• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think Kage already took the role of random shoto with short range/weak hadoken and wierd tatsu. I know you're joking, but I'm pretty sure they won't add Dan in SFV at least as a normal, playable in all modes character.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I like masked Zangief, but I vowed to never spend FM on Fighting Chance ever again, so I'll have to get lucky with free pulls. The odds are against me, but I did end up getting Vega's SF2 costume so there is a (fighting) chance.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I like masked Zangief, but I vowed to never spend FM on Fighting Chance ever again, so I'll have to get lucky with free pulls. The odds are against me, but I did end up getting Vega's SF2 costume so there is a (fighting) chance.

Yeah, masked Zangief is pretty underwhelming in terms of possible costume variations, so I'm content with just the free pulls.
I'm finding it easier to skip costumes at this point in the game's life anyway.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I would've been more likely to prioritize an Extra Battle MML Roll Sakura outfit, but FM remains far too precious now anyway and I'm more likely to buy this than her remaining real money outfits that I don't have (the karate gi battle outfit is only a maybe, not really interested in Alpha Sakura when I like her new default much better).

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
SFV v4.20 update planned for 27/02/19 (I assume it's the Feb 26th one that is going to add the costumes) seems that it's going to update the DirectX USB controller configuration and may need to require configuration changes for someon:
https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/132707

I don't speak Japanese so not sure what it does really say.

I also just saw they also created a new QA build for their servers named "test420" so I assume it's this version. It's pretty weird because compared to previous similar builds they specified certain new things they don't normally do, like language and subtitle support, app categories, dev/publisher/franchise info and more:
https://steamdb.info/app/310950/history/

Smells like a juicy update. Details about this build: https://steamdb.info/app/310950/depots/?branch=test420

Last edited:

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Any word on what the easter eggs will be for those costumes? I'd be down for Ryu's Mega Man alt without the blaster, it just looks off.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Any word on what the easter eggs will be for those costumes? I'd be down for Ryu's Mega Man alt without the blaster, it just looks off.
No, they didn't reveal anything and still didn't update the game client to add them hidden so at least I can't view them datamining.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
It really hammers home how poverty the FGC is when Epic is putting down $100,000,000 as Fornite prize pool money.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This probably deserve its own thread as it's most probably tied to why he's not the head of division 2 anymore.

Not related.

Consumer Games Development Division 2 and 3 were merged almost a year ago (April 1st), at the same time Tsujimoto was promoted to Managing Corporate Officer. As Managing Corporate Officer, Ryozo Tsujimoto has a higher rank than Ono (Corporate Officer) so he became Head of the new Consumer Games Development Division 2 (that now also includes the former Division 3). So Ono continues in his same team, which now is bigger and has someone else with a higher rank.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e180330.html

Ono still has his Corporate Officer rank at Capcom, and continues being General Manager of Management Department 2 and Street Fighter Business Department (this also includes SF related eSports, merchandising, etc). He also is still Executive Producer of the fighting games like SFV, Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection or Capcom Beat 'em Up Collection, etc:

As you can see here back in 2017,before the Divisions 2 and 3 were merged, and Tsujimoto's promotion Ono's rank was Corporate Officer and his title was General Manager of Department 2, same as now but mentioning "Consumer Games Development Division 3" instead including his current "SF Business Department" title.

Regarding Capcom's R&D divisions, they aren't completely separated teams. Each division is in charge of some IPs but they help each other sharing personal as needed. Here (scrolling to the bottom of each page) we can see how many people from these games also worked in other games, frequently from other divisions:
https://www.mobygames.com/game/street-fighter-v
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/street-fighter-30th-anniversary-collection/credits
https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/capcom-beat-em-up-bundle/credits
https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/marvel-vs-capcom-infinite/credits
https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation-4/monster-hunter-world/credits

TLDR:
Ono wasn't demoted, and wasn't moved away from SF or the SF division. Ono keeps his rank, his many roles and continue working in the same team and with the SF/fighting games, same as before but he's also in charge of SF business like eSports. His division was formally merged with other one, that already did work with them frequently, but the boss of the other division has a higher rank so he's now the head of the division. He's mr Monster Hunter guy, son of the CEO. He's with Ono now in a bigger division, which probably means that fighting games may get more budget and easier greenlights than before.

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
It really hammers home how poverty the FGC is when Epic is putting down $100,000,000 as Fornite prize pool money.

Well, they are running a free to play game on multiple platforms, with responsive devs taking care of technical issues in relatively short time

I've never bought the theory that fighting games have a complexity barrier of entry; DOTA2 is fucking impenetrable to me, and when you launch it you are greeted with a fuckton of heroes and _banned_ heroes, so even just choosing who to play makes MvC2 seem quaint

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Well, they are running a free to play game on multiple platforms, with responsive devs taking care of technical issues in relatively short time

I've never bought the theory that fighting games have a complexity barrier of entry; DOTA2 is fucking impenetrable to me, and when you launch it you are greeted with a fuckton of heroes and _banned_ heroes, so even just choosing who to play makes MvC2 seem quaint
The problem is the execution barrier. I don't feel like looking for it but there's a thread on here where I had to explain in detail how to do QCF using the simplest language possible and with video examples. People here still didn't get it. I imagine it's exactly like that in real life for a lot of people. Now try mixing in learning how to input motions with combo memorization and matchup knowledge. And uh...actually learning when to block and attack and move with split second decision making. And also be ok with losing often.

I think this genre asks a lot of the average gamer.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
The problem is the execution barrier. I don't feel like looking for it but there's a thread on here where I had to explain in detail how to do QCF using the simplest language possible and with video examples. People here still didn't get it. I imagine it's exactly like that in real life for a lot of people. Now try mixing in learning how to input motions with combo memorization and matchup knowledge. And uh...actually learning when to block and attack and move with split second decision making. And also be ok with losing often.

still easier than simultaneously building and moving while being shot at in fortnite

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

True, but I think the genre, or SF specifically, can improve a lot in terms of tutorials. I remember GG Xrd had very long and detailed tutorials, step by step explaining all the basics with a relaxed learning curve.

I think SFV can learn from this, since it only has a very basic tutorial and demonstrations and then jumps to Trials that most of them are too dificult and non practical for rookies. I think SFV needs something in between explaining the basics and some easy practical combos and strategies. I would add a "Volume 0" Trials set with 20 basic things.

I also remember some awesome video tutorials made by Gootecks explaining many concepts for rookies very well, like to block, using crouch mp to get an optimal attack range+recovery explaining these concepts, then zoning with a projectile and using + button anti air on top of that and then an easy target combo to punish whiff (explaining these concepts) with decent damage.

I think with little effort the game can explain pretty well itself many basic concepts to rookies. Maybe not to the point of frame date, matchups, but enough to feel confortable and to a decent job online against rookies and bronze/super bronze players, and to complete certain trials that require certain extra explanation (like to mention that some specific one requires buffering and to explain what it is. I also think that would help to see the inputs while the CPU shows its demonstration.
still easier than simultaneously building and moving while being shot at in fortnite
True.

But I think Fornite had a perfect storm to be the: they had a very solid engine and game base, copied a trendy genre that was growing a lot but with very little competition when they released it and went F2P so it could compete better, being Epic had a ton of money thanks to the engine to invest in marketing and influencers, then ported it everywhere with very solid ports to showcase their own engines and thanks to their success in PC all the first parties supported it heavily with bundles in all 3 consoles at the same time + digital store featuring in all 3 consoles. They also did right the art style and things like the dances and so on to have an important impact in younger demographics.

I also think that Battle Royale is less frustrating than a fighting game because the matches are longer, which means that the time between every time you are defeated is longer and you get more rewards in the middle (collecting new items, killing some guy) and when you lose you aren't the worst character of the match: you think things like ok, I was 40th out of 100th, I didn't win but isn't that bad. And you can get a decent position just camping a little having bad execution.

Fighting games are more unforgiving: if there is a minimum difference in skill and/or execution in a few seconds the match is done and the better player wins. Which means that most new/unskilled players lose frequently, constantly and without getting a decent reward (well, at least they get some character XP so they may level him up earning 1000FM from time to time, something that would be nice to do it more frequently).

Last edited:

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Updated average daily Twitch viewer graphs via SullyGnome:

Last 90 days
0CaEwU7.png

Last year
YDNNCdH.png

Since launch
WkYETSr.png

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017

I think that QCF is the minimum that can be asked for without fundamentally changing the game

but at the same time, it should the maximum that it asks of the player -maybe with the exception of Zangief and Guile, who'd change too much without having to do a 360 or charging specials-

SFV already has QCF + 2 buttons, and a 3 button "button". Supers should be QCF + 3 buttons. Drop the double move for supers.

I think that stuff like Ed is actually counterproductive. The button presses are more complex and confusing than the QCF. If another even simpler input was necessary, I think that the dash move + button would be good. We'd need a different move for the actual dash, tho, probably just two buttons

but as I said, people will put up with it if the game is free to enter. I mean, I did it in the 90s, and it took me one a coin to not be able to do fireballs for two minutes. But asking $60 upfront to discover you don't know how to play is maybe too much.

Maybe Capcom could discover how to do a QCF-less fighting game. It's probably doable, but the game gets a lot of mileage of having variable strength specials, which sometimes simplified systems will do without

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Zangief.

Excused because "hype," but when other characters get similar elements removed, it's applauded. The argument that SFV's Gief has a hard time so it's justified is a myth.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
yes, Capcom should remove Zangief's *checks notes* opponents not having invincible V-Trigger activations

it's broken

Oct 25, 2017
Zangief.

Excused because "hype," but when other characters get similar elements removed, it's applauded. The argument that SFV's Gief has a hard time so it's justified is a myth.

You're literally complaining because he's doing what grapplers have been doing since 1992. He commit to 4 hard reads, 3 of which are jump-in punishable on whiff.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You're literally complaining because he's doing what grapplers have been doing since 1992. He commit to 4 hard reads, 3 of which are jump-in punishable on whiff.
So then why is it that those aspects for Birdie, R. Mika, and Abigail get nerfed when Capcom progressively wanted to make grapplers and vortexes worse since S1, but now we have Zangief and G? This is Gief's game plan. But being able to cover a backdash with a delayed CG? Being able to cover backdashes and jumps with an air EX SPD? The delayed CG wasn't a hard read for the backdash. If Juri jumped, he would have reacted with an air EX SPD. If she stayed still, she would have gotten hit with the delayed EX SPD. If she backdashed, it's in the video. If she DP'd, she'd be in for a world of hurt. Literally all she can do there is wake up with buttons, and have fun doing that against Gief when he's +3 in your face.

Gief gets too rewarded for all of the different options he can cover.

Gief has some of the best defense in the game. Has some of the best pokes in the game. Has the most lethal vortex next to G in the game. And has some of the most damage output.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I actually think to get people back into fighting games you need to start removing/nerfing some of the more hype elements.

It might not be fun for us going back to the simplicity of no dashes, no tri jumps, and other insane offensive/movement options, but I think that's how you get people to start playing.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Those people would still rather be playing anything other than fighting games and we would be left with even simpler games that are less fun to play.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I actually think to get people back into fighting games you need to start removing/nerfing some of the more hype elements.

It might not be fun for us going back to the simplicity of no dashes, no tri jumps, and other insane offensive/movement options, but I think that's how you get people to start playing.
The way to get people back into fighting games is to do what the existing successful fighting games are doing.

Either pump ungodly amounts of money into it, or add every character from every franchise known to man.

Cause anything else sure as shit isn't working. And I have always detested the notion that simplying a game will magically make people WANT to put in the time required to learn a combo, eat a hot stinking L, still come back, and continue repeating this process until they discover the joys of high(er) level competition.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
Air SPD can be avoided by .... not being in the air

Gief guessed right. Maybe Juri was too predictable, given how Gief could land a Tundra counter which is possibly the worst move in the game

The way to get people back into fighting games is to do what the existing successful fighting games are doing.

Either pump ungodly amounts of money into it, or add every character from every franchise known to man.

Cause anything else sure as shit isn't working. And I have always detested the notion that simplying a game will magically make people WANT to put in the time required to learn a combo, eat a hot stinking L, still come back, and continue repeating this process until they discover the joys of high(er) level competition.

Or they could try something else that's proven to work: just give away the base game

dunno about people not wanting to eat an L. People in fortnite and what not will get owned by snipers millions of kilometers away, and they will keep coming back because, well, there was nothing in their way to play the game anyway

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Air EX SPD can be avoided by .... not being in the air

Gief guessed right. Maybe Juri was too predictable, given how Gief could land a Tundra counter which is possibly the worst move in the game
Air EX SPD catches backdashes.

Like I said in my comment, there was no "guess." Delayed EX SPD beats:
  1. Backdashing
  2. Jumping
  3. Staying still
  4. Reversal DP
  5. Reversal CA
What will "beat" it is:
  1. Delayed backdash
  2. Delayed jump
  3. Wake up button/throw
  4. Delayed DP
  5. Delayed CA
The counter is whatever. But I dare you to fight Mhike and then come away from that thinking Gief's mixup game is binary. It isn't. Every single 50/50 situation he puts you in isn't actually a 50/50. but a situation where Gief is covering multiple options at once and then resets the situation. Basically, you have one out, while he has many ins. No other grappler in the game can do that.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Or they could try something else that's proven to work: just give away the base game

dunno about people not wanting to eat an L. People in fortnite and what not will get owned by snipers millions of kilometers away, and they will keep coming back because, well, there was nothing in their way to play the game anyway
I really would love to hear what the retention rates are for people who downloded the F2P version of DoA5/upcoming F2P version of DoA6 and KI.

ElFly

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC backdashes have always been considered air. AFAIK they changed the other grapplers so only Gief had that gameplay

I will worry about it when Gief wins EVO. He spent like one or two years being absolutely garbage, so now that he has been marginally buffed, people are surprised he is somewhat good

I really would love to hear what the retention rates are for people who downloded the F2P version of DoA5/upcoming F2P version of DoA6 and KI.

You need to keep supporting the game tho. I dunno if the season system works for fighting games. Just giving away a demo with a couple of characters ain't gonna cut it. DOTA2 allows you to play everyone. for free. Dunno if that's the model needed for SF, but certainly just giving away Jago ain't gonna be it

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
You know what, just erase grapplers all together or send then to hell...(being the last person alive in a 3v3 vs game)

Status
Not open for further replies.