• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Big Baybee

Oct 27, 2017

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
The mind flayer being made up of
bodies
is pretty rad.
Wish it was a little more graphic.

Deleted member 30395

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Finished it earlier this evening, great series and much better than S2. Glad we didn't have any backdoor pilots this season.

I think the Russian base was a little silly, but overall I can go with it. It doesn't really make sense how they appeared/disappeared so quickly in that volume so I'm guessing this will be touched on in S4. Thought the last two episodes were probably the weakest, had some glaring plot issues (specifically the monster at the end of the path scene)

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Is it just me who can't stop rewatching the neverending story song bit lol

I think it might literally be my favourite scene of the entire show. The complete unpredictability of it, how it just came out of nowhere and provided a brief moment of levity in such a serious show, Dustin panicking, Suzie jumping up and down in happiness, Steve/Will's reaction and the mind flayer running in the background, and most of all Hopper's broken look and Winona Ryder facepalming the wall in the background.

I actually had to pause it because I was laughing so hard, and now I've rewatched it enough times to know the words. Can't lie the tune's kinda catchy.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Just finished it. Got to the last episode on Sunday but have been working a lot since then. Really loved this season. Wasn't a big fan of S2 (didn't hate it but I had a lot of issues with directions it took) so when I saw this bring teased for a while I wasn't as excited as I was when going into S2 but wow did it suck me back in. Episode 3 in particular was great I thought, might have just been the slow build-up from the first 2 episodes leading into that but really did love it. Sound design and cinematography was really outstanding this season.
Any ideas on who the other Americans might be? Read some people think Eleven's father. Definitely has to be Hopper there though.

Edit: Oops thought he said "Americans" not just American.

Also agree about watching this on a good TV. Watched the first 2 seasons on a shit LCD, now have a 50' 4K TV and damn did this season look good.

Last edited:

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it, went up a gear when the Terminator showed up. Murray was the best. The blows and hits were something else, good stunt acting and direction.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it last night. Absolutely loved the whole thing. Honestly this was probably my favorite season out of the 3!

I think it might literally be my favourite scene of the entire show. The complete unpredictability of it, how it just came out of nowhere and provided a brief moment of levity in such a serious show, Dustin panicking, Suzie jumping up and down in happiness, Steve/Will's reaction and the mind flayer running in the background, and most of all Hopper's broken look and Winona Ryder facepalming the wall in the background.

I actually had to pause it because I was laughing so hard, and now I've rewatched it enough times to know the words. Can't lie the tune's kinda catchy.
The wall facepalm is what broke me lol, I couldn't stop laughing at that.
As a side note I also felt that they sang it incredibly well tbh.

Jack Scofield

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not the biggest fan of Murray, but his conversation with the Russian guard was gold when they started laughing.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
I bawled my eyes watching the final episode. I loved how all the different groups converged at the end and how it all came together.

Regarding " that " event, unpopular opinion :

Am I the only one who really wants Hopper to be dead? It was well written and appropriate and I feel like it would lose its impact if he's alive. I love his character and don't want him to be dead but it's more potent this way

OmniGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Finished a couple of days ago...I enjoyed it more than season 2 definitely, and Robin was a great addition.

That said, ooof @ what they did to Hopper's characterization. Just way past parental concern or overprotectiveness and right into asshole status

I liked most of the pairings, especially team Scoops

For a show that knows it's going to be binged and consumed in rapid succession, you'd think they'd ease up on so many repetitive gestures, like Will reaching back to the goosebumps on his neck whenever the Mind Flayer is close...or El's multitude of nosebleeds...shouldn't that be reserved for just really taxing feats at this point?

And then there's Erica...first seen in Season 2, as the sassy back talking little sister type. Was ok, in small doses. But this season, it's dialed way up, and it's omnidirectional. Like, it was ok when it was mainly against Lucas (and by extension, his friends), but now she's rude and off putting to everyone. Constantly asking for free ice cream flavor samples (invokes certain racist stereotypes)....In a bubble it seems harmless, but black representation, black girls/women especially, is very limited in this show...so when paired with the black employee at the hospital, shown to be stereotypically sassy, with a "can't be bothered" attitude, and ties up the desk phone line at a critical moment with a sassy personal phone call...it all adds up and looks especially bad.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
I finished it last night and I just don't really have an opinion on it I guess. Nothing seemed super great or super bad to me. I didn't really enjoy everyone being separated so much during the season and I'm not really a fan of Erica but I still love Steve, and Robin is a great addition.
I'd be totally fine if we never saw the Byers again

Nightwing123

Oct 27, 2017
Steve remains my favorite character on the show.
The Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica group was definitely my favorite group this season. Also Lucas was really useful this season with his slingshot, axe, and fireworks

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco

Nah it's sheer perfection and encapsulates what Stranger Things is: childlike innocence and adventure facing an unknowable evil. Kinda like IT.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
I bawled my eyes watching the final episode. I loved how all the different groups converged at the end and how it all came together.

Regarding " that " event, unpopular opinion :

Am I the only one who really wants Hopper to be dead? It was well written and appropriate and I feel like it would lose its impact if he's alive. I love his character and don't want him to be dead but it's more potent this way

I, too, cried like a little girl. That letter was just wonderful, really captured the spirit of the whole show and was very touching on a personal level. Weird as it sounds, it's probably one of my favorite moments from any movie or piece of TV of all time. I know that's saying a lot but man it really hit home with me.

It would be great if they did and a perfect ending for his character, but he's also my favorite and I'd love to see him back.... and he will almost definitely be back, assuming he went through that gate before it closed

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the new season. Way stronger than the second season and up there with the first.
Especially in the last two episodes. I freaking teared up during the last one.

Oct 27, 2017
Well I bitched and moaned all season about how bored I was...and I cried like a baby for the last 20 minutes. Godammit you got me in the end Stranger Things!

Penny Royal

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
QLD, Australia
I can't be the only one who finds the Russian storyline incredibly stupid and out of place, can I? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't expect a nuanced or realistic depiction of the Soviet Union here, and if there had been a storyline about a handful of Russian spies infiltrating Hawkins, that would have been perfectly in keeping with the show's influences and tone up to this point... but Russians building a massive underground fortress in the middle of Indiana at the height of the Cold War? I don't think even actual 80s genre fare had Red Scare storylines this ridiculous, for the most part.

and to preempt the inevitable: yes, I know this is a show with telekinetic kids and interdimensional body-horror monsters and isn't "realistic." different sort of suspension of disbelief in this case

You weren't alive in the 80s, were you?

Still reckon S1 is best season, but this was such an improvement over S2. Loved it, and the insanity of
the kids looking out of the back window and seeing the Mind Flayer while Dusin and Suze were singing 'Turn around/Look at what you see' was fucking comedy genius
, and the general improvement on pacing across the whole season.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
And then there's Erica...first seen in Season 2, as the sassy back talking little sister type. Was ok, in small doses. But this season, it's dialed way up, and it's omnidirectional. Like, it was ok when it was mainly against Lucas (and by extension, his friends), but now she's rude and off putting to everyone. Constantly asking for free ice cream flavor samples (invokes certain racist stereotypes)....In a bubble it seems harmless, but black representation, black girls/women especially, is very limited in this show...so when paired with the black employee at the hospital, shown to be stereotypically sassy, with a "can't be bothered" attitude, and ties up the desk phone line at a critical moment with a sassy personal phone call...it all adds up and looks especially bad.

honestly i thought all characters were kind of flanderized this season. but since there was so much going on, they had two seasons of development, i gave it a pass

was pretty glaring with erica though since she's essentially a new character here. i'll see where they go with her next time though

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, for all the 80's trappings and homages,
the Mindflayer chase was decidedly 90's, evoking the T-Rex chase from Jurassic Park

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's funny, for all the 80's trappings and homages,
the Mindflayer chase was decidedly 90's, evoking the T-Rex chase from Jurassic Park

I noticed a lot of Jurassic Park imagery around the Mind Flayer, such as when it was rustling the trees as it approached the cabin, when they were hiding in the food court in a similarly-framed way as the kids hiding from the raptors, and the scene you mentioned

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's a bit weird El gets nose bleeds from using her powers from season 1 but we're in season 3 now and she still just gets nosebleeds, nosebleeds whatever the cause isn't a good sign and it's stange it hasn't gotten worse over the years. If anything it should have gotten worse side affects or she should have gotten stronger and not getting nosebleeds anymore. The nosebleed sign also didn't really go anywhere, why have it if you're not doing anything with it?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a bit weird El gets nose bleeds from using her powers from season 1 but we're in season 3 now and she still just gets nosebleeds, nosebleeds whatever the cause isn't a good sign and it's stange it hasn't gotten worse over the years. If anything it should have gotten worse side affects or she should have gotten stronger and not getting nosebleeds anymore.

It's really just an indicator that even using her powers damages her body. The more intensely she uses them, the more damage she does to herself - she's not screaming out of effort, she's screaming out in pain.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It's really just an indicator that even using her powers damages her body. The more intensely she uses them, the more damage she does to herself - she's not screaming out of effort, she's screaming out in pain.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at too, her body has been damaging since she started using her powers and has been doing so until now, both heavy lifting and casually, it should start showing bad signs right now. Her body should be more taxed than what is shown.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's what I'm getting at too, her body has been damaging since she started using her powers and has been doing so until now, both heavy lifting and casually, it should start showing bad signs right now. Her body should be more taxed than what is shown.

She's a really tough kid who spent however many years of her life as a guinea pig for a secret government lab that wanted to test the limits and applications of her powers. Probably isn't that weird that she feels pain relative to what she's doing but no lasting damage is done.

People have even said they don't get how one minute she needs help to stand up and the next she's running, so maybe she actually just recovers from injuries faster.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Steve remains my favorite character on the show.
The Steve, Robin, Dustin, and Erica group was definitely my favorite group this season. Also Lucas was really useful this season with his slingshot, axe, and fireworks

Speaking of
fireworks, the way that whole scene was filmed, with them being on the second floor shooting fireworks at the beast really felt to me like an homage to the 80's movie "The Gate". In the movie, he uses a model rocket that he'd been wanting to set off as a weapon to attack the monster in his house.

The%2BGate%2B%252883%2529.jpg
Could be a stretch, but it really reminded me of it.

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
I noticed a lot of Jurassic Park imagery around the Mind Flayer, such as when it was rustling the trees as it approached the cabin, when they were hiding in the food court in a similarly-framed way as the kids hiding from the raptors, and the scene you mentioned
The rustling trees reminded me more of the King Kong remake with Jeff Bridges

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Overall I liked this much, much better than the second season. Not sure if I like the first season better or not. I might, just because all the characters interacted more and weren't broken into groups for the whole time like they were in seasons 2 and 3. (I'm sure it had to do with actors working around filming schedules for movies they are in or something, but still I like when the cast is together)

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
Speaking of
fireworks, the way that whole scene was filmed, with them being on the second floor shooting fireworks at the beast really felt to me like an homage to the 80's movie "The Gate". In the movie, he uses a model rocket that he'd been wanting to set off as a weapon to attack the monster in his house.

The%2BGate%2B%252883%2529.jpg
Could be a stretch, but it really reminded me of it.
The phone catching fire in season one I think was straight out of the Gate as well.

Davey Cakes

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Only four episodes in but I noticed that Natalia Dyer is incredibly animated this season. Not sure if I'd call it overacting but I'm really enjoying her performance here.

Still not entirely sold on Harbour's eccentricity though. It's fun to watch but definitely an almost jarring character shift.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
I, too, cried like a little girl. That letter was just wonderful, really captured the spirit of the whole show and was very touching on a personal level. Weird as it sounds, it's probably one of my favorite moments from any movie or piece of TV of all time. I know that's saying a lot but man it really hit home with me.

It would be great if they did and a perfect ending for his character, but he's also my favorite and I'd love to see him back.... and he will almost definitely be back, assuming he went through that gate before it closed

I loved everything about it even though many found it to be cheesy ( since he wrote it for the original purpose of regulating a silly teenage romance). Very well-placed and acted :'(

That is true. However, I do not want a Jon Snow situation. Imagine how the impact of the letter scene would be lost if he lives. Granted, the feelings were raw and real as characters really thought he was dead but I don't know man

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I missed that train.

Just finding this subplot annoying.

don't know why people are telling you otherwise but it lasts like 2 or 3 episodes

I mean, the romance has always played a big role in the show and continues to, but it isn't a season of them just being self-centered and making out like it seems at first

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I should have brushed up a bit before Season 3 since I am kind of forgetting Eleven's relationship to the Underneath.

Can someone (in spoilers, I guess) remind me how her powers relate to the monsters in the show? I totally forget the nuances. I would Google it but I am afraid of catching late Season 3 spoilers.

Oct 25, 2017
I should have brushed up a bit before Season 3 since I am kind of forgetting Eleven's relationship to the Underneath.

Can someone (in spoilers, I guess) remind me how her powers relate to the monsters in the show? I totally forget the nuances. I would Google it but I am afraid of catching late Season 3 spoilers.

She doesn't explicitly have any connection to them that we know, short of her abilities being strong enough to be able to open the tear and close it.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
She doesn't explicitly have any connection to them that we know, short of her abilities being strong enough to be able to open the tear and close it.
And what Eleven is..that's still a mystery, right? I kind of totally forgot about her origin and all that. I just remembered her as a science experiment child with supernatural powers.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
And what Eleven is..that's still a mystery, right? I kind of totally forgot about her origin and all that. I just remembered her as a science experiment child with supernatural powers.

Eleven's connection to the monsters is from S1, when she was being used to spy on Russia, she ended up seeing a Demogorgon. She walked up to it and touched it, causing them to become connected, which created the rift between the two universes. In S2, we find out that her mother was one of the people experimented on in the MKUltra program while she was pregnant with El. Upon discovering El's powers, Brenner had her taken from her mother and raised her while experimenting on her to develop her powers to use against foreign powers.