• We have completed a significant site update. Come see what's new!
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition |OT2| Street Fighter Has Come Home

kikiribu

Oct 25, 2017
Andy Wong always looked dead on those Unity streams. I’ve never seen a streamer with such low energy. Him and that other dude... haunts? The perfect duo if you ever had trouble sleeping. Watch one of their Unity streams and you’ll sleep like a baby.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
I think Kage is so lame, but mixups from both of his VTs are hype. Only reason why I'd want to play him is to do VT1 stuff, and it's the reason I'd want to see Kage players in tournament.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I got to play a Kage player at Genesis, of all places. I used Gief and forced him to rely on footsies and ended up going even with him in wins. Sometimes I would see his face in my periph and he looked miserable lol

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
Zangief is straight fucked up this season, and is the #1 character I hope they nerf next to Akuma.The layers and option selects that the character has that all lead into the most terrifying vortex in the game is too much. He's the most powerful grappler this season.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
Complaining about Gief in SFV is like complaining about Gen in USFIV. People see two buffs and freak out until they realize the character is still just as hard to play as ever.
I don't have experience with USFIV, but I do have a lot of experience fighting Gief in SFV S4. And no matter how hard he is to play, the character can still do too much under the right hands. Menat was one of the least played characters for a reason last season, but she still got nerfed for a reason. How difficult it is to play a character is only tangential to their core potential.

We're gonna see some shit from Itazan and the like this CPT season unless 4.5 addresses it.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
Complaining about Gief in SFV is like complaining about Gen in USFIV. People see two buffs and freak out until they realize the character is still just as hard to play as ever.
For real. Kage still handed me my own asshole in plenty of those games, and I had to outplay the other guy for each win I clawed for.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
You can outplay the character for 95% of the round. Then literally a single mistake can mean you're dead right there. There is nothing scarier in this game.

Hell, it doesn't even have to be a mistake. The fact that his V-Trigger activation can be plus at the right range even if you're just blocking will lead into the vortex, which can lead into immediate death.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Gen has two fighting stance with low damage output.

Zangief takes advantage of SFV's lack of wake up option and the ability to crush counter

kikiribu

Oct 25, 2017
Came here to post a pic of Thong Ryu. You can almost see his nutsack in idle pose. 10/10 troll costume, would use again.

cyba89

Oct 25, 2017
And with Thong Ryu costume completed I burned through my remaining fight money stash.
I probably have to skip the Guts Man costume unless I take the time to level up a few characters in survival.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
And with Thong Ryu costume completed I burned through my remaining fight money stash.
I probably have to skip the Guts Man costume unless I take the time to level up a few characters in survival.
Have you done all the trials yet? The S4 trials are the only reason I've been staying afloat, FM-wise.

Iggy

Oct 27, 2017
Just in case someone missed the related thread in the news section, Capcom updated their Platinum page. As of December 31, SFV shipped 2.9M units (up from 2.2M that it had a quarter before):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/capcom-combined-street-fighter-v-version-sales-sfv-ae-shipped-700k.98405/

SFV is now 18th best selling game in Capcom's history.
That's quite the jump! I would never have expected that.
I know most people will consider it a bad performance, but selling this amount of copies so late in the game's life with such a, let's say, _polarized_ reception online, that's quite a feat.
Not mentioning that selling the game is only one part of the equation. The amount of season pass and costumes probably made them tons of money on top of the sales.
And half of the potential market for the game is missing, which means the SF brand is still plenty relevant.
I hope the fighting game division will be able to prove their worth to upper management.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope that Capcom saved all the good stuff for an Evo Japan reveal. The radio silence about any upcoming content for SFV is ridiculous at this point.

JusDoIt

Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Just in case someone missed the related thread in the news section, Capcom updated their Platinum page. As of December 31, SFV shipped 2.9M units (up from 2.2M that it had a quarter before):
https://www.resetera.com/threads/capcom-combined-street-fighter-v-version-sales-sfv-ae-shipped-700k.98405/

SFV is now 18th best selling game in Capcom's history.
That’s solid performance. Smash blows it out of the water, of course. DBFZ too. Those games are sensations for different reasons.

But I’d love to see the PS4+PC numbers for Tekken 7 and the last two NRS games. I imagine SFV is in the ballpark, even if it still lags behind. 3 million is a hit for all but the highest budget games.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
So over on the Gaming side there is a thread where people are feeding video game character portraits to an Nvidia deep-learning AI program that reconstructs facial features with CGI.

Someone fed the machine Ken's character select portrait. Not even HAL 9000 can fix Ken's face:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/post-an-image-of-a-video-game-character-and-get-an-ai-generated-alternative-deep-learning-nvidia-inpainting.98368/#post-17685958

SSPssp

Oct 25, 2017
So over on the Gaming side there is a thread where people are feeding video game character portraits to an Nvidia deep-learning AI program that reconstructs facial features with CGI.

Someone fed the machine Ken's character select portrait. Not even HAL 9000 can fix Ken's face:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/post-an-image-of-a-video-game-character-and-get-an-ai-generated-alternative-deep-learning-nvidia-inpainting.98368/#post-17685958
Beautiful! I hope someone mods this in!

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Browsing through that thread some more... I think Nvidia put Lucebuce out of a job

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said before, I wouldn't necessarily expect anything from Evo Japan. In fact, I think expecting some reveal here is giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't want to make a bigger deal for the S4 launch 2 months ago because they were holding back for this smaller event. Not sure that's how it'd be.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
what the hell is going on with this game
Sold below expectations, has stagnated in many ways, they've shot themselves in the foot in as many ways, and we're basically in the ultimate year of support based on what they had outlined prior to the game's launch. Budget would have been reduced accordingly. Things are dying down. Unfortunately, possibly not with a bang, but with a whimper. A lot of it is plainly reflected (notable reduction in DLC, FM system weirdness, lack of "big" elements in S4, etc.).

Internally, many of the folk behind the scenes have likely moved on to an upcoming project which will usurp SFV in the future. For now, we're going to get some more stuff, but support is definitely progressively being reduced.

The hope is that they take the lessons they learned from SFV to heart, and that the new leadership for the FG division can make a big, positive splash when it comes time for it.

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
I love SFV, but i hope Capcom is preparing SF6 for next gen to deliver a top notch fighting game from day one.
I don't see any other possibilities for Capcom other then dedicate their full ressources of the fighting game division on this legendary franchise to get where it belongs: on top.

New Capcom will do this. Just make an all around great game, there is no other solution.

JusDoIt

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have faith in SFVI's longevity if SFV gets abandoned before it hits the 3 year mark. I hope they're working on the next game too, but they can't leave SFV up in the air like this and expect everybody to be all in on the next game.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have faith in SFVI's longevity if SFV gets abandoned before it hits the 3 year mark. I hope they're working on the next game too, but they can't leave SFV up in the air like this and expect everybody to be all in on the next game.
They're definitely not abandoning the game. We already have confirmation that there are more characters after Kage coming out, for example, and they're still doing extra battle stuff. There's likely gonna be a new balance patch sooner than later, and we're gonna still get new costumes and maybe a stage here and there.

It's just that, support is obviously dwindling. And it's natural; this isn't Fortnite or some hugely successful game which can be supported in perpetuity. It's gonna make it to 2020, but that's where I think things might hit an actual wall. 4 years is a good run for a fighting game that had a spectacular mess of a start like SFV.

FluxWaveZ

Oct 25, 2017
The small hope that I have that I know will be left unfulfilled because this is Street Fighter V, is that all of this season's new characters will drop at once alongside the arcade version of the game, and that's why they've been weird about season passes and stuff. Sagat + G could have been an indication of this. But it's not gonna happen.

JusDoIt

Oct 25, 2017
The small hope that I have that I know will be left unfulfilled because this is Street Fighter V, is that all of this season's new characters will drop at once alongside the arcade version of the game, and that's why they've been weird about season passes and stuff. Sagat + G could have been an indication of this. But it's not gonna happen.
That would be incredible and make up for all of this silence. It would be right around the start of the CPT season too. If the last major update we got for this game was that, I'd be more than happy.

Too good to be true tho.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
If you like the game, you keep playing, like any other fighting game, past and present.

I will keep playing SFV if there are no more characters because I like the game. Just like old Capcom games that lost support that I liked.

Then 6 will kill 5, NRS styles, hehe.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is honestly no different than the people wanting to believe the bogus rumors that Capcom was gonna release two free characters or some shit.