• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I saw an Ed on stream at some point, at least.

Man this dude needs buffs. :/

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm banned from making threads, but if someone is brave enough to make AKUMA VS. UNDERTAKER match up thread in off topic, they'd be a hero to me.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Not even a teaser for Super SFV at Combo Breaker?
I think that if we're lucky, we'll get the announcement of the S4 plans showcasing the next 5 characters, some upcoming stage or new game mode and a SSFV teaser (to be released at the end of S4) and the release of at least one of these characters.

We're thirsty but, I think for the business standpoint a SSFV release would fit better very late 2019 (end of S4) or early 2020. The most likely is that they may just announce the next S4 character there (the easiest/fastest one to develop, someone like Decapre or Oni) and forget SSFV until Capcom Cup.

He talked about Blanka's pockets so it seems a given that it will be something substantial. Then again, season 4 has been really disappointing so far.
As I remember the previous times he mentioned Blanka's pocket he meant gameplay announcements, at least almost always being a new character. So I bet it will be a new character. Listening Ono mention "Street Fighter Dev team has been making preparation with US and EU offices on excite new things for #SFV" I'm not sure if he's talking about working with them in the marketing of upcoming characters or SSFV, or saying that their dev team is implementing user requested stuff collected by their western offices, or hinting that they will just announce eSport stuff instead of gameplay content.

I can't wait for that one Brook Switch <-> PS4 converter so I can use the Wii U Pro Controller's D-Pad.
Another option is to mod your arcade stick swapping its PCB, to put there a Brook UFB (Universal Fighting Board) PCB. It needs soldering but makes your stick compatible with all current and previous gen consoles plus PC as if it was an Xbox controller and in addition to that you get the best input lag in the controller market.

Last edited:

Charismagik

Oct 27, 2017
This game isn't even playable online anymore. Came back for my yearly revist and it's nothing but rollback every game

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
You don't call your UK community manager into Japan for an in-person meeting for no reason.
Let's hope it's to change their communication strategy and focus more on listening player feedback and implement it when makes sense and it's possible/under budget.

This game isn't even playable online anymore. Came back for my yearly revist and it's nothing but rollback every game
Here online it's fine. But I'm a bronze/superbronze guy (after maybe 500 hours, I suck) from Europe. Maybe you are in a way higher league where there are way less players around you, or you live in a region with a few players.

Or maybe you need to make sure any other device is connected to your wifi/lan, switch to cable if using wifi, get a better isp if don't have a good one and you can afford it, or at least a better router, or configurate it in a more optimal way, etc.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Or maybe you need to make sure any other device is connected to your wifi/lan, switch to cable if using wifi, get a better isp if don't have a good one and you can afford it, or at least a better router, or configurate it in a more optimal way, etc.
I play all the time. I see rollback here and there. And I get laggy games. Not every game though. Not even close.

Should check your router/connection.

I hate these responds because that's not how anything works.Why should your wifi/slow ping traveling from your house to a player who plays wired/low ping traveling to your home affects you?

The netcode doesn't tell the lower ping connection to wait for the high ping connection, you're going to get frame skipping and rollback no matter how good your connection is.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I hate these responds because that's not how anything works.Why should your wifi/slow ping traveling from your house to a player who plays wired/low ping traveling to your home affects you?

In the case of you using wifi, even if your ping is excellent, you're still negatively impacted by higher netowrk jitter that wifi has over wired connections. The variance in ping second-by-second is going to make all your online matches feel slightly worse over wired connections.

The above is your best case example using a perfect wifi connection to a router with no other traffic. If you add distance/interference (like say a microwave) you're going to start having dropped packets with inputs being lost. It might happen so infrequently that you don't even realize it is the network connection, you might chalk up a dropped combo to an execution error. Wifi quality takes a nose dive when other devices begin using the router. If your house has smart-devices or consoles, if one of them starts hitting the router for an update, you're going to feel a blip of bad connection.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017

The netcode doesn't tell the lower ping connection to wait for the high ping connection, you're going to get frame skipping and rollback no matter how good your connection is.

Blanket statements of "its unplayable" are worthless without context. It's just hyperbole.

It's playable. Tons of people play and have good connections and acceptable to great performance.

But as well all know, SFV doesn't have the best netcode or matchmaking in fighting games. So some people are having issues. SFV doesn't handle people on the lower end well it seems.

Now we need to find context to find the root cause.

1 person having issues and another who doesn't means there is something different in configuration and connections or something.

The person who is having issues is not discounted. But we need context of their environment.

If somebody said our app is not working, we research the user and their setup and investigate. Especially if most users are not having the issue.

Don't get me wrong, Capcom needs to get to NRS' level.

But blanket statements of unplayable. Naw.

It might be unplayable for some, and I think that is true.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm still in awe that NRS netcode went from being so bad it was a meme to among the best in the genre. I give them a lot of shit, but when NRS cares enough to improve a major component of their game, they definitely commit to it.

Their netcode is damn good. Also their loading times.

Once I boot up MK11, I'm at the main menu quickly.

SFV takes forever in comparison, all this logging into the server stuff.

They just need to fix their replay system. It's sucks. Capcom has them beat in that regard. And I don't think they have it (somebody correct me if they do) but a system where you can be searching for online matches while in any mode (especially practice mode) like Capcom does.

And hopefully their real ranked system is good when it goes live as well.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I'm still in awe that NRS netcode went from being so bad it was a meme to among the best in the genre. I give them a lot of shit, but when NRS cares enough to improve a major component of their game, they definitely commit to it.

NRS pretty much improved on everything that people called them out on.

Faces = improved to the point of best in genre
Online = improved to the point of being able to be counted along side the best in genre
Animation = not perfect, but vastly improved to no longer being a joke

Really the only flaws I find with the game are the way they handled variations and the grindy as hell progression.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
NRS pretty much improved on everything that people called them out on.

Faces = improved to the point of best in genre
Online = improved to the point of being able to be counted along side the best in genre
Animation = not perfect, but vastly improved to no longer being a joke

Really the only flaws I find with the game are the way they handled variations and the grindy as hell progression.

This is all true. I still don't like how NRS games feel, but I love that they DO take criticisms to heart.

The animations are still far from perfect, but they are still FAR better than they were. Sure, a couple of them are still awkward, but most are perfectly fine.

They also dramatically toned down the blatantly misogynistic female character designs (the distance between MK9 and MK11 is staggering).

Despite the grindy progression, I still see the strides they made as fairly remarkable.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's too late on Capcom to improve on SFV the way that NRS has improved their games over time due to the complaints, but they have a real chance with SFVI. A big priority should be the online component, but because it's a Japanese company, I feel like they won't ever care enough.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I swear if MK 11 just got rid of stupid shit like empty jump forward/jump back teleports, it would be one of the all time great fighters.

The huge whiff punish windows, trip guard windows, ducking highs/throws leading into big damage, and just the overall "if I know he's going to do this, I KNOW my punish will work" makes MK 11 so fun to me.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
What a deep pull.

With Zeku, Falke, Sakura, and Sagat out of the way, there are still three datamined costumes remaining for Menat, Laura, and Chun-Li, though it's possible Chun's costume is the new shoe collaboration.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I swear if MK 11 just got rid of stupid shit like empty jump forward/jump back teleports, it would be one of the all time great fighters.

The huge whiff punish windows, trip guard windows, ducking highs/throws leading into big damage, and just the overall "if I know he's going to do this, I KNOW my punish will work" makes MK 11 so fun to me.

That wouldn't be enough to fix it for me. I still feel like the hitboxes and recovery frames are often a little "funky" (like, the frames align very poorly with the animations, giving combat an awkward feeling). I also think the emphasis on the dial-a-combo system feels real, real bad. Like, it creates a feeling of distance between my actions and the control of my character. Beyond that, the block button just feels unintuitive to me and I have always hated it.

However, I get that a lot of these elements are pretty subjective. I think the "ideal" Mortal Kombat game would always feel a little awkward.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Their netcode is damn good. Also their loading times.

Once I boot up MK11, I'm at the main menu quickly.

SFV takes forever in comparison, all this logging into the server stuff.

They just need to fix their replay system. It's sucks. Capcom has them beat in that regard. And I don't think they have it (somebody correct me if they do) but a system where you can be searching for online matches while in any mode (especially practice mode) like Capcom does.

And hopefully their real ranked system is good when it goes live as well.
Part of the reason why MK netcode is so good is that they got the cannon Bros' to work on their netcode for Injustice 2 and I'm sure they relied heavily on that system for MK11. Capcom will never do this, they have an idea of how the system works so they're going to keep trying their own version of it as long as it works for Japan region.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Update 4.050 is up. It's an in-game download, about 86 MB. Looks like they only added the Sakura and Sagat outfits, plus a Pink Arcade Cabinet item for the Dojo and Helion's Theme BGM from Cyberbots.

Birdie, Dhalsim, Zangief, and Zeku also have changes to their movesets/frame data. Probably bug fixes again?

Shade costume code:
Jt0tUUw.jpg

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
That wouldn't be enough to fix it for me. I still feel like the hitboxes and recovery frames are often a little "funky" (like, the frames align very poorly with the animations, giving combat an awkward feeling). I also think the emphasis on the dial-a-combo system feels real, real bad. Like, it creates a feeling of distance between my actions and the control of my character. Beyond that, the block button just feels unintuitive to me and I have always hated it.

However, I get that a lot of these elements are pretty subjective. I think the "ideal" Mortal Kombat game would always feel a little awkward.
I love the new MK's mechanics on the whole. The only thing I really cant get over is the feeling of punishing attacks with a normal. It feels incredibly clunky to do so. Feels like I'm stuck in blockstun for more frames than I should be. I wanna punish with 1,2 but the blockstun is so long that I end up only getting 2. Shit like that is infuriating. Could be related to what you said about the frames not aligning with the animations. Crazy thing is, I never felt this way about MKX. Other than that the game feels great to play.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Seeing SFV on PS5 with those next to no load times would be something else. Though I suppose the startup would still be slow since it's logging into SFV servers.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Seeing SFV on PS5 with those next to no load times would be something else. Though I suppose the startup would still be slow since it's logging into SFV servers.

You would still be limited by people still loading the game on PS4 so unless capcom gives PS5 owners an option to filter PS4 players out of the matchmaking search it wouldn't do much for online play but it would be amazing for local play.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
You would still be limited by people still loading the game on PS4 so unless capcom gives PS5 owners an option to filter PS4 players out of the matchmaking search it wouldn't do much for online play but it would be amazing for local play.

With SFV already allowing filtering between PS4/PC opponents, I don't see why Capcom also wouldn't allow filtering for just PS5 players.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
With SFV already allowing filtering between PS4/PC opponents, I don't see why Capcom also wouldn't allow filtering for just PS5 players.

They actually have to put the hooks into SFV to recognize that a user is using a PS5. They didn't even bother to do that with PS4 pro users. To this day, SFV doesn't take advantage of anything the PS4 pro can do outside of Sony giving us the option to force it at the hardware level with boost mode and downsampling. If I take my copy of SFV and put it in a PS5, then as far as SFV is concerned im still on a PS4, just a PS4 that loads really fast.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
They actually have to put the hooks into SFV to recognize that a user is using a PS5. They didn't even bother to do that with PS4 pro users. To this day, SFV doesn't take advantage of anything the PS4 pro can do outside of Sony giving us the option to force it at the hardware level with boost mode and downsampling. If I take my copy of SFV and put it in a PS5, then as far as SFV is concerned im still on a PS4, just a PS4 that loads really fast.

I didn't realize that SFV was PS4 Pro enhanced.

Well, maybe they'll actually make the effort with a "SFV Complete Edition" that launches along with the PS5. Get some good will and address a community criticism up front? .... Well, one can always dream!

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Blanket statements of "its unplayable" are worthless without context. It's just hyperbole.

It's playable. Tons of people play and have good connections and acceptable to great performance.

But as well all know, SFV doesn't have the best netcode or matchmaking in fighting games. So some people are having issues. SFV doesn't handle people on the lower end well it seems.

Now we need to find context to find the root cause.

1 person having issues and another who doesn't means there is something different in configuration and connections or something.

The person who is having issues is not discounted. But we need context of their environment.

If somebody said our app is not working, we research the user and their setup and investigate. Especially if most users are not having the issue.

Don't get me wrong, Capcom needs to get to NRS' level.

But blanket statements of unplayable. Naw.

It might be unplayable for some, and I think that is true.
NRS' GDC video explains everything.

Having a PC that's runs asolid 60fps makes it worse. SFxT apprently has the same issue while the console version fairs better

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

These are 2 separate issues: one is the law of physics: distance between 2 points need a time to send packages, so there is a lag that the player or the netcode can't solve. But on top of that there is the player and netcode issues.

Regarding the players, to use wired connection instead of wifi, a good ISP with decent ping and speed (example: I had 20MB ADSL and now I have 500MB fiber) and a properly configured router to make sure you get the best speed and ping possible reducing your lag to the minimum. It's a separate issue not related to the online, but you can also improve your experience by using a tv and controller with very low input lag (using Brook UFB in your controller as I know gives you the best one in the market).

What the netcode can do is first when doing the matchmaking to select players who have the lowest possible ping. But it doesn't depend only on the game. It depends of the available characters (well, the ones with more or less similar rank), so sometimes even if it chooses the best available rival the conditions may be very bad. If you are very strict with this when programming the matchmaking, then you'll get too long matchmaking waiting times, which players hate. If you are too relaxed with that and aim to get the shortest waiting time possible then you may be matching people with horrible ping or too different rank. You have to find a balance between these, and maybe if possible to give options to players to choose their favorite one.

Netcode also can be more or less optimized. A more optimized code needs to send less data, so with the same speed and ping sends faster the needed info so the experience is better. And after that, by adding all the lag from the things mentioned before, the netcode also does some tricks to "hide" a bit the lag, by using frameskipping, prediction and rollbacks, etc.

But since the netcode is the same in all matches but the perfomance/experience change a lot from a player to another or from a match to another (from the same player), then the issue is not the netcode: maybe it's the matchmaking (some include it in netcode, others don't) or in the player's side. Or maybe another option would be to make the game free and push the marketing to make sure the userbase grows a lot so everyone finds always someone of their rank close to home, with a good ping.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I just was thinking, what if Capcom cheaps out and does an OMEGA mode on the cheap and they just take out v trigger. And then the community is like "yooo, this shit is actually the better version!" and only plays that version.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth

That's the advantage I'm looking for. Would help with my FGC events which are just side by side locals.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The server has been spazzing out for the last 2 hours of play. Keep getting disconnected and the server can't upload any account details wtf.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
PS4Pro enchaced version or PS5 version basically would just reduce the loading times and maybe would make the game look prettier, but gameplay is very likely to be limited to 60fps as in base PS4 and LAN would still be basically the same.

So in terms of online play, base PS4 and improved versions for PS4 Pro and PS5 would have basically the same performance. It wouldn't give any advantage to PS5/Pro users in terms of online play. In PC is different because of how the OS handles memory and performance, background tasks, performance can also be affected by variable hardware or drivers, etc. The game may have better or worse performance than in console, where everyone has the same hardware and drivers.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My issue is that whenever I get back to the game to find an opponent on Ranked, it takes me 5-10 minutes to find a player every time now. It's gotten pretty bad, and it's likely not to improve before August.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I can't believe Rashid and Bison have been allowed to stay this strong. FUCK this fucking scrub ass game.

Get in, press buttons, do whatever...it's plus on block. and gives crush counter. i have a two bar v trigger to make unsafe shit safe and give FUCKING MIX UP on block.

TIME TO GUESS

shit game through and through.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I manage Rashid well enough I suppose, but the amount of things Bison can do that are safe always makes fighting him a chore. My least favorite character to run into at this point, and there are no shortage of them online.

Status
Not open for further replies.