• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wondered if it's also about having complete control over the rights and revenue. I have no idea how guest IPs work in that regard with things like esports. Do they have to give up a percentage?
That's probably also correct. I imagine the SF team doesn't want to run into any licensing fuckups like they have with Marvel.

Who knows what kind of deals Namco has made with SNK, Square Enix and uh AMC though.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I think they just don't care to mix Street Fighter with non-Capcom properties, which is a mistake from a marketing perspective since that kind of crossover brings in a lot of additional eyes on the game.

I don't actually believe it's made that big of a difference for most of these games. It's made Soul Calibur and NRS seem cheap in the past IMO.

How about a Street Fighter game with well thought out mechanic where we don't see the same characters in every top 8?

Half the crowd walked out because Smash 4 had an all-Bayo top-3. We see Devil Jin, Jakk-7 and Dragunov at every major T7 top-8. Cell and Vegeta are everywhere in DBFZ. Ruby will dominate BB Cross Tag this year. What world do you live in where this fighting game ever really exists beyond the odd outlier year?

If ST were actually competitive today, it would be a whole lot of O.Sagat. 3S had 5 Chuns in top-8 in it's last year at EVO. Even SF4 had years of multiple Akumas, multiple Fei Longs, multiple E.Ryus.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't actually believe it's made that big of a difference for most of these games. It's made Soul Calibur and NRS seem cheap in the past IMO.
I dunno about that. The Geese trailer had almost two million views. The Abby trailer less than a third of that. :P

Soul Calibur probably was too ridiculous about it.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You want a crazy crossover, well Bayonetta's coming to SFV!

WfM7wAY.png

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I dunno about that. The Geese trailer had almost two million views. The Abby trailer less than a third of that. :P

Soul Calibur probably was too ridiculous about it.

For sure I can agree that THOSE types of guests might help out. Geese and Akuma were kind of inside baseball though, and what you're getting is some extra crossover with SF or KOF sub-communities.

They weren't guests in, say, the way that Negan or Noctis are. I don't believe that those kinds of wack gimmick adds move the needle for them when those characters actually drop. It's just kind of a big hype bubble when they're announced followed by nobody actually giving a damn when they release.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For sure I can agree that THOSE types of guests might help out. Geese and Akuma were kind of inside baseball though, and what you're getting is some extra crossover with SF or KOF sub-communities.

They weren't guests in, say, the way that Negan or Noctis are. I don't believe that those kinds of wack gimmick adds move the needle for them when those characters actually drop. It's just kind of a big hype bubble when they're announced followed by nobody actually giving a damn when they release.
Honestly who knows. But bringing in the interest of an additional fandom/community can't hurt too much.

Not Negan though, I agree with that. :P

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
That's probably also correct. I imagine the SF team doesn't want to run into any licensing fuckups like they have with Marvel.

Who knows what kind of deals Namco has made with SNK, Square Enix and uh AMC though.

I could see that. Licensing can be hell.

Yeah, no idea. Other companies have guest characters and still have pro tours, and have to eat some licensing costs in general, but then you're talking publishers like WB and Namco which probably don't have the same financial situation as Capcom.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Street Fighter has a pretty large cast of iconic characters, so they don't really need cross-over characters, but I guess they do seem to be the new hip thing these days.

This is right, and I don't think crossovers or anything will move the sales needle for SFV. The ship has sailed. The goal now should be to keep the base sustainable until the next game.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, no idea. Other companies have guest characters and still have pro tours, and have to eat some licensing costs in general, but then you're talking publishers like WB and Namco which probably don't have the same financial situation as Capcom.

Likely. WB and Namco are probably more willing to do guest characters for their fighters.

Street Fighter has a pretty large cast of iconic characters, so they don't really need cross-over characters, but I guess they do seem to be the new hip thing these days.

Yep. I wouldn't mind a guest or two for SFV. I just can live without their presence.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how is this apparently Trump-like character gonna fly when he's revealed.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how is this apparently Trump-like character gonna fly when he's revealed.
Can't wait for the "boycott liberal Capcuck" to start again.

Because boycotting it the first time totally worked.
I think G is going to be more on the eccentric but benevolent side. #themessagetothepeople doesn't really sound that evil.
It absolutely sounds like something Gill would say.

Oct 25, 2017
But wouldn't it be weird if Gill was G and controlling Q this entire time? Is the goal of the Illuminati to...reunite PANGEA? How does that fit with Gill doing genetic experiments and shit
My point was that one can have evil means to a noble end.

Gill's ideal world is a new order in which the strongest thrive and exist as one. Perhaps it connects to the Pangaea thing.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We need more African characters, how many do we have? Elena and Menat? Those are the only 2, which is a shame considering that so many countries are unrepresented in terms of playable characters there. Nigeria, Algeria, Ethiopia, South Africa, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
DBFZ is finally fucking over. Now...

Edit:
We need more African characters, how many do we have? Elena and Menat? Those are the only 2, which is a shame considering that so many countries are unrepresented in terms of playable characters there. Nigeria, Algeria, Ethiopia, South Africa, etc.
That's more than Australia.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This cup of coffee ain't doing much for me. I blame everyone for this delay. Even you.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Dang, I am labbing the hell out of Sagat tomorrow. And he can zone!!! Shit is hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.