• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The never ending story bit was fantastic.

But

I couldn't help wonder how they could be singing together if they were seperated by such distance. Surely there'd be some kind of light delay for every transmission

Reminder that the show has psychic teenagers, monsters that can open cracks between dimensions and giant smoke... things.

Shaneus

Oct 27, 2017
There was no going back from what the creature did to them, first it 'impregnated' them and then it made them eat chemicals to the point they couldn't even be considered human anymore, even Billy was full of that black stuff instead of blood at the end.

Really gruesome too since the 'real' person's consciousness was still dormant somewhere deep down, I'd like to think they just died normally after melting and that they didn't get assimilated into the monster.
In that way it actually reminded me a lot of
Get Out
Actually, got a few of those vibes, I wonder if there was any influence there.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. So many people keep saying this is the best season. To me this is basically a parody of a parody now. One long joke.
I just rewatched some bits of the first season. The stakes were much higher and the tone was darker. Everyone was much more interesting back then. There was actual characterization.

I'm with you. The hokey humor feels completely wrong and has very much dampened my enthusiasm for the series.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
tumblr_pucgo3bohU1v1me8go4_540.gif

tumblr_pu6frlo16Z1qf5hjqo7_540.gif

tumblr_pucisc48cJ1unsbsso3_540.gif

tumblr_puas9ctxhK1um6o7qo1_540.gif
Man, it's so amazing how you can see both of her parents in her, it's kinda surreal. And she's awesome, I concurr, one of the best parts of the season.

Dec 4, 2017
London
tumblr_pucgo3bohU1v1me8go4_540.gif

tumblr_pu6frlo16Z1qf5hjqo7_540.gif

tumblr_pucisc48cJ1unsbsso3_540.gif

tumblr_puas9ctxhK1um6o7qo1_540.gif

God, she's fucking fantastic, isn't she? She better stick around for season 4 or there will be hell

I tried to rewatch Season 1 before 3 and it's a total slog now. Found myself just fast-forwarding.

I just finished a rewatch of Season 1. It is significantly slower but I still enjoyed it. Having said that I understand why some people miss the slow unravelling mystery aspect of it. I'm not sure I agree that it's tone is darker as some claim though, it just has less goofy comedy. And whoever made the Alien to Aliens comparison earlier is really on the money - they can't really keep doing that slow drip-drip reveal thing because they've revealed so much already, so they've amped it up in a different way. It might be a bit less intelligent of a drama, but they've made it super-fucking-fun instead and that's alright by me.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
7 episodes in and I'm finding it great. Most of the time, I'm just being blown away visually every episode. I can't overstate how great Dolby Vision looks on my new OLED, it really is a revelation. Incredible use of colors / lighting and those pitch-black moments when El does her thing are literal eye-candy.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
Btw, what are the writers doing with Mike? He was mostly just there in season 2 IIRC but this time around he's become actively unlikeable, I know he's supposed to be at that age but so are his friends and none of them are remotely as exasperating. The times when he
looked at Hooper and then said 'guess we're in trouble' in a stupid voice then proceeded to whisper in El's ear and the time he actively laughed at Will during the D&D game about the arm
Really cemented him as 'this guy is a good person but isn't growing to be a likable one, at all'. Not only that, he literally didn't contribute anything, he has barely any skills or ideas and while everyone else did at least add something Mike was literally El's appendix and little else.

I wonder if there's an angle to this and he's really going to get some development next season, I'd honestly say he would have been even behind Jonathan this time around if he wasn't El's boyfriend.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
So, two general questions about the lore of series:

Do you think the Mind Flayer is the "ruler" of the upside down, as in every creature is dominated by him? Or there might be more creatures as powerful as him that fight for dominance?

Why do you think he wants to kill everyone? It's simply what he does or do you guys have any theory?

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Just watched it over the last two days, i thought it was brilliant.
Steve, Robin, Dustin and Erica were the highlights for me.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
People said on this thread. Hopper got character assassinated because he got El now.

It's more like Jonathan. Dude just became background character

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. So many people keep saying this is the best season. To me this is basically a parody of a parody now. One long joke.
I just rewatched some bits of the first season. The stakes were much higher and the tone was darker. Everyone was much more interesting back then. There was actual characterization.
I enjoyed season 3 the most overall. But I did take issue with Joyce and Hooper's constant bickering. It was insufferable at times. I also found the secret underground Soviet base to be really ridiculous. But I think the highs of the season more than made up for it. I would agree with season 1 being darker and certainly a more consistent season quality wise

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So, two general questions about the lore of series

Do you think the Mind Flayer is the "ruler" of the upside down, as in every creature is dominated by him? Or there might be more creatures as powerful as him that fight for dominance?
I think the MF is just a gestalt intelligence of all the upside down creatures, this season he even talked in plural telling El she contacted 'them' and it was implied through the S1 Demogorgon images that he was at least aware of what was happening even back then. I don't think the show will explore the other dimension enough for us to know whether there are other creatures vying for power, tbh.

Why do you think he wants to kill everyone? It's simply what he does or do you guys have any theory?
I think it's just its nature, the thing acts like a sentient virus with little regard for anything. I think that one of the most interesting questions is the nature of the upside down, is it some esoteric, dark reflection of our world or is it a mirror universe that has been destroyed by the creatures? Was it ever normal? Are the monsters native to it?

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Loved this season. Aside from the first couple of episodes, the pacing was good and the build up to the mysteries were incredibly fun. And holy SHIT was the "main threat" terrifying. Easily the best antagonist type of the series. I can't believe they managed to give this a TV 14 rating with what they were able to show.

This season was definitely waaaay dumber and goofier than the first two seasons, but honestly, I kind of like this direction. I get why it may bother some people who liked the "grounded" feel of S1, but nothing is a better 80s homage than evolving into shlock lol. Probably the most fun group interactions I've had with the entire series because of it.

My only real gripe is that Hopper came across as a controlling asshole. Same with Mike to a much lesser extent. I don't mind them growing out of it as character development, but I wish there was something more interesting and less awkward for them to work with. Aside from them, WOW what an amazing cast. I didn't feel a single character was wasted or had nothing to do. The new characters were fantastic, and the minor characters taking on bigger roles were good fun, too
R.i.p. to Alexei :(. Oh, and what was up with the cheating Mom thread? Felt like that needed some payoff or less focus. Was funny regardless
. Not sure how I feel about the aftermath and what it's setting up, but I'm hoping it's a nice change of pace.

Bring on the Christmas themed S4!

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have to wonder if Jonathan (and Nancy to a lesser extent) was pushed to the sidelines due to the actor's cocaine airport incident (and Nancy's actress being collateral damage due to dating him).

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't really a spoiler, but what the heck happened to Jonathan's and Will's younger sister? She was in the 1st season, but just sort of disappeared in the last two seasons.

Unless it was explained last season and I forgot.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't really a spoiler, but what the heck happened to Jonathan's and Will's younger sister? She was in the 1st season, but just sort of disappeared in the last two seasons.

Unless it was explained last season and I forgot.

Are you confusing Mike and Nancy's sister Holly here? I dont think the Byers brothers have a sister. As for Holly, she was in S3 at the carnival with Mr and Mrs Wheeler.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
Are you confusing Mike and Nancy's sister Holly here? I dont think the Byers brothers have a sister. As for Holly, she was in S3 at the carnival with Mr and Mrs Wheeler.

I must be. I could've sworn in season 1 they had a younger sister Joyce helped get ready in the morning. She ran around Joyce's house in pigtails, as well.

But it's been forever since I've seen S1 + S2. Probably should have done a rewatch.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I must be. I could've sworn in season 1 they had a younger sister Joyce helped get ready in the morning. She ran around Joyce's house in pigtails, as well.

But it's been forever since I've seen S1 + S2. Probably should have done a rewatch.

That's Mike and Nancy's sister Holly, their mom brought her to Joyce's house in season 1 and she wandered the hallways where the lights started flashing because of Will in the Upside Down.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
R.i.p. to Alexei :(. Oh, and what was up with the cheating Mom thread? Felt like that needed some payoff or less focus. Was funny regardless

I can see why Karen would have been tempted, her homelife pretty much sucks. Ted probably hasn't touched her in years (at least since Holly was conceived), not to mention he's useless. It's not hard to see why she was intrigued by Billy. At least she made the right choice.

Loved this season. Aside from the first couple of episodes, the pacing was good and the build up to the mysteries were incredibly fun. And holy SHIT was the "main threat" terrifying. Easily the best antagonist type of the series. I can't believe they managed to give this a TV 14 rating with what they were able to show.
Yeah, for all that some people talk about the earlier seasons being darker, this was the best monster they've had so far.

Aine

May 27, 2019
Got to finish S2. It didn't grab me as strongly as the first season, but everything came together by the end. Damn, does poor Max get shit on by everyone, though.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017

Agree with you completely. The dialogue between Joyce and Hopper is hokey and doesn't have the serious tone and depth it had in previous seasons in such situations.

The kids keep making jokes in the middle of conflicts, while they were acting like it was a life or death situation in previous seasons (which it was).

The dialogue overall feels more shallow and lacks the punch and depth it had in previous seasons. There's a massive over-emphasis on humor which really falls flat and destroys the tone and sense of urgency.

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017

I agree with you completely. Normally with a difference of opinion I chock it up to me having weird tastes, but I genuinely don't understand what people see in this season. Thought it was so inferior to the previous 2 seasons (especially season 1) and such a disappointment.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
With all the blockbuster and visual effects this season, the best scene the entire season is just Robin and Steve in the bathroom

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really is like the 80s, the third entry has given up the serious tone of the original and is now a comedy.

Deleted member 20284

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Misses lost interest during S2, doesn't want to watch S3. I returned for S3 but found myself fast forwarding large chunks of the second half of episodes. Some likeable parts but many felt dragged out and skippable to me. I think I've just seen what Stranger Things has to offer and there wasn't much new to the formula and I didn't want to sit through much of the same again with S3.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
Season 1 is still the only season that gives me those tingles in the back of my neck. Tonally it's much different than the goofy tone the show has now, but I did highly enjoy both.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Random thoughts, full season:
1. Why wouldn't Mike just tell Eleven that Hopper threatened him? It was an unnecessary plot contrivance that ended up keeping them apart for... some reason? So he could buy her M&Ms in the hospital?

2. The Neverending Story song was cute but probably allowed the Terminator to catch up with Hopper and Joyce. No song, they would have been able to turn the keys no problem. Nice going Suzie.

3. Then again Hopper could have just shot the guy in the head in the hall of mirrors. Or not dropped his gun at every opportunity.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

You're not taking crazy pills, you're just apparently incapable of comprehending that other people have different opinions than you :)

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Finally finished and that was really good. What show were you people that hated it/ called it "trash" watching?
It's fine if they can't capture the entire mood of season 1, the characters that are just so good I don't mind . They're what keep me coming back. Hopper's speech on how life and people evolve and grow hammered this home for me. Watching the show it really does feel like coming back to an old group of close friends. They've all grown on me. A real testament to the acting, directing, and writing. So yea, Love the characters, could spend countless more hours with them. Great ending song too, I've always been a mark for Peter Gabriel. Duet was great btw , had me rofl'ing.
This will be an all time great show for me that I'll watch with my kids (🤞🏽)and others if they can nail the ending.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Finished Season 3 and ended up enjoying it despite going in thinking I wouldn't.

Hot take: Stranger Things mirrors the Dark Souls trilogy eerily close.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Misses lost interest during S2, doesn't want to watch S3. I returned for S3 but found myself fast forwarding large chunks of the second half of episodes. Some likeable parts but many felt dragged out and skippable to me. I think I've just seen what Stranger Things has to offer and there wasn't much new to the formula and I didn't want to sit through much of the same again with S3.

Eh I find the entire idea of fast forwarding to the "good parts" inherently destructive to the entire viewing experience and you're only doing a disservice to yourself and the show/movie you're watching.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I returned for S3 but found myself fast forwarding large chunks of the second half of episodes. Some likeable parts but many felt dragged out and skippable to me.

Are you a fan of Bloodsport?

Trump wanted to watch the Jean-Claude Van Damme film Bloodsport during a flight. However, Bloodsport is a long film – 92 minutes long, in fact – and Trump is a busy man. His solution? Making his son fast-forward through all the boring bits, like exposition and dialogue, until he was left with a relentless 45-minute supercut of broken bones and knuckle sandwiches.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Done. I really enjoyed that. It hit me really hard at the end. Just the feeling of growing up, of moving on, of leaving the past behind...hurts me hard to think about that time of life because the stuff before was so goddamn pure, innocent, and beautiful. Sigh.

Oct 25, 2017
season 3 takes place in Ace Combat's strangereal. totally different show with no stakes or consequences. in season 1 a kid going missing for an hour would have had that small town pd sniffing the woods for em.
season 3, 30 people melt into a giant monster and die and no one gives a shit

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
season 3 takes place in Ace Combat's strangereal. totally different show with no stakes or consequences. in season 1 a kid going missing for an hour would have had that small town pd sniffing the woods for em.
season 3, 30 people melt into a giant monster and die and no one gives a shit
Cover up by the mayor.