• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
Only four Jacks? Wow, that would be impressive if it weren't a 20 man tournament with round robin pools.

I'm not disputing Tekken's balance. I'm also not memeing. I didn't call the game Jacken-7, I said there was too much of the least interesting character in modern fighting games and I stand by that. Jack-7 likely featured in more rounds of gameplay than any single character will in Capcom Cup. At least Anakin's Jack isn't as fucking dull as Saint's.

And FYI, I fully expect Cammy to be nerfed and the mix of characters to change somewhat in the new season. We're supposed to be in Season 2 of Tekken 7 and I still kind of feel like I'm watching shit from fall 2017.

Well because it was a RR. The Jack offs dont bother as much as Cammy mirrors because there is a very apparent difference in playstyles for all of them.

That's the thing though. Changes aren't as gamechanging in Tekken compared to SFV which is why the character shuffling doesnt happen so often for players. I appreciate the consistency more than the constant switching that happens in SFV. And even without those repeated balance changes it still ends up with better cast representation. Having said that I'm still excited for CapCup was just a bit surprised by you comment considering what went down yesterday.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Guys....

pawg5dib

Just hit Platinum!

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
Littered? There was literally only 4 Jacks. Really 3.5 since Joey Fury uses Paul as well. The Jacken 7 meme is old hat lol. Tekken showcased way more character variety and tier variety than SFV ever has.
Out of the 32 players qualified for Capcom Cup there are 17 different characters and only 3 are Cammy so I don't understand how there is a lack of variety.

Edit: 4 Cammy's sorry.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Well because it was a RR. The Jack offs dont bother as much as Cammy mirrors because there is a very apparent difference in playstyles for all of them.

That's the thing though. Changes aren't as gamechanging in Tekken compared to SFV which is why the character shuffling doesnt happen so often for players. I appreciate the consistency more than the constant switching that happens in SFV. And even without those repeated balance changes it still ends up with better cast representation. Having said that I'm still excited for CapCup was just a bit surprised by you comment considering what went down yesterday.

Well I posted that during pools, not top-8, so obviously it's going to be a statement of how I was feeling during round robin. I'm not thrilled with that format overall, even if it does remove some variation to the results.

I don't appreciate the consistency of characters in T7 simply because I do not like the linear top-tiers of Tekken 7. The low point of T7, IMO, were the constant Saint-JDCR runbacks. I don't want to see Jack or, to a lesser extent, Dragunov any more. It's the same for Cammy and Guile but I have more faith in Capcom shaking things up post Capcom Cup. Just like I was sick of Balrog, and Chun Li/Mika before that.

I know there's a love-in for TWT, and honestly I am thrilled with that scenes growth and the new wave of developer support, but actually watching TWT was a mixed bag for me and I expect to enjoy Capcom Cup more.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Few things in SFV today
V trigger 2 urien while not as good as 1 is way more satisfying to use
Need to start using uiens other anti airs
I encountered a sakurai named " SakuraWaifu" , that person has a desire and an intent and they wanted to make that clear.
I found A chunli actually using the wedding outfit
I continue to be free to sim
I learned that people are calling Juri's V trigger 2 " The Succ "
Karin Dash throw fucks me up, and it might be the funniest animation sequence in this game

Eventful

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Baiken wouldn't give up!
Heh, don't worry. Just taking a short break now.

Question (to everyone): does play style influence your success in Bronze rank? I am currently playing Chunners and trying to do things slow and deliberately. Waiting for an opening and punish. But I just get beat up by all the Kens and Akumas going absolutely ham on me. Whereas last week I used Cammy and played very offensively, and I was doing a lot better.

Oct 25, 2017
I would say absolutely, but I got out of bronze when I started playing more defensively instead of going totally HAM. The most important thing is being able to handle the psycho ken and akuma players, be it by shutting them down with AA with they try to jump in or checking their dash in throws with lights and mediums, or just blocking wake up DP and having a nasty punish good to go.

Sometimes you will need more paitence than others. Kens love doing -2 shit into EX DP for example so you have to hold that block a little longer before reacting.

Dog

Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Play style definitely has an impact in bronze. If you feel more comfortable with the aggressive and speedy ways of Cammy I'd say switch back to her.

But it boils down to who you have a connection with character wise, sticking with someone because they are your favourite but maybe tough to win with is quite the journey, takes time to improve but boy is it worth it.

Keep us posted xD

Oct 25, 2017
I would say absolutely, but I got out of bronze when I started playing more defensively instead of going totally HAM. The most important thing is being able to handle the psycho ken and akuma players, be it by shutting them down with AA with they try to jump in or checking their dash in throws with lights and mediums, or just blocking wake up DP and having a nasty punish good to go.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Question (to everyone): does play style influence your success in Bronze rank? I am currently playing Chunners and trying to do things slow and deliberately. Waiting for an opening and punish. But I just get beat up by all the Kens and Akumas going absolutely ham on me. Whereas last week I used Cammy and played very offensively, and I was doing a lot better.
Play style has an impact on all levels of play. But, not only that, you can't just adhere to a specific style rigidly with no variation and hope it works out 100% of the time. You need to be flexible. You need to adjust based on the character you face, and the opponent you face.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Slowing down and learning how to anti air and poke got me from bronze to super silver and is still paying off.

There are people who know combos and shit but will still jump in and do mad unsafe shit

Learn to watch for it, and things get easy

Then you gotta learn how to adapt

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles

The answer to people going ham isn't to go ham in return, it's to punish them for going ham. It's one thing to slow yourself down and play deliberately, but the real goal is to make your opponent slow down and play deliberately. That means being sharp with your anti-airs and not letting anything unsafe go unpunished. Bait out those DPs when you know they are coming and hit them with your best crush counter punish so they think twice. And if they don't think twice, hit them with it again you got a KO.

Naarmight

Oct 27, 2017
Also at that level Akuma and Ken will always wake up DP, doubly so if they have meter, they may stop for a couple of wakeups if you keep punishing it, but they will slip straight back into it

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Season 4 = Only SF4

Seth
Elf
Rufus
Abel
Decapre
Viper (at the end of the year Late Nov 2019)

Hakan for free right before Evo

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing is repeatedly perfect meaty them when they don't have meter, as they can't invincible reversal they will eat shit. then the moment they get 1 bar of EX they'll be so agitated they'll ex dp 100% of the time to make it stop, so block their next wakeup. EZ win

mujun

Nov 1, 2017

In my case (and to be clear, I suck), I do better when I play offensively and use characters that allow me to do that. I like to be on the offensive pretty much all the time. I'm usually poking at medium range and trying to create opportunities to get in. Having a command throw really helps. I need that option to open up people who have strong defence.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Thanks for all the answers, guys. I won't respond to everyone individually, but I will definitely keep the advice in mind.

As for tonight, I switched back to Kolin after my last post and played a few more matches. I was able to at least salvage some of the LP I lost.

Alex2DX

Nov 6, 2017
How is Nash considered bad? Man, I really struggle in that matchup. His dash, his booms, his buttons, those flips to get in. All seems good.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
How is Nash considered bad? Man, I really struggle in that matchup. His dash, his booms, his buttons, those flips to get in. All seems good.

Well, it all started in S2 when people out cried that Nash's dash speed is bad when in fact his 19f still gave him good Oki after a knock down. He had a good 4f punish off of his light scythe.

And then his "buff" for his dash came out and he lost his knock down pressure. He can't dash after his light scythe anymore so he now has to play defense. he has no defense so you have to relay on spacing booms and trying not to back dash yourself into the corner. The only way to go back into the offensive is to bet it on a medium scythe and a lot can go wrong there.

Also he has no 3f light normal, he has no invincible reversal, his throw invincible v trigger can still be thrown on a delay throw and his hurtbox trails when doing his "Nothing Personal". So if you have too good of a reaction on to punish fireballs, your "Nothing Personal" will get punished from the front.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017

Sometimes you will need more paitence than others. Kens love doing -2 shit into EX DP for example so you have to hold that block a little longer before reacting.
  • Anti-Airs
  • Blocking/patience/not mashing buttons
  • An easy BnB combo you can do in neutral
  • An easy punish combo when your opponent screws up
The above will easily carry you to Ultra Bronze/Silver. I will say with experience people still fall for the "-2 into EX" trick even up until the Platinum ranks, so learning to play with patience will serve you well.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Holy shit, I was doing some volume 3 trials that I had neglected to do, and I 100% completely forgot that Necalli VT1 has a new charge like move. I literally have never seen it used in a real match.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What if the reason they were so light on stages this year was because they're planning on debuting several new ones (that will actually be usable this time) in Story Mode 2...

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

As a fellow bronze player who doesn't play nearly enough I can say the biggest thing that causes me to lose or win is defense. You have to be able to block to move ahead. Knowing how to anti air helps as well because SFV opens you up bad if you get hit by a jump in. With any character , know what button is a good poke. I well and truly believe that being able to block will eventually get anyone using any character at least 1000 LP , knowing how to anti air might even get you to 1500 LP , beyond that better spacing and less buttons.

All of the above can be disregarded if you play Ken or Laura especially , you can get away with going ham with either of them and probably get to 1500 LP but then most opponents will shut you down hard at that point. Fighting Akuma is tough for anyone at any level because a lot of his buttons are safe , sometimes it looks like you can hit him but in fact you can't. Bronze level Kens are probably just doing heavy tatsu into DP and you can block those and punish. With Chun I'm not sure what the best option to use FOR a punish is but yeah... blocking.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017

Eventually the other player will end their turn on their own. Especially at that level. If you want to play in a more slow manner it requires you to know when your opponent is minus and punishable. Lots of the random tatsus, runs and flips are punishable on block and in reaction. It requires a bit of game knowledge to know whereas with a more offensive style you force your opponent to make mistakes more clearly as you probably score tons of counter hits with Cammy when you're playing offensively with her.
There's also a lack of automaticity with certain actions like anti-airs and walking forward that can hamper your ability to pressure your opponent and control space when trying to play in a slower more deliberate manner.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Cammy's B.MP is the worst AA in the game. It's biggest problem is that it's a 4f medium rather than being a good AA. It's only good against bad jump ins or jump ins with a poor hitbox, otherwise it trades and can't AA Cross ups.

Then you look at Mika's Cr.MP, a 7f start up, it beats good Jump ins, beats cross up and is used all the time to bait a jump after a normal throw. And this is true for most of the cast except for Cammy who can only rely on using her DP as an anti air

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Poor Cammy. Needs buffs tbh.

She really does. At least Vega has invincibility on his V-Reversal, but Cammy has nothing. You're force into a situation where V-Reversal would work for other characters.

Then her Cr.MK only having a hitbox up to her ankles and being whiffed punishing by CC moves that can be VTC. She doesn't have a CC that can be used in Neutral. Her only reliance of going into offense is getting Cr.MK to connect and cancel into Spiral Arrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.