• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I personally really like MK character designs for the most part. Especially 10 and 11.

Pre -10, I disliked all the female ones really, haha.

My beef with MK is I feel the proportions on the characters look weird. I think the legs are too short on most everybody.

Even though it is way better now, mk11 still looks stiff to me when it animates . The follow though feels off.
Oh i do not blame you for disliking the female designs or any of the designs besides the ninjas before 10. Not gonna pretend that MK outside of 1, 2, 3 and 9's combat was nothing other than shlock. My perception on the visual design being interesting is based on 10 and 11.

And I can sort of understand the body complaint. Its why characters in SF , Tekken look mad big with big appendages, its a gameplay function for that and a visual thing. I don't think their limbs look bad, I just think they look normal in MK and that's looks hella weird next to everyone else. Even smash when you hit shit makes you limbs larger to identify shit

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I really enjoyed the story mode of Ultimate. I would love for there to be something like that in SF6 or any fighting game for that matter. SFV keeps my interest without something like that with the FM system. The grind motivates me to play online, to overcome my frustration at sucking. I bought both Tekken 7 and Dragon Ball but there wasn't anything there to keep me interested. I sold both games off after a couple of days.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
SFA3's World Tour mode would be the Street Fighter equivalent of Smash Ultimate's story mode. Overworld map, CPU fights with weird variables and stat upgrades to collect. It's probably the best framework Capcom's ever had for single player content in a fighting game outside of Rival Schools visual novel stuff which I've never played.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the story mode of Ultimate. I would love for there to be something like that in SF6 or any fighting game for that matter. SFV keeps my interest without something like that with the FM system. The grind motivates me to play online, to overcome my frustration at sucking. I bought both Tekken 7 and Dragon Ball but there wasn't anything there to keep me interested. I sold both games off after a couple of days.
you mean MvCU yeah it was fun, just very budget. Hopefully the marvel 4 thing happens and they keep doing a story

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
SFA3's World Tour mode would be the Street Fighter equivalent of Smash Ultimate's story mode. Overworld map, CPU fights with weird variables and stat upgrades to collect. It's probably the best framework Capcom's ever had for single player content in a fighting game outside of Rival Schools visual novel stuff which I've never played.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking the whole time I was playing the WoL mode in Smash. It felt like a modern-day World Tour mode, especially the SF section. They need something like that next game.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when Thanos obtained the Satusi no Hado

Do you guys really want Capcom to write a story again

SlimX

Nov 11, 2017
I hate your avatar, your post, pretty much everything about you.

TgXgZbj.gif

Village

Oct 25, 2017
This is what MvC4's story should be:

Funny, that commercial is so corny. Old commercials tend to be though.

I would like a genuinely epic comic crossover story that didn't just include playable guys but like really went into each like brands , brands and you got like weird shit.

Like they introduce She Hulk, Pheonix Wright and Daredevil doing like an interdenominational court case because the collector stole something from Asteroth or some shit. Like really get in there with the capcom and marvel stuff.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

No.
They should not bother with a cinematic story mode and stick to mini character arcs in other forms, imo.

Goodness no, we're talking about single player modes like World Tour, World of Light and Heroes and Heralds.

Yup, this. I mean WoL I guess had a story, but it was really just an opening and closing video to the single player mode, which was more than enough.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Funny, that commercial is so corny. Old commercials tend to be though.

I would like a genuinely epic comic crossover story that didn't just include playable guys but like really went into each like brands , brands and you got like weird shit.

Like they introduce She Hulk, Pheonix Wright and Daredevil doing like an interdenominational court case because the collector stole something from Asteroth or some shit. Like really get in there with the capcom and marvel stuff.

Here's my totally serious pitch for MvC4's story.

Ryu is up on Suzaku Castle's rooftop, rummaging through his laundry bag for a clean shirt. He doesn't find one. What he does find? A copy of Amazing Spider-Man.

Ryu: "Nani?! I didn't buy this. I can't even read!"

MEANWHILE, Spider-Man is swinging through New York City, looking for non-violent drug offenders to throw off of a roof when his spidey sense tingles. His attention is drawn to a laundromat. On the floor of that laundromat is a clean shirt. Next to the formerly clean shirt that's now dirty because it's on the ground...a Street Fighter II cabinet.

Peter Parker: "I love this game!"

He thwips a quarter into the machine.

Ryu opens the ASM comic.

Peter sees Ryu on the screen reading Spider-Man.

We zoom in on the page and see Spider-Man playing SFII.

We zoom in on the screen and see Ryu reading Spider-Man.

We zoom in on the page and see Spider- you get the point.

Hire me, Capcpom.

bazzi

Dec 19, 2017

This bit of story is one of the best things fighting game stories can offer wtf u on, he even implied the satsui no hado is stronger than the infinity gauntlet

Why wouldn't you want that in your fg story lmfao

Oct 25, 2017
Story modes in fighting games can be fun if done right, and Netherrealm has demonstrated how, particularly in structure (individual character chapters work well for showing new players the ropes of the given character and contextualizing them).

I'm not even a Mortal Kombat fan, but 9 and X completely showed up SFV and MvCI in that regard.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
Wasn't there some rumor about the story mode in MK11 being a side scrolling game with platforming elements or something like that?

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Story modes in fighting games can be fun if done right, and Netherrealm has demonstrated how, particularly in structure (individual character chapters work well for showing new players the ropes of the given character and contextualizing them).

I'm not even a Mortal Kombat fan, but 9 and X completely showed up SFV and MvCI in that regard.

NRS has shown how NRS single player can be fun. I don't think other games should copy the formula outright, though.

They should definitely strive to offer as much variety as NRS, as many ways for as many different types of players as possible to enjoy your game as NRS, but not necessarily the same exact modes as NRS.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I found the rumors from late last year. Apparently there is an adventure mode similar to Shaolin Monks as well as a cinematic story mode. That sounds like a lot of fun stuff to do to me.

It was part of a bogus rumor with a lot of now incorrect stuff. So don't expect that. I doubt any fighter is going to have a mode comparable to a whole spin-off game.

Omar310

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man, recent Capcom games have me really optimistic about future Capcom FGs. I know being hopeful with their fighting games is just setting myself up for disappointment, but I really think the whole company is looking much better than they did just a few years ago.

Oct 25, 2017
NRS has shown how NRS single player can be fun. I don't think other games should copy the formula outright, though.

They should definitely strive to offer as much variety as NRS, as many ways for as many different types of players as possible to enjoy your game as NRS, but not necessarily the same exact modes as NRS.

That sounds about right.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Extra Battle schedule for March: https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/132713

We get the 20k EXP soldier once, plus repeats of the Zangief and Necalli EX battles. I guess we won't be getting Shadow Lady this month.

I also found Extra Battle conditions listed in the game files, most of which are currently unused:

KO your opponent!
Survive for {common1} seconds!
Deal {common1} or more damage!
Get a KO in {common1} seconds!
Defeat your opponent!
Win the battle!

To be clear, those have apparently been in since AE first released. They just haven't used them for whatever reason. It's too bad, as some of them could've helped break the monotony of EB.

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017

They need to copy the MK9 Challenge Tower, one of the best offline modes in all of fighting games..

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
SFV is a masterpiece in storytelling, one that all aspiring poets can learn from.

devilbabywckjd.png
SFV story mode is legit better than most fighting game story modes out there, even ones that try to be cinematic like Tekken 7. It's fucking stupid as hell but at least it knows it and has some fun. MK9 and the first Injustice were the only ones that were legit good.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NRS makes the only fighting game stories worth a damn. MKX and IJ2's were very entertaining and competently made.

SFV's cinematic story is just too stupid, too cheap and too boring.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SFV story mode is legit better than most fighting game story modes out there, even ones that try to be cinematic like Tekken 7. It's fucking stupid as hell but at least it knows it and has some fun. MK9 and the first Injustice were the only ones that were legit good.
Yah I don't really play fighting games for story but I'm actually looking forward to cinematic story 2 if the newer characters are in it. The first story was dumb but I enjoyed it. Injustice 2's story had some nice production value, I enjoyed it more than the actual game.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
NRS makes the only fighting game stories worth a damn. MKX and IJ2's were very entertaining and competently made.

SFV's cinematic story is just too stupid, too cheap and too boring.

MKX story was forgettable trash. SFV story was memorable trash. MK9 was memorable camp. Injustice GAU was about as good as a comicbook crossover event gets, which ain't saying much, but good on them.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MKX story was forgettable trash. SFV story was memorable trash. MK9 was memorable camp. Injustice GAU was about as good as a comicbook crossover event gets, which ain't saying much, but good on them.

Aside from Gief blocking a sword with this chest, there's nothing memorable about SFV's story mode. It's a 3-hour trash-a-ton of incompetent writing, babby's first attempt at cut-scene direction, horrendously-proportioned character models that were never meant to be looked at from those angles (ditto for the shit-looking scenery), and one-round fights of fighting a brainless CPU.

Nah MKX is better-made and is more entertaining in every single way and by an order of magnitude.

Last edited:

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It was super weird how indifferent Guile seemed to be about Charlie being around. Dude almost abandoned his family to avenge this other dude and you'd think that would warrant more of a reaction than returning his dog tags.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember anything about MKX besides the Kombat Kidz being lame. MK9 and Injustice were pretty good. Haven't played Injustice 2 so can't speak for that.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
It was super weird how indifferent Guile seemed to be about Charlie being around. Dude almost abandoned his family to avenge this other dude and you'd think that would warrant more of a reaction than returning his dog tags.

I can remember being very interested in how they would play that. In the end, I think they nod at each other? Like... what?

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
SFV story mode is the best around if only because it actually has everyone playable and has unique assets like stages, music and enemies that arent major enough to be mad about not being playable (Decapre being an exception MAYBE, depends who you ask).

Also it might be schlock but its likeable schlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.