• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Lara can also do this. When you request a song from her, you could actually choose to request two songs and she'll just mash them up on the spot.

I asked her to combine Metroid Red Soil and NES Brinstar.

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
Someone else requested that she play Thomas the Tank Engine faster and faster until she dies

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Her stuff is always great.

I don't know music well enough, is this something you can learn or is this prodigy tier? Because it's like an Ear-Sharingan.
You need to be at least somewhat musically inclined, and then it's years and years of training. If you study / play music for long enough you learn, either consciously or unconsciously, the patterns that make up 99% of it, and your brain will predict them for you, that's how jazz bands are able to improvise so well. You also develop a muscle memory for an instrument, where you can instinctively play a melody without thinking about it. Picking it up this fast is impressive, but it's also not prodigy tier, it's professional studio musician tier. Professional musicians are impressive though. I would probably need to rewind each part 5+ times to nail it down (not the full song, but just the chord progression / basic melody, like she's doing)

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You need to be at least somewhat musically inclined, and then it's years and years of training. If you study / play music for long enough you learn, either consciously or unconsciously, the patterns that make up 99% of it, and your brain will predict them for you, that's how jazz bands are able to improvise so well. You also develop a muscle memory for an instrument, where you can instinctively play a melody without thinking about it. Picking it up this fast is impressive, but it's also not prodigy tier, it's professional studio musician tier. Professional musicians are impressive though. I would probably need to rewind each part 5+ times to nail it down (not the full song, but just the chord progression / basic melody, like she's doing)

Pretty much this. It's amazing what you can do when you practice your ear training. Basically if you can run a major scale in your head you can figure out most chord progressions just by listening.

Terminus

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Jesus, that sounds incredible, and I don't even like the original. I need a full version of this.

Spenny

Oct 25, 2017
San Diego-ish
Love it. Though I don't think perfect pitch and synesthesia have anything to do with it. I've been playing the piano 28+ years (grandma was a Suzuki method practitioner) and can pretty much do the same thing. I probably wouldn't pick it up as quick now because I haven't thoroughly practiced with an instrument in 11 years. It's just something that happens when you've played an instrument for so long and aren't trained to learn music off of sheets.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Her streams are always fun. Especially love the medleys she'll occasionally play. Watching her transitioning to all those song requests is amazing.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
I'm listening to that mega medley at the moment.

People like this don't have a gift, they are the gift. o_o

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
She admits here that she's reading from sheet music. This really should be added to the OP.

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
She's great, some insane talent right there! so good! Need to watch more of her!

Maybe not as impressive, but in the same style, 8bitdrummer just adds drum to any songs requested during his stream, while talking and reading the chat at the same time he's playing, it's quite good :

sometimes he already knows the music but it's still amazing, he's having a lot of fun :

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I remember seeing that medley video making the rounds a while back. She's great.

I don't know music well enough, is this something you can learn or is this prodigy tier? Because it's like an Ear-Sharingan.
I'm not a pro musician, but I can sometimes get a vague feel for what notes are coming next in a piece of music, even if I haven't heard the song before. There are only so many ways a piece of music can go at any given moment while still sounding like music. Music is about fulfilling or subverting one's expectations of what's coming next, so some pieces are easier to predict than others. This gets easier the more music you listen to. I imagine pros can do it way better than I can. I can only guess very vaguely, or not be that surprised when a piece of music goes somewhere else.

I most definitely can't recreate a song from scratch this completely though, so this looks mostly like a superpower to me too. I don't know if this is prodigy level, or if many talented pros can do this.

On a related note, talented drummers can play along pretty well to a piece of music even if they haven't heard it before, by adlibbing a rhythm that fits the music. It's kind of like clapping to the beat of a music, but taken to an entirely different level.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019
As far as I'm aware, and maybe I'm wrong, there's actually no such thing as "having perfect pitch."

I don't say that to discredit her though, it makes it more impressive.

neon_dream

Dec 18, 2017
q1c3nkkU_400x400.jpg

She's awesome.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
It's a shame this isn't going a bit viral using her own Youtube channel. I remember when Lost in Vegas went viral when they did a reaction to a metal band and then blew them up pretty big. I would love to hear her listen and learn some more heavy metal tracks! Hopefully this gives her a pretty big boost in viewers and subs on Twitch. Start a Patreon! I'll subscribe!

Lothar

Oct 25, 2017
I thought it would be obvious, but it is a link to her playing the Rick Roll song.

Yes I am dumb. I haven't thought about that meme in a long time, haha.

Is getting rickroll'd so old that people can't even tell when they're getting rickroll'd?

BTW the medley video is amazing. I wish she had played some of those tracks for longer than just a few seconds.

Well this is what she does in every other stream. 3 hours 3-4 times a week. Picks songs from chat and plays them for a long time. That and learning new songs by ear. This mega medley of 10 second songs was just a game she wanted to play this one time. In Nov 2017.

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
She talks about her synesthesia in this video. She's very matter of fact about it, which makes sense since for her it is completely normal. She has no frame of reference on what it would be like to not experience sound the way that she does.

muteKi Why the snarky comment? People sharing legitimate moments of excitement and happiness together in realtime is a great thing.

Oct 27, 2017
"It's the TTFAF girl" - love it!

Lara is great, and she's been at this a long time. She currently does medleys and marathons while most in the US are sleeping.

Meia

Oct 26, 2017
Just said on stream that she got many requests because of reddit asking her to try dragonforce, but apparently the one that started it was one of the bandmembers? That's pretty neat. Then proceeded to play her version of it then added bubble bobble to the end of it for the hell of it.

ldcommando

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just said on stream that she got many requests because of reddit asking her to try dragonforce, but apparently the one that started it was one of the bandmembers? That's pretty neat. Then proceeded to play her version of it then added bubble bobble to the end of it for the hell of it.
yep, herman li was the one that requested the song

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

While this is impressive, the song ultimately follows some pretty simple and cliched chord progressions & melodies and repeats shit quite a lot. Talented musicians like her can easily pick up on shit like that because these things are common between songs & even genres.