• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
I have made excuses for them for the last few years, and last year they really seemed to be improving, but then they go and do this. I can understand why some people won't put up with their bullshit. Why the fuck do you show the entire season of season 3 and not do the same the next year? At least give us silhouettes for fuck's sake.

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been thinking about a lack of a season 4 pass and trailer and also that "we're doing things differently" line. Some people speculated Capcom wants to squeeze the full individual character price out of the playerbase, but that doesn't sit with me. Capcom would know it's better to get $30 up-front out of players for a season pass, otherwise they lose out on players that might drop the game early in S4, only buy one or two characters, or unlock the cast entirely with fight money. It also makes no sense we didn't get at least get a silhouette roster at the end of Kage's trailer. Even though the community doesn't care for them, it would've been better than nothing.

My speculation is we didn't get a season 4 trailer or pass yet because Capcom isn't confident they can design and implement six new characters this season. I'm seriously wondering if Capcom saw the poor sales figures for AE and decided to re-distribute the remaining resources for SFV towards SFVI development. Capcom doesn't want to announce up-front at Capcom Cup "Oh hey, for season 4 we're only having three DLC characters", it'd cause "SFV is dead!" panic. So intead, they're burying the lede. That's my opinion anyway.
Probably this. Fuck!

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
So real talk: I had 2 dreams about the post Capcom Cup announcement:
One dream was a DC fighting game being announced
The other was Sodom being announced for SF5

I know I had the game on my mind when I went to bed last night but its funny when I think about it.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
So I've been thinking about a lack of a season 4 pass and trailer and also that "we're doing things differently" line. Some people speculated Capcom wants to squeeze the full individual character price out of the playerbase, but that doesn't sit with me. Capcom would know it's better to get $30 up-front out of players for a season pass, otherwise they lose out on players that might drop the game early in S4, only buy one or two characters, or unlock the cast entirely with fight money. It also makes no sense we didn't get at least get a silhouette roster at the end of Kage's trailer. Even though the community doesn't care for them, it would've been better than nothing.

My speculation is we didn't get a season 4 trailer or pass yet because Capcom isn't confident they can design and implement six new characters this season. I'm seriously wondering if Capcom saw the poor sales figures for AE and decided to re-distribute the remaining resources for SFV towards SFVI development. Capcom doesn't want to announce up-front at Capcom Cup "Oh hey, for season 4 we're only having three DLC characters", it'd cause "SFV is dead!" panic. So intead, they're burying the lede. That's my opinion anyway.
But Type Arcade is on the way? Why kill ongoing support for the game when they've been investing in an arcade machine that is finally about to see the light of day?

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be able to play this for a few days, so I have a couple of dumb questions:

1. How many straight-up new moves (like F.A.N.G's glide) were added in the patch?
2. Does Kage have completely unique animations or does he use a bunch of Ryu's stuff?

Thanks.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
But Type Arcade is on the way? Why kill ongoing support for the game when they've been investing in an arcade machine that is finally about to see the light of day?

The arcade machine was in plans since 2017, when Capcom had high hopes of turning around SFV with AE. The contracts and money were already paid out by the time Capcom realized AE wasn't going to move copies like they were hoping it would.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Taken from a post of mine from about a month ago...

I would prefer if they touched up some of his normals (shaved a frame off his standing medium kick and heavy kick...

Done.

...gave him a little more foot speed (nothing too crazy)...

They did that, too.

...improved the distance of his slide...

That is three for three.

Guys... am I the new X-Kira? Or am I something else because my predictions are more reliable...?

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The arcade machine was in plans since 2017, when Capcom had high hopes of turning around SFV with AE. The contracts and money were already paid out by the time Capcom realized AE wasn't going to move copies like they were hoping it would.

"Finally, after we fucked up innumerable times for two years, we put an arcade mode in SFV!"

"Why won't you dweebs buy SFVAE!?!?!?"

Oct 27, 2017
1. How many straight-up new moves (like F.A.N.G's glide) were added in the patch?
Aeev7CL.jpg

G1uWHxq.jpg

tzt6Sjg.jpg

BI8aDDE.jpg

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
Is there a consensus on the Sagat changes from anyone?
im not an expert but from what Ive read he got better, but maybe not in the ways people expected.

His heavy uppercut is now invincible to mid air attacks so hopefully no more trades on that.
His kara cancel window is now more stricter (i think) for step low kick
His tiger shots got some buff too

If im reading these right, they emphasized his zone game a lot more, but I haven't tested anything in game

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So, how much of an effect on V-Trigger activation frequency for 3-bar VTs will nerfing V-Meter gain across the board have (minus the odd insistence on making sweeps the one place everyone got an increase)?

EDIT: A rather silly question in retrospect, but it also seems like the fight would be practically over by the time you got enough now. Seems the change was more to mitigate multiple 2-bar activations.

Last edited:

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
So, how much of an effect on V-Trigger activation frequency for 3-bar VTs will nerfing V-Meter gain across the board have (minus the odd insistence on making sweeps the one place everyone got an increase)?

EDIT: A rather silly question in retrospect, but it also seems like the fight would be practically over by the time you got enough now.
A lot. Should get it around 1/3 health with no crush counters or v skills helping. So near death and stun.

Is there a consensus on the Sagat changes from anyone?
Better high fireballs. Better uppercuts for heavy and the angry scar versions. More of a fortress now.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
I think the main benefit will be for wakeup options. Confirming this in neutral will be super hard, and he doesn't get good oki off of knee anyway.

Alex has a few buffs, for example his V-skills, on hit went from 2f to 5f, you can use his V-skill after Ex-elbow, ex-Chop, and ex-stomp, if you land a combo and end it with ex-flash chop, just cancel into v-skill and will have enough time for him to say i am all warmed up with no punish from the player, the increase plus on hit means i can link Ex-knee even off a jab, also means I can now jab link into his CA...

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
V-reversals kill now lmao

Does Capcom even test the shit they make.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Capcom being dodgy about their plans makes me hella concerned about the future of the game. And while Kage is cool, E. Ryu is a pretty underwhelming start for the season.

That said, the new season beginning IMMEDIATELY after CapCup is something I feel we're all taking for granted. Capcom has been fucking up with SFV a lot lately, but they deserve a lot of credit for that.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom being dodgy about their plans makes me hella concerned about the future of the game. And while Kage is cool, E. Ryu is a pretty underwhelming start for the season.

That said, the new season beginning IMMEDIATELY after CapCup is something I feel we're all taking for granted. Capcom has been fucking up with SFV a lot lately, but they deserve a lot of credit for that.

I would have been fine waiting if they launched with more transparency. Maybe they weren't ready. Maybe they were but are purposely being dodgy to get people to burn FM/$ on a single character purchase before offering the pass (or not at all). The end result feels like the latter to me.

I guess it's due to the armour change of being able to kill if you don't have the health to absorb it, with V-Reversal's gray life effect using a similar internal logic.

So why even bother trying to attack if you're trying to make a pixel comeback if the one with the lead can just turtle and v-skill for the win? Seems poorly thought out?

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So characters with a movement V-Reversal like Claw remain fucked. Thanks Capcom!

I'm a bit annoyed, because I thought Urien and Kolin were fine and I was worried they might get tweaked in bad ways... but it seems they didn't get anything, not even a tiny change to the V-Trigger they don't use to make the choice meaningful. So on one hand my babies are safe, on the other I have nothing to look forward to with them, it's just the same old bag of tricks when everyone else is playing with their shiny new toys...
Maybe I'll finally get serious with Cody. He seems to have received a good amount of buffs.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Did they nerf the white life v-reversals do the same way they nerfed the damage armored moves take?

If so, this might be intentional...

EDIT: Nevermind, we got an explanation for it:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I would have been fine waiting if they launched with more transparency. Maybe they weren't ready. Maybe they were but are purposely being dodgy to get people to burn FM/$ on a single character purchase before offering the pass (or not at all). The end result feels like the latter to me.
Yeah, biggest disappointment for me right now is the lack of information. Only thing we know is there will be more details at a later point. When exactly that is, no idea. What (and who) to expect: no clue either.

I want developers to be upfront about this stuff. Don't give me that marketing talk by telling me to stay tuned and how grateful Capcom is for our continued support.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, man, Chun's Souseikyaku is gonna get nerfed into the ground next balance patch. What were they thinking giving it so much damage? Lots of fun juggle combos you can pull off, including a 500 damage jump-in combo from midscreen, lol. It also looks like you can cancel into it a bit earlier than other air attacks, so it might be good for changing trajectory. But I dunno if it's really the change Chun needed. It helps with damage and combos, but she's still gonna have a hard time getting in on certain characters.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get it. Armored moves are now worse against v-reversal than non-armored moves? Don't v-reversals only do gray damage, or do they have some tiny amount of chip or something?

Alex has a few buffs, for example his V-skills, on hit went from 2f to 5f, you can use his V-skill after Ex-elbow, ex-Chop, and ex-stomp, if you land a combo and end it with ex-flash chop, just cancel into v-skill and will have enough time for him to say i am all warmed up with no punish from the player, the increase plus on hit means i can link Ex-knee even off a jab, also means I can now jab link into his CA...
Yeah don't get me wrong, I think that Alex comes out much better in this patch.

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I still don't get it. Armored moves are now worse against v-reversal than non-armored moves? Don't v-reversals only do gray damage, or do they have some tiny amount of chip or something?
Moves with Armor

1 If your character's vitality is reduced to zero, they will be KO'd even if
they have white gauge remaining.
2 Stun values for opponent attacks that are absorbed by the armor state
have been reduced from 100% to 50%.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Moves with Armor

1 If your character's vitality is reduced to zero, they will be KO'd even if
they have white gauge remaining.
2 Stun values for opponent attacks that are absorbed by the armor state
have been reduced from 100% to 50%.
How is this specific to armored moves though? V reversals do gray damage regardless.

edit: derp I'm an idiot, I get it now. I was thinking the recoverable health nerf was universal. Thanks. Still this seems really dumb. Moves shouldn't kill armored attacks that wouldn't kill non-armored versions IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.