• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To give a less sarcastic answer, the teen romance stuff is there all season, but its especially dialed up the first couple of episodes.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
The duet was one of the show's greatest moments. That kid did not realize the direness/realness of the situation and there was no time to argue, so the path of least resistance was actually the most sensible one, thus I bought into the scene a hundred percent. It wonderfully encapsulated childlike innocence in the face of pure horror, in addition to working as just brilliant absurdist humor.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I can't be the only one who finds the Russian storyline incredibly stupid and out of place, can I? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect a nuanced or realistic depiction of the Soviet Union here, and if there had been a storyline about a handful of Russian spies infiltrating Hawkins, that would have been perfectly in keeping with the show's influences and tone up to this point... but Russians building a massive underground fortress in the middle of Indiana at the height of the Cold War? I don't think even actual 80s genre fare had Red Scare storylines this ridiculous, for the most part.

and to preempt the inevitable: yes, I know this is a show with telekinetic kids and interdimensional body-horror monsters and isn't "realistic." different sort of suspension of disbelief in this case

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I can't be the only one who finds the Russian storyline incredibly stupid and out of place, can I? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect a nuanced or realistic depiction of the Soviet Union here, and if there had been a storyline about a handful of Russian spies infiltrating Hawkins, that would have been perfectly in keeping with the show's influences and tone up to this point... but Russians building a massive underground fortress in the middle of Indiana at the height of the Cold War? I don't think even actual 80s genre fare had Red Scare storylines this ridiculous, for the most part.

and to preempt the inevitable: yes, I know this is a show with telekinetic kids and interdimensional body-horror monsters and isn't "realistic." different sort of suspension of disbelief in this case

Red Dawn. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/

This season, like the seasons before it, aren't just about replicating the 80's aesthetic and time period. It's a direct homage to the movies, tv shows, and general culture of the time period. So that aspect of the season is a direct reference to Red Dawn.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Red Dawn. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087985/

This season, like the seasons before it, aren't just about replicating the 80's aesthetic and time period. It's a direct homage to the movies, tv shows, and general culture of the time period. So that aspect of the season is a direct reference to Red Dawn.

Red Dawn is about the Russians invading America, as in publicly, not secretly building a massive underground fortress in the middle of America. the former would have demanded less suspension of disbelief, frankly

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Red Dawn is about the Russians invading America, as in publicly, not secretly building a massive underground fortress in the middle of America. the former would have demanded less suspension of disbelief, frankly

Red Dawn has the Soviet Union land Paratroopers in Colorado. It's requires no less suspension of disbelief. That the secret base aspect of Stranger Things bothers you moreso is just your personal qualm.

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
The duet was one of the show's greatest moments. That kid did not realize the direness/realness of the situation and there was no time to argue, so the path of least resistance was actually the most sensible one, thus I bought into the scene a hundred percent. It wonderfully encapsulated childlike innocence in the face of pure horror, in addition to working as just brilliant absurdist humor.

I loved it as well...the entire...

payoff of Suzie being real and everything afterwards was awesome

Jan 2, 2018
Not sure if this has been discussed here yet, but I saw this theory on Reddit and I'm 100% into it...

Season 1: Winter 1983
Season 2: Fall 1984
Season 3: Summer 1985

So logically... Season 4: Spring 1986

And what happened in Spring 1986...in Russia???

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Red Dawn has the Soviet Union land Paratroopers in Colorado. It's requires no less suspension of disbelief. That the secret base aspect of Stranger Things bothers you moreso is just your personal qualm.

Both are incredibly improbable in their own ways.

eh, agree to disagree. the former is ridiculous in its own way, to be sure, but it's still not as ludicrous as what ST S3's plot hinges on

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been discussed here yet, but I saw this theory on Reddit and I'm 100% into it...

Season 1: Winter 1983
Season 2: Fall 1984
Season 3: Summer 1985

So logically... Season 4: Spring 1986

And what happened in Spring 1986...in Russia???

That's not true though. People need to learn their seasons. S1 was in fall. The only part of S1 in winter was the epilogue.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
eh, agree to disagree. the former is ridiculous in its own way, to be sure, but it's still not as ludicrous as what ST S3's plot hinges on

I'd actually say Red Dawn is even more ludicrous considering the scale of that film but this is splitting hairs. The bigger point is that ST is heavily based and influenced by 80's pop culture which was jammed packed with implausible plots like creating a magic woman with a computer or nearly ending the world by playing wargames with a super computer.

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's baffling. Plus Mike and El making out in the first episode is done for a joke. It's not an "issue" for the entire season whatsoever.

There's a huge exaggeration of how much romantic drama is supposedly in this season.

• Mike and El break up in the second episode and have a couple limited interactions later in the season
  • Lucas and Max have essentially no romance-related interaction at all
  • Jonathan and Nancy have one or two scenes involving their fight and breakup and that's it
  • Dustin's "romance" is an off-screen running gag until a single scene in the last episode
  • Hopper and Joyce are just friends for the whole season and Hopper "dies" before they go on any dates
  • Steve and Robin are just friends until Steve reveals he likes her and gets shut down

I get that a lot of dudes don't like romantic storylines but jeez, it's a part of human nature and nearly every character is a hormonal teenager. It's going to happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I'd actually say Red Dawn is even more ludicrous considering the scale of that film but this is splitting hairs. The bigger point is that ST is heavily based and influenced by 80's pop culture which was jammed packed with implausible plots like creating a magic woman with a computer or nearly ending the world by playing wargames with a super computer.

eh... I feel like the previous two seasons of the show were about paranormal elements intruding into a relatively grounded, if not "realistic" per se, version of the 80's, whereas thanks largely to the Russian storyline, a lot of this season feels like it takes place entirely in a heightened, over-the-top pulp/comic book version of the 80s.

really, it almost feels like something I'd expect from a deliberately ludicrous comedic parody of 80s genre material, like the second season of Danger 5 if anyone's watched that, except it's played completely straight here

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
eh... I feel like the previous two seasons of the show were about paranormal elements intruding into a relatively grounded, if not "realistic" per se, version of the 80's, whereas thanks largely to the Russian storyline, a lot of this season feels like it takes place entirely in a heightened, over-the-top pulp/comic book version of the 80s.

really, it almost feels like something I'd expect from a deliberately ludicrous comedic parody of 80s genre material, like the second season of Danger 5 if anyone's watched that, except it's played completely straight here

It's done on purpose to reflect the increasingly wacky tone of 80s action/sci-fi movies and is absolutely not "played straight" when half the characters keep commenting on how bizarre everything is.

onpoint

Neon Deity Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It went on too long but it was fine one time through, and it set up some fun jokes. However it's going to be so painful on rewatches. I'm so glad we can fast forward haha

Dokkaebi G0SU

Nov 2, 2017
I loved this season - So many enjoyable moments

BUt im sad about the deaths :( ... EL lost so much! the Mind Flayer is so OP, its great and i love it. To think if he was 100% there in the human world,, RIP to everyone.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
It went on too long but it was fine one time through, and it set up some fun jokes. However it's going to be so painful on rewatches. I'm so glad we can fast forward haha

I semi-passively rewatched the season over the past couple of days (on in the background while on the computer) and probably liked the scene even more the 2nd time around.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
My co-worker just told me she started the season and is watching it on her phone...while walking multiple dogs...

tumblr_p03udnpPM91vfg7u3o9_400.gif

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Finished it last night with the family -- it was awesome! We all loved it! Definetly made me feel like a kid again; back in the 80s watching action and horror movies on VHS.

S4 can't get here soon enough!

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I want more backstory. I liked them dipping into El's past last season. What is the full extent of that program? I just want more lol. Maybe the seasons should be longer, I don't know. Give me some mind flayer lore.

The Mind Flayer is an malevolent alien intelligence from another universe that wants to invade ours. They might not spell out every little detail but we know the basics of most things. I'd rather they not over explain things myself.