• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It feels like they're trying to squeeze two seasons out of one season to bide time.

Whatever, but if you're doing a GaaS model, you need a bare minimum level of communication and this isn't it.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom easily has the worst developer communication I've ever seen. If there were more characters coming, I think they would have confirmed this already. That tweet from Ono = yikes. All these pointless "please look forward to what's coming for Street Fighter" tweets can just mean DLC costumes at this point. Do we have any real reason to believe new characters are coming? At this point there's no reason to expect anything else besides the new story stuff Matthew Edwards confirmed. I'm sure it costs them millions to develop one character, they're probably done. I'd like to be wrong but they've been silent for what, 3-4 months now? It's over.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom easily has the worst developer communication I've ever seen. If there were more characters coming, I think they would have confirmed this already. That tweet from Ono = yikes. All these pointless "please look forward to what's coming for Street Fighter" tweets can just mean DLC costumes at this point. Do we have any real reason to believe new characters are coming? At this point there's no reason to expect anything else besides the new story stuff Matthew Edwards confirmed. I'm sure it costs them millions to develop one character, they're probably done. I'd like to be wrong but they've been silent for what, 3-4 months now? It's over.
They already did

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
b15d5909f437d7cb2eb153fedd3990c6.jpg

Let's be real here, you weren't out for a second. This game is all you have. If they don't announce another character soon, and you don't post for a day or so, I'm calling the police and asking them to go check on you.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm good. I like the game and I really enjoy my character(Akuma lol). I also enjoy watching the game competitively so I'm really looking forward to more SFL and CPT. So I'm going to continue playing and watching the game as usual.

Although I do hope Capcom doesn't take too long to show the next character or characters. Just because I'm not panicking doesn't mean I don't recognize that many others are.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In the eight months since G and Sagat have released, we've only gotten one very derivative character. Unless Capcom is holding out on a big Super Street Fighter V reveal, I think it's safe to say that we're nearing the end of significant content updates for SFV. 2019 certainly isn't going to be a typical six fighter season at this rate.

Are people finally beginning to see reality? This game is over.

Because otherwise this line of communication and content release we've been having for 8 months doesn't make a lick of sense for a GaaS title.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I know this is kind of out of nowhere, but I will never understand why, when bringing SF2 to North America, they swapped M. Bison, Balrog and Vega's names around.

If they were worried about "M. Bison" being too close to Mike Tyson, why didn't they just change his name? Or simply delete the M? Why did they have to do musical chairs with with the names, and cause decades of confusion instead?

Oct 25, 2017
SFVI should undo the name garbage with the kings. They go back to their original JP names.

Also just call him Akuma everywhere. Akuma is like his title or nickname while Gouki is his birthname.

Oct 25, 2017
I know this is kind of out of nowhere, but I will never understand why, when bringing SF2 to North America, they swapped M. Bison, Balrog and Vega's names around.

If they were worried about "M. Bison" being too close to Mike Tyson, why didn't they just change his name? Or simply delete the M? Why did they have to do musical chairs with with the names, and cause decades of confusion instead?

Apparently, it was just easier to move the sprites around than to make new ones for any new names.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017

It was a long con to finally get to this moment earlier this year:

Vega is a predominantly Spanish name, though, so I can see why they gave that to Claw. Did the Japanese devs ever say why they named him Balrog in the first place? It seems like such a random Lord of the Rings reference, unless there's some other etymology I'm not aware of.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Vega is a predominantly Spanish name, though, so I can see why they gave that to Claw. Did the Japanese devs ever say why they named him Balrog in the first place? It seems like such a random Lord of the Rings reference, unless there's some other etymology I'm not aware of.
He has a massive dragon/serpent tattoo and he fights with a steel claw, so I sort of understand the intent behind giving him a bestial name like Balrog. He's a repulsive monster in spite of his beautiful appearance.

Boxer was clearly designed with the buffalo theme in mind (his aggressive charging fighting style, his physique, his nickname, and even the fact that he's American), so it's a shame that he lost the Bison name.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
I'm in a pretty good place with SFV. Am I annoyed that no new characters have been announced lately? Definitely. I think the main reason why my vibes are good comes down to me accomplishing my goals. I was able to reach my Rank goal a lot quicker than I expected. Not just that, but I also feel like I've reached a point where I can have competent sets against the really good players without getting flustered. Something I didn't think was possible back in 2017-2018. All I really wanted was to believe I could actually be solid at this game.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
I'm surprised that my rank points has been going up now that I've hit Diamond. Probably because I keep eeking wins against high ranked people, thus getting enough points to make up for my previous 4 losses at once. I'm struggling, yet I'm still earning.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I can't decide who I hate fighting more online, Ken in this or Vegito in DBFZ (no amount of experience makes either less annoying).

Takamura-San

Oct 25, 2017
He has a massive dragon/serpent tattoo and he fights with a steel claw, so I sort of understand the intent behind giving him a bestial name like Balrog. He's a repulsive monster in spite of his beautiful appearance.

Boxer was clearly designed with the buffalo theme in mind (his aggressive charging fighting style, his physique, his nickname, and even the fact that he's American), so it's a shame that he lost the Bison name.

I always thought it was a play on words from Mike Tyson = M. Bison, and the reason they changed it in the US is to avoid getting sued.

Edit: someone already mentioned this. Oh well.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact: the Street Fighter The Movie game maintains the US naming assignments even in the Japanese release.

Also you can play as Kylie Minogue

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, here in Spain Vega is very common as surname (Paz Vega), and is also a not so common female name.

In fact, until in the '90s only 0.06% of the newborn girls had this name. But in the previous and current decade it skyrocketed to almost 3% of the girls, so I assume you can blame SF for it xD

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vega_(nombre)

For us in Spain the Vega name is a good fit. But well, we don't even care if our country is represented in the game by a ninja bullfighter. We see it as campy weird choice, specially because here many don't like bullfighting due to animal torture so it's commonly seen as something from the past that should end, but for us it's perfect to see it in a videogame as iconic as Street Fighter.

P.S.: Even if it's almost impossible to see it during gameplay, examining the game art asset files you can see that in the SFV Mesón de las flores stage there is traditional Spanish food in the table, and even a board with a food list with dishes that may fit a Spanish bar/restaurant/tavern. Even the brand name of the wine bottles makes sense for a Spanish wine brand. They did a great research job.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Why does Capcom put a limit on FM gains from turning ads on. I haven't been eligible for the additional 12FM for the past three days. I thought it reset after awhile.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Why does Capcom put a limit on FM gains from turning ads on. I haven't been eligible for the additional 12FM for the past three days. I thought it reset after awhile.
I maxed out at around 2,500 FM. You won't be able to earn any more through the end of the campaign period, which ends April 1. However, there'll be another 3-week period starting April 23, and I'm assuming the limit will reset then.

For us in Spain the Vega name is a good fit. But well, we don't even care if our country is represented in the game by a ninja bullfighter. We see it as campy weird choice, specially because here many don't like bullfighting due to animal torture so it's commonly seen as something from the past that should end, but for us it's perfect to see it in a videogame as iconic as Street Fighter..
In my headcanon Vega loves animals, but just likes to wear sexy matador outfits because they make him look hot. But yeah, sometimes Capcom go a little too far with the stereotypes. There's a fine line between referencing where a character is from and being borderline racist.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I maxed out at around 2,500 FM. You won't be able to earn any more through the end of the campaign period, which ends April 1. However, there'll be another 3-week period starting April 23, and I'm assuming the limit will reset then.

In my headcanon Vega loves animals, but just likes to wear sexy matador outfits because they make him look hot. But yeah, sometimes Capcom go a little too far with the stereotypes. There's a fine line between referencing where a character is from and being borderline racist.
Ah thanks. This is my first time using them because they aren't garish this time.

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
I'm surprised that my rank points has been going up now that I've hit Diamond. Probably because I keep eeking wins against high ranked people, thus getting enough points to make up for my previous 4 losses at once. I'm struggling, yet I'm still earning.

As long as you're not getting destroyed that badly, you will fail upward. When I hit Diamond back in last year I was barely winning 30% of my matches, yet I still slowly gained points because I got so much from any higher rank and didn't lose that much in return.

Things definitely get harder when you reach Super Diamond which is where I'm at. And if you ever reach Ultra Diamond you really have to prove your worth since you're now in that rank where Diamonds are very scary because you'll go negative despite winning 2-1.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, but I mean that we don't care about the stereotype, it doesn't offend us.

It's ok, since they also represent their own country with guys in karate gi or sumo wrestlers with kabuki paintings. They are just videogame characters from a crazy, chessy animeish world where people throw fireballs and there's an Indian yoga master who stretches his limbs and a feral green guy who turned green in the Amazon and learned electric techniques from electric eels.

This crazy character design helps to make the game more colorful and differentiate the characters differientiating them with a unique personality that often is somewhat inspired by a country. In our case, it's pretty rare to find bullfighters, flamenco dancers and medieval looking taverns but we have them and are typical from here. Helps to differientiate a Spanish character or stage from the other ones, and for us these things aren't insulting. Even for people who doesn't like bullfighting here, because even if it isn't very common nowadays it's something traditional. Even if you're an animalist, Vega is a psycopath, narcisistic bad guy, so it's a good fit.

If they would remove the stereotypes and represent Spain as the most country is today then the character would be very bland because we're mostly just like any other western country. So all the people from the western countries would look very similar. I like the diversity from SF: people from many countries, many different skin and hair colors, fat, slim, tall, short people, many different fight styles and personalities and these stereotypes that help them to be even more unique.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
As long as you're not getting destroyed that badly, you will fail upward. When I hit Diamond back in last year I was barely winning 30% of my matches, yet I still slowly gained points because I got so much from any higher rank and didn't lose that much in return.

Things definitely get harder when you reach Super Diamond which is where I'm at. And if you ever reach Ultra Diamond you really have to prove your worth since you're now in that rank where Diamonds are very scary because you'll go negative despite winning 2-1.
Failing upwards is exactly the way I'd put it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
There's so much fatigue with failing upwards. I was 1k away reaching Ultra Diamond and then Matchmaking decided to throw in the 60%+ laggy players before quitting back in January and falling back to 20k.

I wonder how many people really play on Wifi from what I heard in the MK11 Stress Test thread.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
At least in mobile games these limits were included to make sure you didn't exploit the in-game economy system earning virtually infinite amount of money by letting the game on there playing wihtout being you there, which would hurt the experience to the players who would face your account in matches where the character would continously press LK only.

Even considering that I found a few people doing that in lowest divisions, when no ads were available. They did it because even if you lose your character earns some XP so eventually after a ton of matches you level up and earn 1000FM.

Traditionally these caps are reseted periodically. In some games daily, others weeky, others biweekly and others (like in SFV) by ad campaign. Once this current campaign ends tomorrow I assume it would be reseted, or at the start of the next one.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They're dodging MKX for a Super SFV launch at EVO, most likely. AE was announced about a 100 days before it launched, which would sync with a post-MKX reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.