• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom could've released arcade SFIV on consoles, they didn't because they weren't as shameless as they are now, which is also the reason why they grew fond of this new "model" that delivers less content for more money, also visible in how MVCI was managed. I pity the great developers that work at such a shameless company holding back so many great IPs from achieving proper quality with lack of resources. Btw the only thing changing with time is how much money companies can make out of players passiveness in getting less and less content for their cents, and yet sadly I love this IP and supported it, too bad that just now after 2 seasons passes we have a vanilla SFIV volume game.

The hyperbole is real. Capcom released the previous title of SF in arcade because arcades in Japan were alive and kicking back then. Since then, they were slowly becoming a thing of the past so there's nothing "shameless" about it. If they were, they would have continued to rob money off of people by releasing a new game of SF every year, isolate players online, and charge for balance/feature/gameplay updates.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Going start back with menat as a back up for my karin .
Not like it really matter for online play since most of my games laggy in some way .

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The hyperbole is real. Capcom released the previous title of SF in arcade because arcades in Japan were alive and kicking back then. Since then, they were slowly becoming a thing of the past so there's nothing "shameless" about it. If they were, they would have continued to rob money off of people by releasing a new game of SF every year, isolate players online, and charge for balance/feature/gameplay updates.
They're not a thing of the past in Japan, the lack of an Arcade version is a real issue and they've been testing the literal Arcade Edition. (There's a reason Sakura literally works in one and Blanka is a crane game plushy)

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Juri is she doesn't do anything other characters in the game can't do better. It's the same problem with FANG, if you want to play a zoning charge character, you're better off with Guile.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're not a thing of the past in Japan, the lack of an Arcade version is a real issue and they've been testing the literal Arcade Edition. (There's a reason Sakura literally works in one and Blanka is a crane game plushy)

What I'm saying is it's not a strong scene as it used to be and day-by-day, even in Japan, arcades seem to be getting less popular. If SFV does get an arcade release there I definitely think it will help but not as much as we think. Speaking of Sakura.

lusca_bueno

Nov 23, 2017

I aknowledge the popularity of arcades back then as the main factor the games shipped before to the machines, but that still doesn't change the fact SFIV was on console with a proper amount of content while SFV didn't, which is my point. The arcade and console experiences are highly different. As a casual player it's easy to identify the competitive nature of the arcade, which is more of an "experience" than a "product" in itself, because you're not entitled to play it whenever you want at your home, but for the casual player, that's where the appeal lies, and most of them are not even competitive or want said experience, which is why it's meaningless to point out what Capcom did for the competitive community at least to me, even though I recognize these changes as positive, don't misunderstand me, I like a lot of things that changed from SFIV to SFV. But just to keep it in perspective that I talk as a casual player that enjoys varied content and not really technical varied outcomes of the competitive scene. And talking about content, objectivelly, I still paid $60 in both games with a very different reception.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it again, but the 2018 CPT stage 100% needs to be Plaza Capcom, complete with a Blanka plushie crane machine and Sakura as an NPC.

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
I'm looking at red bull cans but don't see any street fighter how do I know which ones will have a code under the tab?

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but going with the FM system wasn't a requirement to do that. They could have gone with an MKXL or KI type model that didn't charge for a major balance/season update. It wasn't just go with FM or force people to buy a new revision to keep playing. There are a lot of middle ground options.

The other option is just to require real money for characters, isn't it? That's what those other games did. Getting them for free is obviously a better option. Of course, many other games, MK and Injustice included, also give you a larger starting roster. But I don't think most games give you updates of the caliber of Arcade Edition for free.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm looking at red bull cans but don't see any street fighter how do I know which ones will have a code under the tab?
They're specially labeled with a Street Fighter character and the 30th anniversary logo. I think they may be harder to come by now because I haven't been seeing them when I've gone to Walmart and Publix during the past week. They look like this:

red-bull-sfv-cans.png

Owlowiscious

Oct 27, 2017
They're specially labeled with a Street Fighter character and the 30th anniversary logo. I think they may be harder to come by now because I haven't been seeing them when I've gone to Walmart and Publix during the past week. They look like this:

red-bull-sfv-cans.png
Lol dammit I'm at a Walmart right now a d the glass on the red bull display has a street fighter red bull ad but none of the cans inside are the street fighter ones. :(

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The other option is just to require real money for characters, isn't it? That's what those other games did. Getting them for free is obviously a better option. Of course, many other games, MK and Injustice included, also give you a larger starting roster. But I don't think most games give you updates of the caliber of Arcade Edition for free.

Free with no strings attached, yes. Not necessarily in reality. It depends on your purchase habits, users in your household, amount of free time, raised DLC prices to compensate,etc. It's not universally better for everyone if it comes with some baggage.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
What KI did was include the updates as part of the season. So a season pass would include all the characters, stages, costumes, and game modes.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I played through some of the new modes last night.

Let me see if my facts are correct:

*You don't get any FM or even EXP for beating any Arcade modes.
*The rewards from the EX Battles are RNG dependant, you may not get what you want.
*The rewards from the weeklies are less than before.

Is this accurate? Because I am shocked there isn't a big hoopla over the EX Battles since they are just a small downgrade from actual lootboxes. In the case of the Shin Akuma, it's a lootbox that you can actually fail meaning you can pour thousands of FM down the toilet. EX Battles are pretty much heavy FM sinks. Arcade modes are just a waste of time, I can look up the art online.

Also why do most of the new VT have command dashes? Is that the new hotness now? And God damn everything is so gold.... It's so garish at this point.

Dreamwriter

Oct 27, 2017
I am disappointed you get no FM for arcade mode at all, since that's 90% of how I spend my time playing the game.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL

*The rewards from the EX Battles are RNG dependant, you may not get what you want.

Is this accurate? Because I am shocked there isn't a big hoopla over the EX Battles since they are just a small downgrade from actual lootboxes. In the case of the Shin Akuma, it's a lootbox that you can actually fail meaning you can pour thousands of FM down the toilet. EX Battles are pretty much heavy FM sinks. Arcade modes are just a waste of time, I can look up the art online.

Also why do most of the new VT have command dashes? Is that the new hotness now? And God damn everything is so gold.... It's so garish at this point.

Extra Battle rewards are not RNG. You get the listed rewards but the game specifies you only get one reward at a time so you will have to clear the challenge a second time for the second reward, a third time for the third reward and so on.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Aww Akuma's backHP, EX Red fb into trigger then teleport, DP no longer works. Unless I am missing something that's really bummed me out.

Onemic

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worse in many ways unless you play the game a ton and specifically go out of your way to get fm or you're a casual player. Not to mention that now the amount of fm you can get per week is smaller than its ever been. Fact of the matter is that an overwhelming amount of people will be buying the season pass and not getting every character for free through fm. Altogether the price you pay for buying the season passes is much higher than the SF4 model...and you get less characters and no stages to boot.

In the 2 years the SFV has been out Ive already spent more money on it than SF4 and for much less content.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I still can't believe they buffed Abigail. I already thought he was strong last season, and they made his s.mk, s.fp, c.fp and running punch all better. The v-trigger scaling nerf hurts him, no more insane 80% damage combos, but I think the trade-off is worth it.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's worse in many ways unless you play the game a ton and specifically go out of your way to get fm or you're a casual player. Not to mention that now the amount of fm you can get per week is smaller than its ever been. Fact of the matter is that an overwhelming amount of people will be buying the season pass and not getting every character for free through fm. Altogether the price you pay for buying the season passes is much higher than the SF4 model...and you get less characters and no stages to boot.

In the 2 years the SFV has been out Ive already spent more money on it than SF4 and for much less content.

I haven't played SFV that much. I bought it for $30 (right before it dropped to $20) after Akuma came out. I've bought six characters and an extra costume with FM. So far it's a lot cheaper than the vanilla SFIV, SSFIV, AE and Ultra versions I bought last gen. I guess your mileage is gonna vary.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like taking away FM has removed so much motivation for me to play this game, and this is a guy who played a ton of Vanilla. I know you get FM through level ups but the way they keep track of how much EXP to level up is so ambiguous that it makes it seem not worthwhile.

I like the concept around arcade mode but not having any rival battles, intros, and so on is kind of annoying (I get these are kind of fulfilled through the character stories, but it still feels so detached). The entire thing feels like they just smashed a bunch of fights together and called it a day; honestly, if I wanted that I would've just done survival mode. I feel like making a really well defined single arcade mode would have been a much better idea than trying to do these branches for each game in the franchise, I really didn't think they needed to do that.

Onemic

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played SFV that much. I bought it for $30 (right before it dropped to $20) after Akuma came out. I've bought six characters and an extra costume with FM. So far it's a lot cheaper than the vanilla SFIV, SSFIV, AE and Ultra versions I bought last gen. I guess your mileage is gonna vary.

Like I said, if you're a casual player then the model is fine. I think the solution to appease everyone would have been to let anyone be able to select a dlc character as an opponent to practice against in training mode. That way you dont feel forced to get the season pass just so you can test stuff against a DLC character.

WildGoose

Oct 27, 2017
Aww Akuma's backHP, EX Red fb into trigger then teleport, DP no longer works. Unless I am missing something that's really bummed me out.

It doesn't work in VT2 because (I think) it has more recovery after you activate. You can still do it in VT1 though!

Edit: Actually you can still teleport behind in VT2 but the DP will whiff, maybe it just needs the buffed VT1 DP to connect.

Last edited:

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, if you're a casual player then the model is fine. I think the solution to appease everyone would have been to let anyone be able to select a dlc character as an opponent to practice against in training mode. That way you dont feel forced to get the season pass just so you can test stuff against a DLC character.

Ya callin' me casual bro

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
After reinstalling SFV and rebooting my Computer. There's definitely a problem with the LOD with Metro City Bay Stage. It's not a problem when playing in Training or Versus (Didn't check Online) but once I head into SF1 Arcade Mode as Zeku, the LOD starts going nuts and my FPS dropping.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece

Also:

If you complete character story mode or survival in offline mode, you do not get any fight money even if you log back in.
Especially if you make the mistake of completing characters or main story mode offline, you've wasted FM forever

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
I am disappointed you get no FM for arcade mode at all, since that's 90% of how I spend my time playing the game.
Yep.

I copped this due to Arcade and Sakura. Now with Arcade outta here, with the less FM, geez. Capcom royally fucked up lol.

Somebody needs to make a thread on this within the next few hours. I'm at work so I can't do it but someone else should. If not, I'll do it when I get home because it needs to be talked about.

Status
Not open for further replies.