• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Virtua Sanus

Nov 24, 2017
Yun, Yang or especially both together is a good way for me to just stop caring about Street Fighter V as a whole and wait for VI.

I cannot see them hinting at characters like that but I have no idea what to expect for the rest of this season at all. Capcom's been weird, man.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not from what I have seen. There are codes for 5 more but I don't know if they will announce 5 or just 1.

I would bet on them announcing only one.
Datamining it I found the codes for all the 5 characters in 3 different places. I assume this means that for this reason they are working on 5 characters more, so back in the past made room to include these characters with some placeholders that I assume are the Season 4 characters.

But there is a 4th place where since Kage(Z32)'s release they only had listed the next one after Kage (Z33), and in the most recent update they added a another one there(Z34). I assume this other list is for characters they have closer for release -maybe just some weeks away- and put it there for final tweaks and tests. I think they'll announce and release a single character at Final Round in addition to maybe some extra feature or content that may be added to PS4+PC versions related to the arcade release. But maybe what they do is to showcase the next one too, that I assume would be released several weeks (a month or two) after Final Round.

All these dates are just personal guesses.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Datamining it I found the codes forall the 5 characters in 3 different places. I assume this means that for this reason they are working on 5 characters more and back in the past made room to include these characters that I assume are the Season 4 ones adding these 5(+Kage) placeholders.

But there is a 4th place where since Kage(Z32)'s release they only had listed the next one after Kage (Z33), and in the most recent update they added a another one there(Z34). I assume this other list is for characters they have closer for release and put it there for final tweaks and tests. I think they'll announce and release a single character at Final Round in addition to some extra feature or content that may be added to PS4+PC versions related to the arcade release. But maybe what they do is to showcase the next one too, that I assume would be released several weeks (a month or two) after Final Round.
Thanks for the info!

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017

I find this quote funny because Capcom have an in house engine that's IMO, better than the NRS one. Like, capcom HAS to be using the RE engine for SF6, right? It's like a no brainer. What reason is there for them not to use it?

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
The rendering pipeline is more oriented for realistic looking games and SF has historically been more stylized? They don't want to throw away all the work they did with their fork of UE4?

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't go with the RE engine for SF6. Games like Guilty Gear Xrd and hell, even The Wind Waker prove that stylization is WAY more important than realism with regards to giving your game its own visual identity and ensuring they age better.

I don't want SF to become just another realistic fighter; so much of what makes Street Fighter Street Fighter comes from its embracing of anime nonsense to make characters more wacky and memorable.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Even as someone who likes it for Resident Evil itself and for the most part with DMC5, I have no interest in seeing SF use the RE engine to give it a realistic look either.

MrCarter

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I find this quote funny because Capcom have an in house engine that's IMO, better than the NRS one. Like, capcom HAS to be using the RE engine for SF6, right? It's like a no brainer. What reason is there for them not to use it?

The reason being SF doesn't have a bland and muted artstyle like the NRS games. Although MK11 has good cinematics the in-game models and animations are better quality in SFV.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope they don't go with the RE engine for SF6. Games like Guilty Gear Xrd and hell, even The Wind Waker prove that stylization is WAY more important than realism with regards to giving your game its own visual identity and ensuring they age better.

I don't want SF to become just another realistic fighter; so much of what makes Street Fighter Street Fighter comes from its embracing of anime nonsense to make characters more wacky and memorable.
It's worth noting that engine doesn't necessarily equate to graphical style. MvC3 ran on RE Engine's predecessor, MT Framework, which was also used for games like Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4.

An SF6 could still use that engine, but have a very stylized appearance.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth noting that engine doesn't necessarily equate to graphical style. MvC3 ran on RE Engine's predecessor, MT Framework, which was also used for games like Resident Evil 5 and Devil May Cry 4.

An SF6 could still use that engine, but have a very stylized appearance.
True as that may be, basically every time I see someone saying that SF6 should run on RE Engine it's in the context of "SF should look more realistic, like Mortal Kombat/Injustice/that initial SFV concept."

I'm very picky about this though bc imo even Tekken strays a bit too far into realism at the expense of spectacle sometimes, so the thought of SF having less-flashy supers or more "down to earth" character designs bc of a more realistic style rubs me the wrong way.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Makes me wonder what kind of budgets does NRS manage.

Then again no amount of money would've made the story modes in either SFV or MvCI not trash.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
NRS story modes are fun, but Capcom trying to copy them was a mistake, is a mistake, and will be a mistake in the future. Let that be NRS' thing. Do something different. Do something that leans into SF's strengths.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The draft proposal for SF5 was realistic.
It was terrible and got trashed.

Hopefully the cycle will repeat safely for 6.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
General movement in NRS games still looks the most unappealing out of any fighting game to me (except for maybe Tekken, where the characters just look like they're constantly girating in place).

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The fear for RE engine for SF seems totally unfounded to me. What about it means they have to use photogrammetry if they use it? Why would it be harder to have a less realistic style? If UE4, and MT could have stylized graphics, why can't RE? Their engine might have better performance. They would be remiss if they haven't looked into the use of it for SF6.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Have you guys not seen DmC V? I'm pretty sure all the demons and hellspawn models are not hyper realistic.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
General movement in NRS games still looks the most unappealing out of any fighting game to me (except for maybe Tekken, where the characters just look like they're constantly girating in place).
Injustice 1 being Makoto: The Game is still crazy to me.
The fear for RE engine for SF seems totally unfounded to me. What about it means they have to use photogrammetry if they use it? Why would it be harder to have a less realistic style? If UE4, and MT could have stylized graphics, why can't RE? Their engine might have better performance. They would be remiss if they haven't looked into the use of it for SF6.
The issue with RE Engine isn't the capabilities, it's the need to outsource modeling.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with RE Engine isn't the capabilities, it's the need to outsource modeling.

Yeah, that possibly and the lack of documentation seems like the biggest issues, but most concerns revolve around artstyle. I wonder how critical the former is though? Can models be imported from other engines?

I wonder for things like stages and costumes how the performance hit on the engine is tested. UE4 probably has easier methods for contractors to test.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure why the reactionary response to NRS' realism always means SF should move to the RE engine.

NRS games are still using Unreal 3. SF is already on Unreal.

(SF should never adopt a realistic style tho, that would be the worst shit to happen since The Movie The Game)

Last edited:
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see the point in wondering about using the RE Engine in a next-gen fighting game. There's nothing it can do that UE4 cannot. Balancing performance will be less of an issue on the PS5...hopefully.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
UE4's big issue was input lag and they're very aware of it right now.
I'd say the forced redownloading of the entire game seemingly every other month is another issue.

Speaking of which, I was trawling through the Steam.db page for SFV, and noticed that generally whenever Capcom forced us to redownload the entire game, it was because the update or cumulative .pak updates up to that point were over 1GB (the only exception being the Ed update, which was around 600 MB). It makes me wonder if there's a maximum size for the in-game .pak downloads, because there was seemingly no reason for us to redownload 19.5 GB last month when an in-game download would've sufficed for just a few costumes and stage. If true, I think that makes a 5-character dump after Final Round less likely, as 5 characters would take up around 2 GB. I guess they could make us redownload everything again, but I just don't think they'd have gigantic 20 GB downloads two months in a row.

NRS story modes are fun, but Capcom trying to copy them was a mistake, is a mistake, and will be a mistake in the future. Let that be NRS' thing. Do something different. Do something that leans into SF's strengths.
I actually liked SFV's story mode for what it was, but I'd give it up in a heartbeat for the return of the single-player mode that SF knocked out of the park: World Tour. It would probably take less resources than a cinematic story but also last longer for single players. The worst part is Survival mode had some elements of World Tour, but ended up being an absolute slog that was devoid of any fun.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, I don't see the point in wondering about using the RE Engine in a next-gen fighting game. There's nothing it can do that UE4 cannot. Balancing performance will be less of an issue on the PS5...hopefully.

I don't know if we can say that. If they can somehow squeeze more performance out of it to make it worth using, they should go for it.
For example, in KI the devs said they had the game engine running over 60fps under the hood to help their rollback netcode run better. Maybe RE engine gives them a little more juice like that.

Regardless, I can't imagine they aren't looking into the pros and cons of the engine choices for the next games and will choose appropriately. They would know better than anyone.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say the forced redownloading of the entire game seemingly every other month is another issue.

Speaking of which, I was trawling through the Steam.db page for SFV, and noticed that generally whenever Capcom forced us to redownload the entire game, it was because the update or cumulative .pak updates up to that point were over 1GB (the only exception being the Ed update, which was around 600 MB). It makes me wonder if there's a maximum size for the in-game .pak downloads, because there was seemingly no reason for us to redownload 19.5 GB last month when an in-game download would've sufficed for just a few costumes and stage. If true, I think that makes a 5-character dump after Final Round less likely, as 5 characters would take up around 2 GB. I guess they could make us redownload everything again, but I just don't think they'd have gigantic 20 GB downloads two months in a row.
This is a UE4 issue that's fixed in current builds as well I believe. It's an issue for them because they don't want to go and re-do all the QA work to upconvert to a newer UE4 base build.

The FR update is almost certainly going to be the major March patch per the bundle wording, not a minor update one.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
This engine talk is wack. Unreal (3 and 4) is being used for most high profile fighting games now, and has proven to be a valid toolset for this genre. The only two caveats was pak files making updates sizes a pain and input latency with UE4, but with newer UE4 builds and internal dev tools, the latter is a solved problem. It'd be wasteful for Dimps to dump all their progress made with UE4 from SFV's development if they jump engines for 6. I can only see this happening if Dimps had a bad experience working in UE4 and now wanted to jump, or Capcom pushing their engine in lite of departing from whatever early partnership they had with Epic.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
This is the thing with Capcom. They have this awesome template with the World Tour mode from the Alpha 3. I wish they would just use that as the base and build up.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The draft proposal for SF5 was realistic.
It was terrible and got trashed.

Hopefully the cycle will repeat safely for 6.
I totally agree

This is the thing with Capcom. They have this awesome template with the World Tour mode from the Alpha 3. I wish they would just use that as the base and build up.
World Tour was awesome, I'd love to see something like that in SFV. I'd also love to see:
  • Time Attack Mode: with FM as reward for achieving certain scores and local, friends, country and global rankings
  • Tournament Mode: both eSports and casual single player friendly: offline, online, with tons of customization options and allowing a big amount of players
  • Story Mode Vol 2: make another story featuring Season 2, 3, 4 characters plus some cameos
  • Story Mode character epilogues: We got character stories that happened before SFV, give us character stories that happens after SFV story
  • Final Battle Mode: fight bosses without needing to pay FM for it (maybe old ones from Extra Battle plus the story mode only characters)
This engine talk is wack. Unreal (3 and 4) is being used for most high profile fighting games now, and has proven to be a valid toolset for this genre. The only two caveats was pak files making updates sizes a pain and input latency with UE4, but with newer UE4 builds and internal dev tools, the latter is a solved problem. It'd be wasteful for Dimps to dump all their progress made with UE4 from SFV's development if they jump engines for 6. I can only see this happening if Dimps had a bad experience working in UE4 and now wanted to jump, or Capcom pushing their engine in lite of departing from whatever early partnership they had with Epic.
True. As gamedev I can say that is way better to stick to UE than to build their own engine or to adapt RE engine. If people asks to use certain engines maybe it's because they think it's tied to the art style. And it isn't the case, today with proper shaders and art assets you can replicate any desired art style in any decent engine. UE has a ton of perks like total compability with any platform, great performance, "open" source, proven and improved after being implemented in thousands of successful games like many of the main recent fighting games, etc.

They already have a lot of work already done by Epic and many other devs there, do redo it from scratch for other engines doesn't make sense. Even if they would want to add some exta tech they can do it on top of UE.

It depends how big the update is, when they only want to add or replace some small amount of content they do small updates. Remember that they are making an arcade port of the game and it will be merged with the PS4 and PC versions, which means there is a shared code between all versions that is being added before the arcade release. In addition to this, they also include code related to upcoming features and content that still isn't enabled.

But from time to time, I assume that due to loading times and to max size it's better to make a brand new full update instead of having a very old full update with a lot of patches on top of it.

UE4's big issue was input lag and they're very aware of it right now.
As I remember they already addressed it a couple of times, and SFV was updated a couple of times to include these input lags patches.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I actually liked SFV's story mode for what it was, but I'd give it up in a heartbeat for the return of the single-player mode that SF knocked out of the park: World Tour. It would probably take less resources than a cinematic story but also last longer for single players. The worst part is Survival mode had some elements of World Tour, but ended up being an absolute slog that was devoid of any fun.

World Tour mode could easily capture that Gear System grind from IJ2. Let people level up their Ryu into some broken version and play it in casuals and other single player modes. People would eat that shit up.

And I don't mind SF having cinematics in the future, but there should never be another single narrative where you jump from character to character like NRS does. Capcom could actually improve on that by merging Character Story, Cinematic Story, and Arcade modes into one. You select a character and get an arcade ladder. The length depends on difficulty. Each will have their own cinematic preludes, interludes, and epilogues. Spice them up with specific bonus stages, dramatic battles, and boss fights. Let the stories overlap and divulge naturally, so you don't have to exclude or include characters for story reasons. Use the World Warrior Tournament as the unifying theme.

Keep it fucking simple and focus on the details and the shit would be a smash.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see everyone getting excited by MK11's trailer, and I just don't see the appeal...
It will be several hours of video that are going to be watched only once, preferably on Youtube. Yes, many people will buy the game, play through it that one time, and then resell it, and WB will receive a sufficient amount of money that way. There are reasons to be excited if you have shares with them.
But as video game enthusiasts? This is no different from Subspace Missionary. By contrast, Smash Bros Ultimate's Spirit mode and SFZero3's World Tour have you play the game (which is what you're supposed to enjoy doing if you buy a game I think?) and cost a fraction of MK11's cinematic budget.

At least SF5 lets you uninstal the cinematic mode once you've gone through it, so you can save space. Whatever the remaining budget of SF5, big or desperately small, I hope they don't waste half of it on a second story mode.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand playing single player content in the first place unless it unlocks something. I don't see the fun in fighting AI.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't understand playing single player content in the first place unless it unlocks something. I don't see the fun in fighting AI.
An insane percentage of the fighting game players disagree with you. Online multiplayer means frustration for most players mostly due to the "low" amount of concurrent online players + matchmaking behavior that would help with that.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
World Tour mode could easily capture that Gear System grind from IJ2. Let people level up their Ryu into some broken version and play it in casuals and other single player modes. People would eat that shit up.
I'd be happy with that.

And I don't mind SF having cinematics in the future, but there should never be another single narrative where you jump from character to character like NRS does. Capcom could actually improve on that by merging Character Story, Cinematic Story, and Arcade modes into one. You select a character and get an arcade ladder. The length depends on difficulty. Each will have their own cinematic preludes, interludes, and epilogues. Spice them up with specific bonus stages, dramatic battles, and boss fights. Let the stories overlap and divulge naturally, so you don't have to exclude or include characters for story reasons. Use the World Warrior Tournament as the unifying theme.

Keep it fucking simple and focus on the details and the shit would be a smash.
i'd buy that "improved arcade mode" too that would merge everything for SFVI too.
But I like having more content and game modes where I can spend more and more hours playing completing it to unlock stuff and to get a longer story so for me the more modes the better, at least for SFV now that they are using the current style.

Regarding the "narrative mode where you control different characters", I know NRS is kwown for them, but didn't Rival School made it before (at least the Japanese version that had that Visual Novel-like mode)? I don't remember RS very well, so proably I'm wrong.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
i'd buy this too. Regarding the "narrative mode where you control different characters", I know NRS is kwonw for them but didn't Rival School made it before (at least the Japanese version that had that Visual Novel-like mode)? I don't remember RS very well, so proably I'm wrong.

Not saying NRS was the first, but they're the ones to make it very popular. And for good reason, It's a clever way to encourage players to sample the entire cast.

It's a terrible way to tell a story, though. (Which is why I can't remember any of the NRS campaigns, even though I enjoyed all of them at launch) Ensemble TV series tell stories this way, to great effect, but they're always anchored by the arc of the main protagonist. Jon Snow in Game of Thrones. Michael in Arrested Development.

There shouldn't be one single protagonist in a fighting game. Each character needs to have their own arc. Smaller, more personal stories are better suited for fighting games than these comicbook crossover event style stories.

SlimX

Nov 11, 2017
I can't wait for hyperrealistic Blanka.
trXH62D.jpg

Village

Oct 25, 2017
The reason being SF doesn't have a bland and muted artstyle like the NRS games. Although MK11 has good cinematics the in-game models and animations are better quality in SFV.
Mk11 looks interesting as shit but whatever you tell yourself

I hate bring up the pushes up glasses " As an artist " card, but the MK artstyle has actually grown into its own and a very unique fucking aesthetic and I feel like there's people out here who are going " Aristic = colorful " and don't appreciate the aesthetic choices they are making and especially the character designs .

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Mk11 looks interesting as shit but whatever you tell yourself

I hate bring up the pushes up glasses " As an artist " card, but the MK artstyle has actually grown into its own and a very unique fucking aesthetic and I feel like there's people out here who are going " Aristic = colorful " and don't appreciate the aesthetic choices they are making and especially the character designs .

I personally really like MK character designs for the most part. Especially 10 and 11.

Pre -10, I disliked all the female ones really, haha.

My beef with MK is I feel the proportions on the characters look weird. I think the legs are too short on most everybody.

Even though it is way better now, mk11 still looks stiff to me when it animates . The follow though feels off.

Status
Not open for further replies.