• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whenever a controversial thread pops up here, there are bound to be people who try to rile up the crowd. Unfortunately I think a lot of people fall for the bait, because they are getting exactly what they want when a barrage of people respond to them. They obviously expect and probably even want to get banned as a way to either prove some form of self - righteousness or to just cause the most trouble. While they do deserve to be banned, I don't think it's productive or really useful to waste time on them, just report and move on.

Oct 25, 2017
Good reason to avoid those threads. You just know people are going to cause trouble, derail, it'll be a mess.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As a general rule, I would expand this to "don't waste time on people clearly debating in bad faith".

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
There's a Report button on every post.

People should use these instead of filling up the thread with snarky one-liners to get back at the obvious trolls.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
In addition, stop "hate reading" comments or tweets or whatever just to let everyone know the obvious thing people assumed to be dumb is actually dumb.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"Just ignore the trolls" says guy who's probably not the target of trolling

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
"Just ignore the trolls" says guy who's probably not the target of trolling
People get a rush when someone responses to them on the internet whether it's good or bad. Posting trolling messages fulfills this need cause everybody gets up in arms. Oheao's saying don't feed into it and just use the report button. Easier said than done but you gotta check yourself before checking others.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
In addition, stop "hate reading" comments or tweets or whatever just to let everyone know the obvious thing people assumed to be dumb is actually dumb.

This!

Every political thread seems to be populated by Twitter hot takes from known morons - and the posts seems to have no purpose other than to get everyone riled up.

E.g. the exact intended purpose from said morons

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017
"Report and move on" if you want to see someone catch a warning.

"Derail thread then report" if you want to see someone catch a ban.

At least, from what I've witnessed.