• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
A silly thought experiment: how would you guys feel about a mainline Street Fighter with a Tag mechanic? Think more SxT rather than Marvel here, minus the gems of course.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A silly thought experiment: how would you guys feel about a mainline Street Fighter with a Tag mechanic? Think more SxT rather than Marvel here, minus the gems of course.
Honestly, after watching Desk's showcase of Shadow Lady, I feel Capcom is ready to recycle SF5 into Street Fighter VS Capcom with XvSF's system.

They already have a few crossover models ready. Finally, Airman and Gutsman playable again!
It would require quite a lot of horsepower on console to be able to handle 4 SF5 characters on screen, though.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Thats true enough, especially the naming part but its something thats fixable. I dont think it'l be that complicated to make art specifically so that it changes colour based on the one selected, it'l be trickier to have a piece of art for every new costume as well but it would go a long way (plus the abbility to "cheat" by having a base layer for every character they just overlap new clothes art on it like those flash games), and hey it'l keep people fed as long as they arent overworked with countless storyboards like Bengus. The way SF4 did it was basic as hell but I think you can improve on it with proper planning, with end result looking much better than 3D models just hanging there.
Yeah you could definitely make it work with art, I just sorta like the "liveliness" that 3D models give it, how they breathe and have little idle animations plus a flourish when they're selected.

A good compromise would be how UMvC3 does it, where you can see your colour and costume before locking in but they're dynamically-posed in a unique way that shows their character.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For SF6 Capcom needs to be more judicious with what kind of lighting setups they have for close-up sequences.

Like, Ed looks pretty okay here in secret base at night.
Y9ddSX4.png

But the lighting in Bustling Side Street just fucks up his victory face completely lol
o467h9C.png

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man Ed could have been a 10/10 newcomer if he didn't have his god awful default design. Hoodie Ed should have been the default and I will die on that hill.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Man Ed could have been a 10/10 newcomer if he didn't have his god awful default design. Hoodie Ed should have been the default and I will die on that hill.
You are right, though that design is a bit too generic by itself honestly. His design should have been like Bison's getup modified into a bootleg hoodie or something, basically something like Balrog's new default.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
You can't die on a hill for something when there's zero opposition. Everyone is out on that hill having picnics and playing tag and watching clouds and shit.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I cannot use Ed in any of his non-Nero forms after noticing that his hair doesn't have physics in any them (but it does as Nero). It's just pasted to his face.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can't die on a hill for something when there's zero opposition. Everyone is out on that hill having picnics and playing tag and watching clouds and shit.

I often hear that Ed's battle costume should have been his default but I heavily disagree. As a fun side costume it's fine but I'd prefer the hoodie as his default way more.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Ed's default costume is pretty solid... until you look at his head. That hat is idiotic and his hair is pasted onto his face. Fix those two elements and he would look great. Beyond that, they need to give his Bison/Boxing costume a rim on the hat and the ability to use the costume code to fight in just the shorts, shoes, and gloves (giving him a pure boxing outfit).

Change those things and Ed would look awesome. The grey hoodie look was never that great, so no loss there.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
For SF6 Capcom needs to be more judicious with what kind of lighting setups they have for close-up sequences.

Like, Ed looks pretty okay here in secret base at night.

But the lighting in Bustling Side Street just fucks up his victory face completely lol
Just one of the MANY reasons why Shadaloo base at Night is the best stage.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

What does it matter since the hoodie is in the game? It's like when people complain about Akuma's new mane: his OG look is in the game and it looks better than it ever has.

This game has so many damn costumes, why are people hung up on the defaults?

Stop it.

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What does it matter since the hoodie is in the game? It's like when people complain about Akuma's new mane: his OG look is in the game and it looks better than it ever has.

Because that's the one that Capcom will use whenever they do anything with Ed? A default isn't just another costume, it's the go to look for that character and will pop up everywhere that character is during this game's life. Story mode? Default. Character select? Default. Trailers? Default. Renders? Default. It's not something you can ignore as easily as you think it can. It's also what most people will associate the character with. You know why people often complain about default Akuma? Because it's the one they see the most.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Because that's the one that Capcom will use whenever they do anything with Ed? A default isn't just another costume, it's the go to look for that character and will pop up everywhere that character is during this game's life. Story mode? Default. Character select? Default. Trailers? Default. Renders? Default. It's not something you can ignore as easily as you think it can. It's also what most people will associate the character with. You know why people often complain about default Akuma? Because it's the one they see the most.

Yup, the default costume is always going to be the definitive look for that iteration of the game.

I also think it should have been the hoodie or some take on it. I don't like the default at all.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

Because nobody uses them. I have run into a thousand Akumas and 99% of them were default costume, default color. The remaining 1 percent used color 2.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ibuki's default couldn't be more boring, and I never pick it outside of when the game makes me use it (i.e., trials). Always alts for me.

I don't really use Sakura's default, but at least I like it. Of the alts I got for her, sure as hell wasn't interested in paying to get that tired schoolgirl uniform she finally got away from back.

Lucia's default is good enough, decided to get colors 12 and 13 for it. Not interested in anything else she has yet outside of the cowgirl/swimsuit one.

Juri's battle outfit is much better than everything else she has.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Blanka's default costume should have been Blanka-chan. A lot of his awkward animations look much more natural in that specific costume.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
If you're not using Lucia's Bullet colour, you're not playing the character correctly tbh

013.png
tumblr_of2u41KNcT1s3ffo7o2_500.jpg
Humored her story outfit for a bit, decided 40k FM was overpriced for what I would be getting. Tiffany Lords color default and only solid-color thigh highs default are good enough for now.

Of the many story outfits I don't have, Poison needs hers more, but not much point when I don't feel like going back to her.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Ibuki's default couldn't be more boring, and I never pick it outside of when the game makes me use it (i.e., trials). Always alts for me.

I don't really use Sakura's default, but at least I like it. Of the alts I got for her, sure as hell wasn't interested in paying to get that tired schoolgirl uniform she finally got away from back.

Lucia's default is good enough, decided to get colors 12 and 13 for it. Not interested in anything else she has yet outside of the cowgirl/swimsuit one.

Juri's battle outfit is much better than everything else she has.
It's a shame most of the high profile Ibuki players all use the default costume.

I am partial to Juri's school girl outfit, I think the punk/grunge look fits her like a glove, but nothing beats color 15 of her battle costume.

As for my mains, I am perfectly fine with Kolin's default outfit, although I like the Halloween and ice skater outfit as well. With Falke I rotate between her default (I actually like the flight attendant look), her battle costume (color 12!) and her Halloween outfit. For Lucia, I'm not going to lie, I like her Final Fight outfit the most, especially color 10.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame most of the high profile Ibuki players all use the default costume.

I am partial to Juri's school girl outfit, I think the punk/grunge look fits her like a glove, but nothing beats color 15 of her battle costume.

As for my mains, I am perfectly fine with Kolin's default outfit, although I like the Halloween and ice skater outfit as well. With Falke I rotate between her default (I actually like the flight attendant look), her battle costume (color 12!) and her Halloween outfit. For Lucia, I'm not going to lie, I like her Final Fight outfit the most, especially color 10.
Why most of them go with that default, even if usually in other colors, is something I've never understood. Shine (purple nostalgia) and Narikun (white swimsuit) are among the only exceptions who come to mind. For me, I typically go with color 1 or color 4 swimsuit or Kirin, often the red color 4 if not the standard white color 1, though the orange color 10 is occasionally in rotation. In Sakura's case, it's usually Roll or swimsuit, cycling through a lot of colors according to mood. In all cases, easter egg code is typically applied.

While I like what they were going for with Hot Topic schoolgirl Juri, I preferred when Team Ninja did something similar but less busy with an alt for Marie Rose back in DoA5:LR.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
No matter how you cut it, Capcom is handling dlc wrong. People feel slighted. The onus is on them to make things fun while still making money through dlc. They've failed. I know it's easy to rag on the scrub quote contestants in that other thread but Capcom is to blame for not actually making the sub systems in their game fun, not the fans.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
No matter how you cut it, Capcom is handling dlc wrong. People feel slighted. The onus is on them to make things fun while still making money through dlc. They've failed. I know it's easy to rag on the scrub quote contestants in that other thread but Capcom is to blame for not actually making the sub systems in their game fun, not the fans.
3USgt2g.gif

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
We just gonna get EA/Acitvision style mtx/loot boxes for SF6, so everybody will be used to it and it will be fun and familiar.

FM system is not perfect by any stretch of the imagination. But people got free DLC characters with reasonable play time. Capcom made the free hits in early life to big. They shouldn't had been so generous. But they launched in a shitty state, maybe they felt they had too, or didn't have the balls to move to stage 2 of their FM system early on on (cause of the bad launch).

I hope they don't take too much from the current industry big boys in terms of loot boxes with SF6.

I just wish Capcom would listen like NRS (and act faster). MK11 has pretty much fixed most peoples beef with their gear/unlock system from launch.

I hope they take the best parts of the FM system and look at what NRS is doing right and iterate on something fun.

Bring World Tour back, give equal FM during offline and online activities. More promotional weekends things to hand out FM.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bring World Tour back, give equal FM during offline and online activities. More promotional weekends things to hand out FM.
If Capcom inexplicably brings FM back, I see FM being locked away to weekly/time-based activities only, I am sure. Giving FM on a per-character basis is what broke the economy in SFV.

I don't see FM returning anyway. More PR headache than it's worth for them.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Fight Money is never coming back. Weekly missions for costumes, colors and titles will probably stay though.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
If Capcom inexplicably brings FM back, I see FM being locked away to weekly/time-based activities only, I am sure. Giving FM on a per-character basis is what broke the economy in SFV.

I don't see FM returning anyway. More PR headache than it's worth for them.

Yea, I don't see it coming back either, tbh. It will be interesting to see what they do. Just gonna like Namco/NRS/etc, you gotta buy those DLC characters straight up with cash, my mangs.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
What do you mean? You can't be talking about walk speeds, dashes, or frame data. The three games are remarkably similar.

And if you're talking about how fast matches go, SFV is probably the fastest SF since SFII.

And I get that. I literally watched a comparison video of those games at their most optimal. Everything adds up with SFV being the fastest entry since the SFII series.

.... But when replaying Third Strike on the anniversary collection and then swaping back to V, it felt like I was slugging through molasses in the latter. And I can't put my finger on the "why".

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck it. Go full tilt derp and add DBFZ teleports to SF. Speed things up! Tired of seeing people walk around spacing shit.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
.... But when replaying Third Strike on the anniversary collection and then swaping back to V, it felt like I was slugging through molasses in the latter. And I can't put my finger on the "why".

I don't get it at all. I played SFV and two different versions of 3rd Strike online last night. About to do the same today. It's a pretty natural transition. They're probably two of the most similar feeling games in the entire franchise.

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México

Because it's a fucking Odyssey to get an extra colour, let alone a fucking costume.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I've played Poison some more. I think her problem is despite some good tools, she doesn't have the power to scare and immobilize people the way Menat, Dhalsim and Guile do. Menat makes people afraid to walk forward. Dhalsim and Guile make people afraid to walk forward and jump to varying degrees. I feel like she has to walk forward and pressure way more than the other three do if she wants to get anything done. Poison's whip is relatively easy to punish, and while she probably has one of the best anti-air normals in the game, it still isn't enough to make people afraid to jump in. Like...Ibuki in particular is actually a nightmare to fight against.

I'm still going to play her though. She's a lot of fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.