• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
At this point I'm expecting way more than one character, tbh. Eight months of radio silence with nary even a balance patch in sight has got to have a rewarding payoff, or else it's curtains for SFV as far as I'm concerned.

I still love the game, but without a reason to keep coming back, the community's gonna shrivel and die like a grape left in the sun.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
5 Characters
Story Mode 2
V-Skill 2
Balance patch to make Kage and Falke Top 5

No netcode changes

Y'all heard it here first.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
At this point I'm expecting way more than one character, tbh. Eight months of radio silence with nary even a balance patch in sight has got to have a rewarding payoff, or else it's curtains for SFV as far as I'm concerned.

I still love the game, but without a reason to keep coming back, the community's gonna shrivel and die like a grape left in the sun.

But why would they do that? They've released 3 seasons of characters at regular intervals throughout the year. Why would they suddenly wait 8 or more months and then release more?

I feel like they're just done with the game and maybe we will get one character as a swan song. I'm just curious why people think there's more life in the game? Have they indicated that?

rude

Oct 25, 2017
But why would they do that? They've released 3 seasons of characters at regular intervals throughout the year. Why would they suddenly wait 8 or more months and then release more?

I feel like they're just done with the game and maybe we will get one character as a swan song. I'm just curious why people think there's more life in the game? Have they indicated that?
Because there's more than just characters coming and the content they're releasing wasn't complete in December (I.E. "V-Skill Select" is in the game's data verbatim).

They already said there were 2019 characters coming on Twitter when Kage came out and there's an interview on the SFV website with someone credited as being behind S4's animations.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017

Because they've indicated over and over that they "hear the fanbase" and generally seem to have an understanding of what people are expecting? Plus the original promise of support through 2020 from which they've shown no intention of deviating.

Ono explicitly said that the team knows people want "more characters (plural)," so if nothing comes of that even despite all the silence it'll be kinda infuriating imo.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Not too sure why I wasn't using VT1 more than VT2 until now with Sakura (inb4 potential "why were you even using Sakura anyway?" jabs). Lower damage potential than VT2, but much safer (on block and on whiff, much less consequence than with VT2 locking away regular Shunpukyaku and Shouoken until it ends) with overall greater applicability.

To prevent this from derailing the current discussion, I'm keeping my expectations very low for Evo announcements. Like, lower than Sakura's number of major tourney appearances.

BurnKnuckle21

Nov 17, 2017
Fair enough. I haven't kept up in a while and just wanted to know what the basis was for people getting their hopes up. Thanks for the info.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'd never do that. Like Sakura, I don't have any decent jabs
tenor.gif

On a less depressing note, I'd been having a decent night and decided to try my luck at ranked again. I'm now slightly less scrubby and managed to finally reach Gold. Of course, I use Ibuki and no one else in ranked, but it's finally mine and it feels good.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Because there's more than just characters coming and the content they're releasing wasn't complete in December (I.E. "V-Skill Select" is in the game's data verbatim).

They already said there were 2019 characters coming on Twitter when Kage came out and there's an interview on the SFV website with someone credited as being behind S4's animations.

With next gen coming, NOTHING is set in stone. Maybe they did have more shit planned to finish out SFV. And maybe they scraped it and decided to lean more into the future and they'll leave us with one more character. Stop talking like everything is guaranteed because of some place holder code. Just because we want it, and capcom is "due" to release more shit, does not mean we are getting it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
With next gen coming, NOTHING is set in stone. Maybe they did have more shit planned to finish out SFV. And maybe they scraped it and decided to lean more into the future and they'll leave us with one more character. Stop talking like everything is guaranteed because of some place holder code. Just because we want it, and capcom is "due" to release more shit, does not mean we are getting it.
Someone's aggressive for no reason. I don't see a reason not to believe the SF twitter saying more characters are coming. V-Skill 2s might come. They might not. I think they will.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My naivety is telling me they wouldnt just postpone all communication for a character or two, it has to be something major like a new version with some reworks like second V-Skills and overall overhaul of systems, but realistically its probably going to just be few more characters and balance changes, plus MAYBE a Story Mode 2.0 and thats it. Capcom is unpredictable which is both good and bad (mostly bad).

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Ono mentions August with like every tweet. It can't just be a character or two at this point.

If it is then the man is certifiably insane. The way they are teasing this leads me to believe that it has to be a pretty huge announcement. I am expecting multiple characters, a balance adjustment, a substantial adjustment (or addition) to the core mechanics of the game (almost certainly more V-Skills), and maybe an additional mode. It is going to have to be huge to justify nearly a year of silence.

Last edited:

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
At this point, it's gonna have to be something massive and something more than just a few characters. You can't say we're doing things differently for S4 and then not have a damn thing to show for eight straight months and then being silent about it for the longest. Ono is sounding confident on what they're producing for evo, so lets hope it delivers. I can't imagine the reaction if they manage to fuck this up too after so many months.

I'm just hoping this is the last big content release for SFV, I want them pouring future resources into SF6

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
If it is then the man is certifiably insane. The way they are teasing this leads me to believe that it has to be a pretty huge announcement. I am expecting multiple characters, a balance adjustment, a substantial adjustment (or addition) to the core mechanics of the game (almost certainly more V-Skills), and maybe an additional mode. It is going to have to be huge to justify nearly a year of silence.

Yep. If it were characters only it would be disappointing and having us wait roughly 9 months would be pointless in my view. They could have been dropping characters like regular and everyone would still be happy coming off the height and hype of S3's handling.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I think that no matter what the announcement will be, no matter how megaton (hopefully), I will still wonder why they didn't say something, anything, about it sooner. The "we're looking forward to sharing more with you soon!" line from last December (!) still frustrates me.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Y'all need to buy Samurai Shodown while you wait for August. Game is great.
I would if the game was also on PC...

I really don't see the game getting any substantial changes in August (balance or new V-skills) in the middle of the Capcom Cup. So at best, it's going to be a trailer like we had for AE showcasing some of the new things, with a release date in November. Maybe a couple of characters dropped in August so they'd still be valid in November ? But I don't expect anything massive until after the final of the Capcom Cup.

Also, Ono was the guy who hyped the shit out of Decapre, and then thought the backlash was because people hated the character herself. Everything is possible. Including Decapre.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm saying I don't even see the server no more.
That's strange. It's called "ded server for ded gaem" now. Maybe you somehow got removed from it in the fallout or something. In short, it imploded and there's another one. Someone else should be able to send you an invite to the new one.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I'll admit.

Disliking SNK's designs and liking Capcpom's is a take I've never witnessed before.

I'm glad I got the chance to see it though.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't disagree... SamSho is generally better than KoF in that regard at least.

Last Blade and Garou have mostly great designs.
Yeah. That last 2% I saved is because Last Blade 2 is one of my favorite games ever. I obviously like the all the iterations of Terry Bogard and Geese too.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I wouldn't be surprised if the August announcement is like 1 character and patch immediately and a trailer for another character or two plus the new vskills coming later in the year. Then 1 - 3 of those skills will be broken and lead to infinites or degenerate v meter gain or something because it wasn't well tested, and the last update or 2 to sfv will be nerfing those. The final overall balance of the game will be worse than now, and in the long term people will complain that the vskill 2 update purposely made the game worse so sfv couldn't hang around as a long term viable esport and people would be forced to buy into sf6 which was already in development.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit.

Disliking SNK's designs and liking Capcpom's is a take I've never witnessed before.

It's certainly... interesting. And I'd say the amount of duds per arc for KoF originals is about how many something like SFIV had as a whole among its new characters.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit.

I'm shaking the fucking table!

SNK as a whole just doesn't appeal to me. But when they get it right, they're the best in the genre. I was being hyperbolic earlier. It's more like I hate 90% of their designs. KOFXIII's art design made some of their stuff look better than it usually does.

Namco/NRS though is another story. I swear I like maybe 2 or 3 characters between Tekken, Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat.

Capcom's characters just speak to me so much more. Their only real duds being Seth and Rufus and throwaway shit like that time they put Donovan's head on Demitri's body.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all know that Dan is basically making fun of SNK character design right? Preferring Capcom designs isn't exactly a new thing.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
KoF XIII's art style is terrible and made most of their stuff look far worse than it normally does (K'/Kula/Maxima being the only exceptions since their overhauls weren't handled by Nona, with Kula being the only female character who turned out well in it after the rest of them were massive downgrades). Ogura's promotional and win art had a lot of good stuff, but those sprites and most of the backgrounds were hideous.
Y'all know that Dan is basically making fun of SNK character design right? Preferring Capcom designs isn't exactly a new thing.
It's them making fun of Art of Fighting specifically through Dan (considering the quality of those games, they're an easy target).

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
KoF XIII's art style is terrible and made most of their stuff look far worse than it normally does (K'/Kula/Maxima being the only exceptions since their overhauls weren't handled by Nona, with Kula being the only female character who turned out well in it after the rest of them were massive downgrades). Ogura's promotional and win art had a lot of good stuff, but those sprites and most of the backgrounds were hideous.

KoF XIII is the best most of those characters have ever looked. I will never understand that game's detractors. It is absolutely gorgeous (not to mention a damn fun game to play).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
KoF XIII is the best most of those characters have ever looked. I will never understand that game's detractors. It is absolutely gorgeous (not to mention a damn fun game to play).
The best which of them have ever looked? Iori's makeover was terrible, Vice and Mature's redesigns were just lazy, a lot of the men were weirdly roided out compared to before, and they completely dropped every trace of MotW from the roster down to reverting Terry back to his old version. That's without even getting started on Mai's fivehead, Athena looking like a Precious Moments disaster, Yuri being an angry meatbun, whatever it was that was going on with King's head and her scrawny arms, or Leona not even having a mouth. Changing Ash's stance and mannerisms to that nonchalant crap after what he had before was also lame.

And the game completely falls apart in high-level play thanks to shoddy balance and HD combo garbage. It's laughable in retrospect how people kept touting it as an "honest" alternative to SFIV at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.