• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximum Spider

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Cleveland, OH
*spoiler tags are encouraged*

First things first: I totally stole this idea from Waypoint Radio (episode 249). A listener of theirs asked which choices they had regret making most in games. I instantly recalled my recent playthrouh of Fallout 4~

I was nearing endgame and I needed to prepare myself for my final battle against The Institute. I knew I wanted to get The Railroad ending but absentmindedly I asked The Minutemen to help with the teleporter and before I knew it I was locked into an end route I didn't want. I tried to go back to old save files but they were all too old. It put a damper on things considering that I didn't spend very much time with that faction and felt little connection to them.

Anyways, what narrative choices do you regret making most?

Deleted member 26746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Saving the fat guy in the first Dead Rising...leading all my survivors to die in my first playtrough....

Also every RPG where an ally leaves the party forever with your equipment

jml

Mar 9, 2018
In Witcher 3

I didn't recruit everybody for the big Kaer Morhen battle, I think I missed out on one or two characters. The battle itself ended up being my favorite moment in the game so I wish I recruited everyone beforehand to give it a real "all hands on deck" feeling.

Deleted member 7130

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suppose I've been lucky/willing to replay entire sections to end up not regretting my outcomes.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I mean it's more to do with Ashley being a fucking space racist rather than an argument for Kaiden.

Kaiden, in every fibre of his being, is a potato.
Her being a space racist is fine if she got better in 2 and 3 but her character and design got even worse lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I killed Solaire one time in Dark Souls and still feel bad about it.

Anyway #KaidenSquad

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Bioware in general has some really good ones. Forcing Zalabar to kill Mission with a jedi mind trick, killing Mordin to stop the genophage cure, siding with Loghain in Dragon Age, etc. They really let you play as an asshole.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
I sure did groom myself into a great member of the Scarlet Chorus in my quest to turn them against Kyros in Tyranny, that's for sure.

JohanKRS

Oct 27, 2017
Torres, RS - Brazil
I'm playing Sekiro right now, and I just gave the big guy in Mount Kongo the red and white pinwheel... Five minutes later I've found the pure white he wanted... I done goofed, didn't I?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not killing Emily in Until Dawn.

I thought it was the right thing to do, then she does this which was totally uncalled for.

tumblr_nupi6weSQ81u5vyfyo1_250.gif

I considered restarting the game to change the outcome.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Witcher 3 . I accidntly chose to fight Keira Metz. I just liked the dialouge Geralt had with that option. I just decided to keep the choice rather than redoing it. Turns out she's one of the friends you recruit to help you with the batle at Kaer Morhen. The only character I didn't recruit because I killed her.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing Sekiro right now, and I just gave the big guy in Mount Kongo the red and white pinwheel... Five minutes later I've found the pure white he wanted... I done goofed, didn't I?
Unless you sent him somewhere, he'll always take the white pinwheel.

Miyazaki must be slipping. Quests are too easy.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
In retrospect, it wasn't a great idea to trust that thing that lived under the tree in The Witcher 3.

I'd even read the in-game book about a monster that lives under a tree and hadn't made the connection :P

dorjjj

Oct 31, 2017
Whatever led me to the bad ending of Witcher 3. I was feeling down for at least a week or so.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This one choice in Nier Automata is probably gonna haunt me forever

Erasing Pascal's memories

Man going back to that village...the children's cores...

Game pretty much ripped my heart out and stomped on it, I had been doing so well but I just broke down and started crying at that point.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I've never felt more like an evil bastard than the Closed Fist path of Jade Empire. Enslaving all your teammates while they constantly tell you what a piece shit of you are, betraying the Water Dragon and keeping her in a state worse than death along with Death's Hand. Selling that mother and daughter back into slavery right after giving them hope of rescue.....

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018

I thought it was the right thing to do, then she does this which was totally uncalled for.

Like hell it was uncalled for. Ashley and Mike almost killed her because they just assumed she could turn with no evidence.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Not high fiving Ellie that one time you cross and she holds her hand up simply because I didn't notice. I don't remember very well, but I might've tried to replay that section to get it right lol, I felt bad that's for sure.

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
In Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, there's some absolutely devastating choices to be made. The one I have in mind happens early, and it's a huge spoiler and requires some set up.
So it's been a while, but IIRC it goes something like this:

You are one of many rebels fighting to free your country from oppressive rulers. Ostensibly, you start as righteous freedom fighters. It becomes apparent early on that the leader of the rebellion is an extremist that will stop at nothing to achieve his goals. Denam, the protagonist, is an idealist that wants a better world, but he's easily roped into their cause due to desperation.

After some successful campaigns working within the rebellion, you conquer a village; and then, as a test of loyalty, you are ordered to butcher the inhabitants. You are given two choices: disobey and betray the rebellion, or participate in the slaughter and prove yourself to the cause.

I literally recoiled when I saw the choice, but I had to know where the game would take me. Up to that point, I had played Denam as utterly devoted to freeing his country, so it didn't feel out of character. So I had Denam follow orders.

I radicalised Denam.

That choice sets Denam on the Lawful path of LUCT's story, one filled with tragedy, betrayal, and despair. Denam sees his country freed, but the price is high--he sacrifices everything for the cause, and the world marches on. It's a powerful, horrifying, and tragic story.

But suffice it to say, making that choice destroyed me. It's so wrong. I literally had to stop and ponder if I could even go through with it because it's just so unconscionable, even in a game. But I led the character there, and had to see it through.

...Gods, I love Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle.

Acquiescence

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Lake Titicaca
I'm still kicking myself for handing over the bus tickets in Detroit: Become Human to this day. So much for being a good Samaritan.

But why would you want to kill off the best character in the game.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I will regret saving Ashley Williams until the day I die.
I mean it's more to do with Ashley being a fucking space racist rather than an argument for Kaiden.

Kaiden, in every fibre of his being, is a potato.

Ashley at least made for some interesting narrative stuff, and you hate her because of her opinions and dynamic in the squad.

Kaiden is an absolute blank slate. He's carth onasi but somehow more boring. At least carth was interesting with how whiny he was.

The "Glass Him" in The Wolf Among Us
Choosing Yukiko over Chie

Forgive me.

It's not a mistake my son, Yukiko 4 Lyf.

Only people who chose ann in P5 should be ashamed of there words and deeds.

For Mine: Missing the Leonardo Hug in AC2 because i put my controller down.....

tumblr_okh9sa9vSf1v1o0fao1_500.gif

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Ive seen plenty of justified, yet wrong, reasons for hating Emily, but this is the most "someone judging from the outside" bs ever. Ashley straight up almost convinces Mike to shoot their friend in the face based on literally NOTHING but her own panic and then has the gall to be like "Good news! :D!"

Ashley deserved that slap more than anyone.

Omanisat

Sep 25, 2018
North Bay, Canada
Ashley at least made for some interesting narrative stuff, and you hate her because of her opinions and dynamic in the squad.

Kaiden is an absolute blank slate. He's carth onasi but somehow more boring. At least carth was interesting with how whiny he was.

It's not a mistake my son, Yukiko 4 Lyf.

Only people who chose ann in P5 should be ashamed of there words and deeds.

For Mine: Missing the Leonardo Hug in AC2 because i put my controller down.....

tumblr_okh9sa9vSf1v1o0fao1_500.gif
Kaiden can open locked containers. That alone makes him better then Ash.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Mine is a little unconventional but stands out to me as the only time I ever restarted a video game because of a choice I made.

Fairly early in RDR2, Arthur Morrigan (obviously this should be Morgan but my autocorrect loves Morrigan, it seems) is tasked with collecting debts from the loan shark in the gang. You visit a man who doesn't speak English and Arthur is really threatening and hostile. The man manages to communicate that Arthur can take things from around his house to make up the debt.

While you're going through his drawers and cabinets, he is standing nervously in front of a small side table. It's not immediately obvious but it might occur to you that he is standing in front of the drawer to conceal whatever is inside.

Even though I had collected enough money for the debt, I wanted to see what he was hiding, and as Arthur approaches him he does tell him to get out of the way. I felt like I was about to discover something cool.

Much to the man's distress, when Arthur raids the drawer all that's in it is a plain wedding band. What he was hiding wasn't particularly valuable, it was just special for him, and I'd just taken it from him even though I didn't need to. The debt was covered.

This affected me profoundly. I tried to find a way to put it back or give it back to him but you couldn't. And even though Arthur was completely stone-faced and unfeeling, I felt sick, because despite all the cowboy killing and thievery this was the first thing I'd done as Arthur that felt deeply wrong of me to do.

I couldn't keep playing the game because I couldn't relate or self-insert to a character who'd just done that. Let alone me know that I was the one who'd done it. That wasn't the story I wanted to keep playing.

So I restarted my game and this time made sure not to take the wedding ring.

Last edited:

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I suppose I've been lucky/willing to replay entire sections to end up not regretting my outcomes.
This is me as well. By the end of the game i never feel like i regreat my decisions, even if i make some wrong decisions, its part of the experience. But if my decision had deep consequences like one of the characetrs i like dieying or turning hostile, i usually replay the section to correct that.

May 9, 2018
Accusing the wrong person in the serial killer quest in Skyrim. Even though, or perhaps because of, how shallow and one-note the non-essential NPCs are in that game, I felt terrible when my wrong call resulted in two more victims. They were so innocent, living such simple and uncomplicated lives! They didn't deserve this!