• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would expect any Final Round reveals to not go live on PSN until the Monday or Tuesday after Toushinsai in order to encourage people to go visit local arcades to check it out launch weekend.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And I think your called shot may turn out to be right. 3-4 chacters now, 1-2 at EVO. Would totally explain the lack of a season pass.
I think the reason of no season pass is just to earn more money by selling the characters separatedly.

After that, I think the second option may be that they may plan to make the SFV vanilla F2P (or to release a new SKU with even less characters), so they may want as many DLC items purchasable with real money as possible. That also would explain FM cuts and ads, that even if aren't related to a possible future F2P version they are there to generate them additional revenue.

I think it makes more sense for them to spread announcements and releases in order to spread the noise they generate in the interwebs across the year, bringing back the players to the game every few months to generate more dlc sales spikes and keeping the players playing for longer. I think the spike generated with the announcement and release of 3-4 characters at the same time would be higher than the one of a single character and would be great to pump the arcade release and new CPT season, but I also think this combined announcement peak would be smaller than splitting it into 3-4 announcement/releases/spikes.

In addition to this, I think that to add 3-4 characters just when CPT starts may worry many pro players specially if some of them end being too powerful. But I wouldn't reject the idea at all because in the past they released some updates like SSFIV when they added 10 characters at the same time or SSFII with 4 characters at the same time so maybe this season they want to try with something like that.

In any case, my bet is that they release CPT dlc on Final Round (some costume and the option to buy it with more items being added later as in previous years) and announce there a single new character (who knows, maybe C.Viper, Sodom or Knack) and if we're lucky maybe also some new feature/content that will debut with SFVTA but will be available too in SFVAE. This new character and extra new feature/content would be released in SFVAE the Tuesday after Toushinsai as you mentioned.

I'd say that when they said that this time they were doing things differently, they only meant that wouldn't release a season pass to earn more revenue and that they were going to release the arcade version in March, so from Kage's release until the arcade release their resources were going to be busy making the port so additional characters wouldn't be released during that period. So I think there will be 6 characters this season but outside Kage all the others would be released later than usual due to the delay that caused the arcade port.

Last edited:

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I really don't see a balance issue if they release 4 characters at once. I don't even see the logic of it. In my opinion, the sooner they release them, the more time players got to prepare themselves and voice their concerns over eventual problems.

Oct 25, 2017

Me irl:

FatalRealisticBengaltiger-size_restricted.gif

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, for a second there I thought Capcom unceremoniously dropped the next season 4 character. Costume looks great, I like how Capcom is digging into some of their forgotten IPs for costume ideas.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like we could reasonably expect the big arcade compatibility PSN/Steam patch right before Final Round and some related reveal(s) there, with an in-game update with a new character shortly after?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So it looks like we could reasonably expect the big arcade compatibility PSN/Steam patch right before Final Round and some related reveal(s) there, with an in-game update with a new character shortly after?
If they're announcing the Leo skin now that compatibility patch is probably hitting very soon, possibly next week, so that they can test the Arcade stuff on live while holding the content updates for the Type Arcade launch.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Leo looks awesome, nice to see they included this costume.
The first piece of this new costume is released March 15th, which means they'll need to update the game before this day to include it because it isn't in the current public client. I assume they can use this update to add the arcade compatibility but they can also do it later if they decide to.

Final Round is March 15th-17th so probably the update released before the 15th may also include hidden/disabled the additional stuff to be revealed at Final Round as can be a new character and/or the CPT DLC bundle, stuff that they can enable/patch at the end of Final Round.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this is going to set off the start of Red Earth costumes. The witch and the ninja who was in Fighting Jam fit Menat and Zeku perfectly.

Also I've been playing a lot of Zeku in casuals lately. It's a testament to his power that he's so strong despite not being what I'd call a vtrigger robbery character. Also the first time I've had to plink since SF4.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I wonder if this is going to set off the start of Red Earth costumes. The witch and the ninja who was in Fighting Jam fit Menat and Zeku perfectly.

Also I've been playing a lot of Zeku in casuals lately. It's a testament to his power that he's so strong despite not being what I'd call a vtrigger robbery character. Also the first time I've had to plink since SF4.

I hope it does. And I also hope some mech suits based on cyberbots designs are created.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looking at the list of cosplays that game had... Imagine a cross-over fighter with all these guys (plus Tiffany and Hinata since they're in a background).
You could call it "Vampire vs Capcom".
Cody would look glorious in a magenta attorney costume.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
The FGC just now discovering Laura's crouch animation cycle explains how so few people realize she's the actual best.

Looking at the list of cosplays that game had... Imagine a cross-over fighter with all these guys (plus Tiffany and Hinata since they're in a background).
You could call it "Vampire vs Capcom".
Cody would look glorious in a magenta attorney costume.

Street Fighter vs. Darkstalkers is such a missed opportunity. It's two of the 3 most influential fighting series (1. Street Fighter, 2. Virtua Fighter, 3. Darkstalkers), there's no licensing issues for Capcom to worry about, and it's a safe way to reintroduce a cult franchise. Plus, they already got a Udon comicbook series about the crossover.

Last edited:

Sigma

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks this game is near its end and there are only 2 characters I like... One is utter trash and the other I don't like how they play this time around :<

Still hoping for Makoto or T.Hawk but most likely gotta wait till SF6 for that.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Normals canceling into normals
Dashing on ground and airdashing
EX moves
Push block
Air block
Flight states
Multiple bars of super instead of just 1
Different rolls after knockdown

Uh...how is this not the most influential fighting game after Street Fighter? ASW and the rest of the anime genre wouldn't even exist without Darkstalkers.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Every single versus and anime game bites off Darkstalkers. Not sure how you argue its influence. We get no Mahvel and no Guilty Gear and no DBFZ without Vampire.
Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter are obviously the big two, and the other Japanese fighting games sort of branch out from there. I view Darkstalkers as an evolution of Street Fighter and reflective of a broader Capcom design ethos. Darkstalkers and X-Men: Children of the Atom were developed concurrently, after all.

ASW and the rest of the anime genre wouldn't even exist without Darkstalkers.
Guilty Gear was literally created because Daisuke Ishiwatari "really liked Street Fighter and wanted to make a game like that."

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter and Virtua Fighter are obviously the big two, and the other Japanese fighting games sort of branch out from there. I view Darkstalkers as an evolution of Street Fighter and reflective of a broader Capcom design ethos. Darkstalkers and X-Men: Children of the Atom were developed concurrently, after all.

Vampire definitely is an evolution of Street Fighter design, but it's an evolution that in turn influenced Alpha and SFIII (and thus SFIV and SFV). And point taken about DS and COTA being developed alongside each other, but DS gets the nod for coming out first.

What would you put in that 3rd spot if not Darkstalkers? MK definitely influenced the culture of the genre (and gaming in general), but I think Darkstalkers has more children mechanically. That's like the only series I can imagine putting before it.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
What would you put in that 3rd spot if not Darkstalkers? MK definitely influenced the culture of the genre (and gaming in general), but I think Darkstalkers has more children mechanically. That's like the only series I can imagine putting before it.
There's such a huge chasm after SF and VF that it doesn't feel right to pretend like there's a "big three," but I would probably say Mortal Kombat. The three competitive fighting games that most singularly resulted in dozens of knockoffs seemingly overnight are Street Fighter II, Virtua Fighter, and Mortal Kombat.

I don't look at Guilty Gear or any other anime fighter and think "this wouldn't have existed if not for Darkstalkers" -- the Japanese fighting game zeitgeist of the early '90s was organically trending in that direction. Darkstalkers was lucky in that Capcom slotted its release ahead of Children of the Atom, but it's hard for me to divorce those two games from each other (and from Street Fighter Alpha, which was in the early stages of development at the time) to the extent that I would call either one of them singularly influential.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I don't look at Guilty Gear or any other anime fighter and think "this wouldn't have existed if not for Darkstalkers" -- the Japanese fighting game zeitgeist of the early '90s was organically trending in that direction. Darkstalkers was lucky in that Capcom slotted its release ahead of Children of the Atom, but it's hard for me to divorce those two games from each other (and from Street Fighter Alpha, which was in the early stages of development at the time) to the extent that I would call either one of them singularly influential.
Give it a tied win with children of the atom then, it doesn't change that basically every game after took buckets of stuff from it.

And sure MK was influential in dozens of shitty ripoffs in the 90s but I don't see any MK influence anywhere today.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, obviously each series has its own style and the genre evolved over time, but specifically about Guilty Gear even regarding animation it has some stuff from Darkstalkers like the morphing characters.
I think MK added its own personality but didn't influence the other games: stuff like gore, fatalities or live actors were only used in a few games, didn't have a big influence in the genre.

I think stuff like EX moves, multiple super combo levels, chain combos, dash, air block and so on from Darkstalkers had a bigger impact even if the game itself wasn't that popular.

Last edited:

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
VS is the precursor to GG to me in just movement alone. Several characters, to me, have similar counterparts (Morrigan/Ino, Qbee/Zappa, Potemkin/Victor, probably others, but that's just off the top of my head).

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think stuff like EX moves, multiple super combo levels, chain combos, dash, air block and so on from Darkstalkers had a bigger impact even if the game itself wasn't that popular.

I agree completely. Darkstalkers the series is niche, but I don't know how you look at the current landscape of Japanese 2D fighting games and not see Darkstalkers in every single one.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or are there a million Sakura players now compared to a month or two ago? She and Sagat seem like the most popular S3 characters in ranked.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
I think MK added its own personality but didn't influence the other games: stuff like gore, fatalities or live actors were only used in a few games, didn't have a big influence in the genre.

MK did influence a lot of games at the time, it's just that the only one that's worth mentioning now is KI, and there's not much MK influence left in it now.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't necessarily think the anime genre would not exist without Street Fighter. I think it would just look massively different. Japan will still be producing anime fighters anyways.

Doesn't really matter what came first. What matters is who took the idea and made it into something big. Guilty Gear is still big while Capcom killed off Darkstalkers a long time ago.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree completely. Darkstalkers the series is niche, but I don't know how you look at the current landscape of Japanese 2D fighting games and not see Darkstalkers in every single one.
It's a matter of seeing what you're looking for while disregarding the things that don't fit your world view.
The conversation is not going anywhere if we keep pretending the Neo Geo doesn't exist. Vampire 's main success is its incredibly realized visuals, which pushed the technical limits of the CPS1 and allowed for more crazy non human movement. Everything else was part of the zeitgeist at the time (in Japan). Even one off adaptations of popular anime of the year were trying experimental stuff. But even without going into that niche, the discussion is running circles without SNK's tremendous output. Or the fact that all these games were developed at the same time by people who jumped companies every other year and took their baggage with them.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Guilty Gear is only really big in the FGC, it's the opposite of NRS games lol. I'd say sadly, but I'd take this kind of popularity over the opposite any day for a game I love to play. A DS game will surely sell more than GG, but it can't do better than GG in the FGC based on IP recognition and Capcom marketing, it will have to actually be really good.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. These companies change hands a lot. The very first Street Fighter had the director and planner from SNK working on it and after playing it recently I am shocked by how similar it is to Street Fighter 2.

I doubt it's as big as you think it is. If a Darkstalkers was released today it would sell more than any Guilty Gear due to having more iconic characters in the genre.
Iconic seems like a very subjective term. To me Guilty Gear is much more iconic and I don't recognize any Darkstalkers characters except Morrigan and Felicia.

After Capcom's recent blunders I'm not sure Capcom are competent enough to get any fighting game to sell well.

Guilty Gear is only really big in the FGC, it's the opposite of NRS games lol. I'd say sadly, but I'd take this kind of popularity over the opposite any day for a game I love to play. A DS game will surely sell more than GG, but it can't do better than GG in the FGC based on IP recognition and Capcom marketing, it will have to actually be really good.

I'm not sure where you got the notion that NRS games are not respected in the FGC but here are some numbers since I love fact checking:

https://smashboards.com/threads/evo-historical-entry-counts.408575/

Last edited:

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
After Capcom's recent blunders I'm not sure Capcom are competent enough to get any fighting game to sell well.
and why is that?

I'm not sure where you got the notion that NRS games are not respected in the FGC but here are some numbers since I love fact checking:

https://smashboards.com/threads/evo-historical-entry-counts.408575/

hm, these aren't strong NRS numbers

2015 was the release year from MKX, do you have the numbers from the following evo tournaments?

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I mean, that's ironic, given Guily Gear Xrd is only popular in the FGC and SFV (and possibly MvCI) has sold far better. Also, Darkstalkers characters are still recognised to this day, moreso than GG characters at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.