• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Cool so we are back to a nice big update for SF5, but again just shows what a mess they have made of Season 4. I mean it is such a big step back from the way they ran season 3. I really hope they do more than just a character or two and a stage

Nov 21, 2017
SF4 was great and CEO 2015 top 8 was one of the best top 8's in the entire history of that game. I remember seeing SFV on first release and it looked like an absolutely crazy game until they toned down pretty much everything. Ryu V-Trigger used EX bar instead, and gave a permanent extra hit to every fireball he threw, including ex-fireballs and even supers. You'd be throwing 4-hit standard fireballs that did massive chip damage, it'd be like playing a super turbo projectile game. You could activate 5 times over a match and you'd have a super that does 10 hits in the last round, I thought everyone was going to be off-the-wall absurd like that.

I'm quietly hoping for a SF6, the best thing about SF5 is that it gave me more time for other fighting games.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Why are people so eager for a game that's probably still in pre-production to come out as soon as possible when the main complaint for SF5 is that it was rushed and released with too little content?
They not fixing SF5 garbage netcode, my hope is SF6 will bring a new netcode, right now i rather they announce SF6 than new characters for SF5..

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

They definitely had Ono address this because of the baseless rumor going around. Setting the expectations.

emoji-png-thinking-15.png

I dont think its happening before next gen arrives but its fun to speculate

Kyora90

Apr 15, 2018
You guys don't understand, he's playing 3D chess with us, so that means it's actually the opposite, so SF VI IS confirmed.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Cool so we are back to a nice big update for SF5, but again just shows what a mess they have made of Season 4. I mean it is such a big step back from the way they ran season 3. I really hope they do more than just a character or two and a stage

I look forward reading the SFV postmortem articles years from now to learn what exactly was happening behind the scenes at Capcom during this time.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all really want a half baked 6.

I'd really like Capcom to take their time with SFVI and build on what worked in SFV and what went wrong, but I worry Capcom will rush out SFVI. Capcom top-brass will look at eSports SFV viewership numbers in season 4, panic, and demand the devs push out SFVI ASAP.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling they have something else cooking, espeically after that Fword thing I clipped at ceo.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I feel the same.

And going by numbers and even though it lead to one of my faves, 3S. SF3: NG was their biggest mistake, hehe.

Capcom's mistake with SFIII was doubling down on powerful arcade hardware when PlayStation was blowing up. I don't know what an SFIII tailored to run on PlayStation 1 would have looked or felt like, but if they had a decent SFIII port on PS1 in like 1998, it would have done numbers.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
People went from expecting a Honda trailer at Evo. To expecting SF6, Darkstalkers, or Capcom All stars announcements. lmao

And watch people get upset with Capcom when it doesn't happen. When it's their own damn fault for listening to rumors and speculations. Set expectations low, don't be silly.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm expecting the announcements to be something along the lines of 1) a PSN sale, 2) a vague promise to support PS4 fight sticks on PS5, and 3) a new fighting game to be published by Sony therefore has PlayStation exclusivity. The game will probably be something out of left field instead of one of the franchises everyone's thinking about it (and may or may not turn out to be any good).

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
oh yeah another Sony exclusive like the last one worked so well, when MK is the best selling game of the year to date..

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony announcing a new fighting game now when it'd certainly be for the PlayStation 5 and they're clearly not at the point where they'd be discussing their PS5 lineup.
oh yeah another Sony exclusive like the last one worked so well, when MK is the best selling game of the year to date..
"Worked so well" sarcastically for whom? Because, presumably, Capcom got what they needed with the deal considering its lower than target sales. And Sony got an exclusive fighting game out of it. I doubt SFV would have sold enough on the Xbox One to somehow make them largely regret it.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting the announcements to be something along the lines of 1) a PSN sale, 2) a vague promise to support PS4 fight sticks on PS5, and 3) a new fighting game to be published by Sony therefore has PlayStation exclusivity. The game will probably be something out of left field instead of one of the franchises everyone's thinking about it (and may or may not turn out to be any good).
There's a pre-and-post EVO PSN fighting game sale going on for virtually every game. Except one.

*raises an eyebrow*

(Well ok SamSho as well, but that game's been out like 1 month)

edit 2: also BBCTB, but they're likely getting a new DLC pack.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see Sony announcing a new fighting game now when it'd certainly be for the PlayStation 5 and they're clearly not at the point where they'd be discussing their PS5 lineup.

"Worked so well" sarcastically for whom? Because, presumably, Capcom got what they needed with the deal considering its lower than target sales. And Sony got an exclusive fighting game out of it. I doubt SFV would have sold enough on the Xbox One to somehow make them largely regret it.
And Smash aside, depending on whether one counts it anyway, no other fighter was going to sell the same numbers as MK anyway.
There's a pre-and-post EVO PSN fighting game sale going on for virtually every game. Except one.

*raises an eyebrow*

(Well ok SamSho as well, but that game's been out like 1 month)

edit 2: also BBCTB, but they're likely getting a new DLC pack.

Given the small size of the remaining community and by extension the limited amount of participants at Evo, not putting BBTAG on sale while planning to launch what'll probably be yet another $10 DLC pack is pushing their luck.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the theory was BBCTB was only on the Sunday so that Arcsys could announce a new Guilty Gear, not more DLC

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of what may come at EVO wrt SFV, it's a safe bet we'll be seeing Gachikun's CPT costume unveiled sometime next weekend.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the theory was BBCTB was only on the Sunday so that Arcsys could announce a new Guilty Gear, not more DLC
As they've already teased a sixth franchise to be added to BBTAG, additional DLC would be the bare minimum of their announcements. Choosing to also use it as an excuse to announce the next Guilty Gear is what's only a theory, as they could just as well wait until the end of the ArcREVO world tour to do that for all we know.
It's on Sunday cause the game takes about .2 seconds to run.
It's certainly why it'll run first on Sunday, anyway.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think ASW is going to announce GG before Gran Blue comes out. And I think Gran Blue has its own reveal event next month too. I'm really interested in how they're going to change from Xrd though.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think ASW is going to announce GG before Gran Blue comes out. And I think Gran Blue has its own reveal event next month too. I'm really interested in how they're going to change from Xrd though.
This is another factor as to why they may not necessarily announce the next GG there, and could just as well use the stage for more GBVS news and a release date to accompany whatever updates they have to share concerning BBTAG. If they follow through on what they discussed previously, then the next GG will be even simpler than Xrd, possibly getting rid of things like Blitz Shield/Attack, adding autocombos, removing Danger Time (ideally) and purple RCs, potentially making the game flashier (i.e., having the difference between a regular and Burst Overdrive be more pronounced visually than a UI indicator and a bit more damage), and maybe continuing to move toward making comboing into IKs more practical as BlazBlue did. Hell Fire will probably still be a thing if I were to guess, though.
An accent core style update would be huge, but I'd be surprised if there was anything beyond a small cash tournament prize for Xrd.
It's very unlikely that they would move back toward making GG more intricate as with Accent Core, particularly when the Xrd games had been using #R (the last one that Ishiwatari had directed himself before moving onto GG2 and Xrd) as the base. They've been under the impression that GG putting people off by being too complicated has been why the Xrd games aren't selling, though I honestly see that as the least of GG's problems in achieving broader appeal.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This is another factor as to why they may not necessarily announce the next GG there, and could just as well use the stage for more GBVS news and a release date to accompany whatever updates they have to share concerning BBTAG. If they follow through on what they discussed previously, then the next GG will be even simpler than Xrd, possibly getting rid of things like Blitz Shield/Attack, adding autocombos, removing Danger Time (ideally) and purple RCs, potentially making the game flashier (i.e., having the difference between a regular and Burst Overdrive be more pronounced visually than a UI indicator and a bit more damage), and maybe continuing to move toward making comboing into IKs more practical as BlazBlue did. Hell Fire will probably still be a thing if I were to guess, though.

It's very unlikely that they would move back toward making GG more intricate as with Accent Core, particularly when the Xrd games had been using #R (the last one that Ishiwatari had directed himself before moving onto GG2 and Xrd) as the base. They've been under the impression that GG putting people off by being too complicated has been why the Xrd games aren't selling, though I honestly see that as the least of GG's problems in achieving broader appeal.
Let's be honest.

It's the wacky character design. I can count the character designs I like in Guilty Gear on one hand with maybe an extra finger on the other. The popular anime games all have pretty generic art (UNIST, BB, Melty) in comparison; they just appeal to a wider base.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest.

It's the wacky character design. I can count the character designs I like in Guilty Gear on one hand with maybe an extra finger on the other. The popular anime games all have pretty generic art (UNIST, BB, Melty) in comparison; they just appeal to a wider base.
The aesthetic is exactly why I believe that GG's appeal is more limited compared to other anime fighters, yes. The rock and roll theme could be argued as another factor, particularly considering the fact that Ishiwatari's work on BB's soundtrack has more variety beyond his usual leanings, but the more traditional, mainstream anime sensibilities associated with BB were what helped it gain significantly more traction among consumers. As much as I love GG, it can be argued that it's just too weird even by the standards of its niche to resonate with a broader audience.

Arc had only intended for BlazBlue to be a placeholder while they attempted to get all of the rights back to Guilty Gear and refine the 2.5D techniques they would put to use with its revival, but it ended up supplanting it as their flagship franchise instead.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest.

Personally, it's one of the reasons I can't get into GG. And it's not just how the characters look, but most of their movesets are also just totally bizarre to me.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been watching the G and Sagat reveal from last year's EVO and man that was such a hype reveal. I don't expect next week's news to top it but man it really has to at least match it.

Status
Not open for further replies.