• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Well can't say they didn't try to make FGC esports a thing.

When the main game is ran so badly, I can't blame the sponsors for jumping ship...

Also FUUUUUCK that Guile controller shit. Like, really?!

It reminds me of the fuckery a few years ago when that Viper player in mvc3 was killing it using his modded stick, then they banned that shit outright while actual commentators like James Chen where commending top players using modded sticks to help them plink better in sf4.

Top player ass privilege.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Have you really not had a moment in this game where you've guessed wrong several times in a match? Because I find that hard to believe. It's easier to judge things from the outside looking in rather than actually doing something in the heat of the moment.

Of course I have. I just thought that by asking that question I'd get a technical breakdown (I assumed that there was something I was missing as a player of low skill) of what happened rather than a bunch of witty quips at my expense.

My bad. I'll try to stick to lurking like I usually do.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
lol, fighting games as esports.

Yeah, kind of starting to see the writing on the wall for this. I'm sure the best of the best can continue to compete on their own dime because they've won a considerable amount of money but what about the potential new stars coming up? They cant even dream of doing this without sponsors footing the bill for travel.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I've been warming up each night with casual matches where I just focus on neutral. No jumping, no crush counter combos, no command throws, or raw specials. Just whiff punishes, throw teching, anti-airs, blocking. I lose most matches, but I tend to draw the rounds out, even getting some time outs.

I'm learning it's the most troll shit you can do in SFV. People don't know what to do. They don't give no runbacks. They hate it.

I love it.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
Fighting games don't have the player base or overall viewership. I don't know these sponsors are expecting. They need to grow the scene.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've been warming up each night with casual matches where I just focus on neutral. No jumping, no crush counter combos, no command throws, or raw specials. Just whiff punishes, throw teching, anti-airs, blocking. I lose most matches, but I tend to draw the rounds out, even getting some time outs.

I'm learning it's the most troll shit you can do in SFV. People don't know what to do. They don't give no runbacks. They hate it.

I love it.
You should play a control character. This is 50% of the reason why I play Menat.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
While on topic, decided to try some more of Menat's trials. Understanding her VT1 somewhat better now, no idea if VT2 is actually a viable alternative since I never see any tourney players use it.

Oct 28, 2017
Denmark
Sponsors jumping ship from fighting game Esports?

cGHh5Be.png

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

In summary the game focus to much on frame data and offensive pressure with lack luster neutral.

Karin is a frustrating to fight. She has her St.LK, it got nerfed in S2 but that means nothing if DPs got nerfed and it being 2f gap frame trap, you can't challenge it.

That's the SFV's Offense > Defense

Kolin's St.HP. I remember the leaks about her that she has stubby normals but her St.HP is once of the best heavy normals in the game and that's without VT2. You can't challenge it because her hurtbox doesn't expand forward until the activation frames.If you try to challenge it with a Cr.MK that can buffer into a special it's going to whiff and her St.hp will whiff punish and cancel into daggers. So you gotta challenge it with your longest poke which mostly likely can't be canceled and still be whiffed punished if they delay the St.HP.

That's SFV's neutral.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This Monday Capcom will announce their Q3 FY2018 Financial Results.

So if we're lucky (it isn't very likely) they may mention some SFVAE/SF 30th Anniversary Collection/Capcom Beat 'em up Bundle results or (even less likely) announce some new SFV S4 plans or something related to the arcade release, like some new feature, content or game mode added to the console/PC version that they could include in the upcoming weeks.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Meanwhile Xian is the embodiment of Razer.

This is why FGC needs to jump on to PC. More sponsorship opportunity. I can't think of any company other than Redbull that also holds tournaments.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Developers needs to play their part. Add native support to wide variety of controllers and sticks. And add Linux support ffs.

I mean Dude we all watched that China tournament right? I'm not sure I can sit through that type of bumblefucks again because people thought PC's were good for the tourney. There is alot of Fiddling that has to be done on PC that just isn't there for Consoles or Arcade Cabinets so I doubt PC will ever really be the main venue for Fighting Games.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wise words from Valle
Developers needs to play their part. Add native support to wide variety of controllers and sticks. And add Linux support ffs.
I agree the controllers and sticks parts. But Linux is like 1% of the sales for many games and traditionally is very problematic with compatibility and other issues, so developers frequently skip it because of that.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I agree the controllers and sticks parts. But Linux is like 1% of the sales for many games and traditionally is very problematic with compatibility and other issues, so developers frequently skip it because of that.

And Valve is trying to fix this with Steam play.
Tekken 7 runs ok but that depends how the driver supports are on Linux

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
I just uninstalled the game for the first time since launch.
With the weekly FM rewards now not even enough to play the costume battles, and no season 4 news on the horizon, I'm finding little motivation to play so freeing up some space for other games.
I hope they make some changes that will bring me back in at some point.

SecretCharacter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Colorado Springs, CO
I just uninstalled the game for the first time since launch.
With the weekly FM rewards now not even enough to play the costume battles, and no season 4 news on the horizon, I'm finding little motivation to play so freeing up some space for other games.
I hope they make some changes that will bring me back in at some point.
This is me at this point. I've basically stopped playing weekly. The new season changes don't feel significant to the characters I play and without the carrot of weekly FM, I'm not going to be putting as much effort in.
Also, it was getting real tiresome playing an almost endless stream of Kage and Ken for a while.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Anyone else find this weirdly nostalgic? I mean, it's only been about a year since AE came out and replaced this track. I definitely prefer this older one.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
HiFight gave a really nice breakdown of the Tokido vs Daigo match on Street Fighter League yesterday:

Yesterday's Street Fighter League match is archived here:
https://www.openrec.tv/live/e5rkd56m48v

Need to register an account first though.

The site was clever enough to change the interface language settings to English automatically for me.
Must be because it detected that my IP address was from outside of Japan.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate could keep up with the other esports, unlike most fighters it has the as high a player base as any of the big guns. It's not even really pushed by Nintendo either.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate could keep up with the other esports, unlike most fighters it has the as high a player base as any of the big guns. It's not even really pushed by Nintendo either.
If it's not pushed by Nintendo, how is it going to compete with the other eSports? The money invested won't be close to the likes of Dota 2 or StarCraft II.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, i meant in terms of potential because the eyes and player base is there

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
sorry, i meant in terms of potential because the eyes and player base is there
That makes sense, but then we look at FighterZ and we see there's a lot more to the success of an eSport, too.
Eliminate the bring your own controller aspect. It would suck for many players, but would resolve many issues with sticks and pads not working.
What about people who play on hitbox controllers? What about people who play on pianos or guitars? It doesn't make sense; there is no standardized equipment. Same goes for actual sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.