• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
I fucking adored this season. Russian stuff was a bit plodding but everything else was mint. Loved the cinematography and soundtrack especially.

Is it just me who can't stop rewatching the neverending story song bit lol

I think it might literally be my favourite scene of the entire show. The complete unpredictability of it, how it just came out of nowhere and provided a brief moment of levity in such a serious show, Dustin panicking, Suzie jumping up and down in happiness, Steve/Will's reaction and the mind flayer running in the background, and most of all Hopper's broken look and Winona Ryder facepalming the wall in the background.

I actually had to pause it because I was laughing so hard, and now I've rewatched it enough times to know the words. Can't lie the tune's kinda catchy.

It was the scene of Steve and Will with a wtf face while the mindflayer was running after them what broke me. Couldn't stop laughing. A "Fuck the monster what the fuck am I listening to" look.

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Eleven's connection to the monsters is from S1, when she was being used to spy on Russia, she ended up seeing a Demogorgon. She walked up to it and touched it, causing them to become connected, which created the rift between the two universes. In S2, we find out that her mother was one of the people experimented on in the MKUltra program while she was pregnant with El. Upon discovering El's powers, Brenner had her taken from her mother and raised her while experimenting on her to develop her powers to use against foreign powers.
Thanks! Makes sense.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
I can't wait to get this season on Blu-ray. Really hoping Target or someone gets another nice "VHS" style release. Wish more Netflix shows got them but I understand why. That final episode is going to look absolutely fantastic when I watch it on the big screen instead of my computer.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
Wow... finally finished the new season and I just can't believe how much I didn't want it to end. Teared up like I rarely ever do with shows. This one hit me pretty hard at the end. It started a bit slow for me but I knew it was gonna ramp up fast and don't have a single complaint.

First thing I did after finishing, was start up season 1 again. I loved all 3 seasons and love these characters. Amazing show.

Tounsi_Tag

Oct 29, 2017
Also, really loved Robin and Erica and the scoops team in general!

Hawke reminds me so much of her mother, Uma Thurman. I knew she looked very familiar until I learned that she was Uma & Ethan's daughter. She has her mother's mannerisms and she looked uncanny to her in the last episodes in some shots.
I usually don't gravitate towards new characters if they're introduced this late but I loved what they did with Robin and Erica ( well she's not new but her role was extremely small before).
Erica was especially hilarious and I loved the last shot of her accepting her new " nerdism" . " You can't spell America without Erica " will be a staple for her character.

Zutter

Oct 19, 2018
This season was SO good. Started off rather sluggish but damn did it pick UP.

S1 > S3 > S2

It really feels like the end of the series is near though. I guess S4 will be the final season? Makes me sad but thats probably for the best.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just got done. Wow, what a ride.. excellent last 3 episodes or so. Millie Brown is so good; she's got an incredibly promising career ahead of her, even beyond what she's already done. And there are very few shows on TV that have better character interactions/chemistry.

I doubt anything will ever top S1 for me, as it's just pure magic. But this season was a big step up from S2, which was definitely not as good as S1/3.

BDS After finishing, love your avatar

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm much more positive about this show now after a few episodes.

Jazzercise had me rolling.

And the DnD scene hit close to home.

Last edited:

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
I knew it. Writers confirm (or joke about) the influences of this reconnaissance scene. (though I though more about The End's appearance in mgs 3)
Very mild spoilers

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It really feels like the end of the series is near though. I guess S4 will be the final season? Makes me sad but thats probably for the best.

Yeah it was always going to end with season four. Netflix might be able to convince them to do a fifth but I doubt it.

Which makes me wonder...

...if this means Eleven won't be getting her powers back. The Demagorgons can open holes through dimensions, but the first one only got through because it was following Eleven.

We know when the Mindflayer found out, it took control of the smaller Demagorgons (the Demadogs) and had them open a gate too, obviously with the intention of them making one big enough for it to fit through.

We also know that it's impossible to open new gates. The Russians could only slightly reopen one and Eleven is thus far the only known person who was able to expand a gate large enough for a person to fit through and of course close them. Either way, the Russians will only have access to the Upside Down for as long as they have that Demagorgon.

So if the Mindflayer and the Russian Demagorgon are killed and Eleven never gets her powers back, we can assume the Upside Down will be sealed off permanently again?

Thornquist

Jan 22, 2018
Norway
Finished it a couple of days ago.
Gotta say, I'm really disappointed with this season. The characters seemed like parodies of themselves. Its like the creators took fan favorite moments and blew them up to a point of not being believable.

Steve connected with Dustin last season, so now they are best friends.
Karen had that funny flirt with Billy, and now they consider having an affair.

Thats not to mention Russians managing to build a GIGANTIC base under the town... like how is this in any shape or form realistic?

I don't know. Everything seemed stretched too far in a way S1 and S2 wasn't.
Not bad, but a far fall from previous seasons.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
Entertaining season, but it generally felt the characters weren't as smart (I agree with the Flanderization comment) and things didn't make as much logical sense as other seasons.

Minor thing, but the lack of consistency in the size of Hawkins irked me, as someone who grew up in a small Indiana town. Thought they did a good job in the first couple seasons, but the number of people at the newspaper, amount of traffic at the mall, and number of people showing up for a high class dinner didn't make sense for a town with only a few cops and a high school/middle school that aren't established as large.

Also for the last episode:
You'd think at least the local police would show up when the mall's getting destroyed and Dustin can even see something weird is going on from a hill miles away. I doubt nobody would have called it in with as noisy as people are. I guess it's possible either the Russians or Feds told them not to come under any circumstances, but you still had the Mindflayer running around the streets at small kaiju size and lots of people disappearing.

Obviously the whole idea that this many heavily armed Russians snuck in and built a huge base in a year without the US government knowing is a stretch that should have been at least hand waved away.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
Man, the way Netflix itself is trying to fuel the meme machine all over social media is so awkward. But I guess it's working.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh the writers are MGS fans? Nice. Isn't the year setting the same time as Phantom Pain(1984)?

This season is July 1985, previous was October 1984.

Overall as someone who thought S1 was great in a lot of respects but heavily flawed in others (especially in pacing), I think this was as solid as S2 (which I generally liked more than S1.) I do feel like there was a bit more wheels-spinning in this one compared to last season, but then again this season didn't have a single train wreck episode like the punks one so there's that.

Hokahey

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is it just me who can't stop rewatching the neverending story song bit lol

I think it might literally be my favourite scene of the entire show. The complete unpredictability of it, how it just came out of nowhere and provided a brief moment of levity in such a serious show, Dustin panicking, Suzie jumping up and down in happiness, Steve/Will's reaction and the mind flayer running in the background, and most of all Hopper's broken look and Winona Ryder facepalming the wall in the background.

I actually had to pause it because I was laughing so hard, and now I've rewatched it enough times to know the words. Can't lie the tune's kinda catchy.

That's so weird to me. It severely tainted the entire series for me.
Finished it a couple of days ago.
Gotta say, I'm really disappointed with this season. The characters seemed like parodies of themselves. Its like the creators took fan favorite moments and blew them up to a point of not being believable.

Steve connected with Dustin last season, so now they are best friends.
Karen had that funny flirt with Billy, and now they consider having an affair.

Thats not to mention Russians managing to build a GIGANTIC base under the town... like how is this in any shape or form realistic?

I don't know. Everything seemed stretched too far in a way S1 and S2 wasn't.
Not bad, but a far fall from previous seasons.

I agree. The humor was also ridiculously over the top as well.

S1 felt like one of the best 80s movies you never saw.

S2 and S3 both felt like someone trying to make a modern movie where every scene rips off some often ridiculous element from a bad 80s movie.

The only scene in S3 that didn't feel that way to me was the movie theater bathroom. That felt like a genuine moment from a John Hughes type movie instead of an obvious ripoff.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This season is July 1985, previous was October 1984.

Overall as someone who thought S1 was great in a lot of respects but heavily flawed in others (especially in pacing), I think this was as solid as S2 (which I generally liked more than S1.) I do feel like there was a bit more wheels-spinning in this one compared to last season, but then again this season didn't have a single train wreck episode like the punks one so there's that.

Yeah, I like this season. Never disappoints. It would be funny if Snake shows up at the Russian base saving the American hostage haha

OP
OP
BDS

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
aa3beb94e8801d8ce7a96a30d93c1c9099c2a514.jpg

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished it and loved every second. A huge improvement over season 2 and much closer to s1. That moment indeed made me tear up like a babby.

Nov 5, 2017
This season was SO good. Started off rather sluggish but damn did it pick UP.

S1 > S3 > S2

Totally agree. It was fantastic and definitely trumps S2. I definitely need to rewatch it. Scoop Troop was my favorite part. Loved the dynamic. I also agree that it's probably nearing its end, which is a shame but it's definitely better than overstaying its welcome.

mm04

Oct 27, 2017
That's a lot of fathers tbh

It's hard to not be disturbed seeing your daughter smack lips with someone you don't like especially if you're the type that doesn't want to see your daughter grow up but stay a little girl

Yep, also folks have forgotten that he lost his daughter to illness at a young age. He never got to experience those types of shenanigans as a father.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Got through my rewatch and started this the other day finally. Through three episodes so far and holy shit it's kind of jarring how different this is. For one, Hopper is a massive fucking asshole. Like unbearable dick.

And everything seems turned up to 11 (lol). Nothing is subtle at all. It's like they couldn't stand the audience not getting something so they had to make it all super super obvious. It's weird.

I like what is happening a lot, but how it's scripted is so tonally over the top it's crazy coming from previous seasons.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A couple episodes in and the body horror with the rats is giving me Parasite Eve vibes.

Last edited: