• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

Right before CPT the air around SFV will be largely negative because of this commercial bullshit. Good job, capcom. Couldn't just ride into your super bowl with hype, nah...let's just add fucking ads on our characters right before the free play period AND the biggest event of the year.

Like, wtf is this timing?

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They can't really top last year without something huge, but I'm thinking a S4 features trailer w/ improved netcode and maybe story #2 as a way to intro the characters.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

Right before CPT the air around SFV will be largely negative because of this commercial bullshit. Good job, capcom. Couldn't just ride into your super bowl with hype, nah...let's just add fucking ads on our characters right before the free play period AND the biggest event of the year.

Including adsnin-gane will likely be one of the reasons Capcom will use to explain why they can continue to have large prize pools for their events. Ads in competitions are a necessary evil, odd timing though.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017

You can turn it off and earn FM by turning it on. What's the problem?

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It's a good option select. If Capcom doesn't ruin the game with ads then Jim can say he helped keep it from happening. If Capcom fucks it up then Jim can say he was right to be alarmist and people should listen to him.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
18.6GB update on Steam.

That's either a shit-ton of ads or there is a lot of stuff being added we don't know about. Interesting...

Edit: Wait...does SFV still have that limitation where if they have to resend the entire file package if something in it got an update? Maybe those ads are forcing a re-download of most of the graphical content?

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
That's either a shit-ton of ads or there is a lot of stuff being added we don't know about. Interesting...

Edit: Wait...does SFV still have that limitation where if they have to resend the entire file package if something in it got an update? Maybe those ads are forcing a re-download of most of the graphical content?
Hope not all just dumb fucking ads. Hope it's actually S4.

We're getting a LOT of stuff for S4 judging by the update
giphy.gif

Oct 27, 2017
Wait...does SFV still have that limitation where if they have to resend the entire file package if something in it got an update? Maybe those ads are forcing a re-download of most of the graphical content?
Yes that's most likely it. I doubt that they prepared the costumes to get ads beforehand, so we certainly have to download updated versions of every costumes that will get ads.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's happened before where we've had large updates for very little. Doesn't mean much.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Only gonna gloss over that Sterling video on SFV. But baselessly bashing SFV when you don't actually care about the game and just feel like hating on it because it's an easy target is so 2016. We get it, 2 years ago, SFV launched the way it did. That game no longer exists.

Meanwhile we have Smash with the worst online ever created in the modern era, but we certainly won't be having videos from him on that subject.

Much like how FM works where you have the option to purchase DLC with the in-game currency, or purchase DLC with real money, people are getting irate over having more options. That's great. Fewer options for us all in the future, then.

Keylow

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand what the big deal is. It's not costing anyone any money and it's a way to earn more fight money. Don't like it don't use it. All the complaining is really annoying.

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I mean if I play against someone wearing an ad costume thats gonna remind of an upcoming tournament, Im ok with that.

If i play against someone wearing an ad costume thats gonna remind to pick up a 2 piece leg and thigh from Popeyes, Im also ok with that.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Only gonna gloss over that Sterling video on SFV. But baselessly bashing SFV when you don't actually care about the game and just feel like hating on it because it's an easy target is so 2016. We get it, 2 years ago, SFV launched the way it did. That game no longer exists.

Meanwhile we have Smash with the worst online ever created in the modern era, but we certainly won't be having videos from him on that subject.

Much like how FM works where you have the option to purchase DLC with the in-game currency, or purchase DLC with real money, people are getting irate over having more options. That's great. Fewer options for us all in the future, then.

Eh, I think the ad insertion is worth talking about and is fair game for skepticism. Something as an option does not necessarily equal something that ends up being an overall better thing for the game. Compies pitch loot boxes as options.
Let's see how they handle it.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Jim is fairly regularly off the mark but he absolutely has no real understanding of how fighting games are appealing at all. He actually thinks something like Tekken 7 having two season passes is something to be furious over.

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
Why can't this game get its shit together in regards to how it packs its files.

It's been three years. How do people not yet know this stupid-ass game redownloads everything every time there's a major update?
They always put some data along with their horrible compressing file management. Isn't that how people leaked S1 stuff?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I booted the update up. They added two new BGM to Grid, and Jin's music is in the files as well. No new Fighting Chance costume or Dojo items it seems. Still unpacking the files.

According to steam.db the update is adding +1.8 GB, which is pretty substantial. For comparison, the Dojo update was +1.19 GB, and that added a ton of models for the Dojo stage. The G + Sagat update was +1.48 GB. It should be noted that whenever they make us download everything again, they end up incorporating the in-game downloaded .paks into the main files, so that would account for ~450 MB. Still, that's 1.4 GB of new stuff.

Yes that's most likely it. I doubt that they prepared the costumes to get ads beforehand, so we certainly have to download updated versions of every costumes that will get ads.
Yeah, I thought it would be a small update to add textures, but I went back and look at the screenshots and realized that Alex actually had a new title belt to display the ad. I wonder if they updated the original meshes entirely and are just gonna use their invisible method to hide parts if people turn the ads off? If they're adding new stuff like that to the models, that could inflate the size, but even with that I don't think it'd reach 1.4 GB.

I think making us redownload the entire game this week makes it even less likely that they'd make us redownload everything again next week. Then again, this is Capcpom.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
The "its optional, guys!" shit has PROVEN to be false when it comes to nickle and dime fuckery. It only balloons until the "option" is too good to pass up. That or endless grinding.

Watching ads for "optional" FM during a free to play test. Do you guys not see the writing on the wall? The "option" for watching commercials before matches for a theoretical free to play SF6 will end up being the best way to gain any real Fight Money. And that sound like fucking shit to me.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Could they be treating this as the pre-S4 patch? Kind of like WoW does pre-expansion patches shortly before the full, actual expansions go live?

Going from 3.100 to 3.110 doesn't sound like a major update, though.

I guess I meant to differentiate any updates that require a download through Steam from the occasional in-game only updates.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I think the ad insertion is worth talking about and is fair game for skepticism. Something as an option does not necessarily equal something that ends up being an overall better thing for the game. Compies pitch loot boxes as options.
Let's see how they handle it.
To me, as long as it's not forced upon you, there is no issue.
The "its optional, guys!" shit has PROVEN to be false when it comes to nickle and dime fuckery. It only balloons until the "option" is too good to pass up. That or endless grinding.

Watching ads for "optional" FM during a free to play test. Do you guys not see the writing on the wall? The "option" for watching commercials before matches for a theoretical free to play SF6 will end up being the best way to gain any real Fight Money. And that sound like fucking shit to me.
You realize that people complain about the existence of Fight Money by itself? Don't worry: in Street Fighter 6, there won't be any FM at all and you're going to have to buy everything using real money. Just how the masses want it.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Interesting. It looks like the "Ad Style" costumes count as new costumes completely, with their own meshes, textures, etc. That could be why the update is so large.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

lol people already hate FM, in case you didn't know.

I'll personally be surprised if we see FM return at all.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
You realize that people complain about the existence of Fight Money by itself? Don't worry: in Street Fighter 6, there won't be any FM at all and you're going to have to buy everything using real money. Just how the masses want it.

I'd take that over the current FM system if the cosmetic prices were much more reasonable. I buy the seasons passes bacuse it's a decent deal with the costumes included. FM sounded great on paper, but nothing is truly free. It works for a lot of people, especially if they don't buy many cosmetics, but it comes with concessions and not all of them are great for everybody.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I love the idea of seeing ads in costumes, my only issue is that in the preview pic it looks like they did those costumes in the most amateurish way possible, like they copy pasted a low res png on the costume using paint

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
To me, as long as it's not forced upon you, there is no issue.

Then why all the "free to play" testing? In one year they've added 3 ecosystems that will require some form of in game currency.

Dojo items
Loot boxes
And now "ads" that you can partake in to get a reward. And they're doing this DURING the free to play week.

And we all know that they love to do planning for their next game at the tail end of their current one. They are building towards something that I can't just go "eh...it's alright. Doesn't really effect me."

Dude, this shit will effect us all if it's the ground work for SF6.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
LOL, it looks like Alex isn't the only one with the title belt. Urien's Ad Style costume will have it, too. I guess only some of the characters will be champions :(

So there's no Fighting Chance costume but what Extra Battle, Shang ?
No new Extra Battle bosses so far, unfortunately. I see some placeholders for I believe 10 new Extra Battle costumes and 5 paid costumes. There also appears to be a placeholder description for one new stage.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
No new Extra Battle bosses so far, unfortunately. I see some placeholders for I believe 10 new Extra Battle costumes and 5 paid costumes. There also appears to be a placeholder description for one new stage.

So no Abigail? That's potentially good news for a possible S4 drop this month, or did I miss something?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
So no Abigail? That's potentially good news for a possible S4 drop this month, or did I miss something?
Mech Abi and Ryu Jin are indeed in the files already. Like I said before, whenever they double up on Extra Battles like that it's because they're not planning on releasing a new patch until after the second character's EBs have begun.

I did find placeholders for individual colors and costumes for the new character that this update lays the groundwork for: ID_CMN_Cont_Char_0035AE There are lots of placeholders for character description, costume description, etc. And whoever it is, they're launching with a new stage.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Alternate training music is a good idea. I still dream about SFIV's training theme sometimes.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Mech Abi and Ryu Jin are indeed in the files already. Like I said before, whenever they double up on Extra Battles like that it's because they're not planning on releasing a new patch until after the second character's EBs have begun.

Ah bummer. January it is then I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.