• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Hopper always taking down trained military men when he's supposed to be a fat, lazy drunkard is funny.
I'm pretty sure that, while he's fat, drunk and decadent now, he's supposed to know a thing or two about fighting, considering he's a Vietnam War veteran and has been in the NYPD before returning to Hawkins as a depressed, decadent drunkard.

Being huge help in a fight too.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So Will is gay right?

I dont think that's the right read. I think its more of a case of a child who has lost 2 years of his life being tormented by the Mind Flayer while his friends weren't. So while his friends are rocketing into their teenage years and girls and everything, Will lost out on those last few years of childhood and is desperately clinging to it. All of which results in him being a late bloomer.

atamize

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed the season, despite the leaps in logic. I'm a sucker for 80s references.

Lots of standing around staring at the monster instead of you know, running away.

Hopper being the police chief could have called for backup numerous times but didn't because of reasons. No one would believe him? He doesn't have to explain anything, just say bring guns and get ready to shoot shit.

Kids could have escaped the Russians in the mall pretty easily by following this tactic.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Will could be gay, but I don't think that's necessarily the crux of the "you don't like girls" thing. As Solo mentioned, I think the specific dynamic at play in this season is him just trying to regain/hold onto a sense of childhood normalcy while all his friends are moving on to slightly more mature things.

Dec 4, 2017
London
I dont think that's the right read. I think its more of a case of a child who has lost 2 years of his life being tormented by the Mind Flayer while his friends weren't. So while his friends are rocketing into their teenage years and girls and everything, Will lost out on those last few years of childhood and is desperately clinging to it. All of which results in him being a late bloomer.

I''m not sure that's convincing but ultimately I don't think there's a read to be made at all at the moment.

The show has hinted that he *might* be gay or rather that other characters think that's the case. They've popped a question mark over his head for the viewer, but that's it. It could be a late bloomer thing, it could be that he'll turn out to be gay, but the character doesn't necessarily know it yet or he could turn out to be asexual.

Or the show may never address it at all beyond other characters making assumptions on his behalf which would be a bit crappy.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed the season, despite the leaps in logic. I'm a sucker for 80s references.

Lots of standing around staring at the monster instead of you know, running away.

Hopper being the police chief could have called for backup numerous times but didn't because of reasons. No one would believe him? He doesn't have to explain anything, just say bring guns and get ready to shoot shit.

Kids could have escaped the Russians in the mall pretty easily by following this tactic.

I'd say hopper calling for backup would be out of character.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original pitch document for "Montauk"/Stranger Things said that Will was experiencing "sexuality issues."

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I know that in the first episode of season 1, Joyce mentions to Hopper that Lonnie (Will/Jonathan's dad) thought Will was "a fag", but I took that more to be just an indicator of Lonnie being a dumb asshole who thinks anyone who isn't into stereotypical dude stuff like sports is one of them weird queers, as opposed any sort of real indicator of Will's sexuality.

I gotta say though, assuming it does explicitly go in that direction, dealing with being a gay kid in the 80's on top of all the Upside Down/mindflayer shit is a real tough hand to be dealt.

Pagusas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Frisco, Tx
I''m not sure that's convincing but ultimately I don't think there's a read to be made at all at the moment.

The show has hinted that he *might* be gay or rather that other characters think that's the case. They've popped a question mark over his head for the viewer, but that's it. It could be a late bloomer thing, it could be that he'll turn out to be gay, but the character doesn't necessarily know it yet or he could turn out to be asexual.

Or the show may never address it at all beyond other characters making assumptions on his behalf which would be a bit crappy.

I read it simply as he's under developed and hasnt found that attraction to women, men or anything other than child delights yet. He's still a kid while the rest are slowing turning into horney teens. He is no more gay than he is strait, he's just a child still who doesnt know anything about what he wants.

Chris McQueen

Self-requested ban
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
London
My Hopper
the-bracelet-remained-on-hoppers-wrist-despite-several-decontamination-sequences.jpeg

Ya'll dude
maxresdefault.jpg

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
Finished last night, enjoyed it more than Season 2 though there was a lot that seemed even campier than before.

Also, how many of the episodes ended with a creature snarling at the camera before cutting to credits?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read it simply as he's under developed and hasnt found that attraction to women, men or anything other than child delights yet. He's still a kid while the rest are slowing turning into horney teens. He is no more gay than he is strait, he's just a child still who doesnt know anything about what he wants.
"Its not my fault your into girls" focus and wills reaction is telling

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
God I didn't want it to end. This season was so damn good, and maybe even top season 1 for me, I don't know, but definitely a step up from 2. I think with the mall and the Russian lab being a major setting along with the 4th of july as a backdrop, this season had more style to it. They also definitely pushed more 80s and product placement ha ha.

And I definitely loved the mall group the most. Erica was a great addition to the group, and Steve & Robin were so damn awesome. I just love that they were snooping around in freaking sailor outfits. Can't wait to see more of them.

Now to wait for the next season sigh.

Naked Snake

Oct 27, 2017
I just finished it.

Hopper is alive isn't he? God damn I was ready to give up on this show when they "killed him".

Was fun but overall I enjoyed the previous seasons more, yes even S2.

Edit: wait are you guys still marking spoilers in this thread?

Last edited:

Kintaro

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed this season. I really loved the 80s being shoved in our face because I grew up during that time. The New Coke argument was awesome because that was a big deal back then. I even bought the Stranger Things set and drank my New Coke while watching the show. I loved the promotions they have running it made the season seem like a huge event. I had had similar issues as other people such as the music being over done and terminator, but they weren't huge problems.

Oct 27, 2017
I tried looking, annoying my wife, mid-episode but what the hell was meant by "John Carpenter's The Thing is a classic... but the remake *chefkiss*"? What remake at that time?

Edit: wrong JC lol

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
D id anyone else not like how it felt like Hopper regressed into too much of a jackass again? I can kind of understand creating some friction between him & El because she's becoming more independent/creating a life for herself outside of her relationship with Hopper, but I just felt they went a bit too far with it, considering where we left off with him in season 2.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
man this is a great looking show and this cast... absolutely fantastic. they just keep getting better.

I had some issues (hopper at times for instance), I could nitpick but fuck that, I thought season 3 was excellent.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
D id anyone else not like how it felt like Hopper regressed into too much of a jackass again? I can kind of understand creating some friction between him & El because she's becoming more independent/creating a life for herself outside of her relationship with Hopper, but I just felt they went a bit too far with it, considering where we left off with him in season 2.

Many did not like Hopper all that much this season

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017

He has a lot of baggage and is trying to be a single parent. Him sliding into a a way overly protective dad to the extreme makes sense.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
He has a lot of baggage and is trying to be a single parent. Him sliding into a a way overly protective dad to the extreme makes sense.
He was already that in Season 2 though. It's just not enjoyable character development for him to become perhaps the worst that he has ever been, in terms of how big of an asshole he is. Especially when he already had that story arc in season 2 and was shown to have made progress in how he behaves towards El (& others). There was just a total whiplash in terms of his character between the end of S2 & and beginning of S3 (which I watched back to back) that I didn't really find believable. In S2 he was an ass but kind of in a sympathetic way (their situation was pretty impossible to solve with everyone being monitored, which was frustrating to both).

It's not a problem that he wasn't Father of the Year, continuing to have flaws & that creating friction are ok, but it all just felt a bit too much. One moment they are having a nice moment of connection, openness & forgiveness at the end of S2 and the next he's once again become a disgusting pig incapable of any level of honest, reasonable communication with those he cares about, even beyond what was previously his lowest point in life at the beginning of the series.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
He was already that in Season 2 though. It's just not enjoyable character development for him to become perhaps the worst that he has ever been, in terms of how big of an asshole he is. Especially when he already had that story arc in season 2 and was shown to have made progress in how he behaves towards El (& others). There was just a total whiplash in terms of his character between the end of S2 & and beginning of S3 (which I watched back to back) that I didn't really find believable. In S2 he was an ass but kind of in a sympathetic way (their situation was pretty impossible to solve with everyone being monitored, which was frustrating to both).

It's not a problem that he wasn't Father of the Year, continuing to have flaws & that creating friction are ok, but it all just felt a bit too much. One moment they are having a nice moment of connection, openness & forgiveness at the end of S2 and the next he's once again become a disgusting pig incapable of any level of honest, reasonable communication with those he cares about, even beyond what was previously his lowest point in life at the beginning of the series.

I can see that why with his baggage, even with what you're talking about he regressed. El proceeds to spend every waking second with Mike and making out all the time.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I can see that why with his baggage, even with what you're talking about he regressed. El proceeds to spend every waking second with Mike and making out all the time.
Sure, but he's shown as being a fairly reasonable person before S3 so I still don't buy that he'd go this far. Being the father who gets angry at his daughter growing up & starting dating is such a dumb reason to get so angry about that it's about to derail his life completely and it's somewhat uncharacteristic to his character development. He's been flawed before but the premise of his arc in S3 is just dumb & makes him very unlikable.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah both me and my wife hated it and felt like he was a colossal jackass. Then again we both kind of feel everything was turned up to 11 (lol) this season and nothing is subtle at all. It's like they need to beat you over the head with every piece of characterization.

Jims

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
In some ways this feels like an extension of the show lol. They really picked a cast that has great chemistry.

Yeah, this was great. Love how they argue over the Scooby Doo archetypes.

Although I felt kinda bad for Noah Schnapp in one of the promotional videos. I can't remember which one it was, he was just kinda off to the side trying to get a word in. He seemed like the third wheel in real life too, to Millie and Finn. Maybe their characters on the show influence that reading, though.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
completed season 3. some thoughts:

the first few episodes weren't too gripping. actually they were pretty annoying. more than the characters all acting like complete shits for almost no reason - and the teens being teenagers isn't a point to make when the teenagers from season 1 were perfectly fine - the reason for it to set up some resolution super down the road was unnecessary. there could have been another way to get hopper to open up emotionally in a letter than having mike be a disrespectful jackass and for hopper to be an immature child. the ensuing drama between will and el was not needed either, especially when other characters who bicker (like jonathan and nancy) can get over it. likewise the joyce/hopper stuff was shitty purely on hopper's side, when joyce does literally nothing wrong.

but... i think i like it more than season 1. at least, the highs are better than season 1's. season 1 was a fun horror-mystery. it was mostly kept between two or three storylines that all converge and had some good surprises, like steve coming back to fight the demogorgon. i forgot how much some of it can drag - especially the lab stuff. it's thankfully not a lot of the season though, and the characters are so good it overrides my other complaints. season 2 is just soft. it mostly meanders around hawkins with the looming threat of the demodogs and mind flayer coming into play a bit too late. the hospital scene is suspenseful and eleven closing the gate is fairly memorable. i don't dislike episode 7 on its own, but it's part of the weird side-story of eleven finding her mom, and it felt like the creators trying to set up a spinoff or something. season 2 felt like a marvel netflix show where there's just so much time and feels the need to fill it.

the best parts of season 2 is what it prepares the audience for season 3. people who were part of side-stories in season 2 now had something to do with the plot of season 3. billy and bauman in particular have expanded and improved roles. and if season 2 was the writers trying to stretch for time, season 3 is much better crafted. once it establishes the groups, it makes really good use of all of their time. scoop troup, eleven's crew, nancy and jonathan, and the adventures of hopper and wheelbarrow each had fun, exciting moments that all converged well at the end. this season also made good use of its setting. putting it in the 80s on the 4th of july allowed for the mall to work as a central location, and for the makeshift weapons to feel truly improvised like something some teenagers would make in a pinch. the pop culture references were the icing on top. i loved the back to the future segment - and the neverending story theme is fun (although maybe not all that well-placed?).

and it all came together in the end. it wasn't a theme throughout the season, but the message of accepting change was something that resonated with me nonetheless. plus, it ends with the absolute best david bowie song, 'heroes'.

s3 => s1 > >>> s2.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Absolutely loved this season. I know there are some nitpicks to be had, but it's one of the most fun and heartfelt show out there. I love the characters, the incredibly synthesizer music, and the pulpy cold war vibe.

McPaul

Banned
May 6, 2019
Just finished the 7th season and I'm disappointed at the "twist".
Robin And Harrington have an amazing chemistry and they would've been a wonderful couple.I guess Steve just can't win :/.