• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
Been a damn good week.
Never watched the series before, and now I've binged watched all 3 seasons.
I feel so sorry for the Byers. PTSD isn't gonna be able to quantify the level of shit they've been though, particularly Will.

Number45

Oct 25, 2017
Posted?

5uMJUDC_d.jpg

Now THAT would have been terrible.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
season 1 - Christas/Winter
season 2 - Halloween/Fall
Season 3- 4th of july/summer
Season 4 ?

What does everyone want to see?

They telegraphed it pretty clearly with the scene between Mike and El talking about their first visit. Come back for Thanksgiving to celebrate Christmas together. Late fall into winter. Winter is perfect for a Hopper rescue mission to the upside down.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
They telegraphed it pretty clearly with the scene between Mike and El. Come back for Thanksgiving to celebrate Christmas together. Late fall into winter. Winter is perfect for a Hopper rescue mission to the upside down.

Going by that scene the next season will be winter specifically. Possibly even Christmas Day. Mike said his mom would let him visit the Byers on Thanksgiving and he though the Byers should visit him for Christmas.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Going by that scene the next season will be winter specifically. Possibly even Christmas Day. Mike said his mom would let him visit the Byers on Thanksgiving and he though the Byers should visit him for Christmas.

Yeah I thought maybe Thanksgiving into Christmas, but the show has always been strictly limited to a few days. I didn't really pay attention in Season 3, but I'm thinking it took place over 2 nights?

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Perspective isn't the issue. You can see the scale in comparison to the trees. You can also see a scale difference when it first exits the Factory (bursting up from the metal plating) compared to its size in the mall.

Happy you could link to a video for a snarky reply though.

It's size looks pretty consistent in its final phase. It's around 3 stories tall but the way it's frame is made means it's rarely standing at full height and often closer to the ground.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I thought maybe Thanksgiving into Christmas, but the show has always been strictly limited to a few days. I didn't really pay attention in Season 3, but I'm thinking it took place over 2 nights?

I think it was a little over a week based on the opening scene being late June 1984, then jumping a year later and running through Independance day.

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
Question, when the gate is fully opened, can all Demogorgon travel at will with the portals like in S1 or only that specific S1 Demogorgon?

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

The peak of the action takes place over 2 days but the whole season could be somewhere between 3-5 days I think.

It's size looks pretty consistent in its final phase. It's around 3 stories tall but the way it's frame is made means it's rarely standing at full height and often closer to the ground.

It's not just the height that I'm judging by, but the width as well. It's smaller when it pops through the metal plating in the factor both in height and width, and it's smaller in both dimensions when seen traveling to the cabin compared to it's size as seen when they drive away from the cabin or in the final scenes of fireworks and Billy's death. It's not something that's immediately noticable on first watch but on subsequent watches (when a viewer has a fresh memory of the size from the final scenes) it's noticeable.

Awesome Kev

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
The kids don't even bat an eye after seeing 4 men crushed by a car and even joke around. Its hard for me to take this show seriously at times with how gratuitous and commonplace the violence got by season 3.

You have a point there..... but come on man the entire premise of the show is ridiculous, they're really just running away with the insanity that season 1 introduced.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
thought overall the season was pretty good. definitely a step above s2

hopper absolutely went through the gate, I think the american prisoner at the end is a red herring. wouldn't be shocked if hopper came back with some upside-down fueled superpowers or something

also bummed they killed billy, I was really hoping for a redemption arc in season 4

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly prefer a bit of a time skip so the kids are like in junior maybe senior year of HS. They have been growing up with the show so it makes sense.

But... someone had a really cool idea to basically make the upside down russian plot coincide with the chernobyl meltdown. The machine they used needed to siphon power from the Hawkins power plant and it barely opened the gateway up.

What if they used a nuclear reactor in russia to do that, the upside leaked into the world, and was contained. A nuclear meltdown is how they would "officially" describe the situation.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I know, but we all have different limits to elements that take you out of whats happening.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself what would make for more enjoyment as a viewer. Realism in the sense of the kids being traumatized in the moment and unable to do anything or that they're able to keep it relatively together to continue to move the story forward and instead we get the fallout after the fact?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
What if they used a nuclear reactor in russia to do that, the upside leaked into the world, and was contained. A nuclear meltdown is how they would "officially" describe the situation.

Not a fan of using real life tragedies as plot points in that way.

At a certain point you have to ask yourself what would make for more enjoyment as a viewer. Realism in the sense of the kids being traumatized in the moment and unable to do anything or that they're able to keep it relatively together to continue to move the story forward and instead we get the fallout after the fact?

Just bothers me when they treat death and gore in such a trivial manner. Like I knew the boss fight with the Russian arnie-like would end with him being thrown into the machine, but the one liner followed by a human body being gibbed just felt like a videogame. Season 1 was definitely a bit less gratuitous with all the gore.

I also laughed at the 4 guys in hazmat suits who come in just to get exploded. Like that was their whole point in life.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

And with Russia already trying to put new weight onto the whole "it was the CIA all along, we did nothing wrong" shit-tier conspiracy theory because of the popularity of the Chernobyl series, I don't think having one of the biggest shows on the planet right now push the (even if fictional) idea that Chernobyl went differently than news shows is a good idea, even if with this theory the end result would still be that Russia's at fault.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Just bothers me when they treat death and gore in such a trivial manner. Like I knew the boss fight with the Russian arnie-like would end with him being thrown into the machine, but the one liner followed by a human body being gibbed just felt like a videogame. Season 1 was definitely a bit less gratuitous with all the gore.

I also laughed at the 4 guys in hazmat suits who come in just to get exploded. Like that was their whole point in life.

Did you miss the dozens of people melting into blobs of meat? This entire season seriously stepped up the gore and violence.

Deleted member 29806

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Germany
Sorry, but for me it makes zero sense Hopper went through the portal. Probably they will get him back that way, but I won't be happy with it.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
lol

No one would've gotten that reference, too, since the 'Song of the Entwives' doesn't even have a set melody

Maybe it's cos it was before my time, but how many people got the Neverending story reference anyway?

It would have been a terrible idea regardless though. I love LOTR but even I hate most of the poems.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

I wouldn't say that they treat death and gore any more trivial than they ever have previously. The only difference that I see is one of budget. S1 was all practical effects, so it limited what they could portray. But there were a bunch of Soldiers/PMC's that worked for the Gov't that were murdered by El and by the Demogorgan. The scene where Barb is shown to be dead is also pretty gruesome, again, limited by practical effects. S2 similarly has plenty of bodies and the scene of Bob getting eaten by several Demo-Dogs with a slow motion pull back from the camera.

This season definitely has more 80's action film homage scenes where previous seasons had few to none though, so maybe that's the larger difference in the perceived violence?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hopper killing the Russian was tame in respect to everything else this season or even stuff like El causing grievous bodily harm to random goons in the first season.

Maybe it was supposed to be a reference to Arnies old movies like Commando or something with the one liner but it just rubbed me the wrong way, as did a bunch of other scenes this season. I kind of also skipped some of S2 because I knew they were going to kill off their cat because it was super telegraphed and would be played for shock value.

I wouldn't say that they treat death and gore any more trivial than they ever have previously. The only difference that I see is one of budget. S1 was all practical effects, so it limited what they could portray. But there were a bunch of Soldiers/PMC's that worked for the Gov't that were murdered by El and by the Demogorgan. The scene where Barb is shown to be dead is also pretty gruesome, again, limited by practical effects. S2 similarly has plenty of bodies and the scene of Bob getting eaten by several Demo-Dogs with a slow motion pull back from the camera.

This season definitely has more 80's action film homage scenes where previous seasons had few to none though, so maybe that's the larger difference in the perceived violence?

This season was just so much more though. Like not just a lot of people being crushed, melted or exploded, but also gunned down en masse by the heroes. I guess its fine because theyre evil russians or whatever but it still feels like a videogame. The scary shit in season 1 felt a bit more warranted.

I still think its a good show, but definitely also still think Season 1 is the best.

Last edited:

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's cos it was before my time, but how many people got the Neverending story reference anyway?

It would have been a terrible idea regardless though. I love LOTR but even I hate most of the poems.

Anyone born in the 50's, 60's, or 70's... most people born in the 80's, and anyone from the 90's or 2000's that has been shown the movie or had enough interest in 80's era media to have watched it. Essentially, a lot of people.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Sorry, but for me it makes zero sense Hopper went through the portal. Probably they will get him back that way, but I won't be happy with it.

he's in Russia, no? In their holding prison. "not the American." I assumed he climbed down/jumped to get away from the blast and then they picked him up.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
This season was just so much more though. Like not just a lot of people being crushed, melted or exploded, but also gunned down en masse by the heroes. I guess its fine because theyre evil russians or whatever but it still feels like a videogame. The scary shit in season 1 felt a bit more warranted.

Hopper is the Chief of Police and a Vietnam Vet and he's the only one who gunned anyone down. Everyone else was killed by El (when they were closing in on her friends while armed with automatic weapons), the Flayer, or the machine exploding.

I can understand that the Russian Soldiers are humans but they're also an invading foreign force who have no qualms with torturing the innocent and killing anyone who they're ordered to kill. It's the height of the Cold War and they've been discovered. They're going to kill whoever they have to not to be found out by the US Gov't.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Hopper is the Chief of Police and a Vietnam Vet and he's the only one who gunned anyone down. Everyone else was killed by El (when they were closing in on her friends while armed with automatic weapons), the Flayer, or the machine exploding.

I can understand that the Russian Soldiers are humans but they're also an invading foreign force who have no qualms with torturing the innocent and killing anyone who they're ordered to kill. It's the height of the Cold War and they've been discovered. They're going to kill whoever they have to not to be found out by the US Gov't.

Watching Hopper beat the shit out of people, mowing them down with pistols and machine guns, throwing a dude into a machine. It starts to feel weightless by the end, especially with Wynona Rider just being sad that hes leaving rather than being like holy shit there's all this death happening. Those two were the worst characters of the whole season for me, just non stop arguing like something out of a romcom.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
Watching Hopper beat the shit out of people, mowing them down with pistols and machine guns, throwing a dude into a machine. It starts to feel weightless by the end, especially with Wynona Rider just being sad that hes leaving rather than being like holy shit there's all this death happening. Those two were the worst characters of the whole season for me, just non stop arguing like something out of a romcom.

It's meant to feel more Action-Adventure than romcom (Though there are the aforementioned straight Action homages at times). Think Indiana Jones or Romancing The Stone (Robert Zemeckis sleeper hit that gave him the ability to make Back to the Future). And it fits the way his character works (an extension from his actions in S2) while Joyce's strength is borne from her going through the events of S1 and S2. For Joyce to act more taken aback puts her more into the damsel in distress trope, which would've been pretty bad. A lot of people were bothered by the bickering but I felt it suited the characters for where they both were emotionally by the time S3 hits.

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017

The gore in shows like Warrior or Banshee bug me a lot more. I don't have the stomach for that kind anymore. This was OK, went with the whole 80's body horror aspect.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
It's the third season of a series that is probably almost over. Of course they ratchet things up every season - that's how it works. And it's the 80s, the gratuitous violence was definitely a thing. Also with all the monsters the kids have seen now, dead bad guys isn't going to faze them.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
Season 3 was fantastic and overall the best so far. It was liking watching a big budget movie, production values were outstanding. Cast was solid as well.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
It's the third season of a series that is probably almost over. Of course they ratchet things up every season - that's how it works. And it's the 80s, the gratuitous violence was definitely a thing. Also with all the monsters the kids have seen now, dead bad guys isn't going to faze them.

If the characters don't care, neither do I. Its just less fun when everyone's a badass, tension is tossed to the sideline and character development seems to largely be everyone arguing until they aren't.

Draconestra

Avenger
Nov 2, 2017
Finished it last night. The letter from Hopper choked me up a bit. It was really sad.

Girlfriend and I had different views in this season. We both felt like some of these characters were completely useless and unnecessary. Like Jonathan, completely useless. Same thing with Will and Lucas, probably Steve too to an extent.

Also, the Neverending Story song, didn't like it.

But the thing that drove me nuts, is how obviously old the actors are and they no longer look like kids. Omg, they're so goddamn tall. El and Max were probably the only ones that still looked the age that they're portraying, but the guys? Maybe it's the clothing, or the fact that in my head, season three takes roughly two years after the first season, so I'm thinking they're barely about to hit puberty. I just found it so uncanny.

Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly prefer a bit of a time skip so the kids are like in junior maybe senior year of HS. They have been growing up with the show so it makes sense.

But... someone had a really cool idea to basically make the upside down russian plot coincide with the chernobyl meltdown. The machine they used needed to siphon power from the Hawkins power plant and it barely opened the gateway up.

It sounds cool, but the chernobyl disaster was real and killed many people and many went through lots of physical suffering.

Not sure its a super great idea to twist that around. Dunno.