• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's favourite stage in the game?
The Shadaloo anti-air battery stage. I have no idea why this one still isn't available outside of story mode.
Fw73rhM.png

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, what's everyone's favourite stage in the game?

I still love Metro City Bay Area; the dynamic night -> dawn -> day cycle makes it more visually-interesting than most backgrounds, it has a killer music track, and reps one of my fave games of all time.

I'm also super partial to Frosty Boulevard though; the bright colours and godlike theme make it feel surprisingly timeless for a holiday stage, which makes it feel less weird if used year-round unlike Spooky Arena.
I really like the dojo and the beach, solely because of how the lighting looks on the characters, and Guile's stage in general just looks great.

tgteCis.jpg

TW7ABYR.jpg

qrIb1TF.jpg

The best looking stage is probably the newest one, the grass stage.

Last edited:

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I really like the dojo and the beach, solely because of how the lighting looks on the characters.

The best looking stage is probably the newest one, the grass stage.
Field of Fate is super cool yeah; still so weird that it's listed as a variant on Temple of Ascension even though they share basically zero assets.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I like Sagat's stage, it's the only one that I've bought. I'd really love to grab the Metro City Bay Area one but can't bring myself to spend the FM.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The Grid/Shadaloo Base at Night/Kanzuki Estate at Noon because they don't make the game chug online

Honda Sento is the best stage aesthetically though.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish this game had more new stages instead of milking SF2 stages (and the odd Alpha stage) but it does have some good ones regardless. I'm still beyond salty that Capcom never added the stages from story mode. Some of those were so sick.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I wish this game had more new stages instead of milking SF2 stages (and the odd Alpha stage) but it does have some good ones regardless. I'm still beyond salty that Capcom never added the stages from story mode. Some of those were so sick.

The story stages are pretty sparse and uninspired tbh. The lighting on some of them is cool, but that's about it.

Kanzuki Estate at Noon

Also one of the best looking stages.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Bustling Side Street, City in Chaos, and the regular night Kanzuki Estate stage are some of the ones I like that haven't been mentioned yet. Would like to get Honda's, but don't feel like spending the FM right now and am less than enthused about spending real money on stages (would also make less sense than using it to get Honda himself first for another character to farm EXP, considering how little FM I have left).

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I love that little animation of Poison adjusting her heel after love me tender. I usually despise "zoners" and hated playing her in USF4 because she felt like a tank to control, but I love her so much now...as long as I'm not up against Rashid, Akuma, Laura, and strangely Nash.
No it's a good thing and we need to encourage nostalgia bait so the next game will have remade stages from every version of SF3.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It'd be nice if SF6 played more with perspective in the stages.

CWZzhn3.png

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It would be nice if SF6 could remove all NPC from the stages to let them breathe.
I would rebuy all the stages of SF5 if there were variations without the characters. That's the real reason Kanzuki Estate is so good.
Weird that the variations without NPC of City in Chaos and Brasil are still locked to a Shadow Fall.

Deleted member 3856

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, got a few newbie questions. So, I've been playing this for two weeks now and it's my first time making a serious effort to get good at fighting games. I'm definitely getting better but I kept making it to bronze only to end up getting my ass handed to me a bunch and falling right back to rookie. Last night I had a win streak, though, that got me all the way to super bronze and now I'm kinda confused about where I'm at and where I'm supposed to be. It's not like I had any kind of major breakthrough in my play, so it feels like I just got lucky with matchmaking and will fall back down to rookie immediately. I guess what I'm wondering is how reliable is the matchmaking at pitting you against opponent of a similar skill level?

Sometimes I'll get absolutely trashed and it'll be pretty obvious that the player is a scrub because they're still in bronze and keep repeating the same mix-ups endlessly. They're usually Karin or Mika players and although I still often lose to them, at some point I started catching on to their bullshit and I'm actually getting better at dealing with them! But sometimes I'll get matched with a rookie or bronze player and will be completely and utterly outclassed. Like, I'll try my fucking best and they'll just effortlessly wipe the floor with me lol. Does this game have a big smurf problem?

Oh and I'm curious to hear how other gamepad players use the dpad. I would always slide the tip of the thumb over it but after a week of non-stop playing my thumb hurt so much that I had to spend some time in training mode to build new muscle memory to keep playing. Now I try to keep my thumb centered on the dpad and just kinda rotate it without moving too much. Is that the optimal way to go about it?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, got a few newbie questions. So, I've been playing this for two weeks now and it's my first time making a serious effort to get good at fighting games. I'm definitely getting better but I kept making it to bronze only to end up getting my ass handed to me a bunch and falling right back to rookie. Last night I had a win streak, though, that got me all the way to super bronze and now I'm kinda confused about where I'm at and where I'm supposed to be. It's not like I had any kind of major breakthrough in my play, so it feels like I just got lucky with matchmaking and will fall back down to rookie immediately. I guess what I'm wondering is how reliable is the matchmaking at pitting you against opponent of a similar skill level?

Sometimes I'll get absolutely trashed and it'll be pretty obvious that the player is a scrub because they're still in bronze and keep repeating the same mix-ups endlessly. They're usually Karin or Mika players and although I still often lose to them, at some point I started catching on to their bullshit and I'm actually getting better at dealing with them! But sometimes I'll get matched with a rookie or bronze player and will be completely and utterly outclassed. Like, I'll try my fucking best and they'll just effortlessly wipe the floor with me lol. Does this game have a big smurf problem?

There are smurfs, especially with people trying out the new characters. You don't know who is behind those rank badges. They can be much better than what their rank says, but they can also be much worse. Which is why you shouldn't pay much attention to a rank badge and just play your game and focus on improving. If you take a lot of losses and drop back down to Rookie, that will be frustrating, but it doesn't mean you are not improving. Your own rank doesn't say much about how you're evolving as a player either.

It's hard to block that shit out, but try to and just focus on your game.

As a personal anecdote, I've spent the previous year and a half stuck in the same 1,000 LP range, going back and forth between the same two ranks. I was getting better, but it did NOT seem like it. It seemed like I was stagnant. In the past month and a half, I've gained like 5,000 LP, though. I'm not night and day better than what I was two months ago, but the small improvements I've been making have gotten me over the hump. The points come eventually.

Last edited:

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Last night I had a win streak, though, that got me all the way to super bronze and now I'm kinda confused about where I'm at and where I'm supposed to be. It's not like I had any kind of major breakthrough in my play, so it feels like I just got lucky with matchmaking and will fall back down to rookie immediately.

Give one of your win-streak matches a re-watch to see what you were doing right and also what you need to improve upon. Maybe your anti-air was on-point or you were punishing your opponents more often.

If you haven't read this already, this reddit thread has a nice list of suggestions on what players from Rookie -> Gold should focus on:

Deleted member 3856

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to block that shit out, but try to and just focus on your game.

As a personal anecdote, I've spent the previous year and a half stuck in the same 1,000 LP range, going back and forth between the same two ranks. I was getting better, but it did NOT seem like it. It seemed like I was stagnant. In the past month and a half, I've gained like 5,000 LP, though. I'm not night and day better than what I was two months ago, but the small improvements I've been making have gotten me over the hump. The points come eventually.

Yeah, I hear you. It's pretty hard not to get frustrated and disheartened when you get utterly destroyed non-stop, though. Hopefully I'll eventually start climbing more steadily like you did. If I can at least eventually get out of bronze altogether and stay there I'll be satisfied, I think.

Give one of your win-streak matches a re-watch to see what you were doing right and also what you need to improve upon. Maybe your anti-air was on-point or you were punishing your opponents more often.

If you haven't read this already, this reddit thread has a nice list of suggestions on what players from Rookie -> Gold should focus on:

I've been mostly saving replays for matches that were close calls I lost, hadn't thought about doing it for wins as well. I'll make sure to give it a shot. And thanks for that link, I did search around for some general tips but that one looks very in-depth. I'll give it a read later.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully I'll eventually start climbing more steadily like you did. If I can at least eventually get out of bronze altogether and stay there I'll be satisfied, I think.

If you keep playing, you will. Guaranteed. The points and the wins will come. In the meantime, celebrate your minor adjustments and improvements. If you start anti-airing jump-ins that used to hit you, or you learn how to punish a certain attack that was giving you problems, that's real progress. So be proud of that and build on it.

Deleted member 3856

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you keep playing, you will. Guaranteed. The points and the wins will come. In the meantime, celebrate your minor adjustments and improvements. If you start anti-airing jump-ins that used to hit you, or you learn how to punish a certain attack that was giving you problems, that's real progress. So be proud of that and build on it.

Yeah, there's a few holes in my play that I'm already aware of and my current goal is fixing those. I'm decent at anti-air when I can anticipate the jump but otherwise my reaction time is still lacking. I'm also overzealous on the sweeps and often get punished for it. And although I'm getting better at not jumping needlessly, I still panic jump when I need to close in or deal some damage quickly. It's hard to tell how much of a difference fixing those will make but it'll definitely feel pretty good to no longer make those obvious mistakes.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I got my new modem to replace my Puma chipset modem.

Netcode is shit and laggy players are trying to run off with the points after winning a game. 20K really is a cesspool

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
I got my new modem to replace my Puma chipset modem.

Netcode is shit and laggy players are trying to run off with the points after winning a game. 20K really is a cesspool

just watch vesper play. he doesn't even mention laggy games because ass is the normal state. he only starts talking about it when the game is being played right inside the toilet. i would've fizzled out long ago if i was him.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Said screw it and decided to go back to ranked for the sake of it to provide a bigger cushion between advancement and a potential league down. It was only two opponents for now, but I'm satisfied with the results.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
just watch vesper play. he doesn't even mention laggy games because ass is the normal state. he only starts talking about it when the game is being played right inside the toilet. i would've fizzled out long ago if i was him.

In online you can forget about out fundamental your opponent and hope you get a knock down.

When the game is laggy, your opponent is literally a halfway ahead of you. You won't see until you see Ken's fierce DP or Bison's feirce because the model and effects are disconnected

Throw loops are a real thing, dealing with dashes and delays are frustrating to deal with.

Sussudio

Oct 27, 2017
All of them need some tweaks here and there, but excluding the chaps, I prefer all of those over her default. Her one stocking/one arm sleeve look irritates me for some reason.

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I've casually played Street Fighter for most of my life and haven't picked Chun-Li once because I was always intimidated by charge characters but holy hell she's really fun and I'm actually doing pretty well with her.

Also drunk-ordered a hitbox last night after trying to play on my keyboard and loving it.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I've casually played Street Fighter for most of my life and haven't picked Chun-Li once because I was always intimidated by charge characters but holy hell she's really fun and I'm actually doing pretty well with her.
Heh, that's my experience with her as well. I always thought she was kind of boring and I didn't want to use a charge character, so I never tried using her, not even for trials. Then I bought a Chun-Li themed fight pad and felt obligated to try her out at least once. Now she is one of my favorite characters.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
Heh, that's my experience with her as well. I always thought she was kind of boring and I didn't want to use a charge character, so I never tried using her, not even for trials. Then I bought a Chun-Li themed fight pad and felt obligated to try her out at least once. Now she is one of my favorite characters.
Haha, similarly, I bought her SF Alpha costume because I always loved that design and ended up picking her just to see the costume in action. Ended up loving her play style.

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
i just want a new street fighter game with sprite art
yekb4z42jad31.png

But i know that this won't happen for SFVI. So i just hope that they will go with an arc system works 2,5D style like Dragon Ball FIghterZ or Guilty Gear. (but again, this will propably never happen)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
i just want a new street fighter game with sprite art
yekb4z42jad31.png

But i know that this won't happen for SFVI. So i just hope that they will go with an arc system works 2,5D style like Dragon Ball FIghterZ or Guilty Gear. (but again, this will propably never happen)
I'm tired of this sentiment. Sprites are timeless and can be very pretty, but they aren't that interesting anymore. 3D fighting game art styles/animations still have so, so much untapped potential as proven by what Capcom and ASW have accomplished just this generation. Going back would be...regressive. More experimentation and boundary pushing is what this genre actually needs.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that there's very little point in going back to sprites now but I will always prefer the look of Alpha and 3 to 4 and 5. It's not even a contest between the two styles.

Status
Not open for further replies.