• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
This a cold take. The button macros are an issue, but having rare SF games like ST, Alpha 2, and Second Impact on consoles is way better than getting some janky ass version of Alpha 3 with Ingrid in it. You got the real Alpha 3 already.

I'm trying to convert to the church of lame now. I'm playing the exact wrong character for it, and I'm from the region whose philosophy is RTSD, but I'm embracing lameness in 2019.
They could've included multiple versions of certain games is my point. Restricting the collection to JUST arcade titles was like...objectively bad and I don't see how you could even disagree. And I liked using Yun and Maki in Alpha 3.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm just now realizing that Evo Japan is happening the same weekend that SFV turns 3 years old.

SFV released 02/16/16. Evo Japan is 02/15-02/17. I think the event ends on the 16th for those of us in the West (finals should start around 4 PM PST that Saturday). If we don't get a huge update then ain't none coming ever.

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just now realizing that Evo Japan is happening the same weekend that SFV turns 3 years old.

SFV released 02/16/16. Evo Japan is 02/15-02/17. I think the event ends on the 16th for those of us in the West (finals should start around 4 PM PST that Saturday). If we don't get a huge update then ain't none coming ever.
With Type Arcade in March suddenly the weird silence makes a lot more sense because they're effectively relaunching the game in Japan and are focused on that.

I'm guessing EVO Japan has a character, and one will follow in March for the Type Arcade launch.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Are Capcom even going to Evo Japan?

229354-yoshi.jpg

rude

Oct 25, 2017
What if they launched every remaining new character this season has in March for the arcade launch...can you imagine being able to play Rufus, T. Hawk, Seth, El fuerte and Violent Ken in just a few weeks?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What if they launched every remaining new character this season has in March for the arcade launch...can you imagine being able to play Rufus, T. Hawk, Seth, El fuerte and Violent Ken in just a few weeks?
1 in Feb, 4 for Arcade release.. .actually might make sense.

Getting to play El Fuerte would not counterbalance Rufus and Seth though. :(

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We all know Hawk is a popular character, but even his popularity might not be enough to balance the terribleness of the other 4? They'll have to make him even more awesome than he already is.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking without the personal lens, SFV's roster feels better in terms of character choice than 4 does. But unfortunately for me, 4 has more characters I actually like to play.

When's Fei Long/Decapre/Yun/Viper
What's wrong with T. Hawk?
Boring and plain SF2 character like Dee Jay and Honda. They belong in the dumpster.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speaking without the personal lens, SFV's roster feels better in terms of character choice than 4 does. But unfortunately for me, 4 has more characters I actually like to play.

Boring and plain SF2 character like Dee Jay and Honda. They belong in the dumpster.
I suspect Dan/Decapre are coming as a pair either just before or with Super SFV. (S5) They're both clones (Kage->Dan, Cammy->Decapre) and both tied into G's future storyline. Dan with the tease at the end of G's ending, Decapre with the Female G concept art.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017

Personal taste and all that, I guess. I love Dee Jay and like Honda and Hawk.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think SFV's roster and overall movesets are top tier to be honest.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are Capcom even going to Evo Japan?
Capcom turns 35 years old in 2019 (and Final Fight 30) and is pushing eSports through SFV specially in Japan, SFV is releasing its arcade version a few weeks after it, turns 3 years old during the event, the game wouldn't have received a new character in like 2 months, still have to reveal S4 stuff and has the biggest participation in the event doubling the one of the 2d game (Tekken 7):
https://evo.challonge.com/es/events/evojapan2019/tournaments

Not sure if they go, but there are many reasons to think they may be there and/or in the grand finals of their own Japanese Street Fighter League (I think they will be in early/mid March).

With Type Arcade in March suddenly the weird silence makes a lot more sense because they're effectively relaunching the game in Japan and are focused on that.

I'm guessing EVO Japan has a character, and one will follow in March for the Type Arcade launch.
Yep, but maybe they have been silent these weeks just because the team has been busy working on the arcade version release.
No original Vampire, no version select, no dip switches to fiddle with each patch, and no Dee, though. We need the PS2 version for preservation purposes (Also, Hunter2 Arrange had some interesting modifications for giggles).
Ideally, it should be a collection of all the collections, with all the stuff from the PS2 version, plus the Chaos Tower and the stupid "what if" versions from the Matching Service version.
But with our luck it's just going to be "Savior1 with online and some ugly filters".
I'd rather have a new game mixing all characters (including secret ones and special from console versions) featuring all their versions in a Hyper SF2 way, all the stages and arcade endings from all games with SFV-like paths in addition to all the extra modes and EX options/dip switches that only specific versions/ports from the different (Japanese) games had: Vampire, Vampire Hunter, Vampire Hunter 2, Vampire Savior, Vampire Savior 2, Vampire Chronicle: The Chaos Tower.

Add on top an insane gallery with all the artwork from all games, trophies, some new game modes from SFA3 like Survival or Time Attack and a proper online, that having a single game would be easier to handle and concentrate the userbase (make it multiplatform publishing it everywhere and with total crossplay) instead of spreading it through the different games of the compilation and keeping some of them without online or split their online per platform.

Was he even there last year?
Last year Evo Japan was in January, only a month after Capcom Cup where they announced all the Season 3 characters and like a couple of weeks after SFVAE release. So they didn't have anything to announce and was time to rest after a big release.

Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Dan/Decapre are coming as a pair either just before or with Super SFV. (S5) They're both clones (Kage->Dan, Cammy->Decapre) and both tied into G's future storyline. Dan with the tease at the end of G's ending, Decapre with the Female G concept art.

Getting Dan would make me very, very happy. However, I suspect they were going to make Dan, but got cold feet and changed him into Kage at some point in development. Which is the worst downgrade in the history of downgrades. I think the Dan dream is dead.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I'm glad about the Capcom SF (and MM?) collections doing well considering the lack of care and quality of life features. They really sell based on them being rom collections alone. SF missing a modern-era button config was awful.

I think people should be glad they're selling well, it makes Capcom more likely to spend the time/resources to patch in QoL changes or at the very least more likely to include those requested features in future compilations.

I'm trying to convert to the church of lame now. I'm playing the exact wrong character for it, and I'm from the region whose philosophy is RTSD, but I'm embracing lameness in 2019.

I think you could make a lame play Laura work. There's a guy I fight occasionally in casuals who plays a really good defensive Ken.

That Justin Wong video came at a good time for me, I've been trying to improve my neutral game for the past few weeks. I've made it to Platinum, but the gimmicks that worked in Gold/Platinum are tough to pull off against Super Platinum players and are no-sells to the Diamond+ players I've fought on Battle Lounge.

It's been tough slowing myself down and focusing more on the ground neutral game. My Last-100 win rate dropped by 20%, which probably indicates how much I've been winning due only to my opponents having a weak AA game. Still I think I'm improving. I've noticed I'm getting better at reading when my opponents are getting ready to throw out a limb so I'm not just throwing random pokes out hoping for the best.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I think people should be glad they're selling well, it makes Capcom more likely to spend the time/resources to patch in QoL changes or at the very least more likely to include those requested features in future compilations.

I disagree. Stop rewarding poor effort. These should be in already and they should know by now what sort of QoL/accessibility features should be in an SF game. These shouldn't have massive input lag (MM) either. SF is a flagship series, but they seem to think handing the roms off to a dev to a slap in a shoddy wrapper is good enough. This SF should be the ultimate collection version. When's the next one gonna be?

They had many years to learn and know better. There were similar complaints about MvC2 which had an awful button config for pad players. It was from an iteration of the same dev as SF30. MvC2 sold well on its existence alone, but people still shared their complaints. They had the success and feedback, but didn't listn and/or learn.

It's baffling to me they were porting to the Switch and have no reasonable button config for it given how already compact and awkward it could be. They only had to look back at the PS1 and PSP versions which actually had super robust options.

Also, they just don't patch in core UI/QoL changes in these complations like re-done button configs after launch as it's outside the scope of the initial project. I got an answer to that effect on Capcom's board back around MvC2 from a dev when it was missing basic pad remap options. These collections are ideally one and done to them.

Lack of/poor button configs are a huge pet peeve of mine if you can't tell :p
I've been meaning to do a general thread about them but it would be long and I haven't gotten around to it.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Lame Laura are some of the worst. Her Charged/EX Fireball allows her to push forward, she becomes wall because you can't just jump on her. You can't zone her with fireballs either because can clip you with EX Shoulder from fullscreen

What makes her less of a grappler than Laura? Not saying you're wrong, but I wanna know the argument.
Her grab really isn't a proper command throw like Abel and Zangief. You might as well categorize Vegas as a grappler as well.

Last edited:

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
I dream of a world in which capcom launches a fighting game with as much polish and care that Apex Legends was launched with.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
The Guile players completely died off. There are a few Cammy players here and there, but certainly not as many as before. It's interesting.

If only the same could happen to Akuma.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a single Menat since S4 started. Anyone still using her? I wonder if it's worth picking her up as it seems no one is practicing against her now.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen a single Menat since S4 started. Anyone still using her? I wonder if it's worth picking her up as it seems no one is practicing against her now.
Menat is the hardest character to play effectively in this game. She's not a character you can simply pick up for that purpose, unless you invest a ton of time into it.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
The Guile players completely died off. There are a few Cammy players here and there, but certainly not as many as before. It's interesting.

If only the same could happen to Akuma.
I thought it was over for Cammy at the beginning of the season, but she really still has her own bullshit. A character with those buttons is never going to be weak. She just has no crazy stuff like infinite pressure Rashid, or every option available Akuma or my character is so crazy I don't even know what side I'm going to be on when I land Ibuki.

She's not a v-trigger robbery character either.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Because of the s.HP nerf?
Yeah, that's mainly it, but also the st.LP/cr.LP nerfs. The "play perfect" style with orb in hand at all times is much harder now that each st.HP is much less rewarding on hit, and is way riskier on whiff or block. st.MP got buffed to compensate, but it's not enough in most MUs.

So you'll see that in recent matches with Menat, Justin has been relying more on orb manipulation for pressure and mixups. It's what Menats have to do more of now.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Yeah, that's mainly it, but also the st.LP/cr.LP nerfs. The "play perfect" style with orb in hand at all times is much harder now that each st.HP is much less rewarding on hit, and is way riskier on whiff or block. st.MP got buffed to compensate, but it's not enough in most MUs.

So you'll see that in recent matches with Menat, Justin has been relying more on orb manipulation for pressure and mixups. It's what Menats have to do more of now.

Any idea who Infiltration is using now? He's coming back at some point this year, right?

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was over for Cammy at the beginning of the season, but she really still has her own bullshit. A character with those buttons is never going to be weak. She just has no crazy stuff like infinite pressure Rashid, or every option available Akuma or my character is so crazy I don't even know what side I'm going to be on when I land Ibuki.

She's not a v-trigger robbery character either.

Remember when her Cr.HP could Crush Counter during the beta? She not a neutral button character with how bad hit/hurtboxes work in SFV.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when her Cr.HP could Crush Counter during the beta? She not a neutral button character with how bad hit/hurtboxes work in SFV.
I also remember when her v-trigger dive kicks could be done on neutral jump and the ex version was plus like 1000 no matter the height. She's still strong regardless.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, the Resetera SFV discord was dead and thought it was dead on here too. Glad to see I was wrong.

Urien is still the Robber King

(Laura is still the Queen)

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Good luck to him. I assume Michael Martin is taking over him now as he does the eSports stuff too.

I have no idea what things looked like behind the scenes, but I imagine it was probably pretty frustrating. I hope the next place he goes actually sees the value of a community and wants to foster a relationship with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.