• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
My theory with regards to Hopper's fate is this:

The devices used to (supposedly) open portals to the Upside down were called 'Keys' by Alexei - but maybe the goal was never to "harness / weaponize the power of the upside down" (whatever that might even entail) but rather them being two keys to a single door, i.e. two sides of a wormhole 'through' the Upside down.
(Which might have also been foreshadowed by the TWO KEYS needed to shut down the machine)

Like, assuming the Russians want to 'undermine and infiltrate' America from within, they're literally 'digging' a transdimensional tunnel into America's backyard. That would also go well with them purchasing more and more land there - maybe to further and further increase the size of their underground operation - to maybe, eventually, have a base of operations to start an actual invasion from.
The demogorgon they (accidentally) released might have just been a little accident, never the actual goal. In a narrative sense, the Demogorgon in Kamchatka (imho) only signifies that the Russians have managed to open a portal there - in some way, shape or form.

So i could see Hopper taking a leap of faith, hopping into that portal and making it through without having to literally travel from Upside-Down-Indiana to Upside-Down-Kamchatka, but rather get there instantaneously.

As a non-narrative indication that Hopper's not actually dead dead - apparently the embargo that was sent out alongside the screeners made a point to not talk about Alexei's DEATH, Billy's DEATH or Hopper's FATE (sic!) in the reviews.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017

The devices used to (supposedly) open portals to the Upside down were called 'Keys' by Alexei - but maybe the goal was never to "harness / weaponize the power of the upside down" (whatever that might even entail) but rather them being two keys to a single door, i.e. two sides of a wormhole 'through' the Upside down.
(Which might have also been foreshadowed by the TWO KEYS needed to shut down the machine)

Like, assuming the Russians want to 'undermine and infiltrate' America from within, they're literally 'digging' a transdimensional tunnel into America's backyard. That would also go well with them purchasing more and more land there - maybe to further and further increase the size of their underground operation - to maybeeventually have a base of operations to start an actual invasion from.
The demogorgon they (accidentally) released might have just been a little accident, never the actual goal. In a narrative sense, the Demogorgon in Kamchatka (imho) only signifies that the Russians have managed to open a portal there - in some way, shape or form.

So i could see Hopper taking a leap of faith, hopping into that portal and making it through without having to literally travel from Upside-Down-Indiana to Upside-Down-Kamchatka, but rather get there instantaneously.
I think you nailed it

Also the dead pixels were really annoying, don't know how they weren't fixed

uzipukki

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he's who they were most likely talking about when those guards mentioned the American during the end sequence.
Yup, i'm 99% sure he is the one they were talking about. But still, kinda scared that they'll kill his character off. But we'll see when the fourth season arrives.

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I hope Hopps didn't survive. Besides the fact there'd be no way he could've escaped, him being dead was a bittersweet ending to his character and the impact he's had on the rest of the gang. Having him come back in season 4 would diminish that.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I think Hopper's alive but in the upside down and the American in the Russian prison is someone else.

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There literally was a portal to another dimension behind him.
Oh, no shit? A portal that was rapidly closing and not to mention too far for him to reach in the 5-second window wherein he and Joyce emotionally exchanged glances before the machine blew to bits and incinerated everything in its vicinity.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, no shit? A portal that was rapidly closing and not to mention too far for him to reach in the 5-second window wherein he and Joyce emotionally exchanged glances before the machine blew to bits and incinerated everything in its vicinity.
So a portal that wasn't actually closed before the camera conveniently cut away before we saw whatever Hopper was going to do? Gotcha.

3bdelilah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So a portal that wasn't actually closed before the camera conveniently cut away before we saw whatever Hopper was going to do? Gotcha.

You're right, when the machine became unstable, it burst with magic and Hopper suddenly developed superhero speed so he could narrowly escape through the portal. You're delusional if you think he got there in time.

I'm much more inclined to believe Netflix didn't want to display the death of a well-loved character on-screen where he got incinerated to dust like the guards. Makes much more sense than having Hawkin's very own Barry Allen.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
You're right, when the machine became unstable, it burst with magic and Hopper suddenly developed superhero speed so he could narrowly escape through the portal. You're delusional if you think he got there in time.

I'm much more inclined to believe Netflix didn't want to display the death of a well-loved character on-screen where he got incinerated to dust like the guards. Makes much more sense than having Hawkin's very own Barry Allen.
It's always nice to see people become personal over theories on a supernatural show. Stay classy mate.

Deleted member 22407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When you see the machine from the 'firing side' (i.e. as if your looking at it from the portal/wall) you can see a ladder doing down the cliffs edge. I don't see why Hopper couldn't have gone down that, missed the explosive wave but got knocked out and taken by the Russians.

If 'The American' isn't Hopper then it could be Brenner, is it explained how the Russian know that the 'weak spot' was Hawkins? Maybe it's Murray who has gone pure bald eagle looking for Hopper/revenge?

I don't like the idea of him going to the upside down as S1 shows spending any length of time in it will kill you, it's poison, Hopper spending 3 months in there surely would have killed him right?

Last edited:

Lupercal

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Hopper's in the cell, you can literally see him running away from the russian guards down the platform when Joyce is struggling to flip the keys.
Also, there not being any russians left in the complex should give away that they had a secret escape passage.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017

Like, assuming the Russians want to 'undermine and infiltrate' America from within, they're literally 'digging' a transdimensional tunnel into America's backyard. That would also go well with them purchasing more and more land there - maybe to further and further increase the size of their underground operation - to maybe, eventually, have a base of operations to start an actual invasion from.

As a non-narrative indication that Hopper's not actually dead dead - apparently the embargo that was sent out alongside the screeners made a point to not talk about Alexei's DEATH, Billy's DEATH or Hopper's FATE (sic!) in the reviews.
i like this theory.

Heckler456

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
So, Jonathan's out of town. Steve implied that the only reason he still isn't infatuated with Nancy is because there's a new girl he's interested in, but we all know she can't reciprocate. What are the odds they're going to retread the love triangle thing between Jonathan, Nancy, and Steve?

If there's one thing I can't stand about the series is the incessant relationship drama in the form of love triangles. A lot of them are resolved now, so I hope they're not going for the low hanging fruit with this one.

Jan 29, 2018
I'm sure the writer's are trying to figure out right now whether "the American" is going to be Hopper or not. They were probably leaving themselves an out dependent on how many Hellboy movies Harbour would be busy with (probably none). Now though he had such an emotional send off with the letter to Eleven and such, that might be cheapened if he was brought back.

Either way it looks like there will be more lasting consequences for Hawkins this time. I can't wait to see how they follow through with that.

Oct 29, 2017
Hopper needed to calm down. It felt like he didn't have a single scene that wasn't just him screaming at someone in an unhinged way. I was dreading his scenes by the end of the season. I don't remember him being like this before.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
that ending reminded me a lot of silent hill 3 :

hqdefault.jpg

same type of room, the white split monster thing, and so on

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
The scene where the machine actually explodes-it shows the platform Hopper was standing on- and he's not there.

hopper-explosion.jpg

He definitely didn't die in the explosion. The question is how did he escape. Clearly it's the portal. He's been in the Upside Down before and he probably knows it was better than death.

It's like the Sherlock season 2 finale. We know Sherlock isn't dead-but how did he survive-that's the mystery.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope Hopper stays dead, not because I don't like his character but because it would really ruin the emotional impact of the finale of season 3.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
So... that was a Street Fighter reference in episode 8 when Hop fought the Russian in front of the key, right?

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
Also. The never ending song delayed the key and it literally caused the death of hopper if you believe he died

Nope, it was Murray fucking up the number in the first place, after bragging that he knew it, which caused Dustin to have call Susie as a last minute reach of help.

Susie had no idea what was going at that moment in time, so I don't blame her it.

When you see the machine from the 'firing side' (i.e. as if your looking at it from the portal/wall) you can see a ladder doing down the cliffs edge. I don't see why Hopper couldn't have gone down that, missed the explosive wave but got knocked out and taken by the Russians.

If 'The American' isn't Hopper then it could be Brenner, is it explained how the Russian know that the 'weak spot' was Hawkins? Maybe it's Murray who has gone pure bald eagle looking for Hopper/revenge?

I don't like the idea of him going to the upside down as S1 shows spending any length of time in it will kill you, it's poison, Hopper spending 3 months in there surely would have killed him right?

Will lasted a week, and he wasn't slugged until the last part of that week, so you can survive. The question is for how long.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

IN the first season Eleven is spying on the russians and that's when she encounters the demogorgon. I think that demogorgon then was unleashed in russia

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
IN the first season Eleven is spying on the russians and that's when she encounters the demogorgon. I think that demogorgon then was unleashed in russia
Let's not forget that the fully grown Season 1 Demogorgon was able to create tears between the Upside Down and Hawkins at will. (when he abducted Barb, when he took that deer, when he came through the wall in Hawkin's Lab). So by poking the Beehive with their key (just like Hawkins Lab did with their Eleven...), the Russians might have provoked one of these beasts to create a tear.

Oct 2, 2018
Nope, it was Murray fucking up the number in the first place, after bragging that he knew it, which caused Dustin to have call Susie as a last minute reach of help.

Susie had no idea what was going at that moment in time, so I don't blame her it.

Will lasted a week, and he wasn't slugged until the last part of that week, so you can survive. The question is for how long.

the adults standing around waiting for the song to finish while they're surrounded by russians who want to kill them took me out of it.

the way the episode is cut, with termintor guy coming in at the exact moment of the key being used is played for tension and goofy AF.

so suzie killed hopper

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017

That's what I was thinking, if he's alive.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I thought this season was just fantastic all around. And that ending. I absolutely adore this show, and will be very very sad when it is over. But - all good things...they say...

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
Hopper's not dead. I mean what happened to all the Russian soldiers in the facility, as the US Army personnel scanned the area, they didn't find anything. I think the portal/tunnel idea mentioned earlier is spot on...these guys all went through a gateway back to Russia, before it closed completely on the US side.

Miracle Ache

Oct 25, 2017
So how long do people think Hopper could survive in the Upside Down before the toxic atmosphere kills him? Will was in there for about a week and was practically at death's door.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017

This is an interesting theory and the two keys symbolism makes sense, but Alexei makes it seem like they failed to do the experiment in Russia and thus came to Hawkins. They never establish that they want to connect the Hawkins gate to the Russian one. Though it's never really explained what Russia wants with the Upside Down, I suppose it's open ended enough for them to touch on in future seasons.

Anyways, I thought season 3 was ok. The emotional character moments and relationships were the best parts, but I thought the sci fi horror aspect was fairly weak. Season 1 was legitimately scary, but the tone in now so dramatically different. Gets way too goofy in some parts, and while I think Russia being interested in the Upside Down is an interesting story element, having a James Bond secret base under a mall with everyone wearing their uniforms and a fake Terminator is a bit too much.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Just going to throw this out there:

There is no way that Hopper is fully dead/gone forever/won't appear in season 4. If you believe that, you're the mark of the century. I'll make an avatar bet, I don't care. That shit is a lock.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
This is an interesting theory and the two keys symbolism makes sense, but Alexei makes it seem like they failed to do the experiment in Russia and thus came to Hawkins. They never establish that they want to connect the Hawkins gate to the Russian one. Though it's never really explained what Russia wants with the Upside Down, I suppose it's open ended enough for them to touch on in future seasons.

I'm not sure we can trust what Alexei said at that point, he might have still been feeling wary of his American captors(!). Like is he gonna say "yeah, we tried to dig a tunnel into your country to possible invade you"?
Of course he's going to paint it as a scientific project foremost, and not a military / espionage one. (Who knows, maybe that's actually what he believes in, too)

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Not understanding how Brenner could have survived what he ran up against in Season 1. Makes absolutely zero sense.

Robin

Restless Insomniac
Oct 25, 2017
There's no way in hell that Hopper is dead as others have said. If you don't see the killing blow, it didn't happen, or they at least want to keep the door open and haven't decided yet.

Also, did they ever explain what the green goop was?

Edit:

I literally just finished watching 30 minutes ago so I'm still sitting and contemplating the finale but I'd like to also say I find it a tad bit frustrating that they "redeemed" Billy in the end when he was shown to be a racist in the second season. Not as bad as Three Billboards, etc, but it annoys me the way a daring sacrifice in the end and a troubled childhood handwaves away a character whose primary attribute the previous season was being a horrible violent racist. I'm not saying that characters like that can't have complicated plots that make them three dimensional characters but I feel like it's shitty to give him a daring sacrifice sendoff without having ever addressed the fact that he was a bigot.

Last edited: