• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Normally I don't mind the "its the 80's!" hammering home stuff in ST, but they really bent it til it broke this season. The Never Ending Story duet was just ridiculous overkill in a season that was actively setting character dialogue to Back To The Future BGM's with the flimsy "they're hiding in the cinema!" excuse.

Not only that, but good luck re-introducing Suzi in the future considering she's now directly responsible for the deaths of both Billy and Hopper with her needlessly long request. That's why Hop's got to be alive in my mind really. Otherwise its absolutely dreadful writing on the Duffers part.

I'm not blaming her for Hopper or Billy's death since she had no clue what was going on. Also, the only reason Dustin called her was because Murray wrote the number down wrong in the first place instead of asking Alexei when he was still alive. Murray was 100% confident that he knew it and didn't need any help.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
RIP my boy Smirnoff

S19EAla_d.jpg

Justice for Smirnoff

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Not only that, but good luck re-introducing Suzi in the future considering she's now directly responsible for the deaths of both Billy and Hopper with her needlessly long request. That's why Hop's got to be alive in my mind really. Otherwise its absolutely dreadful writing on the Duffers part.

They only had reason to call Suzie because Murray gave them the wrong number.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
How did all the Russians escape the underground base before the army got there? Where did they go?

AaronD

Dec 1, 2017
Brenner isn't the American. They wouldn't feed him to the monster for a second. Wouldn't make any sense.

Deleted member 34788

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
I don't usually get freaked out by monsters but the mind flayer being enough of a smart fuck to feed its hosts bleach, cleaning products, and cleaning chemicals just so they breakdown much easier and merge with the main host is some chilling shit. Plus feeding them fertiliser so they had more mass.

Gave me the shivers when I clocked onto that shit after just how easy the human hosts turned to mush.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
I thought it was lame that the monster just died when the portal was closed.

I also don't think it's Hopper in the Russian prison - more likely to be Brett Gelman's character. If Hopper survived, he's in the Upside Down. But I doubt they'd write him back in given the send off he had.

The monster didn't die, it lost it's connection with the rest of the Mind Flayer. The second that gate gets opened again, it's game on, just like what happened at the start of the season.

As for Murray, it can't be him since he was rescued by the US military with Joyce and the Russians (outside of the one inept guard), had no idea he was in the lab.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Hopper is not dead. They very clearly showed no remains in the space he was standing. The thing I expected to happen that didn't happen was for there to be a door open three inches (either the front door of Joyce's home, or the door to Eleven's room in his cabin). Which would signify that Hopper is alive on the other side.

With the mid-credit scene, the assumption is that Hopper was taken captive by the Russians that managed to escape (you see that the Army doesn't find any Russians when they raid the facility).
They showed no remains because the people who got caught in that explosion were completely disintegrated. They showed us that with those people in the hazmat suits.

Hopper might be alive but this isn't evidence pointing to that imo

Deleted member 29857

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Weak season. No upside down visit at all, and the Mind Flayer is a boring enemy.

Team Steve was the highlight. More of that in season 4 I hope.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Have they confirmed how many seasons they are signed up for or is nothing confirmed?

Because if the are doing a S4 it will be more of a high school drama rather than the 80's kids vibe we've had.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else feel like the angle of Joyce moving out of Hawkins was weirdly vague and underdeveloped? Hopper just kind of throws it in there mid-conversation and then it happens and nobody seems to bother telling us where she's going? Or how she's totally uprooting her family for it?

Fucking Will can't go 3 goddamned months without his life getting wrecked.

Really hoping S4 goes for a larger time skip to like '88 or '89.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Duffers have talked about 4 or 5, but not exceeding 5.
I guess there's no way to reasonably keep it a kids vibe without doing a new cast every season.

But I'm not opposed to the characters growing with the show. It does seem to be getting a little darker.

Really hoping they get more into the upside down next season along with the Eleven back story.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
I guess there's no way to reasonably keep it a kids vibe without doing a new cast every season.

But I'm not opposed to the characters growing with the show. It does seem to be getting a little darker.

Really hoping they get more into the upside down next season along with the Eleven back story.
I hope they do a Harry Potter style of thing, that we see the cast growing and the show getting darker

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actally hoping next season skips a few years in the world itself. Allow Will's family to settle somewhere new with El and have the kids all in high school proper, maybe even seniors where the 4th season is about all the excitement and anxiety of childhood ending.

Deleted member 34788

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
that would be a pretty cool twist.

Yeah it would be awesome, ofc I fully understand the gravity of what happened in Chernobyl and the fact that it is an awful awful disaster, but it would be a heck of a finale.

I feel they might of telegraphed it a little bit with how they made a point to say in S3 the power requirements for powering the portal machine underneath Hopkins and the multiple blackouts that happened because if the portal machine powering up.

Plus the year timeskip and the heavy russian influence this season.

I can totally stretch my sense of disbelief for another portal device requiring a top secret nuclear power plant to power it continuously without causing massive blackouts.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm actally hoping next season skips a few years in the world itself. Allow Will's family to settle somewhere new with El and have the kids all in high school proper, maybe even seniors where the 4th season is about all the excitement and anxiety of childhood ending.

My only concern with this is Steve, Nancy and Jonathan would be all like mid 20's wouldn't they?

They could handle it well though.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Yeah it would be awesome, ofc I fully understand the gravity of what happened in Chernobyl and the fact that it is an awful awful disaster, but it would be a heck of a finale.

I feel they might of telegraphed it a little bit with how they made a point to say in S3 the power requirements for powering the portal machine underneath Hopkins and the multiple blackouts that happened because if the portal machine powering up.

Plus the year timeskip and the heavy russian influence this season.

I can totally stretch my sense of disbelief for another portal device requiring a top secret nuclear power plant to power it continuously without causing massive blackouts.

Chernoybl is just way to big of a situation to not include it in a show like this. It's so easy how they could write this into the lore of the show.

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I kept thinking about this season being a Resident Evil prequel or spin-off story with how the Russians keep trying to get BOWs. Also i felt this was a weak season. Almost the entire season was spent with characters arguing over nothing, Hopper being a jackass and breaking character , Mike being just horrible. Season 4 needs some upside down world.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to be this:

Hopper = in the Upside Down
"The American" = Brenner

King_Britain

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Going with what i said in the other thread, Hopper is in the cell and Brenner is helping/leading the Russian scientists.

I wanna rewatch season 3 already but i know i'm just gonna end up binging the entire season in one night again like the others.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan should've died fighting the flayed in the hospital. It would have showed them as a legitimate threat and got rid of some dead weight.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
I wonder what other interesting group combinations/pairings we can get out of this cast. I wouldn't mind a Steve and Jonathan pair up for lols and the other Mom's getting a more significant role (seems pointless to put so much focus on Nancy's Mom without any real payoff).

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Man what a ride.

Nothing beats the mystery and the watching the stories begin to be weaves together of season 1... but holy shit did season 3 everything to the next level. Better in pretty much every way.

I was tearing up during Hopper's letter. There were so many parallels between him and El and things going on in my life and the state of the world currently. Man that was some good stuff.

Oh and Hopper totally went through that gate. You don't see him killed or any remains of his body. Plus he's everyone's favorite character so they not getting rid of him that easily.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
I'm kinda done with the upside down and its monsters. I know it's the whole premise of this show but when you keep fighting the same enemies it gets a bit old since there's no mystery like in S1.

sleepnaught

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Season 4 needs to be a full on invasion of the upside down world. I want to see El go all Phoenix on the Mind Flayer and vaporize its ass once and for all.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was a great season with a satisfying ending. It mostly played safe grounds, but it managed to introduce some great characters (Robin and Alexei were awesome) and various great ideas, even if nothing was groundbreaking. The Neverending Story part was hysterical, and probably the most hilarious thing this show has ever done. I also immediately thought that Hopper was alive at the end, but it's ambigous enough to keep that trick in case they have something cool up their sleeves from the Russian side.

There's only two things that kinda baffle me. First of all there was a huge recap before Ep1 on Netflix and it basically glossed over the entire "other group" we've seen in S2, with that storyline not even being hinted at this entire season. I'm legit bummed about that because it was an interesting idea that wasn't explored well enough, and instead of the writers making it more interesting they just nuked it out of existence. Odd choice. The other thing that bothers me slightly is how they keep on dancing around the same thing. Portal's opened, we closed it. It opened again, it's closed again. Oh it's open for the third time? Season ends with it being closed. Demogorgon goes back and forth. Like the whole demon-story seems to go around in circles without any meaningful changes to the situation the war with them is in. The Russian angle was a decent variation and the new monster was neat, but at the same time by S4 I hope the conflict goes beyond the "the portal opened up again and we need to close it again" situation. They keep teasing that shit's gonna go down in the Upside Down but we rarely ever go there. Maybe S4 will be it?

Main characters' plot armor still strong though, especially if Hopper turns out to be alive.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I forgot something that also struck me as odd: S1 (and S2 to an extent) went to great lenghts to establish the relationship between the various young protagonists. Will and Jonathan's being superbrothers, Nancy's and Mike's love-hate brother-sister situation, how the various parents handle their kids, and so on. Well, if someone was to jump into this series at S3, they'd probably miss the family relationships entirely (except maybe for Nancy's mom and dad, but the fact he's Mike's sister is basically not even relevant). I mean okay, these kids are mostly staying out of the house by now 'cause they're growing and having relationships and whatnot, but it's so odd.

At the final episode when we see the kids hiding from the monster, we finally see Will and Jonathan sitting next to each other. Me and my fiancé half expected them to hold each other, hug, Jonathan reassuring the younger sibling or whatever, and they didn't even acknowledge each other. To me it was kinda jarring how they completely forgot about the fact half of these characters are related by blood to some other people in the group, which was bizarre to see after the effort they've made into making us care so much about these connectiong (Will/Jonathan in particular).

Again, it wasn't a showbreaker or anything, and S3 was definitely an "in between" season where they didn't bother introducing things anymore but instead chose to develop what they already established (as opposed to S2 showing a new group, introducing a couple new main characters, etc.). It was still jarring to go from those connections to practically nothing in this season.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
So about Hopper's fake death:

Were the doors shut tight? I mean, couldn't he have just run back to Joyce? Would have taken him about a second.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
They showed no remains because the people who got caught in that explosion were completely disintegrated. They showed us that with those people in the hazmat suits.

Hopper might be alive but this isn't evidence pointing to that imo
The difference being that we see the hazmat suits disintegrate, but don't see the same for Hopper. If you don't see someone die, they ain't dead.
So about Hopper's fake death:

Were the doors shut tight? I mean, couldn't he have just run back to Joyce? Would have taken him about a second.
There was lightning spinning around from the weapon thing after Hopper threw the Terminator on it. He was trapped.

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Me and my GF were both in tears at the end. God, messed up us both good. But hopefully Hopper is fine.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Mike will be twice as big as everyone else by next season

the one thing that bothered me about the season was how ready the Mayor was to work with the Russians. Ok, I guess we saw the Terminator beat him up but even still, in the 80s the threat of Russia invading/nuking America was huge. Its kinda ludicrous to think that any mayor would be cool with hundreds of russians moving in, building a billion dollar underground lab, buying up tons of property, etc. Even for a LOT of money. I guess you hand wave it away as he just thought it was 3-4 and just buying some property and didn't know the full extent but still, the whole Russian angle felt pretty extraneous and not quite fleshed out enough for the show.

It was also really not a great time for Russia, they economy was doing pretty poorly by 1985 and they were still knee deep in Afghanistan. This kind of op would be pretty insane to try as the country was beginning to fall apart (Gorbachev solidified power in 1985 too).

I also wonder how they are going to explain like... 40 people? dead, that Predator monster was built out of a LOT of people. That was SOOOOOOoooo gross when it made itself bigger. Pretty awesome scene though.

I think there are 4 possibilities for the end stinger:

1. its Hopper
2. its Matthew Modine, the evil scientist guy from season 1
3. its El's dad
4. its Hopper but he has time travelled, future or past?

Also Chernobyl occured in 1986, a year after the events of season 3.

Last edited: