• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ggx2ac

Sales Heaven or Sales Hell?
Oct 25, 2017
I get it, you pride yourself so much on gaming that you probably refer to yourself as "hardcore" but, the world doesn't revolve around you.

What I care about is, that you stop referring to other people who also like playing games, but happen to not have the same tastes as you being labelled as a "Casual".

The "casuals" don't go around labelling themselves as a "casual". Those people are not "casuals" just because they like to play Animal Crossing or Pokémon and you don't.

When a publisher decides they want to make a game that (you feel) doesn't cater to you, throwing a tantrum isn't going to make the publisher drop everything and go get you your rattle just to make you feel better.

Lastly, being a gatekeeper for certain videogames will only ensure that they will slide into irrelevance as time goes on due to isolating yourself from the rest of the gaming community.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Do people do that here, though? Online in general, sure. But I haven't seen anyone use the term casual in that way here in a loooong time.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
Do people do that here, though? Online in general, sure. But I haven't seen anyone use the term casual in that way here in a loooong time.

This game will continue to sell even after the Gen 8 title is announced.....diffrent audiences.

They main thing holding this game back right now is the Switch Price point. Let's Go will have a revival next spring/summer when they drop the Switch Price and and a bunch of casuals pick it up for Animal Crossing.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to strut around literally calling people 'casuals' (most people don't actually do that) but 'casual' is a useful and descriptive word that I'm not going to stop using just because it can be mean when used in a specific context.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
My gf plays Candy Crush on her phone. That's literally the only thing she plays, and only on the bus. She calls herself a casual gamer. Should I be outraged, OP?

Tirisfal

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
London
I don't think it's to do with different tastes in what games people play, but in how they play it that determines being called a casual. People that don't play as much and/or play games on the easiest settings are usually the ones being labeled as casual.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
When a publisher decides they want to make a game that (you feel) doesn't cater to you, throwing a tantrum isn't going to make the publisher drop everything and go get you your rattle just to make you feel better
I hate using "casual/hardcore" , but people SHOULD voice when they don't like something about a game.

Specially since in the GaaS era, the ability to to listen player feedback is really important and it's what makes good games.

It's Funny to te how un this forum, people usually talk about hardcore games forbsingle player games, but consider MP ganes to be casual, but in reality, it's walays harder to beat another human being in any game.

Trace

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Everyone that has not developed and published a game is a casual and their arguments are invalid.

We need to keep raising the bar until there is only one "hardcore" person left in the world.

And his name? Albert Einstein.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But how will they know that I'm better than them at games
/s
. On a serious note I think people who say this have nothing else going on in their lives.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Casual really doesn't have to be derogatory though. I know many people who call themselves casual gamers.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
There's nothing wrong with using the word casual to describe the type of audience that exists at the opposite end of the type of audience you woul call enthusiasts.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
I think casual is an ok description. You don't have to be deeply involved in everything.

Sandersson

Banned
Feb 5, 2018
Spoken like a filthy casul. Git gud or die tryin, if you havent finish DS1-3, YOU ARE NOT ON MY GAMER LEVEL.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Being called a casual gamer shouldn't upset you that much. I mean even when people say "filthy casual" it's just a joke. On the flips side people who are "hardcore" gamers are often referred to as no life losers by casuals. It goes both ways.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Casual should be a badge of honor, it means you have other interests and probably have a better social life
Hardcore is just code for nerd

j/k

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't have said 'the casuals' but, like, you're still inferring negative intent where there was none. cw_sasuke isn't throwing a tantrum or looking down upon 'the casuals' with that post. cw_sasuke was saying it's likely that Let's Go will have long legs as the Switch's appeal is broadened over time and as the device itself becomes an easier sell to the non-'hardcore' contingent.

OP
OP
ggx2ac

ggx2ac

Oct 25, 2017
My gf plays Candy Crush on her phone. That's literally the only thing she plays, and only on the bus. She calls herself a casual gamer. Should I be outraged, OP?
Casual really doesn't have to be derogatory though. I know many people who call themselves casual gamers.

There's a difference to what I'm saying "Casuals" and what you guys are saying "Casual gamers".

One is obviously meant as a toxic label, look up on Google: Casuals are ruining gaming
And see what results you get.

feroca

Banned
May 12, 2018
What always amuses me is when the term is used to refer as lesser, dumber, ignorant games or gamers.

Nerdkiller

Resettlement Advisor
razers-ceo-showed-us-the-meme-that-inspired-the-creation-of-the-firms-new-killer-laptop.jpg

Driggonny

Oct 26, 2017
Getting these boys to date me in Harvest Moon is a hardcore experience if I've ever experienced one :,(

And I've been playing bayonetta on infinite climax!

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I think of someone casual as someone who has a passing interest not like people on this videogame forum. Not a bad thing but they usually have different game preferences. Some people just dont randomly pick up niche japanese titles that people here love.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
As a pejorative it seems like its more used ironically than in seriousness nowadays.

As a serious term its unfortunately rather unclear because it can refer to different things - how much people play, what sort of games people play and whether they approach in a serious competitive manner or are just messing around.

Status
Not open for further replies.