• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
After watching MK11 reveal, do we know what Street Fighter is suppose to be?

It's a fighting game but each iteration changes it's gameplay which always upsets someone.

It took 9 games for Mortal Kombat to find it's identity.

It wasn't until Tekken 5 where they finally polished up the gameplay.

They've added new mechanics in newer iteration but gameplay is mostly the same.

You look at SF4 and it had everything to please someone minus Hakan. Characters from SF1, Alpha, SF2 and SF3 as well as introducing new characters. They've added FADC and Ultras but nothing to drastic like in Alpha 3 with infinite juggles.

Then you look at SFV. They've added the CC and VT system. Footsies has devolved from fireballs spacing to Low Forward to finally just pressing a heavy button with Crush Counter Properties. Characters like Kolin has an amazing St.HP while other characters don't have a button that can be canceled and CC, some have invincible reversals while others are stuck blocking, some have good AA that puts them in a 50/50 while others are stuck relying using a AA special that knocks down and some characters only have 4f buttons and are stuck blocking or teching 4f gap frame traps. Then you have Birdie's EX Bullhead situation where some characters can punish it while others are stuck blocking the -5 on block move that becomes a frame trap.

This game is a mess with it's mechanics.
Nice job ignoring like half of this thread that hated SFIV and loves SFV.
I'm under the impression that SCV still has that title (two different versions of Pyrrha and Patroklos, more than one mimic character, a story mode that was only 25% done because Bamco rushed them, etc.).
SCV was more rushed than cheap. The earthquake struck halfway through development and radically interrupted workflow, but Bamco refused to allow more time to compensate.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

It's a fighting game but each iteration changes it's gameplay which always upsets someone.

It took 9 games for Mortal Kombat to find it's identity.

It wasn't until Tekken 5 where they finally polished up the gameplay.

They've added new mechanics in newer iteration but gameplay is mostly the same.

You look at SF4 and it had everything to please someone minus Hakan. Characters from SF1, Alpha, SF2 and SF3 as well as introducing new characters. They've added FADC and Ultras but nothing to drastic like in Alpha 3 with infinite juggles.

Then you look at SFV. They've added the CC and VT system. Footsies has devolved from fireballs spacing to Low Forward to finally just pressing a heavy button with Crush Counter Properties. Characters like Kolin has an amazing St.HP while other characters don't have a button that can be canceled and CC, some have invincible reversals while others are stuck blocking, some have good AA that puts them in a 50/50 while others are stuck relying using a AA special that knocks down and some characters only have 4f buttons and are stuck blocking or teching 4f gap frame traps. Then you have Birdie's EX Bullhead situation where some characters can punish it while others are stuck blocking the -5 on block move that becomes a frame trap.

This game is a mess with it's mechanics.

I think Street Fighter has been pretty mechanically consistent for the last 20 years, actually. Compare the final versions of SFIII, SFIV, and SFV and you got remarkably similar games. All of the abrupt shifts ended in the 90s.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
If it's like Injustice 2, gtfo, 1 year in and I still haven't got the Batman's MK1 set's legs. I hate that RNG lootbox shit.
I have an achievement only 0.30% players on Steam got because I was lucky enough to get a super rare Catwoman move from those lootboxes...

Yeah it's awful. I'm too embarrassed to say how many hours I logged into Injustice 2. Mostly daily CPU grinding via streaming to PC while I did other stuff, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

But it's an absolutely absurd amount of hours, way more than the vast majority of players I'm sure, and I still don't have all the full epic gear sets.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Street Fighter has been pretty mechanically consistent for the last 20 years, actually. Compare the final versions of SFIII, SFIV, and SFV and you got remarkably similar games. All of the abrupt shifts ended in the 90s.
Yeah, I was actually gonna say earlier that if you ignore SFA, there's actually a clear gradual evolution from SF all the way to SFV, with clearer definition and polish as time went on.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
First Jin Saotome costume Extra Battle is up.

Street Fighter keeps its style and popularity even if each main subseries has its own personality in terms of gameplay mechanics.

Even if had its issues with little content or server issues at launch or recent crap like ads or FM cuts, SFV is the most popular fighting game of this generation (or 2018 if you prefer) if we look at places we can measure like Twitch viewship across the year, Steam concurrent players, number of tournaments and number of people participating on them. Even if the game sold less copies than the competition and was released several years ago.

Same happened with SFIV last gen, it was the most popular game of the genre that generation.

As most games it's very likely that MKII will have a sales peak (MK 11 will sell more than SFV) and interest in Twitch or Steam concurrent players for a while and then almost everybody will leave the game after a few months so SFV will continue being the king in all fronts.

Last edited:

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I just hope Capcom does that type of revel for SF6. Make it special. Make it an event. Hopefully it is not until PS5.

I hate the gear system from IJ2. Customization pieces like Boon showed during the MK11 revel would be cool. Don't make me hold down dumb buttons. Let me take off Alex's jacket off and on in the menu, choose the color or texture type, change his boot style, but a shirt on, collar or no collar.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Been playing this game for three years, but every now and then I'm still marveled at how wonderful some of the key poses in SFV are.

MQaJZ6i.png

lmDD1vv.png

TsGRgo8.png

hOkpXPt.png

GFNLV4z.png

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just hope Capcom does that type of revel for SF6. Make it special. Make it an event. Hopefully it is not until PS5.
Yes, the annoucement event was great. It would be cool to get some event for SFVI like this one. Capcom will continue supporting SFV for at least a couple of years more, and since next gen consoles are very likely to be released late next year make sure SFVI will be released for PS5 and after its release. I would surprise me to see SFVI before 2022.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Even MK11 looks really odd at times; there are animations that play out super quickly probabaly because NRS is trying to get them to fit within a small amount of frames. The recovery animations are an example of that. NRS still has a lot to learn from Capcom's work key poses and fewer transition frames in animation.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

Watching Maximilian's recap last night, it's clear there were plusses and minuses with this type of reveal, as opposed to showcasing it at E3.

The plus was that the event felt like a celebration of MK and the community.

But the minus was that only having a single day was not enough time to get a good feel of the game, leaving superfans like them less than enthused about the gameplay.

I was at E3 2015, which is when SFV was first playable to the public. I spent the entire time at the SFV booth. Though Street Fighter V wasn't the focus on the floor, the entire FGC was there for days. People had time to get a good feel for the game. The reactions were mixed, as we all remember, but people knew what to expect by the end of the show.

(On a personal level, the experienced turned me from a spectator of SF to somebody who plays pretty much daily)

ColonialHawk

Oct 27, 2017
South Carolina
I hope its just a reveal (characters, systems, etc.) and then straight to player matches (pro and casuals) with some interviews on the floor. MK11 event was ok but theres too much fluff for my tastes

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Watching Maximilian's recap last night, it's clear there were plusses and minuses with this type of reveal, as opposed to showcasing it at E3.

But the minus was that only having a single day was not enough time to get a good feel of the game, leaving superfans like them less than enthused about the gameplay.

I was at E3 2015, which is when SFV was first playable to the public. I spent the entire time at the SFV booth. Though Street Fighter V wasn't the focus on the floor, the entire FGC was there for days. People had time to get a good feel for the game. The reactions were mixed, as we all remember, but people knew what to expect by the end of the show.

(On a personal level, the experienced turned me from a spectator of SF to somebody who plays pretty much daily)
Well, I think there is something else that could be even better: to release a demo after the announcement event so players worldwide can play the game. But if it would be the case this reveal+demo would need to be done just a few months before release (as MK did).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I think there is something else that could be even better: to release a demo after the announcement event so players worldwide can play the game. But if it would be the case this reveal+demo would need to be done just a few months before release (as MK did).

I'm down for that. MK is releasing a beta a month before release. SFV had several (buggy ass) betas before release too. But a surprise demo on announcement would be crazy.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The Ed vs Guile matchup continues to be totally fucked up. Fuck this.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
The thing that I really enjoyed and at the same time actually got me into the fgc were the SFV pre launch event. The madcatz pre launch event where they had in january 2016 with team mike ross vs team floe was the first fgc event I ever watched. After that event I was pretty much hooked to competitive SFV. Would love to see stuff like that for the launch of SF6

rude

Oct 25, 2017

So
- Birdie Akuma Ibuki Rashid Dictator
- Gief Cammy Guile
- Zeku Karin Urien Necalli Abi Menat Kolin Mika Ken Boxer
- Sagat Juri Sakura Falke Dhalsim Chun FANG Blanka G Nash
- Ryu Alex Claw Ed Laura Cody

They need to move Karin up (maybe G too) and it's basically perfect.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

So
- Birdie Akuma Ibuki Rashid Dictator
- Gief Cammy Guile
- Zeku Karin Urien Necalli Abi Menat Kolin Mika Ken Boxer
- Sagat Juri Sakura Falke Dhalsim Chun FANG Blanka G Nash
- Ryu Alex Claw Ed Laura Cody

They need to move Karin up (maybe G too) and it's basically perfect.

If Laura is bottom tier, and she might be, this game is remarkably well balanced.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Abigail should be on the same tier as Laura. They basically operate the same, with the same flaws.
If Laura is bottom tier, and she might be, this game is remarkably well balanced.
SFV's always been one of the more balanced FGs out there since S2 or S2.5, I'd say.

Now, it feels like any character could take a tournament except for maybe Ed and Vega. I'm not convinced Cody should be that low.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
The difference between NA and Japan is wild no one in NA consider Gief top10 since he has a lot of hard mu yet japan always rate him so high. This was the same thing in season 2 and they were pretty right that time. Cody definitely need to be higher he is really good

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The difference between NA and Japan is wild no one in NA consider Gief top10 since he has a lot of hard mu yet japan always rate him so high. This was the same thing in season 2 and they were pretty right that time. Cody definitely need to be higher he is really good
Really, it depends entirely on the player makeup. If you have someone like Itazan messing people up, their perception's gonna be influenced. Same reason why NA was going off about Laura in S2 while "Laura is C tier" became a meme.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Abigail should be on the same tier as Laura. They basically operate the same, with the same flaws.

SFV's always been one of the more balanced FGs out there since S2 or S2.5, I'd say.

Now, it feels like any character could take a tournament except for maybe Ed and Vega. I'm not convinced Cody should be that low.
edit: original response was to a post responding to an edited one lol

Abigail's risk reward is way scarier than Laura's, he can still just murder you with a confirm into a mixup, where Laura needs more than one.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

They didn't even rank Cody last time since they didn't have enough data to accurately place him yet, so the fact that they're putting him so low just tells me there aren't many good Cody players in Japan.

G should definitely be higher as well; he feels way stronger than most of the characters a tier above him, let alone in his own tier.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Oh right, so their bottom is basically Ed, Ryu, Alex and Vega now. I've always hated Ryu. But I suppose a lot of that is a personal thing. Still, in a game tending more towards neutral than before, his lack of gimmicks isn't that much of a sticking point. I think he can do a lot of damage.
Abigail's risk reward is way scarier than Laura's, he can still just murder you with a confirm into a mixup, where Laura needs more than one.
Meh, I don't really believe that anymore. Abigail basically has the same amount of health Laura has, and he has the same amount of stun. His command grabs are pitiful now, and they don't give him as much pressure as Laura gets off of a successful one (unless he's doing it in the corner).

There is his EX command grab which still hurts and gives awesome oki, I'll agree on that one. But when it comes to basic pressure, he has the same problem with lacking confirm options that Laura has. But Laura has way more mixup potential and continuous pressure.

Laura's damage output (unless they're stunned) doesn't touch Abigail's, but she makes up for it with mobility and mixups. Laura has excellent AA options, Abigail's suck. Laura has a better time navigating the neutral, Abigail doesn't now with his increased dependence on slow ass normals.

Abigail gets mauled like no other character, and he's also the only character in the game who doesn't have a 2-bar V-Trigger to make up for it. So either continue to get mauled for the chance of using VT, or use V-Reversal and lose that opportunity.

They are rather different, but I absolutely see them basically on the same level now. They've continuously hit Abigail again and again, and it's taken its toll. Birdie is better Abigail.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I really hate Akuma. And Bison. Already regretted bothering with ranked again.

Also, finally fought someone else who uses Ibuki after never seeing another online. Was quite good and played a full set with me in casuals.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Mika and Urien (he's basically the new Blanka) and Birdie are the only characters that still send me into a fit of throwing my stick across the room rage

Akuma is literally every other match in ranked so that should be everyone's most thought out match up. Not that that really mitigates his strengths.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Oh yeah, just watched some more gameplay and yup, animations are still pretty dumb. Geras has a really silly looking sweep, and I definitely saw a locked-elbow windmill swing. Just about checked out when I saw the latter.

Also yeah, their refusal to properly animate moves so that they do something so simple as FACE YOU TOWARD THE SCREEN is baffling.
I honestly think MK11 looks pretty disappointing from a gameplay perspective.
Those special gore cinematics have to much screentime and happen to frequently, to the point where it breaks the flow of the fight and once you have seen them all it can start to get annoying when you must watch them every round.
Footsie metagame looks very undynamic and overall it looks slow and lacks kinetic energy i expect from a fighting game (maybe animations play a big role too).

I could go on, but at the end it's only my take from watching gameplay and i could of course be totally wrong.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Mika and Urien (he's basically the new Blanka) and Birdie are the only characters that still send me into a fit of throwing my stick across the room rage

Akuma is literally every other match in ranked so that should be everyone's most thought out match up. Not that that really mitigates his strengths.
Have only seen one or two Mikas, rarely see Urien but he is annoying, Birdie's by all means a scourge even with him also being a rare sight for me. The less I say about Blanka, the better.

The ubiquity of Akuma and Ken players makes reviewing them mandatory (the speedy aggressiveness of the latter and them counting on other people pressing buttons seeming to be the order of the day for them), though even Ryu was quite common before being buffed for S4. Being familiar with his strengths doesn't make Akuma any less irritating to fight though, no.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I got invited to a battle lounge earlier by a player who I beat in ranked, but couldn't accept seeing as I had already switched to casuals and was in the middle of another match by then. Considering that I won against said ranked player and ended up ranking him down and blocking his chance to rank back up after beating him twice, along with the fact that he kept spamming said invites while he waited, in hindsight it was probably better that we didn't cross paths again (I rather doubt that it would've been cordial).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

If one of these cabinets ever hit Cali (I can dream!), I'm there everyday. Even if it's in wack ass Orange County. I'm really loving the arcade UI. If the game is really winding down, I'm glad it's getting this as a swan song.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
So one of my New Years resolutions was reach Gold-level with Kolin. When I hit Super Silver, I played lots of casual matches to get a feel for the upper level players and got a 70% win rate (100 games). I just recently hit Ultra Silver and am getting bodied, with my casual win rate plummeted to 50% (over 100 games).

I'm honestly afraid to try Ranked matches -- I'm legit shook.

I wouldn't worry, casual is full of Smurfs and people who've retired from ranked.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Is Birdie really that good? I don't know anything about him, what did he get that made him top 3? Also, I feel Guile is high on their list. He feels nuked to me, not an "A" character but more mid-tier.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Is Birdie really that good? I don't know anything about him, what did he get that made him top 3? Also, I feel Guile is high on their list. He feels nuked to me, not an "A" character but more mid-tier.
Birdie has always been great, and now he's better in some ways. st.MP xx MP hanging chain is a good new, meterless ender that does more damage than what he could do before when he needs it.

Birdie's a character, like Necalli, who can build V-Gauge with ease, and now he has an awesome 2-bar V-Trigger. Great normals, great AAs, great damage, lethal 50/50s, can pressure, etc. Weaknesses are defense and circumventing fire balls, but he's not alone when it comes to that.

And Guile is fine and still near the top. People yelling about how he got messed up were too used to literally every single thing about him being crazy good. It didn't make sense, and the only thing of note that got touched was his light booms not being slow as molasses anymore. He's still got ridiculous movement for the kind of character he is, the best AAs, booms are still plus and good, etc.

He didn't get hit nearly as much as S2 Ibuki did to S3, and after a period of people freaking out and saying she was done, she ended up still being considered top tier.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I wouldn't worry, casual is full of Smurfs and people who've retired from ranked.

Parts of me want to believe! But I also realize that there is so much I still have to learn, despite playing 2K online matches (mainly using Cammy and Kolin).

Chris T is doing a series on fundamentals, like "Defense: When to Interrupt Pressure"

Then Alex Myers even has a video on "Walking and Blocking"

Where was all this when SF5 launched?! J/K -- I'm glad there's quality education content coming out. Hopefully this is available soon after SF6 launches.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
It takes a lot of time for people to figure out the "correct" responses to certain situations in any fighting game, as the meta evolves and things are continuously figured out. That goes for pro players, as well.

Sure, 100% agree with you. But fundamentals (for example) like taking decreasing the intervals between walking and blocking as you get closer to your opponent is so obvious and yet somehow it took at 15 minute video for me to actually comprehend what that means.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm struggling with Alex's 7th trial (vol 1). I completed all his other ones and I do that combo but here Ryu always blocks the light Flash Chop even if I perform It as fast as I can just after the stand LP.

I saw people in other forums struggling here too. The demo doesn't help yo help. Is there any trick like buffering or stuff like that? Any suggestion?

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

Those are good points. I was at that E3 as well.

I am thinking back at the SF4 console launch marketing . Capcom did all those "underground" events. I went to the LA one in downtown off the 10 somewhere. It was fun, played all night and free cheap pizza.

Maybe if capcom did something like this. Have the event, have some after party event at some warehouse with hella consoles so people can play it all night and stream it. Or drop a demo after the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.