• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fantastic season. Nothing will beat S1, but this is still pretty good.

I want S4 next year :(

If you get it, you definitely wont get it until the very end of 2020.

I think spring 2021 for S4 is more realistic though. The scope and scale of production is only getting larger as the seasons pass.

BoJack

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Alright, I have to say this season has its flaws, but the ending of episode 6 was just awesome. Holy shit!

ArkkAngel007

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the Robin is too smart complaints. She was a major nerd, a band geek, and had learned 3-4 other languages (?). And it's not like she was fluent in that language. She knew only what she translated out of a day or so of going at it and a couple common words like Yes. She had the right background to do what she was able to.

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
And wtf was and is the goal of the Russians? Like didn't they realize they would ultimately bring upon the death of the human race?
They just want moar power, man.

Actually, they might've been mostly oblivious about what opening the rift might truly bring but the main reason was evil Russians are evil. Their reasoning will definitely get expanded in next season(s).

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I laughed when the episode started with the Mind Flayer right up the street, but the kids somehow had time to barricade the room and prepare for the fight.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get the Robin is too smart complaints. She was a major nerd, a band geek, and had learned 3-4 other languages (?). And it's not like she was fluent in that language. She knew only what she translated out of a day or so of going at it and a couple common words like Yes. She had the right background to do what she was able to.
If we're going to nitpick, people should nitpick about how a bunch of children managed to infiltrate a fortified Russian facility.

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed when the episode started with the Mind Flayer right up the street, but the kids somehow had time to barricade the room and prepare for the fight.
I think this was the first thing in the whole series that actually took me out of the show to where I was like, wait, what about?? I mean it was RIGHT THERE. I get artistic license in entertainment where a person can be like "omg the countdown clock only has 30 seconds left" but the scene of them diffusing the bomb lasts for more than 30 seconds, but that was really poorly timed.

Or how said facility was even coceivably constructed in the first place...
This really isn't that hard to figure out in the confines of the show. The Russians had the mayor in their pocket, who had a fucking ton of others from local government in his pocket. The way they constructed it in the first place was they just did it. It's not out of the realm of possibility to imagine the mayor stationing crooked guards around the construction site while it was being built - I know they never say that in the show but if someone did, I wouldn't have any issues believing it.

They've been building some gigantic thing off the 134 across from Disney Feature for the past year or more, first they dug a huge hole in the ground and then suddenly I drove past it last weekend and it's become an enormous cement cube. I dunno wtf they're doing in there but maybe it's Russians building a facility under a future mall. *shrug*

Last edited:

silentg

Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
Biggest shock of the season for me was that Westley from Princess Bride

Cary-Large.jpg

... was the mayor.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Man. I don't know if it's simply being a father of two little girls but this show emotionally wrecked me at the end.

The 80s nostalgia is neat, and the horror sci-fi is neat, but in the end it's about giving a shit about these characters...and I do.

Hope they can finish this series strong.

Same here. Tears were steaming down my cheeks at like 2am last night.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Did they ever explain why

Why does the rift keep closing and healing if you turn off the laser ? Wasn't the rift wide open in season 2 and stayed that way? It never healed itself until eleven closed it .

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did they ever explain why

Why does the rift keep closing and healing if you turn off the laser ? Wasn't the rift wide open in season 2 and stayed that way? It never healed itself until eleven closed it .
I thought it was because the rift was closed at the end of season 2 and they are trying to get it reopened with mixed results so far. It was never fully opened so it was never at full strength?

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Do they explain why the Russians want to open the gate? Or is it just assumed they hope to weaponise it?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
finished. some thoughts
-Robin. God I fucking love Robin so much she's probably my favorite character now. Loved the reveal as well! Would've loved to see if she ended up being bi and going out with Steve anyways or something, but that's just my love for romance stuff without standards. What we got was absolutely amazing and very meaningful, even though I felt a little bad for Steve Rough position to be in, really.
-While we're on Steve, I FUCKING LOVE STEVE. He's so great. Competes for the #1 spot.
-Frankly I'm less frustrated with Mike than most people on here. We're still talking about El being a what, fifteen year old child literally risking her life? Mike cares about her a lot, quite obviously, so his outburst there didn't warrant the backlash from Max IMHO, being scared/frustrated/angry/scared at your girlfriend literally putting her life in danger is very normal and nowhere as controlling as Max especially thought it to be. I'm also pretty sure they'd gotten back together by that point so, like, Mike wanting his girlfriend to stop is in itself very understandable and again, not as toxic as Max thought it to be, IMO. That said, "just let your girlfriend be" is a valuable message that could've been conveyed through another way.
-That said, Mike basically only staying relevant in the show because he's El's boyfriend was... eh. Lucas could've been better too.
-The entire Scoops Ahoy gang is by far the most enjoyable character bunch I've seen in this show. Every single scene almost was a delight.
-The one thing I don't like about the Scoops Ahoy gang is that Erica straight up crosses over into toxicity territory ("stop crying, nerds!") from sass sometimes.
-The entire rat motif could've been used to far greater effect in the middle IMHO. I preferred it to teethy mind flayer
-Billy's "redemption" was unearned. I always end up a little disappointed when stories about abuse don't go farther than "abuser was abused too", but this particular case was just iffy. Kind of the MO with horror/thriller stories, but I think they should've done more with him and Max, and it felt like he died being treated as more of a hero than he deserved to be, especially because it was just "he remembered who he is, oop he suddenly gained a level of power not even Will had". His rapey abduction scenes were also pretty bad.
-I liked the idea of Karen thirsting over somebody (mostly because I dug the aesthetics, ha), but the fact that she's thirsting over a goddamned 17 YEAR OLD HIGH SCHOOLER felt very uncomfortable. If it was Ted thirsting over Barb in S1 or some shit people would've been up in arms and probably rightly so. The legality isn't much of a point for me because the law doesn't change or not whether a relationship is (potentially) abusive and Billy's a high schooler with a problematic past...
-Overall I liked the focus on character relationships over the horror because frankly they needed to do much more to beat Will screaming in agony from the fire in S2 than whatever they ended up doing in that department. What the fuck did the chemicals end up being about anyway?
-The above point is primarily because I fucking love campy romance lol.
-On that note Joyce and a Hopper that seemed to finally get his act together by the end of the season never really getting to develop something fucking sucked and having two boyfriends in a row snatched away from her probably is going to take a huge fucking toll on Joyce, but I have no idea how they'll resolve it at this point.
-Hopper seemed... off. He'd learned a bit more about parenting by the end of S2, and it just isn't at display here. I didn't mind it that much but it was kind of sad.
-Someone mentioned Joyce became the level headed part of the Joyce-Hop duo which was a great change of pace, but I'll be honest, Hop kinda felt like he didn't get enough support for himself from Joyce this time. The two of them going over the heart-to-heart was wonderful though. It's just that Hopper is going through his own shit and he never gets to open up about how it hurts HIM to anyone. He's probably frustrated and insecure over having a strenuous relationship with El and such... he needed somebody to understand him.
-The horror was rather bland compared to S2 frankly. The Mind Flayer as a cosmic entity that couldn't be subjected to mere fireworks and that had to be sealed off instead of outright defeated precisely because of its power... was undermined here. We learned nothing new about the Upside Down either.
-Alexei was a wonderful side character. :c His death got to me more than Hopper's, in some ways...
-I loved the Russian storyline except for the ending and the terminator guy called Grigory? in the subtitles. I mean, constructing a huge laser under a mall in a miles-wide complex? That's some good, zany shit. It lent itself better to character interactions than Mind Flayer 2: Electric Boogaloo, especially because that one stopped being interesting about the takeover stuff right after the Natalie house stuff and maybe the final hospital scene. It also really doesn't fit in though because why the fuck are they interested in reopening it? Not to mention the elevator part was ACE and it had the best group of characters.
-I'd be quite disappointed if Hopper came back. Even though his death was stupid in the time he and Joyce had the slow-mo stare he could've gotten back up there.
-It'd have set the tone better if characters got increasingly frustrated/worried about it as it went on, but the Suzie/Dustin scene was great, quite in-character and frankly a controversy quite similar to the Final Fantasy X laughter scene controversy (how dare creators put in a deliberately awkward and cringe inducing scene yadda yadda).
-SUZIE WAS READING EARTHSEA AND EVEN VERBALLY REFERENCED IT I ALMOST SCREAMED THIS IS THE FIRST REFERENCE IN ANY MEDIA THAT'S GOTTEN TO ME IN A LONG TIME AS A NOVELS OVER MOVIE BUFF AND I FUCKING LOVED IT, A WIZARD OF EARTHSEA IS MY FAVORITE NOVEL, IT MADE ME SO HAPPY
-Jonathan and Nancy could've done more honestly. They could've developed more... The entire sexist workplace arc went nowhere. While I get Jonathan's view in their quarrel though, it's also true that they've seen impossible shit so Jonathan should've agreed that maybe more impossible shit was going on.
-El actually noticeably improves in terms of individuality and speech by the end. Good for her!
-A bunch of traumatized kids and teens are probably generally not ready for a romantic relationship though that isn't generally acknowledged save for the "shared trauma" nines between Nancy and Jonathan.
-Murray going "you guys should just fuck already" was great
-Sad about Joyce & co. moving away. Moving away fucking sucks :/
-The next season doesn't seem like it'll be very focused because the Russian thing overstayed its welcome and the white demogorgon is Zzzz
-Dustin got a lot of shit last season and kinda failed at everything so it was very nice to have him save the day and also be a driving force in general. As someone who never even saw the 80s (far from it) the way they just couldn't google the planck constant was quite something. One of the reason Scoops gang is the fucking best.
-Seriously I love the Dustin-Steve partnership!
-The new cola scene was fucking obnoxious and might be the lowest part of the season (Karen thirsting over Billy notwithstanding).
-El just kinda did more of the same, it felt like.
-Finale was a visual treat.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Back to the Future came out around the 4th of July of 1985, so it checks out.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
He's the mayor with what I assume is an image to uphold. I'm sure he was wearing makeup.
Yeah he got the shit knocked outta him. Pretty sure he was wearing sunglasses at night, but regardless, there was definitely a scene where he was clearly wearing makeup. I think it was when he's doing a photo op and he sees Hopper and runs off to his car to phone the Russians.

Tangentially related, I can't help but be a little disappointed that he was sort of a putz and not a diabolical Stephen King-esque villain.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The Robin/Steve scene in the bathroom and the
Robin's sexuality
reveal might be the best moment of the season. Such an honest, tender scene.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Well finally got done with the season and finale....and Jesus Christ it wrecked me.

The last 20 mins. or so are right at the top for me ever of any show.

What a great season...

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Scoop Troop is so great that I don't want to see them separated.

On the other hand, pairing Robin with the other kids should be fun.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
While I really love Robin and I don't want them to make her bi (that'd feel cheap after this season), can my boy Steve get someone?! He is by far the best character at this point and his heart just keeps on getting wrecked again and again!

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, the wait is going to be horrible for season 4.

Such a good season, got me excited about the show again.

Deleted member 49179

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2018
Apple is having The Neverending Story movie on sale this week "just in case the theme song's in your head for some reason."

yEOyRnM.jpg

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
The part where
Dustin and Suzie start singing The Neverending Story
, I started dying laughing also with a tear in my eye. Reminded me of some of the things me and
my childhood girlfriends
used to do.

HammerFace

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
finished. some thoughts
-I'd be quite disappointed if Hopper came back. Even though his death was stupid in the time he and Joyce had the slow-mo stare he could've gotten back up there.
-frankly a controversy quite similar to the Final Fantasy X laughter scene controversy (how dare creators put in a deliberately awkward and cringe inducing scene yadda yadda).

-people seem to be having trouble realizing that the Hop literally couldnt walk, the laser thing broke when he threw in The Terminator and it was creating a laser death shield blocking him and everyone else in there.

-I really don't see this as similar to the FFX thing, at least for my grievances with it. The FFX thing is silly and sounds kind of dumb, but it happens at an incredibly low stakes moment of the story. Whereas in Stranger Things, it is happening at the height of everything. While I did think it was fun, it was also incredibly grating because holy fuck everyone is in trouble right now and they're forced to listen to these two kids sing. Additionally, you could blame Hop's and even Billy's death on the song because it was like 3-6 minutes that they lost due to the whole song/Planck constant transaction.
/SPOILER]

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing it, I'm torn as to whether they should make another season. Leaving it like this means they went out on a very high note. But there's no way Netflix is going to leave this series gone for long, and I'd miss all the faithful nostalgic callbacks to my youth.

Great season though.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Said so in other thread but will post here - in retrospect I think this season was as good as Season 1. Absolutely loved it. Final episode was such greatness. Glad there are artists / actors out there that can still do this level of stuff.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
They just want moar power, man.

Actually, they might've been mostly oblivious about what opening the rift might truly bring but the main reason was evil Russians are evil. Their reasoning will definitely get expanded in next season(s).
I saw it mentioned in another thread and I thought it sounded like a great explanation, the Russians trying to make a portal between Russia and America.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I'm confused by how the Mind Flayer died. I thought it was able to survive the gate closing in S2 because a piece of itself was still within Will and therefore connected to the real world. So shouldn't the same thing have happened at the end of this season? The only difference is that this time the Mind Flayer had a body of its own.

Kormora

Nov 7, 2017

Another issue I found with that scene.

Poorly contrived scene to have Eleven get bitten there. The monster was bigger than the freaking house. Should have just crushed it

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I saw it mentioned in another thread and I thought it sounded like a great explanation, the Russians trying to make a portal between Russia and America.
That's a cool explanation too, might've been one of the goals of the operation for sure.
I'm confused by how the Mind Flayer died. I thought it was able to survive the gate closing in S2 because a piece of itself was still within Will and therefore connected to the real world. So shouldn't the same thing have happened at the end of this season? The only difference is that this time the Mind Flayer had a body of its own.
The piece was taken out of Will and remained dormant in our dimension, but since the gate was closed the real MF couldn't control it. When the Russians re-opened the gate and the MF's 'signal' reached his remnant it took control again and started building a body to navigate our dimension. It died at the end because as soon as the gate was closed, it lost the connection again and the body became a mindless husk.

I don't exactly remember the sequence of events in Season 2 but if the piece inside of Will was taken out before the gate was closed, it should of had some autonomy to hide but when the gate closed it must have turned off as the MF did in this season.

Last edited: