it in mind beforehand.

Got stuck behind indecisive family at a fast food restaurant? We like to give our children choices, although they our choices. You get more buy in when they feel like they have a choice

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, I'm an adult. I can eat as many chicken tenders as I want with my hard earned money. Just because the menu says "kids" doesnt make it exclusive! So what if I really want a grilled cheese sandwich. And yes I want extra whip cream on my hot chocolate.
My kind of people.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
OPs too preoccupied eating food and getting less hangry.

I know I wouldn't go back into a thread where I embarrassed myself in righteous hanger. Click click ignore my own thread.

psynergyadept

Oct 26, 2017
So a " my time is better than your time"

Should've arrived earlier then.

Edit: I swear; people act lik they were never kids! I guess they were born wearing a business suit, a suitcase, and a copy of the Wall Street journal.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Why even have menus? The family should have planned better and called ahead and ordered their food by phone to maximize efficiency.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a kid

They probably either want something bland with tons of cheese, boneless fried chicken, or nothing.

I feel for you OP. We've all been there watching our friends' kids deliberate on the menu, pick something weird, and inevitable meltdown when it finally comes out and they don't like it.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao ok OP. You are going out to eat as a treat for the kid. At home I make healthy meals that the kid is forced to eat.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is there a reason so much toxicity towards kids pops up on this board every so often? Why do you even give a fuck about parents that let their kids pick what they want to eat?

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
So a " my time is better than your time"

Should've arrived earlier then.
I really don't want to die on this hill with OP, but I was recently in a super packed restaurant where you get in line to order where a parent went one by one to each of their three little kids and did the whole "okay, what do you want? Look at the pictures! .... Speak up, they can't hear you. They still can't hear you, louder" thing. It felt really inconsiderate of everyone else's time, especially since they could have worked all of this out beforehand using the menus in line. Maybe save this life lesson for Saturday afternoon and not a busy Friday evening.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
It's a kid

Fuck outta here. Time inefficient shit? Having kids is "time inefficient" if you want to really be honest about it.
Let the kid be a kid and have some agency in his life. If he takes 10 minutes to figure it out, thems the breaks.

Wally_Wall

Oct 26, 2017
You allow your children to make as many decisions possible at the earliest age and they will grow up more decisive and confident.

Apr 14, 2018
This is the worst OP I have ever read. No offence, but what? The fact that I has choice as a child is the reason why I'm not a picky eater now — I'd try everything. I can't imagine how I'd turn out if my mom just kept ordering bland shit for me without any say...

I'd probably turn out like my nephew who now only eats McDonald's fries and chicken nuggets.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
What if you don't know what's on the menu? If it's a sit down restaurant you need the menu first.

I can agree that you should help your child figure out what to get by the time the server comes to take the order. And at fast food places I'll stay out of the line until my kids know what they're getting.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
every time i think i've seen the weirdest hill for an ERA poster to die on, something new comes along