• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GTOAkira

Sep 1, 2018
Tokyo Games Show has over 1000 entrants for SFV! Last year numbers were around 780 entrants.

Now imagine the numbers for Red Bull Kumite.
Also The top8 like last years will received a Jesus pro license if they are from Japan and if they dont already have one.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I watch Bonchan play Sagat I think "Wow Sagat is stronger than I thought" but then I remember that Bonchan made NASH look strong.

Dude's a legend through and through.

Agreed. I amcannot play Sagat. All his moves seem slow and I feel like my opponent can see it coming a mile away.

Unless I can spam Tigers, I don't feel comfortable.

Bonchan makes Sagat look like top tier.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

JWong and Tokido are so far ahead of everyone else.

Tokido is the only one to make Top 8 in ST, 3S, CvS2, SFIV, SFxT, and SFV. Tokido actually placed in 12 games because he got top 8 in HD Remix as well, but infil doesn't count it separately (he doesn't count the different versions of SFIV or MvC3 separately either, but ST and HDR are hella different).

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom on Street Fighter 5 Server Maintenance
Since the update on August 5, we confirmed the network can become unstable at times. To identify and fix the problem, we will expand online servers in attempts to stabilize the network.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Expand online servers? As in, more servers? As in, the small influx of people after EVO caused all this headache?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
tumblr_ms9jg2beUg1scrs0po1_400.gif

That's not how it works

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Guys. Just wondering, is it worth purchasing Kage? He seems to be way too similar to Akuma's moveset (duh).

But I'm hearing the character is a missed opportunity.

Some of the top players who used him for a bit went back to their #1 and 2.

How is Kage's ground game compared to Akuma's?
P.S I miss Evil Ryu from USF4.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Guys. Just wondering, is it worth purchasing Kage? He seems to be way too similar to Akuma's moveset (duh).

If you miss Evil Ryu, get Kage. Akuma is better than just about everybody in the game, but Kage is alright. Live your edgelord dreams.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

He's not really like Akuma other than doing the typical shoto things. He's like a worse Necalli. He's fun to play if you're okay with having the tiniest normals in the game.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Not yet, just rounds. I need to stop letting him corner me and I need to learn how to recognize which stomps are unsafe on block.

The only one who can beat Snake Eyes is Storm Shadow. Clearly you need to switch to the white ninja. From this day on you will be a Vega player. Embrace your destiny.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017

Hopefully never. Not in a mainline Street Fighter game. Guest characters are super lame, especially when there are tons of characters who could be incorporated into the main cast (and there are still plenty of beloved characters who haven't made the roster). Guest characters are disrespectful to the fans of the franchise (in my opinion).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not opposed to the idea of guest characters on principle, particularly if a game does them well, as something like SCVI did with Geralt and 2B or DoA6 did with Kula and Mai while on the topic of SNK. That said, I find it difficult to picture mainline SF joining other franchises in adopting guests, and I don't expect it to start with this game. I would wager that Capcom are content with having full creative control over everyone represented in SFV specifically.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Street Fighter has good character designers and lots of fan favorites unlike some other franchises; cross overs in mainline games aren't really necessary. I wouldn't be opposed to Terry in SFV though, because he'd actually fit into the game without clashing with its style.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Putting guest characters in Street Fighter is a waste.

I don't just mean a waste of resources that can go toward bringing Rose back or making Haggar playable in the series for the first time either.

It's a waste because Capcom already pioneered the best way to handle guest characters: full fledged versus games.

Don't beg for Terry in SFV. Beg big. Beg for CvS3 and settle for Terry in SFV.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
SFV is bad because of the lack of Guest characters.

Ono needs to personally go to SNK's offices and beg for a good waifu guest to save the game.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
what changed with the new netcode update? the filtering is back to old style? i get less matches but they seem better. seems untouched otherwise. wi-fi can sneak in and pretend everything is fine.

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
What are you guys talking about, we got lots of guest characters from the Final Fight series!

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully never. Not in a mainline Street Fighter game. Guest characters are super lame, especially when there are tons of characters who could be incorporated into the main cast (and there are still plenty of beloved characters who haven't made the roster). Guest characters are disrespectful to the fans of the franchise (in my opinion).

Yeah this is pretty much my thoughts on it. They can be super hype (like Geese in T7) but not at the expense of so many other characters still not in the game.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was listening to stuff on Spotify, and I was reminded SF5's AE album includes the DLC themes for characters and backgrounds up until Falke.
I don't know how many more characters they need to add, but I hope we don't need to wait 3 more seasons before they put G's theme up there.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Slam Masters sounds good. Rival Schools, too.

Oh, and Power Stone would be sweet, too.

I would be down with characters from those games, but they would obviously we melding the worlds. Hell, Rival Schools has always had ties to Street Fighter. I am actually surprised we haven't already received a Rival Schools character.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I would be down with characters from those games, but they would obviously we melding the worlds. Hell, Rival Schools has always had ties to Street Fighter. I am actually surprised we haven't already received a Rival Schools character.

Surely Slam Masters is part of the Final Fight/SF world. Isn't it?

Power Stone might not be but I could see a Power Stone character working in SFV.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Back when Sakura was added to the first one, she was more or less part of the universe though not directly involved in it. Then she was removed, and the series was officially considered separate from SF. After CvS2, they added Yun, Eagle, Maki and even Ingrid to Zero3, but not Kyosuke, because "he's from a different series and it would be like adding Morrigan to SF".

Though obviously most of the people involved with Capcom are not working there anymore, and they can decide to reverse the decision from 15 years ago. They probably should.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Back when Sakura was added to the first one, she was more or less part of the universe though not directly involved in it. Then she was removed, and the series was officially considered separate from SF. After CvS2, they added Yun, Eagle, Maki and even Ingrid to Zero3, but not Kyosuke, because "he's from a different series and it would be like adding Morrigan to SF".

Though obviously most of the people involved with Capcom are not working there anymore, and they can decide to reverse the decision from 15 years ago. They probably should.

That is interesting, as I remember one of the characters having learned their martial art from Dan Hibiki. That being said, that tidbit could have been added by the American side of Capcom.

It is strange to separate the worlds in the first place. They obviously work well together.

I assume, no matter what the previous logic was, that has to be gone now. I mean, we do have Rival Schools characters in a SFV stage.

Last edited:

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That is interesting, as I remember one of the characters having learned their martial art from Dan Hibiki. That being said, that tidbit could have been added by the American side of Capcom.

It is strange to separate the worlds in the first place. They obviously work well together.

I assume, no matter what the previous logic was, that has to be gone now. I mean, we do have Rival Schools characters in a SFV stage.
In the first game, Sakura was a friend of Hinata, though they went to different school and she was more like a pen-pal. Then she went away.
The game always had a ton references to other Capcom games. For example, you could go to a festival with a character, and you would be asked to take a plastic mask of either Dan or Gouki. You would gain or lose affinity points depending on whether the character was serious or a goofball.
There was also a fantastic event where Tiffany would ask you to pick a costume for some occasion that would "highlight her qualities" or something. If you select anything sexy, like sexy bikini or sexy Cammy outfit, you would lose points with her. The only good answer was "a giant Sasquatch costume", which highlights her fun-loving personality, of course!
If I recall correctly, the Iinchô started learning martial arts in Seishun Nikki2 by following Dan's method (the kind of "become a master in just 6 weeks!" kind of self-help books). In the Dreamcast game, when she became playable, she had shifted to Ken Master's method by following Hinata's advice, who's also following that method. That explained why her animations were so stiff (and why she was so bad): she's sticking to the lessons of the book very rigidly, in a very close-minded way, while Hinata just take inspirations from it and makes her own style.

So yeah, it was always messy. The reason to not add Kyôsuke to Zero3 never made sense.

Oct 25, 2017
I am also usually opposed to guests in SF of any sort, but KoF is kinda an exception to the rule because of the deep history the two series have. My only opposition to getting Kyo, Terry, Iori, etc. in SF is that it would set a bad precedent and we'd start to see random shit like Noctis or whatever in SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.