• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrLuchador

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
Posted on behalf of: TalonJH

1*aRsmzdDXBBUIleTpbagvfg.jpeg

More at link: https://blog.streamlabs.com/streaml...-in-streamers-tipping-nears-100m-f21f2e8d368b

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Thanks MrLuchador

Twitch increased 67% in concurrent streamers, while YouTube fell 12%.

Periscope increased 80% in concurrent viewers, proving it can become a place to grow a streamer's fan base.

YouTube outpaced Twitch this quarter in monthly active streamers, and grew by 56% compared to Twitch, which only saw a 16% increase in streamers using Streamlabs.

Over 3.8M hours streamed of PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS, becoming the #1 game streamed on Twitch for the quarter.

Increase in viewer spend and engagement with over 152 million alerts and notifications and 2 million donations processed this quarter, proving that live streaming will become an official entertainment destination.

Over the last 3 quarters (Jan-Jun) Streamlabs processed ~$75M in tips. Projected $100m+ in tips for 2017.

Beefwheat

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Winkler, Manitoba
Fascinating. I've recently gotten into watching a lot of Twitch streaming myself. Thrown some subscriptions around but haven't donated to anybody yet. When describing streamers to my friends, they both didn't understand why you would give somebody money to watch them play a game. I explained that it's a bit like tipping a street entertainer, or just that people feel generous.

(What I don't understand is the people who donate huge amounts to more popular streamers)

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
Fascinating. I've recently gotten into watching a lot of Twitch streaming myself. Thrown some subscriptions around but haven't donated to anybody yet. When describing streamers to my friends, they both didn't understand why you would give somebody money to watch them play a game. I explained that it's a bit like tipping a street entertainer, or just that people feel generous.

(What I don't understand is the people who donate huge amounts to more popular streamers)

That's a really good way of describing it. As for the huge donations, I don't get it either. I guess as long as you have the money.

$100m on donations is nuts, I wonder how much attention the old tax man pays attention to all of that.

That hammer will fall eventually. For now, most larger streamers that I've personally talked to that are doing it for a living are reporting their tips waiting for that day. It's sometimes surprising how well documented some of them are to actually ask me for an invoice beforehand when I do a little graphic work for them.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
That's a really good way of describing it. As for the huge donations, I don't get it either. I guess as long as you have the money.

That hammer will fall eventually. For now, most larger streamers that I've personally talked to that are doing it for a living are reporting their tips waiting for that day. It's sometimes surprising how well documented some of them are to actually ask me for an invoice beforehand when I do a little graphic work for them.

Some of the big streamers make enough money that if they didn't report it properly, the IRS would definitely come knocking.