• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on it more, I might have been more worried about appearances than I needed to be considering the fact that RQs are much easier to spot in this game, as the connection lost message shows up pretty much immediately when I see people do that rather than the game freezing for ten seconds or more ahead of time. Either way, not like there's anything I can or could've done about it any more than other failings of this game's online like matches plagued by that "I hit them, wait, I didn't?" rollback garbage.

I will continue to expect nothing of consequence at Evo.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
They better reveal more than two characters.

This thing better be mindblowing to justify their radio silence.

Personally, if they released two characters, but also announced that a bunch more were coming, AND also announced some big changes (mechanical) or possibly some new modes, that would be okay. Even better would be to give us three characters, make one of them Decapre, and give her to us for free (she is already largely finished). This announcement needs to be fucking juicy. They need to build some goodwill.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Personally, if they released two characters, but also announced that a bunch more were coming, AND also announced some big changes (mechanical) or possibly some new modes, that would be okay. Even better would be to give us three characters, make one of them Decapre, and give her to us for free (she is already largely finished). This announcement needs to be fucking juicy. They need to build some goodwill.
Some like that would be good enough, although I definitely do not expect anything free from Capcom lmao. They didn't even throw us a bone when they launched the game in an unfinished garbo-state.

They for sure need to make a big splash. A statement that SFV is alive and kicking. If it's gonna be some Kage-tier shit then just put a fork in it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Some like that would be good enough, although I definitely do not expect anything free from Capcom lmao. They didn't even throw us a bone when they launched the game in an unfinished garbo-state.

They for sure need to make a big splash. A statement that SFV is alive and kicking. If it's gonna be some Kage-tier shit then just put a fork in it.

I doubt a free character is coming, but I think it would be a very smart move (goodwill is too frequently ignored in this industry). I agree with the rest of what you said. If they don't make a big splash then they have set themselves up for a bit of fiasco.

Last edited:

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The game was even supposed to have a theme song!

It was announced and everything!

then...... nothing.
Well, they used it in a trailer, and the song did come out on the band's album... it just, like, was never acually put into the game itself. Its a weird thing Capcom does now a days, the DmC Japanese trailer song and DMC5's Mad Qualia warent in the games themselves as well.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
This seems like a good time to recap the non-costume stuff that's been found from datamining. Again, most of this is via the game's localization (locres) files, which contain all of the localized text you see in the game.

- Each character is assigned a unique character code (Ryu is Z00, Kolin is Z20, etc.) The latest character, Kage, is Z32. A reference to Z33 was added to the locres files at the same time as Z32 in December's V4.000. Z34 was added in V4.020.
- As noted by Yurinka, references to Z32-Z37 have been in DA_VTriggerNameAsset.uasset since I believe V3.110.
- Each character has two unique missions that have so far been unused. For example:
Perform a Ryusokyaku with Kage {common2} time(s)!
Perform a Critical Art with Kage {common2} time(s)!
- In V4.020, 10 new mission placeholders were added directly after the Kage ones, which would fit with 5 more characters each having two unique missions.
- Since V4.020, there's been a new reference to ID_CMN_EXChar_E_SLD, which is next to all of the other previous EX bosses (Shadow, True Akuma, etc.). Presumably this will be Shadow Lady for Extra Battle.

- The V-Skill 2 stuff is curious. As Yurinka pointed out, the text only appeared in the game's localization file starting with V4.020 (February). However, the same text isn't in the game's Japanese localization file. Additionally, its placement is right next to a lot of unused Dojo text.
- Speaking of the Dojo, there's still a ton of unused Dojo assets left in the files. It's possible they abandoned complete Dojo implementation, given how so much of the Dojo management is browser only.

SiyXTc1.png
Xa5ThiE.png
YoXhpdf.png
3JkGc1A.png
LfRNV6R.png
XIn6GDT.png
cMiU7rW.png
hbVi9Eb.png
PRbhNU1.png
Ob1cywG.png

dojo.uasset
DojoMenu.uasset
DojoMenuElementAsset.uasset
img_DojoBg.uasset
img_DojoBg02.uasset
img_DojoBtnArrow.uasset
img_DojoBtnEf00.uasset
img_DojoBtnEf01.uasset
img_DojoChat.uasset
img_DojoFooter.uasset
img_DojoGoal.uasset
img_DojoHeader.uasset
img_DojoIcon_Mute.uasset
img_DojoIcon_Rom.uasset
img_DojoNamelistEF.uasset
img_DojoNamelistOff.uasset
img_DojoNamelistOn.uasset

img_DojoBtn_catalog.uasset
img_DojoBtn_custom.uasset
img_DojoBtn_Investment.uasset
img_DojoBtn_keiko.uasset
img_DojoBtn_management.uasset
img_DojoBtn_mirror.uasset
img_DojoBtn_runking.uasset
img_DojoBtn_tournament.uasset
img_DojoIconMaster.uasset
img_DojoIconTeacher.uasset
- Near where the V-Skill 2 mentions were found there used to be references to "Gacha" as well as "ShopVoiceHelpText," but those were eventually removed when Fighting Chance and the new Shop voice were added, respectively. This seems to suggest that this area of the locres file is for temporary translations.
- All that said, there are still references to Zenny in the locres file, such as "Please select the Zenny Pack you would like to purchase." That shows that Capcom don't always care to remove things that are planned but ultimately unused.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, for as much as I dunk on this game from time to time, I really do love watching it. The amount of character variety in high-level play is so exciting, especially when it leads to stuff like Sako's Kage triumphing over OilKing's Rashid. Really makes it feel like no character is truly unviable, you just have to put in the time with them to overcome their shortcomings.

Oct 25, 2017
The game was even supposed to have a theme song!

It was announced and everything!

then...... nothing.
It did. Came out years ago. Right before launch actually.

It was used extensively in TV Spots for SFV... in Japan. Nothing outside of Japan tho, outside of a single spot using some random licensed rap song that only appeared at Gamestop demo PS4s afaik.

The marketing was very spot on, as you can tell.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I never thought that SFV was that unique compared to some other FGs out there, but it's true. The only other modern FG I've seen where you are potentially 2 guesses away after getting knocked down the first time from losing the round is FighterZ. This game is more explosive than Samurai Shodown.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I never thought that SFV was that unique compared to some other FGs out there, but it's true. The only other modern FG I've seen where you are potentially 2 guesses away after getting knocked down the first time from losing the round is FighterZ. This game is more explosive than Samurai Shodown.

My favorite two fighting games since 2008 are SFV and Sam Sho 2019.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My favorite two fighting games since 2008 are SFV and Sam Sho 2019.
I need to play more. It's easy to think that a game where a heavy button takes away 25% of the life bar would be nuts and it'd be like a game where everything crush countered all the time, but it's actually not like that. I was watching Valle play on his stream yesterday, and it was a pretty fascinating watch.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol, I remember them announcing a J-Rock band for it and everything.

I'm still waiting for that president of the world theme. It's just sitting in a folder on some intern computer at Capcom.

Fucking Capcom and their trailer music.

Somewhat related. Did Lupe ever release the full version of that song he did for Evo?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I need to play more. It's easy to think that a game where a heavy button takes away 25% of the life bar would be nuts and it'd be like a game where everything crush countered all the time, but it's actually not like that. I was watching Valle play on his stream yesterday, and it was a pretty fascinating watch.

I actually think it's going to be a game with frequent timeouts at the high level.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
lol, I remember them announcing a J-Rock band for it and everything.

I'm still waiting for that president of the world theme. It's just sitting in a folder on some intern computer at Capcom.

I want the fuckin' music from the G trailer. That song literally only exists because of that character but its not in the game. Literally. What the fuck Capcom??

Foxhound286

Dec 4, 2017
New Jersey
I want the fuckin' music from the G trailer. That song literally only exists because of that character but its not in the game. Literally. What the fuck Capcom??
Right? I mean, why bother commissioning a whole song just to never release it? Just to have a portion of it play in a single trailer and never use it again? It makes very little sense to me.

Last edited:

leder

Oct 25, 2017
It's got crazy damage but it also has actual usable defensive options.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I've only played the demo, but Samurai Showdown seems like the extreme damage is mitigated by the fact that there are several defensive mechanics that actually work. The side step, the perfect guard, the sword catching thing etc

Meanwhile you can literally throw, command grab, parry, and punish with normals/specials the main defensive mechanic in SFV. V-Reversals should only be able to be blocked and that's it.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Mk11 all fixed these issues. Capcom done nothing but nerf v reversals.

Did you know that Cammy can't V Reversal Chun Li's B.Fierce cancel into fire ball? She get hit out of her V Reversel

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Mk11 all fixed these issues. Capcom done nothing but nerf v reversals.

Did you know that Cammy can't V Reversal Chun Li's B.Fierce cancel into fire ball? She get hit out of her V Reversel
oh no, cammy has a thing that isn't amazing?

You could've mentioned how they killed Ed's v-reversal, literally the one good thing he had left.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
I've only played the demo, but Samurai Showdown seems like the extreme damage is mitigated by the fact that there are several defensive mechanics that actually work. The side step, the perfect guard, the sword catching thing etc

Meanwhile you can literally throw, command grab, parry, and punish with normals/specials the main defensive mechanic in SFV. V-Reversals should only be able to be blocked and that's it.

Its a strange thing, having all these options makes the game far less stressful even though you can lose a round pretty damn quick. I don't get that "trapped in a box" playing it. SFV is literally feeling that way against certain charcters in some seasons.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Hey guys, remember how they made Ed, an "easy-to-use" character but his only safe special cancel requires piano inputs that are only punches?

Hey guys, remember how they made Falky-chan, an "easy-to-use" character but one of her key moves requires you to keep a punch button held?

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Yeah, it seemed like the Ed/Falke design philosophy was to make everything an easy input EXCEPT for the best thing in their arsenal. It seems like a very specific choice, and yet it defeats the whole purpose of the easy input character.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, remember how they made Ed, an "easy-to-use" character but his only safe special cancel requires piano inputs that are only punches?

Hey guys, remember how they made Falky-chan, an "easy-to-use" character but one of her key moves requires you to keep a punch button held?
Tbf I did find ed easy to use, his ease of use helped me up my game. Eventually though you hit an "ed wall" where you become good enough with ed and other characters that you become very aware of his flaws you gotta work extra hard. But as a character who is a sort of easy entry to what is sfv, he works

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Falke was close to being cool
...I wouldn't say close

A personality is a pretty big thing. Say what you want about ed and his design ( enough people had said enough about it odds are its gonna change in the future) but he has personality and spunk, so much of it balrog becomes an actual character.

Falk is the example of how "waifu" with nothing else doesn't work in a genre where your characters live and die on personality.

So I would argue she wasn't very close, without personality...she didn't even begin to be cool

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
...I wouldn't say close

A personality is a pretty big thing. Say what you want about ed and his design ( enough people had said enough about it odds are its gonna change in the future) but he has personality and spunk, so much of it balrog becomes an actual character.

Falk is the example of how "waifu" with nothing else doesn't work in a genre where your characters live and die on personality.

So I would argue she wasn't very close, without personality...she didn't even begin to be cool
The only thing Ed needs is a costume change. Make Bison stripper his main and it's all fixed.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
...I wouldn't say close

Yeah they really nailed her personality:

white-bread-9aca49dd298d29eba19afe086778b821bc7f90fd-s800-c85.jpg
I meant more her gameplay/playstyle, but yeah you're right. She has no personality.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
...I wouldn't say close

I don't know, I am not really getting that waifu bait vibe from her. To be honest, I don't know what they tried to do with Falke and I am saying that as one of the few people on earth to actually like her. She is just so forgettable.

I have said it before, but I read Ashida's comment on her professional costume and I weep because there is so much lost potential there. I can totally picture her as an eccentric artist who wacks people with a microphone stand, Freddy Mercury style. If they had incorporated that kind of personality into her animations and flairs, the way they did with other new characters like G, Zeku, Menat, etc., she would have been so much more interesting.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, I am not really getting that waifu bait vibe from her. To be honest, I don't know what they tried to do with Falke and I am saying that as one of the few people on earth to actually like her. She is just so forgettable.

I have said it before, but I read Ashida's comment on her professional costume and I weep because there is so much lost potential there. I can totally picture her as an eccentric artist who wacks people with a microphone stand, Freddy Mercury style. If they had incorporated that kind of personality into her animations and flairs, the way they did with other new characters like G, Zeku, Menat, etc., she would have been so much more interesting.
I do she's "not" nazi experiment waifu . That's her deal. Girl even speaks german. And I agree, like her being like a rocker that having inlfuence in how she speaks and moves and stuff like that and her having a deal sending out subliminal music to unbrainwash , brainwashed bison experiments is super cool. But its left to an after thought .

Hopefully they fix her and ed's outfit up in future

Status
Not open for further replies.