• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
bad writing and just lazy going for a 80s throwback in lieu of actual tension in the finale.

I don't think a show that is drenched in everything 80's doing another overt send up is at all out of place. As to the writing? I'm not sure what is bad about that scene. Pacing issues and tone I could see but the writing is fairly to the point and something the entire season had been leading up to.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching this with my wife. I enjoyed it a lot, but I was thinking how does shutting down the portal gun so the door reseals kill the Mind Flayer? It was able to survive on our side due to the piece of Mind Flayer mind/soul/spirit (whatever you'd call it) which they got out of Will last season, and that part didn't die when El sealed the door at the end of S2, so why does it all of a sudden die this time?

I also found it a bit annoying that they didn't stop to call the military or secret service about the big Russian secret base at any point, and the fact the military turned up so soon after they were done kind of rendered everything they'd just accomplished pointless. Like, they could have just gone and hid somewhere for a few hours and Paul Reisar and backup would have taken care of everything about 15 minutes after they did anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished watching this with my wife. I enjoyed it a lot, but I was thinking how does shutting down the portal gun so the door reseals kill the Mind Flayer? It was able to survive on our side due to the piece of Mind Flayer mind/soul/spirit (whatever you'd call it) which they got out of Will last season, and that part didn't die when El sealed the door at the end of S2, so why does it all of a sudden die this time?

They didn't kill it. The Mind Flayer was never in the real world, just a flesh avatar that the Flayer was able to control. When the gate was closed the connection was severed. The piece that was left behind last season was not a threat until the gate was reopened.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished the season and was thinking about the theories regarding hopper's fate. The realization that he really is dead in the next season will be interesting. Kind of like the hope that Barb isn't actually dead.

If he ended up just climbing down a ladder and being caught by some Russians, then that would be a little tame for backstory, but whatever. I would think that the explosion of the key didnt actually obliterate them, but instead teleported them to the upside down.

Thats my bet for season 4.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I can't see how they're gonna top the Neverending Story musical number in S4.

Oct 25, 2017
I also found it a bit annoying that they didn't stop to call the military or secret service about the big Russian secret base at any point, and the fact the military turned up so soon after they were done kind of rendered everything they'd just accomplished pointless. Like, they could have just gone and hid somewhere for a few hours and Paul Reisar and backup would have taken care of everything about 15 minutes after they did anyway.

Did you miss the scene where Hopper and Joyce very explicitly called the feds?

Oct 27, 2017
I literally don't understand anything the Russians were doing, or why. Including that final scene.

They were trying to find their own way into the Upside Down, but it wasn't possible anywhere expect Hawkins, were either the doorway between worlds was or the connection was at its weakest (not sure they ever state how that part works).

Did you miss the scene where Hopper and Joyce very explicitly called the feds?

Oh damn, I actually must have missed that scene! My littlest woke in like the fifth or sixth episode so I went to get him back to sleep while my wife kept watching. Must have been then.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
season 1 - Christas/Winter
season 2 - Halloween/Fall
Season 3- 4th of july/summer
Season 4 ?

What does everyone want to see?

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Season 4 ?

S1 was fall. This is like the third time I've seen people call it winter here. November is fall. The only part that veered into winter was the final scene at Christmas, and even Christsmas Day is only 4 days into winter.

As for S4, itll actually be winter, I think (released sometime between Dec. 21 2020 and March 20 2021, and set in the winter of 1986/1987). My guess anyway.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
Just remembered regarding Hopper too (well I noticed it at first but didn't really think about it until now), while the Byers and co. are getting ready to leave and Joyce and Eleven in particular are mourning Hopper over the letter / speech, Peter Gabriel's version of Heroes plays over the scene. When did it play before in the series? When everyone thought Will was dead when "his body" was found in the lake. (Probably been noted somewhere already but leave me be I just finished it!)

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They were trying to find their own way into the Upside Down, but it wasn't possible anywhere expect Hawkins, were either the doorway between worlds was or the connection was at its weakest (not sure they ever state how that part works).

They can't open any new gates, basically, and can only slightly "crack" open ones that have been closed. Eleven is still the only person who has been able to open a "crack" into a gate large enough for a person to fit through and she's also the only person who has been shown able to close gates.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'll say I was a bit disappointed that the motivation for the Ruskis wasn't to open a gateway to hell in the middle of the US as a secret WMD, but all that effort just for research and transporting a demogorgon back to the USSR.

Oct 27, 2017
Just remembered regarding Hopper too (well I noticed it at first but didn't really think about it until now), while the Byers and co. are getting ready to leave and Joyce and Eleven in particular are mourning Hopper over the letter / speech, Peter Gabriel's version of Heroes plays over the scene. When did it play before in the series? When everyone thought Will was dead when "his body" was found in the lake. (Probably been noted somewhere already but leave me be I just finished it!)

Did it definitely play in one of the other seasons? It's one of my favourite songs but I didn't even know Peter Gabriel had covered it, so it took me a moment to realise it was actually Heroes.

It was 40 people in total according to the newspaper. It was also comprised of what was probably every rat in the town.

Oh wow, is that all? Must have been about 40 people then and about half a million rats!

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just finished it now.

On the whole I liked this series (I also had no problem with S2) but what the hell was up with all the corny on the nose "homages."

The Twin Peaks one was okay but a bit odd and didn't see it coming, The Die Hard one was really really weird and tonally off, and the Terminator ones were incredibly fucking stupid. Actually any scene with the Russian Terminator was dull, total filler character that added nothing and made it worse.

I know past seasons have obviously invoked scenes from 80s films and TV but these were far too on the nose.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, is that all? Must have been about 40 people then and about half a million rats!

A human body has more mass than it would seem due to organs and such (that the creature doesn't have or need) but yeah the size of it sort of fluctuates depending on the need for the scene. It seems significantly larger in the mall than it does when walking through the forest. Maybe even larger than it does at the cabin.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A human body has more mass than it would seem due to organs and such (that the creature doesn't have or need) but yeah the size of it sort of fluctuates depending on the need for the scene. It seems significantly larger in the mall than it does when walking through the forest. Maybe even larger than it does at the cabin.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Perspective isn't the issue. You can see the scale in comparison to the trees. You can also see a scale difference when it first exits the Factory (bursting up from the metal plating) compared to its size in the mall.

Happy you could link to a video for a snarky reply though.
Look, it's not every day where you find the perfect example to use that video.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Thinking about the scene with the fireworks, the way that whole scene was filmed, with them being on the second floor shooting fireworks at the beast really felt to me like an homage to the 80's movie "The Gate". In the movie, he uses a model rocket that he'd been wanting to set off as a weapon to attack the monster in his house.

The%2BGate%2B%252883%2529.jpg

It may just be a coincidence, but since there are so many 80's references, idk.

Oct 27, 2017
Stranger-Things-web-banner.jpg

Thought I'd make a thread as constant spoiler tagging in OT is annoying and there is alot to talk about.

Big one is that people seem to think Hopper is the American in the post credits scene. I just don't see how thats him. he likely jumped into the gate, or was sent there via explosion.

stranger-things-season-3-post-credit-scene-1947186.jpg
My theory is that he evaporated into the gate, and became a mix of demigorgon and Hopper. A Demihopon

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Season 4 ?

Call me cliche and boring, but I want them to go back to Halloween. This shows whole tone and premise is so perfectly tuned to the Halloween feel, and I feel like they could easily squeeze out more spooky goodness from that aesthetic.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the things that got Hopper (presumably) killed, a girl in Utah totally removed from the situation and rightfully having no reason to actually believe any of the insane shit going on in is real is the last thing I'd blame.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Out of all the things that got Hopper (presumably) killed, a girl in Utah totally removed from the situation and rightfully having no reason to actually believe any of the insane shit going on in is real is the last thing I'd blame.
Murray not double checking the number got Hopper killed

Hopper counting down to 3 got him killed
How about blaming the thing that actually got Hopper killed, the Russian Terminator. Everything else was just circumstantial and unfortunate timing.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
S1 was fall. This is like the third time I've seen people call it winter here. November is fall. The only part that veered into winter was the final scene at Christmas, and even Christsmas Day is only 4 days into winter.

As for S4, itll actually be winter, I think (released sometime between Dec. 21 2020 and March 20 2021, and set in the winter of 1986/1987). My guess anyway.

yeah I was thinking Xmas. But people think of Xmas in S1 because of the Xmas lights on the wall.