• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
...fuck that's true isn't it. No new fighter reveals (not even re-releases), no Cassandra last SCVI DLC character, no previews of the upcoming DBFZ characters, nothing of the new Under Night. I guess everybody's waiting for Evo?
Bamco, namely Project Soul, are even more of a mess than I thought if they're actually waiting until Evo for Cass, seeing as the gaps between characters hasn't gone beyond three months until now and we're already at the third (it was two months between Tira and 2B's additions, three months between 2B and Amy). Taking nearly a year from launch to complete a season pass with only four characters, one of whom was already done and intended for the base game but held back for DLC because the execs wanted more money, is too ridiculous a time table for me to honestly believe. It makes absolutely no sense why it's taking them so long after the last few, unless they gave her yet another gimmick mechanic like they've done with the other DLC characters and went overboard with it to the point that they're having trouble making it actually work.

Missing even a July release would mean having every character this season but one able to be represented at the tournament, all while distracting them from announcing plans for a second season for SCVI on stage. By comparison, I could actually believe Evo for Janemba in DBFZ, with Fury Broly and SSB Gogeta showing up in the fall. It's unlikely that French Bread want focus taken away from UNIST being at Evo by another (likely paid) update for it being announced yet.

Last edited:

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
This is telephone game/grapevine stuff, but the reason they're doing this weird thing with S4 is because they think the S1-4 compilation package will sell better if it includes brand new characters. Japan believes a reason AE didn't sell well was because all the new shinies were in the pass.

If you have 4-6 new characters in there, you run into a big "why is this game as much as the DLC individually priced" problem for invested users. Plus you always start at the highest possible point and shave down from there, S1-4 + Base for $60 is completely reasonable.

I can't see it. Ultra SFIV added 5 characters (which is about as much as we can expect to finish Season 4 in SFV). It also added a whole host of balance changes, new modes, and features.

Capcom sold it for $30 at launch standalone. $15 upgrade for existing users.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't see it. Ultra SFIV added 5 characters (which is about as much as we can expect to finish Season 4 in SFV). It also added a whole host of balance changes, new modes, and features.

Capcom sold it for $30 at launch standalone. $15 upgrade for existing users.
Completely different business model.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bamco, namely Project Soul, are even more of a mess than I thought if they're actually waiting until Evo for Cass, seeing as the gaps between characters hasn't gone beyond three months until now and we're already at the third (it was two months between Tira and 2B's additions, three months between 2B and Amy). Taking nearly a year from launch to complete a season pass with only four characters, one of whom was already done and intended for the base game but held back for DLC because the execs wanted more money, is too ridiculous a time table for me to honestly believe. It makes absolutely no sense why it's taking them so long after the last few, unless they gave her yet another gimmick mechanic like they've done with the other DLC characters and went overboard with it to the point that they're having trouble making it actually work.

Missing even a July release would mean having every character this season but one able to be represented at the tournament, all distracting them from announcing plans for a second season for SCVI on stage. By comparison, I could actually believe Evo for Janemba in DBFZ, with Fury Broly and SSB Gogeta showing up in the fall. It's unlikely that French Bread want focus taken away from UNIST being at Evo by another (likely paid) update for it being announced yet.
Wasn't it the same for Tekken? I had the feeling the first season took a while to be completed, while S2 got released fairly quickly.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. AE is a compilation of the base game and two season passes with continual updates provided free of charge excluding characters.

Ultra was a import of characters/stages from SFxT, a rebalance and other adjustments that existed primarily because SFxT went belly up. SF4 was a very, very old game at that point. SF4 came to console in January '09. USF4 came in June of 2014. 5.5 years after release.Longer if you use the arcade timings. That level of depreciation on the price of the SFV titles hasn't happened yet.
There simply is no guarantee for this. I can easily say something like..."Capcom is almost assuredly not making any major SFV content to gear up for next gen/SF6" and it doesn't make it a lock.
Reading the tea leaves isn't hard here.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't it the same for Tekken? I had the feeling the first season took a while to be completed, while S2 got released fairly quickly.
S1 for T7 was already done by Evo last year. They used the stage to announce S2, showing off Anna, Lei, and the Negan surprise there.

Of course, T7 had also done far better with registration numbers than SCVI has been in its first year and is still doing better with those this year too, so SCVI being almost dead last if not for BBTAG already being at the very bottom likely isn't helping them do anything other than drag their asses on finishing things.

Last edited:

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
S1 for T7 was already done by Evo last year. They used the stage to announce S2, showing off Anna, Lei, and the Negan surprise there.

Of course, T7 had also done far better with registration numbers than SCVI and is doing better with those this year too, so SCVI being almost dead last if not for BBTAG already being at the very bottom likely isn't helping them do anything other than drag their asses on finishing things.
Geese didn't release until the very end of November. T7 released on console at the start of June, so that's six months until Geese released and then Noctis was a three and a half month wait after that.

I'm ticked at Namco for dragging their feet on Cassandra, but compared to T7 season 1, SCVI is slightly quicker with one more character (or two depending on how you count Eliza and Tira).

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Geese didn't release until the very end of November. T7 released on console at the start of June, so that's six months until Geese released and then Noctis was a three and a half month wait after that.

I'm ticked at Namco for dragging their feet on Cassandra, but compared to T7 season 1, SCVI is slightly quicker with one more character (or two depending on how you count Eliza and Tira).
So that's how long it took them with S1 of T7 after it launched. Kind of wondering if that longer wait before Evo 2018 was the result of those two being guest characters and possibly spending more time going back and forth communicating between companies (but then, Team Ninja will have Kula and Mai ready only three and a half months after DoA6 launched once they release next week, though not really a fair comparison seeing as they wouldn't have had to do much work bringing Mai over from 5:LR anyway).

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
.... I really hope Capcom's grand plan to revitalize SF5 isn't about bringing in a guest.
I liked how some Tekken characters played in SFxT, but I really don't think Jin or Heihachi will be enough to convince people who don't care about the game to finally try it.

Also, back to the conversation last page: I don't think SSF5 (if it exists) will be another package of S1-4. Or even 1-5 (honestly, if AE had S3 bundled in, it would have been a much better package).
I think SSF5 will be the game jumping to F2P, with Menat's shop being reworked into full gatcha craziness. No one is going to try SF5 now at $60, or even $40 or $30. They need to go lower, not higher.

Doctrine Dark

Nov 13, 2017
Does anyone think there's a chance Capcom could announce a new fighting game at Evo?

I'm looking forward to new SFV stuff, but......I feel like they need more than that alone.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone think there's a chance Capcom could announce a new fighting game at Evo?

I'm looking forward to new SFV stuff, but......I feel like they need more than that alone.
Nope. It'd downplay what they have to show for SFV, in any case, and whatever they have in the works wouldn't be ready.

Unless it was some kind of retro collection of sorts.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think SSF5 will be the game jumping to F2P, with Menat's shop being reworked into full gatcha craziness. No one is going to try SF5 now at $60, or even $40 or $30. They need to go lower, not higher.
I personally don't see that happening simply because the casual audience has already given up on this game. That would entail a lot of work for what would likely be very little return. I think Capcom will be hard headed and release another $40 package.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That would entail a lot of work for what would likely be very little return.
By itself, yes. But it would be a way of trying the F2P business model for a future game.
Capcom has been looking for ways to grossly maximize revenue on fighting games since SFxT, so it would make sense to try their hand at a game that has already run most of its course instead of taking the risk to launch blindly.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
By itself, yes. But it would be a way of trying the F2P business model for a future game.
Capcom has been looking for ways to grossly maximize revenue on fighting games since SFxT, so it would make sense to try their hand at a game that has already run most of its course instead of taking the risk to launch blindly.

I think they should do it. Experiment. Namco tried with soul calibur lost swords.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
33ad5w.jpg

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Put me down for 4 Cyberbots, and 10 copies of that Warzard remaster that's totally going to happen (I was hoping for Asura's Wrath BC and that happened this week, I just gotta keep hoping and it'll happen eventually)

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to also put Rival Schools on the " If you want this the way it is in the modern day you are delusional " list

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You're only getting Rival Schools if Capcom gets into the dating sim business.

Deleted member 18857

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, Toraware no Palma is selling quite well... Though it's more of a hot-boyfriend-tamagotchi.

Seishunnikki was one of the best dating sims I've ever played, though. Along with Tokimemo GS and Sakura Taisen 3. Such a great, dumb game.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think that will help. I have said simular things before, and i'll say it again.

Capcom Fighting games department and tbh a lot of capcom don't have an art style and characters that would be interesting to what would be the primarly market for a highschool kids fight game, kids and teens. Rival Schools is a game series steeped in old anime tropes, mean while actual shounen kid-teen anime has moved far and beyond that realm visually. For them to sell successfully to that market that would actually be lucrative , unlike say a small amount of nerds on an internet forum they would have to change the visual identity of of Rival Schools.

Today's school fight anime features kids who actually just don't look like adults, stylishly dressed and dealing with thier issues instead of burning fight stuff all the time. This generations goku is a cry baby who wears fresh kicks. Times have changed, and the time for what rival schools is has long gone.

Street fighter works, Marvel Works, that's ok. They have a specific kind of aetshetic and they wish to stick to it. However if they ever wish to delve into the rival schools well again, a lot of changes and acceptance of the notion that times have changed will need to happen

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Of course, T7 had also done far better with registration numbers than SCVI has been in its first year and is still doing better with those this year too, so SCVI being almost dead last if not for BBTAG already being at the very bottom likely isn't helping them do anything other than drag their asses on finishing things.

SC6 is still holding on though- it's not a discord fighter on PC yet. I think it's going to get a S2 of some sort, but with a much lower budget. I'm not expecting 6 characters, just 2-3. The game did sell well enough to make a SC7 likely though, which is good. SC6 did a lot of things right, SC7 just needs to come up with a replacement for RE and make Soul Charge less of a stupid mechanic.

SC6 has the same fundametal V-trigger issues SF5 does though. Thinking V-trigger is going to be known as the mistake of this generation of fighters and be the one thing we see removed in the next generation.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
SC6 is still holding on though- it's not a discord fighter on PC yet. I think it's going to get a S2 of some sort, but with a much lower budget. I'm not expecting 6 characters, just 2-3. The game did sell well enough to make a SC7 likely though, which is good. SC6 did a lot of things right, SC7 just needs to come up with a replacement for RE and make Soul Charge less of a stupid mechanic.

SC6 has the same fundametal V-trigger issues SF5 does though. Thinking V-trigger is going to be known as the mistake of this generation of fighters and be the one thing we see removed in the next generation.
Indeed, Bamco did go on record stating that they were satisfied with how SCVI sold and it's reasonable to conclude that there will be at least one more season, I'm just disappointed that it doesn't have more of a tournament presence than it does (though I can understand why to an extent, even BBTAG did much better in its first year at Evo). Soul Charge in VI pretty much is equivalent to V-Trigger, yet at the same time I'm at a loss thinking of ways that it can be reworked into something less potent but still actually useful. Wouldn't miss Reversal Edge, though.

Deleted member 10551

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SC6 has been doing alright in terms of tourney entrants. It's been a top 5 game at a number of majors. The EVO numbers are low, but we don't know how low other than under 1000 and more than BBTAG.

As for how to rework Soul Charge- I'd make it a rage explosion type deal. No Soul Charge moves, but you'd get the chip damage and a damage boost, and maybe an enhanced super. The burst part of it stays.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't have time to do the costume Extra Battle until today, and now PSN is down.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Doing Karin's S4 trials only makes me more impressed with Punk. He makes it look so simple.

You still have four to five hours left (heh), right? And hey, you can always buy that sweet $15 costume pack in a few months!
I was able to get in, thankfully.

I would of been really upset otherwise, I've never missed a costume.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could believe that Persona 5 Arena was inevitable.

I am right fucking there with you, Flux. However, I can go a step deeper... I wish I could say that Persona 5 Arena was inevitable AND that when it DOES come out Junpei will be on the roster (with his baseball mechanics intact).

I feel like I am hanging by a thread, here.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I am right fucking there with you, Flux. However, I can go a step deeper... I wish I could say that Persona 5 Arena was inevitable AND that when it DOES come out Junpei will be on the roster (with his baseball mechanics intact).

I feel like I am hanging by a thread, here.
Street Fighter V is your anime fighter now.

And Cody is your new Junpei.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if it'll come with a balance patch. I do expect a shadow drop of characters and I'm excited about that. Wonder if they'll be system changes too.

Status
Not open for further replies.