• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DavidDesu

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Glasgow, Scotland
Just finished watching the last ep of season 2. I really enjoy the show with all its cliches. The predictability is part of the charm for me. It's a fun, scary nostalgia trip and I want nothing else of it. The monsters are scary, the characters likable, and the plot interesting enough for my taste.

Even that much discussed episode 7 didn't bother me too much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

THIS guy gets it. I thought this season was great and then I read back a few pages and you're all whining about it and critiquing every fucking little thing as if this was supposed to be Hamlet. It's exactly what it's supposed to be and it's great at that.

This pulls off what something like Super 8 was trying to do and does it so much better. A nostalgia trip indeed, and some schlocky adventuring fun. God I hate the internet sometimes.

Oct 30, 2017
Grande Bretagne
Awesome season

Really exceeded my expectations

You know the interactions and chemistry on this show are AAA it feels like a matured Goonies with mystery and adventure on tap

I love it

Real escapism stuff

I see the GAFia are in here poo pooing it though it's inevitable so many people hiving in one place there always has to be the mind flayer doom and destruction

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Just finished Season 2....I liked it but not even the same stratosphere as S1.

Steve, Hopper, and Dustin continue to be the MVPs, only characters I'm engaged in and really care about.

Mike was a complete shithead this season and by the end of it I was just wanting someone to smack him upside his head, so bad.

For some reason El annoyed me this season as well....didn't care for the character near as much as S1.

Nov 2, 2017
Just caught up on this show. My relationship with it is weird. It's largely bad to me; but the child cast is so good, and their performances feel so genuine to me, that I fell in love with them, despite the awful sci-fi horror trappings. I found myself getting emotional often - I've never regretted growing up so much until I started watching this show.

I don't know if I'll be around for season 3 because I really don't think the actual science-fiction is any good. It's trope-ish (I guess in some sense, intentionally) and says or does nothing interesting or essential, which I feel is crucial for good sci-fi. It's just dressing for the child cast, which wouldn't be bad, if weren't a 9 episode series. But I am in love with these kids, so I dunno. I feel like I've had my fill but I can see myself changing my mind when the previews drop next year.

As for episode 7: it was bad, but it seems like some people didn't see how essential it was to Jane's arc in terms of increasing her strength.

This show actually makes me fancy having kids.

Did Nancy mean it when she said Dustin has always been her favorite Mike friend?

Seems like she was being genuine to me. I think the first episode implied they have a history in terms of Dustin always hitting her, at least.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
Enjoyed this whole season....Steve is mah boy! He was such an arsehole in the first season, he's completely redeemed now. Just a really awesome guy.
Episode 7...ugh. The idea of it is fine, but the execution was awful. The gang were terrible, really noticeably inferior actors to everyone else on the show. It was a poor follow up to the intrigue of the opening of the season, but I liked seeing another person that Eleven/Jane can identify with and bond with over what they went through.
The episode was noticeably the worst one of the season in all aspects, almost felt like a B team crew were in charge of it, and everything just came out slightly worse because of it.

Also, Bob. Poor Bob. Kept waiting for a reveal of some hidden agenda, or his being a plant sent to spy on them all, but he was just a genuinely sweet guy who gave his life to save someone else. Looking forward to next season already, love this show. TV is just really stepping up and kicking the ass of movies in terms of quality, isn't it?

Barnak

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
There's only so much they can do before people start saying "oh look, there is still a gate to the Upside Down. MildShock.gif". Fans would only watch to see the kids grow or see Eleven do stuff with her mind (and nosebleeding).

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
There's only so much they can do before people start saying "oh look, there is still a gate to the Upside Down. MildShock.gif". Fans would only watch to see the kids grow or see Eleven do stuff with her mind (and nosebleeding).
The much derided Ep.7 felt like the setup for future plotlines, with other test subjects being possible avenues for the Mindflayer to take his revenge.

But considering the backlash, I wonder if they're more hesitant now to continue down that path.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA

I don't know. The Walking Dead was doing the same thing season after season and it's still going strong. And I think pound for pound this is a far superior show with a superior release model.

Yonafunu

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished the second season yesterday. I really enjoyed it, not sure if I liked it as much as the first season tho. Which isn't unexpected, the first season was so focused in its plot with a very clear central mystery and goal.

Oct 30, 2017
Beyond Stranger Things already shows puberty hitting the whole party pretty hard. It's going to be a bit of a shocker to see them all in S3 when they've hit a growth spurt and everyone's voice drops.

It reminds me of the transition Daniel, Rupert, and Emma made between Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Beyond Stranger Things already shows puberty hitting the whole party pretty hard. It's going to be a bit of a shocker to see them all in S3 when they've hit a growth spurt and everyone's voice drops.

It reminds me of the transition Daniel, Rupert, and Emma made between Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban.

It's funny to think about how, next season, the kids will actually be the age that the Nancy+Steve crew of characters are in season 1. They still feel worlds apart.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Just finished watching Season 2. I have many thoughts.

Sadly, the magic of Season 1 was gone. I guess the big reason for it was the allure of mystery and discovery was lacking. Like when they first ventured into Upside Down, it was an amazing experience. But there was no way around it I suppose. The tunnel stuff seemed underwhelming, and the big shadow monster which was frightening to look at, seemed to be lacking closure (but that's for Season 3!). The Chicago episode was absolutely dumb and out of place. The whole Kali thing was ridiculous. The actress who played Kali was bad too, which is surprising because the rest of the gang (except maybe Max) was perfectly cast. There were also really dumb things happening that shouldn't have. Like, why would Hopper dig a hole the size of a truck by himself. And then when he breeches a portal, decides to jump in and...look around? Bob escaping the Demodogs to stand and look at Joyce when he's not out of the danger zone yet. Kids venturing into the woods all alone. Dustin wanting to keep an interdimensional pet after what happened.

Sums up my feelings exactly. Empty tunnels and a parallel world that looks dark but misses any depth, mystery or even inhabitants besides a huge monster we now nothing about. Max and Kali were introduced bigly but were good for about nothing.

Still the rest of the gang works beautifully covering huge portions of nothingness, like a map nobody could have ever connected and that shows only places where actually nothing happens.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Also I was on a youtube spiral over the weekend and apparently there's a music video with 20mil+ views that consists entirely of close-up shots of Millie BB lip synching.

It's almost like when you're a kid and it's strange to see teachers out in the real world. Whenever I see any of the Stranger Things cast (other than the already established adult actors) in something not related to Stranger Things it's a little weird.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Care to elaborate? I mean, if a show like Supernatural can still be going after thirteen seasons, I see no reason why something like Stranger Things can't go on for two more.
Well it can obviously keep going. It was more a measure of the show maintaining its quality story wise. How many more times can El save the day on the final episode?

Mario's Nipples

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France
Well it can obviously keep going. It was more a measure of the show maintaining its quality story wise. How many more times can El save the day on the final episode?
It doesn't necessarily have to be Eleven from now on. We now know there are others like her. And with Will's connection to the Upside Down, even he might start to display some hidden powers.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I think they could add them back to the story if they slowly ease them back in, rather than force them on us again. They made a point of letting the audience know Eleven is not alone, I can't see them just forgetting all about them.
I imagine they'll team up at some point to take down Modines character but who cares about a stooge when you got some world devouring shadow monster lurking.

Mario's Nipples

Banned for having an alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
France
I imagine they'll team up at some point to take down Modines character but who cares about a stooge when you got some world devouring shadow monster lurking.
I believe the spaghetti monster is just a small part of a much bigger threat. As for Brenner, I don't think we'll see him again - or at least not as a threat. The Duffer brothers confirmed he is still alive - which means that Hawkins Lab employee wasn't lying to save their skin - but to what capacity we'll see him again is unknown, if we see him again at all.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the spaghetti monster is just a small part of a much bigger threat. As for Brenner, I don't think we'll see him again - or at least not as a threat. The Duffer brothers confirmed he is still alive - which means that Hawkins Lab employee wasn't lying to save their skin - but to what capacity we'll see him again is unknown, if we see him again at all.
A bigger threat you say? Are they Avengers coming to Hawkins next season ;)

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She's not related to any of the Hawkins stuff afaik. They lived in the city (Chicago?) Before she died.

If I recall correctly, someone in the thread said the stairs where Hopper cried after Sara's death in a flashback was the same as the ones in the Hawkins lab. Of course, it could be wrong or it could just be random stairs that look like random stairs.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
The stairs thing is a coincidence. The Hopper flashback is a hospital stairwell, not the Hawkins govt facility. It's possible they used the same location for shooting, though.

I can't imagine what the purpose of bringing Brenner back would be if not to be a threat.

I wouldn't be surprised if Season 3 takes a bit of a break from the Upside Down (I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it overall, of course) and instead the challenge is Brenner and more weird science experiments, which would be different than what we've seen thus far. The Duffers have talked about wanting to keep variety.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine what the purpose of bringing Brenner back would be if not to be a threat.

I wouldn't be surprised if Season 3 takes a bit of a break from the Upside Down (I'm sure we haven't seen the last of it overall, of course) and instead the challenge is Brenner and more weird science experiments, which would be different than what we've seen thus far. The Duffers have talked about wanting to keep variety.

That's what I am expecting as well. Maybe have a major supernatural threat teased late in the season to lead to S4.

Dangerblade

Oct 25, 2017
Have the Duffers spoke out about the, shall we say, mixed reaction to episode 7? I imagine they're pleased with the episode as the show is their baby, but I'm interested to know if they've commented on how it was received.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Have the Duffers spoke out about the, shall we say, mixed reaction to episode 7? I imagine they're pleased with the episode as the show is their baby, but I'm interested to know if they've commented on how it was received.

A bit, yeah. There was an interview right after the season came out where they talked about how they knew it was risky and expected that there would be people who didn't like it.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Episode 7; I kinda wanna know how people thought this was awful, it's the most interesting episode this whole season. It felt like the only one taking any risks and it develops Eleven so well. Eight is a great villain-in-training and her gang was fun.

Right now, for me at least, it's the diamond in the rough. Season 2 has just been kinda boring so far. Season 1 felt like a homage to all the best parts of 80s sci-fi and horror while Season 2 just feels like a homage to Stranger Things.

The absolute worst was when they introduced the drawings, the first thing with some actual mystery to it, and
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Deleted member 19218

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished it. Better than the first season. The kids are clearly older here so the third season might just be straight up a teen movie inspired series rather than a childhood adventure inspired series.

How old are they? Like mid teens? So that childhood naivety will have to go which is a shame as it added so much charm to the four boys and Eleven.

By the way, the only downside for me was Eleven giving an emo force choke.

No way fuck nancy. Fucked over Steve for no reason to sleep with a dude who took pictures of her naked.

You know what? There's an important lesson in that love triangle. All of them are good people (Steve redeemed himself) but an important lesson in life is knowing that it is full of possibilities you will never explore.

Nancy will have to pick one or the other, heartache is inevitable.

Kaelan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
Just finished, man was it good. Increible ending. Steve is the GOAT and I hope we get a good arc for max's brother, he has potential when he's not being a cunt.

I have to say though, the first few epis (1-4/maybe 5) were pretty boring and slow. Show picked up its stride halfway through tho. It's understandable.

Oct 27, 2017
This show - especially this season - is basically Classic (basic) D&D the series, it does pull from other editions of D&D but the strongest IMO is the B/X edition. Only D&D nerds would care though.

Still it tickles me to no end.

Enjoyed the 80's callbacks like Aliens, etc. Great show. I hope they don't go bigger and better next season. And it might be cool to show some non-evil denizens of the the UpSideDown (Shadowfell/Plane of Shadow).

They didn't quite get the Demogorgan (and there is only one, he is a Demon Prince) quite right though:

232demo4ee.jpg

:P

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
This show - especially this season - is basically Classic (basic) D&D the series, it does pull from other editions of D&D but the strongest IMO is the B/X edition. Only D&D nerds would care though.

Still it tickles me to no end.

Enjoyed the 80's callbacks like Aliens, etc. Great show. I hope they don't go bigger and better next season. And it might be cool to show some non-evil denizens of the the UpSideDown (Shadowfell/Plane of Shadow).

They didn't quite get the Demogorgan (and there is only one, he is a Demon Prince) quite right though:

:P

So Eleven is a psionic? Isn't that AD&D?