• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I don't want to jump into conclusion but they may have updated the engine. UE 4.8 introduced a grass render tool that generate grass in a large landscape.

Temple of Ascension is nowhere near close in grass density.

SFV currently uses 4.7.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Soo...
  • New stage coming March 26th
  • There was also some costume DLC bundle that is time limited and ends somewhere in March, so they may need an update to remove it (and probably to replace it with another one, I bet it may be a Mega Man one)
  • Uniqlo round 1 ads end on April's 1st so maybe they had some update to maybe replace them
I assume they'll put all these things in the same update. They also have that eSport event in Japan where they'll have the arcade version, so that update maybe it''s done during that event.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Odds are good we'll be seeing a new character on 3/26 now?
Well, they didn't change their Facebook or Twitter avatar as a teaser, so I'd say it's difficult to get it now.

But who knows, I assume that if they announce something else at Final Round it may be announced before the finals. Regarding the release, it depends how they want to do it: they may release it after the event is complete, or they may wait until the 26th, that is Tuesday (normal day for PSN game and DLC releases).

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't want to jump into conclusion but they may have updated the engine. UE 4.8 introduced a grass render tool that generate grass in a large landscape.

Temple of Ascension is nowhere near close in grass density.

SFV currently uses 4.7.
Yeah I was gonna say that this stage looks like it's using upgraded engine features for that grass. Temple of Ascension definitely doesn't come close so you might be right lol.

I don't want to jump to conclusions, but ps4 pro patch confirmed.
One would hope.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Regarding the grass, the new engine version just make it easier to develop that, but always have been possible to add grass to a game even before UE4, there are many techniques to do or fake large amounts of grass. In fact, remember that X-Kira already mentioned that stage while ago.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I'm multitwitching SFV Final Round and the MK11 stress test. Pardon the low quality screen capture:

t4tmjlo.jpg

It's ugly, but it illustrates something important. I think both of these games look great and their visual styles each have strengths and weaknesses.

MK11 is hella detailed. That stage has depth to it. SFV looks flatter, but them colors yo. The game POPS.

I think this is something to really consider before we start arguing for SF to have a more realistic art style. The game would have more texture, but it would lose that iconic pop. I don't think it's worth it.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Yup, they are 2 different art styles that reflect the history behind these game. One is an American game that started with "super realistic" scanned guys, and the other is more "animeish" like Japanese game that started in the traditional colorful pixel art from the '80s.

I think SF needs to be true to its roots: bright, saturated and contrasted palette, with people with huge hands and feet. SF with a realistic look wouldn't feel like SF.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
RE Engine's specialty has been realistic face scan graphics and a lot of post-processing filter stuff and effects. Every RE Engine game so far has looked...pretty much the same to me. Even in DMC5 where I expected to see more colorful stuff throughout the game, at times looked like something out of RE.

I don't want this for SF6. Give SF its own charming colorful art style. I don't want it to look like a NRS game at all.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I made a suggestion to the SmashGG staff to add game tournament participation rankings and stats, in order to see stuff like what is the game that got the biggest amount of participation worldwide during 2018 combining all tournaments? Or what is the game with the biggest participation during last month combining all Asian tournaments?

You can upvote it here:
https://smashgg.canny.io/feature-fi...uests/p/game-participation-rankings-and-stats

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I'm multitwitching SFV Final Round and the MK11 stress test. Pardon the low quality screen capture:

t4tmjlo.jpg

It's ugly, but it illustrates something important. I think both of these games look great and their visual styles each have strengths and weaknesses.

MK11 is hella detailed. That stage has depth to it. SFV looks flatter, but them colors yo. The game POPS.

I think this is something to really consider before we start arguing for SF to have a more realistic art style. The game would have more texture, but it would lose that iconic pop. I don't think it's worth it.

More colors doesn't mean better. Nvidia FreeStyle you can change the game's display to looking something like this
VA082sc.png

Which honestly doesn't look great. But you can change it to this
lXBLgrz.png

Developers don't really do anything to get these results and game's visuals ends up looking muted.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
More colors doesn't mean better. Nvidia FreeStyle you can change the game's display to looking something like this
VA082sc.png

Which honestly doesn't look great. But you can change it to this
lXBLgrz.png

Developers don't really do anything to get these results and game's visuals ends up looking muted.

It seems you think I'm arguing that MK11 needs more color, but I ain't. MK11 is a very detailed game that's trying to achieve a certain degree of realism, like From games do. Saturated colors don't work well for that aesthetic. It smudges all that detail.

That said, SF's color makes it a lot easier to read. The flatter textures don't hold up under a magnifying glass like MK's, but it's a lot more legible. Positives and negatives, man.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF5 in 4K looks pretty much perfect to me. The only blemish are the backgrounds don't look anywhere near as good as the characters. I'd like backgrounds with more stuff going on like the old games, something emulating the parallax stuff going on in oldschool 2D backgrounds in higher quality.

rusty chrome

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF5 in 4K looks pretty much perfect to me. The only blemish are the backgrounds don't look anywhere near as good as the characters. I'd like backgrounds with more stuff going on like the old games, something emulating the parallax stuff going on in oldschool 2D backgrounds in higher quality.
Everyone will still pick training stage lul

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I made a suggestion to the SmashGG staff to add game tournament participation rankings and stats, in order to see stuff like what is the game that got the biggest amount of participation worldwide during 2018 combining all tournaments? Or what is the game with the biggest participation during last month combining all Asian tournaments?

You can upvote it here:
https://smashgg.canny.io/feature-fi...uests/p/game-participation-rankings-and-stats
Upvoted. 👍

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017

Is this a work?
Regarding the grass, the new engine version just make it easier to develop that, but always have been possible to add grass to a game even before UE4, there are many techniques to do or fake large amounts of grass. In fact, remember that X-Kira already mentioned that stage while ago.

Could be but 4.8 not only made it easier but it also reduce the draw calls and the grass is still rendered at quite a distance in the trailer.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Is this a work?

Could be but 4.8 not only made it easier but it also reduce the draw calls and the grass is still rendered at quite a distance in the trailer.
Yep, to upgrade the engine is very helpful for many things and may help performace to have "real" grass instead of using tricks like repeating a few assets and to "fake" the distant ones.

If they upgrade, I'd update it to the latest version. But for devs to upgrade the engine in a completed (or almost) AAA game often it's a pain in the ass because often breaks some things and requires many changes, like updating some code that was deprecated and so on, that in a scale of a completed game may require a ton of work and, depending the case, cost in licenses of the engine and related external apps or libraries that interact with this engine that maybe don't suppot or aren't supported by the newer version.

Regarding licences, think that game like this are made by many studios, not only Capcom. There are around 20 studios involved on it, but on this point where the game is released and they only make maintenance and add some content are only a few of them involved on it.

Many companies decide to don't make this work because isn't worth for them: requires a big investment that isn't profitable because doesn't provide something that then generates revenue for them. In this case, if they decide to update it some day may be to add compatibility for next gen consoles or some impactful performance boost that would be important for this game, as it was the UE update that provided an input lag inprovement.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Don't think it's needed. Balance seems good so far.

Sure if you ignore how medium DP that are supposed to be invincible to jump ins can trade.

Or how jump in hurtbox like Akuma's j.hp are terrible and looses to non AA moves more often.

Or how buttons that are better than Cammy's cr.jab in S3 are better than her cr.jab in S4.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are we even getting a mid-season patch this year?
It's too soon to know if and when they would it, the season is just 3 months old.

But even if the game would be super balanced, I'd bet we'll still get a mid season patch with several minor tweaks, changes and fixes. Characters always can be improved or made more accesible to people, and even if they are already ok there are people with different tastes so to make changes you can make them appealing to other people, or just to make the game feel more fresh, with new things to learn.

In the last month they announced like 3 or 4 new Street Fighter V eSport events with huge partners which means that at least Capcom is going to support the game for minimum one or two years more, and to do so they'll need to keep releasing new stuff like new paid DLC content to generate revenue (characters, stages, paid costumes, paid colors...) in addition to free and unlockable stuff (gameplay tweaks and fixes, new extra battle and fighting chance costumes, new characters, new game modes or features...) to keep the players happy and engaged playing the game for longer because you need to have people playing if you want them to buy the DLC.

In addition to this, seeing their first external partner for in-game ads seems a pretty good strategy for them to follow with future sponsors: they promote SF related merchandise that also generates Capcom licensing revenue (remember, Ono is also in charge of SF related business) with stuff that players like and doesn't feel that invasive because it's game related and provides some cool Street Fighter new artwork for loading screens and extra in-game money. Something similar to their cosplay costumes: they keep players engaged unlocking cool stuff that also helps to make their other old brands more popular and to promote recent games (MHW, RE2, DMCV, etc), while also helping to bring fans from these other series to SFV.

So I'll bet we'll get a mid-season patch and since this strategy seems to be working and sounds promising, I'd bet we'll also keep getting crossover costumes (we know from datamining that they seem to be coming) and more in-game ads of SF merchandising or SF related products (maybe comics, movies, small arcade cabinets, toys, figurines, clothes, etc).

So since Capcom will want to keep people playing the game and getting these things, they'll need to keep adding free stuff to keep fresh and alive, like the gameplay tweaks and changes, and at least until now it meant a mid-season patch.

Last edited:

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's too soon to know if and when they would it, the season is just 3 months old.
But even if the game would be super balanced, I'd bet we'll still get a mid season patch with several minor tweaks, changes and fixes. Characters always can be improved or made more accesible to people, and even if they are already ok there are people with different tastes so to make changes you can make them appealing to other people, or just to make the game feel more fresh, with new things to learn.
That's the amount of time elapsed before the mid-season patches that were 2.5 and 3.5. I doubt they would do one later, in the middle of the CPT.

Yurinka

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's the amount of time elapsed before the mid-season patches that were 2.5 and 3.5. I doubt they would do one later, in the middle of the CPT.
True, it makes sense.

But this season is different because they had to work in the arcade release, something so I assumed that to have their resources there altered their yearly schedule with mid-season patch as we saw it affected to character releases. So I posted that assuming this time a mid-season patch would be released later.

Maybe this time they try to find some spot where it wouldn't hurt too much, like just after Evo, or since it's the 4th season and the game is already balanced they focus on a relatively small amount of non-important stuff like minor fixes to don't change the game/upset people too much. Because as you mention many people wouldn't like to see huge changes in the middle of the CPT season.

Last edited:

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
I just saw this on Twitter. Wanted to share in case anyone hasn't seen it yet.

EDIT: Ah damn, someone beat me to it. It's seriously the coolest shit I've seen in a SF game since Daigo's infamous parrying at Evo.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think Kage might be the only standalone S4 character and that a few more will come bundled with general story volume 2 as Super Street Fighter V later this year.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to think Kage might be the only standalone S4 character and that a few more will come bundled with general story volume 2 as Super Street Fighter V later this year.
that sounds hella optimistic... im starting to think Kage is it.

Kyuga

Oct 27, 2017
It's seems no annoncements for top8...
We'll see but if nothing is annonced SFV future looks dead. I love the game cmon capcom release some news

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's seems no annoncements for top8...
We'll see but if nothing is annonced SFV future looks dead. I love the game cmon capcom release some news

Typically I would watch the finals for a potential reveal, but I'm not even going to bother. So if there is, I'll just catch it here later.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Best case scenario is announcement of a roadmap for the rest of the year, including some future characters. No shadow drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.