• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
That makes sense, but then we look at FighterZ and we see there's a lot more to the success of an eSport, too.

What about people who play on hitbox controllers? What about people who play on pianos or guitars? It doesn't make sense; there is no standardized equipment. Same goes for actual sports.
It's a bad solution, but the only way to eliminate many of the controller issues that pop up around running FGC events on PC. Like I said it sucks, but gets rid of a lot of headaches. It will likely never happen.

Also, while pro sports don't have totally standardized equipment there are standards they have to meet. Like full body swimsuits being banned for awhile in professional swimming and debates over banningnew shoes that could give an advantage in track and field that pop up from time to time.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Short of maybe Arcade games, I've never heard of competitive games forcing a standard on what peripheral/input method you can use.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There have been some interesting recent activity in the SFV Steam QA servers.

This week tey updated them, they added a couple of DLC, made a depot "shared install" (not sure what this means, probably means that the new upgdate is going to be a full app update instead of updating only inside the game. Probably the case since next month the arcade version is going to be released and they may need to make some internal changes to support it) and 12 hours ago they hided and then restored the achievements:
https://steamdb.info/app/310950/history/

Not sure if it's normal to work during weekends in Japan, or if it means that they are crunching due to an upcoming milestone or release (like the arcade version release or an important game update).

Before these 2 DLC recently added, the most recently DLC was added back in January 16th. I assume it was the Resident Evil Costumes bundle.
Eliminate the bring your own controller aspect. It would suck for many players, but would resolve many issues with sticks and pads not working.
It's a bad solution, but the only way to eliminate many of the controller issues that pop up around running FGC events on PC. Like I said it sucks, but gets rid of a lot of headaches. It will likely never happen.

Also, while pro sports don't have totally standardized equipment there are standards they have to meet. Like full body swimsuits being banned for awhile in professional swimming and debates over banningnew shoes that could give an advantage in track and field that pop up from time to time.
Even custom or upgraded gamepads or arcade sticks may have faster input lag or hide recorded input sequences like for certain very complicated combos. Obviously many players won't like it, but maybe it's safer and more fair to ban them.

That makes sense, but then we look at FighterZ and we see there's a lot more to the success of an eSport, too.
As I remember FighterZ had some more entrants than SFV at EVO (2575 entrants vs 2484)
https://www.twingalaxies.com/feed_details.php/2372/evo-2018-registration-numbers/15

Regarding Twitch viewship, DBZ also beat SFV at Evo by a bit and its finals also beat Capcom Cup by a bit but outside that and the launch peak common for many games SFV had a more consistent lead in Twitch viewship over DBZ across the last year.

HZqBd48.png

Outside that, is there any other evidence that DBZ is having a great success in eSports? For what I know SFV has bigger prize pools and more tournaments, and recently they even cancelled some DBZ due to unknown reasons (probably licensing related).

Last edited:

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
When does the arcade version release? Before or after Evo?

I assume they'll need that full game patch to sync them up.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
With the ability to transfer your account between Type Arcade and the PS4 version. Would this give any hint that BB/PP would make a return? I saw Bonchan's account having PP playing Type Arcade.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I've been warming up each night with casual matches where I just focus on neutral. No jumping, no crush counter combos, no command throws, or raw specials. Just whiff punishes, throw teching, anti-airs, blocking. I lose most matches, but I tend to draw the rounds out, even getting some time outs.

I'm learning it's the most troll shit you can do in SFV. People don't know what to do. They don't give no runbacks. They hate it.

I love it.

Justin Wong has some words for you JusDoIt:

Last edited:

Rice Eater

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday I was chit chatting with fellow Akuma player in the Akuma discord. He was struggling to make Platinum for a long time but then he finally made it last night. He felt pretty happy and decided to ask me for some sets before he called it a night which I'm down with. That 1st set was a wake up call to me lol. He beats me 5-3 and my ego is kind of bruised. I'm Super Diamond and though I didn't expect him to be free, I never expected to lose a longer set either.

We run it back two more times and I win 5-1 each but by the end I realize I'm really not that much better than him in most regard. The big difference is that I have good AA and he doesn't. So while he was trying so hard to find ways to beat me without jumping, I was jumping all over the place on him. I'm sure I'm not the only one who looks at ranks and think this person should beat this other person as long as they're legitimately in that rank, because that's what I did with him and I paid the price for it.

One other thing I still can't get over with him. He can't AA DP, but he has godlike reactions to my fireball and could punish with Akuma's MK tatsu. At first I thought he was just doing it randomly, but the more I threw fireballs I realized he could legit react and punish me for it. I have no idea why he struggled so hard to reach Platinum but I felt like if the dude had a AA game he'd probably be in Diamond for sure.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
With the ability to transfer your account between Type Arcade and the PS4 version. Would this give any hint that BB/PP would make a return? I saw Bonchan's account having PP playing Type Arcade.

I would love to see that happen. I really don't like an overall ranking as I'm way, way worse with most characters other than one or two, and it messes up matchmaking. It discourages experimentation with multiple characters and encourages creating multiple accounts, which hurts Capcom in the long run if people get their free characters that way. It really seemed like poor planning by Capcom.

Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
There comes a point where ranks are really just about how much you've grinded/how familiar you are with certain matchups rather than actual skill. I'd say super gold/ultra gold is the place where most people online are relatively competent. I've seen UGM players on steam get obliterated by people in gold/plat numerous times.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
That puts me in a much higher percentile than i thought i was. It also maybe says something about whatever component of matchmaking is based on league that maybe having 4 delineations within the top 1% is not as important as adding some more break points for the bottom 38%.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
The only issue with those population graphs is it includes inactive accounts. A breakdown of the player population active within the last three months or so would give a more accurate breakdown of the current player population.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When does the arcade version release? Before or after Evo?

I assume they'll need that full game patch to sync them up.
It releases this March. So maximum a month aprox. we should get an update prepare the PC &PS4 versions of the game to make them compatible with this version.

We have Evo Japan in the middle so it would be a good oppprtunity to have a cool game update ready for that event. I saw this Saturday they uploaded internal stuff for the Steam version, which means there is someone working on it even during weekends.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It releases this March. So maximum a month aprox. we should get an update prepare the PC &PS4 versions of the game to make them compatible with this version.

We have Evo Japan in the middle so it would be a good oppprtunity to have a cool game update ready for that event. I saw this Saturday they uploaded internal stuff for the Steam version, which means there is someone working on it even during weekends.
I didn't realize we had a hard release date. Now the random update w/ the achievements make more sense.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As you may remember I recently mentioned they internally added Jan 30th two SFV DLC to Steam so I thought they may be released very soon. Not DLCs like a game update, a new character or a new stage. In this particular case, I'm talking about the DLCs you see in the Steam or PSN stores, like costume or stage bundles, game OST, season pass or CPT bundles.

But after investigating the upload date and release dates of all previous DLC, I see that is very unlikely that they may be released soon. Instead now I think they are more likely to be released (just a guess) around March or April, but it's hard to make a prediction because the times vary a lot for each group of DLCs uploaded at the same time.

For the 18 already released DLCs uploaded to steam servers after the SFVAE release they spent an average of 67.5 days between their first upload/creating and their release date. The fastest took 24 days and the slowest took 161 days. 6 of them, including the recently uploaded, remain unreleased.

For the 16 already released DLCs that were uploaded/created between the SFV and SFVAE releases, needed an average of 133 days to be released. The fastest were released the same day they were uploaded, the slowest took 519 days. 3 of them remain unreleased.

P.S.: When I say "uploaded" I mean that they created a Steam app for this DLC that later may be updated adding content and data. Until they are released they use this "SteamDB Unknown App" placeholder name to keep its content secret. I don't have info about their content and can't datamine them because they are unpurchased DLC so I can't download it.

HZyM7eZ.png

For each DLC you can watch their story of upload and changes using this URL https://steamdb.info/app/989970/history/ and replacing the number for the "Steam DLC code" mentioned in the table.

I got the list of DLCs from here, where you have a list of changes for the whole Steam SFV game, that also includes these DLCs. Notice that from time to time they mention
"Changed ListOfDLC – 425110,439410,444680,444700,462010,475230,480520,480530,480540,480550,590750,691300,700850,700851,750310,780660,789460,789461,789462,807290,807400,807401,863180,863181,863182,893320,893321,906440,971240,971241,971242,971243,971250,971251,971252,971260,984950,989970,995950,1009400,1017120,1025060,1025061".

Text in green means they added it in this entry, text in red means they removed it.

Next thing I'll investigate will be the SFV app itself, the time spend between each time they release a new version to their QA servers for testing and a new game. Hopefully, if the follow a fixed patter may help us know when can we expect the next game update.

I didn't realize we had a hard release date. Now the random update w/ the achievements make more sense.
I saw it here, we know it should be released during "March 2019". http://www.arcadebelgium.net/t6052-street-fighter-v-type-arcade#35107

Last edited:

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Capcom Q3 FY2018 results ("Continuing from Q2, highest profit levels in Capcom history"):
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e190204b.html
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/result/2018/3rd/result_2018_3rd_01.pdf
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/review.html
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/profit.html#rank02_area
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2018/3rd/explanation_2018_3rd_01.pdf
TLDR: Specially due to MHW success and overall good performance they are getting the best income and profits in Capcom history.

Regarding Street Fighter they mention:
  • They mention that Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection "performed strongly" in a place and "performed well thanks to a dedicated fan base and strong brand power" in another.
  • They mention that released Resident Evil and Street Fighter V pachinkos and they struggled.
  • "Meanwhile, esports, which was featured as a demonstration event at the 2018 Asian Games last year, continued to increase in popularity around Japan with the start of league matches and the launch of pro teams domestically in an effort to expand the fan base."
  • Held the Capcom Cup, the world championship tournament capping the Capcom Pro Tour, in the US in December 2018. Online maximum concurrent viewers exceeded 100 thousand people
  • Held the Capcom Pro Tour Japan Premiere in September 2018. Attracted more than 3,700 spectators, resulting in the largest tournament at the Tokyo Game Show compared to other tournaments held that day
  • Plan to run the Capcom Street Fighter League powered by RAGE from February through March domestically in Japan
  • Announced the Street Fighter Pro League – USA, which will run in the US starting April 2019
  • Considering various possibilities for eSports, including holding regional league tournaments
Not clear if they are including SFV here but they also mention "In addition, high-margin catalog titles steadily increased sales and 3 contributed to improving profitability" and "Signifiant unit sales growth driven by catalog sales, including releases and major titles from the previous year". Catalog titles are the ones released in previous fiscal years, so both SFV and SFAE are catalog titles (but obviously as main examples they mention MHW and RE7).

They didn't update their Platinums Title page today (expect it for February 11th or 12th, they traditionally wait for a week after they release quarter reports), so we don't know of SFV, SFVAE, SF30th AC, Capcom Beat 'Em Up Bundle. The numbers posted on that page are still from September 30th.

I like the art at the bottom. The poster with Sakura in the middle. Shinkiro art, right?
Yes, this one is made by Shinkiro. The other one is made by Bengus (a.k.a. CRMK).

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Controller support through Steam overlay is actually pretty great. You can use X360, Xbone, PS3, PS4 and Switch controllers, hot swap on the fly, change controller order and everything. Problem is every other SFV update will mess with something or Win10's own overlay gets in the way.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I've been through several controllers. F310 wire detached, first 360 controller being a defect and the right trigger spring breaking on my second one. Sixaxis is a shit controller and my DS3 can't properly do a half circle forward.

And I though I finally settled with
Ds4 v2, but then the right dpad can't double tap properly a week after Kage came out.

So I have to settle with the shitty sixaxis controller.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
There comes a point where ranks are really just about how much you've grinded/how familiar you are with certain matchups rather than actual skill. I'd say super gold/ultra gold is the place where most people online are relatively competent. I've seen UGM players on steam get obliterated by people in gold/plat numerous times.

I'm 300 points away from reaching Gold and achieving semi-competence. I just hope I can make it before my attention gets pulled away due to Dead or Alive 6....

At the very least, I should be able to hit Gold by end of 2019.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Do they have charts for other months? i want to see how much the casual user base has stop playing since they got rid of weekly 2500FM missions..

That chart is total population* only, it doesn't tell you what percentage of those 984,043 unique accounts are inactive.

Edit: Ranked population. All accounts that are 0LP share the same 984,043 rank. IIRC someone on r/SF dug up through CFN data that there are currently ~3.1 million unique accounts.

rude

Oct 25, 2017

Urien and Bison not being at the very top...aren't there like 8 million Bison and Urien players ranked above diamond

Oct 25, 2017
Bison doesn't carry players is the biggest belly laugh I've had in a long time, Lmao.

Especially putting him in the same tier as menat and juri. Bison has so much fucking easy to execute bullshit.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That chart is total population* only, it doesn't tell you what percentage of those 984,043 unique accounts are inactive.

Edit: Ranked population. All accounts that are 0LP share the same 984,043 rank. IIRC someone on r/SF dug up through CFN data that there are currently ~3.1 million unique accounts.
Doing some numbers with the percentage of Steam and PS4 players that played 10 online battles (data from trophies) I just estimated that SFV+SFVAE sold around 3.1M/3.2M copies:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...hw-sales-is-now-11m-units.97552/post-17588249

Can you please share the r/SF link? I'm interested to investigate it.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
Alex in the middle row seems strange. The closest thing he has to consistent robbery is VT1, and even that's a stretch.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Urien and Bison not being at the very top...aren't there like 8 million Bison and Urien players ranked above diamond
Online is different. The reasons characters like Balrog, Urien, or Bison have high win percentages on CFN is because of movesets that rely on high reward for things that are difficult to react to. With lag, the potency of many of their tools increase.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Doing some numbers with the percentage of Steam and PS4 players that played 10 online battles (data from trophies) I just estimated that SFV+SFVAE sold around 3.1M/3.2M copies:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ca...hw-sales-is-now-11m-units.97552/post-17588249

Can you please share the r/SF link? I'm interested to investigate it.

Yeah, here is the post: https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/amrrhe/sfv_player_distribution_for_s4/efoww8h

With wireshark on the PC you can see the row count when loading the ranking page.

"[{"currentpage":"1","tookUsec":"66696","totalpage":"74209","totalrows":"3710432","searchtype":"none","sortdir":"a","sorttype":""}]}]}

According to that row, CFN has records of 3,710,432 unique accounts.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Akuma only in the middle for carrying players? Yeah, no. Ken sure as hell doesn't get to be all the way down there with him making up at least 3/4 of the players I run into, and even Ryu would at least be in the middle now.

And yes, Bison being all the way down there is a complete load of crap with how much of a pain in the ass he is relative to the actual effort involved.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Online is different. The reasons characters like Balrog, Urien, or Bison have high win percentages on CFN is because of movesets that rely on high reward for things that are difficult to react to. With lag, the potency of many of their tools increase.
I wasn't even thinking about offline play at all when I saw the chart, so yeah.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Last edited:

rude

Oct 25, 2017
It was a mistake to make those games "arcade perfect" between the button nonsense (which is why I've only put 10 hours in so far) and no Alpha 3 Max.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm glad about the Capcom SF (and MM?) collections doing well considering the lack of care and quality of life features. They really sell based on them being rom collections alone. SF missing a modern-era button config was awful.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I'm surprised the SF collection sold that well considering how often people like to criticize the Street Fighter brand as a whole. (Some criticism is deserved by some trolls take it too far.)

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hope is that they don't make a new Vampire collection... but just take the one on PS2 and port it without changing anything to it.
Don't fuck up, Capcom. Don't start over something you managed to get right already once.

SethSeries

Dec 16, 2018
In regards to UGMs losing to gold, etc, I think it's kinda important to remember that after a certain point, a lot of players fall into a mindset of "this is how you're supposed to play". I work with a coaching server and one of the things I see a lot when we have folk from rookie to gold train exclusively with diamond up is that they get conditioned to a certain style of the game then get steamrolled by wild. I can understand that happening to higher level folk running setplay.exe who dont adapt quick enough.

Actinium

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
California
I've reached the stage of a season where I tank my lp trying to make zoners and charge characters work for me in record time. Announce something, Capcom, anything.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
It was a mistake to make those games "arcade perfect" between the button nonsense (which is why I've only put 10 hours in so far) and no Alpha 3 Max.

This a cold take. The button macros are an issue, but having rare SF games like ST, Alpha 2, and Second Impact on consoles is way better than getting some janky ass version of Alpha 3 with Ingrid in it. You got the real Alpha 3 already.

Justin Wong has some words for you JusDoIt:

I'm trying to convert to the church of lame now. I'm playing the exact wrong character for it, and I'm from the region whose philosophy is RTSD, but I'm embracing lameness in 2019.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No thank you, the existing one on PS360 is near perfect.
No original Vampire, no version select, no dip switches to fiddle with each patch, and no Dee, though. We need the PS2 version for preservation purposes (Also, Hunter2 Arrange had some interesting modifications for giggles).
Ideally, it should be a collection of all the collections, with all the stuff from the PS2 version, plus the Chaos Tower and the stupid "what if" versions from the Matching Service version.
But with our luck it's just going to be "Savior1 with online and some ugly filters".

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I was going to say something about that Decapre troll

But 21 being deported back to the UK is a good enough trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.