• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipyql-xRpcA&pp=ygUQU3RvcmllcyBmcm9tIHNvbA%3D%3D

www.gematsu.com

Stories from Sol: The Gun-Dog launches this winter for PS5, PS4, Switch, and PC

Science-fiction visual novel Stories from Sol: The Gun-Dog for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam this winter, publisher Astrolabe Games and developer Space Colony Studios annou…

Story
Stories from Sol: The Gun-Dog is a visual novel adventure in the spirit of classic PC-9800 titles. Featuring a vintage green screen aesthetic, Space Colony Studios strives to create an "era-accurate" game that exudes retro vibes in every way, from the text to the visual effects. As the Jovian patrol ship sails into the darkness among the stars, the players will feel like they are on an adventure in an 80s Sci-Fi as they solve the mystery they find themselves in.

Physical Edition Details
dditionally, Astrolabe Games announced that it has partnered with PM Studios in North America and Meridiem Games in Europe to release physical editions of Stories from Sol: The Gun-Dog. It will be available for PlayStation 5 in North America, and for PlayStation 5 and Switch in Europe.

ss_7f600abbe5f0b003046d4e3fb33ca57e966190da.jpg

ss_bce077d572db31f86128a22b99b3a0ea4b853d8b.jpg

ss_8af0d741d133029dcb5004bb85eb8f5c5a06f9c9.jpg

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Damn I really wish this was in color like the key art. I absolutely love that style of character in older VNs but I just can't stand the monochrome look. At least in green. If we can change that I might take a look.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
I tried out the demo. I like the concept, but not sold on the aesthetic choices. All the intense chiptune music can get a bit fatiguing for a game where you're reading most of the time.

Also not sure the monochrome art is an improvement vs going with the limited palette full color look that is more familiar with PC-98 games.

No, it's a text adventure game. I mean, people will call anything with reading in it a VN these days, but this is an adventure game.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Man the art in this looks gorgeous but they lose me at the monochromatic look. I understand it is trying to chase a very specific retro platform with the aesthetic but I wish it was full color.

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing this game before, liking the style but eventually forgetting about it. Still looking nice so far.

CutieYuri

Oct 7, 2022
Wow, I love the look of this from the trailers and screenshots. I will keep an eye out for the full release!

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
EDIT: Ignore me I might've been wrong.

Later PC98 models were all colour but the oldest ones might've been green and black.

tokkun

Oct 27, 2017
Man the art in this looks gorgeous but they lose me at the monochromatic look. I understand it is trying to chase a very specific retro platform with the aesthetic but I wish it was full color.

Was there really a specific platform like this?

It says it's going for PC-98 in the description of the Youtube trailer, but even PC-9801 supported 8 colors, and models supported more colors by the time of the 90s art style they are using.

Also with the music, maybe you could do that stuff with the hardware of the era, but it sounds more like the 2000s chiptunes style than what was produced back then, IMO.

Feels more like a "retro mashup" of stuff from different eras, but maybe there was a specific platform like this that I'm not aware of.

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
The audio frequently has this annoying sound that makes it sound broken. Not sure if it's a bug or by design but I tapped out quickly.