• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Wonder if it'll come with a balance patch. I do expect a shadow drop of characters and I'm excited about that. Wonder if they'll be system changes too.

It would be crazy to add system changes mid season. A balance patch makes sense, but adding new mechanics this late in the year...

Actually, that would make the second half of the CPT season too hype.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Bison / Rashid / G nerfs please. Make the players of those characters have to think maybe just a little. Oh, "thinking" isn't hype... add more fucking stupid shit! Take away walking and just make EVERYONE dash around like an idiot!

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Every SF game i have main a female character for a few months, i haven't done that with SFV, come on Capcom gimme Decapre..

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Still hoping for a costume code option in char select!

giphy.gif

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
And I just got my first rage quitter while I was using Sakura (not even joking)... guess that's a thing now.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that this was in CASUALS of all places.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Reminder that AE launched months after being announced. Just because Super or whatever is announced in August doesn't mean it won't release after the CPT season is over.

Oct 25, 2017
The way Ono keeps saying "August," I feel like it's both the reveals and implementation that will happen within the same month.
There's no reason we can't have a character or two drop in August and then a huge update announced for December. It would be unorthodox, but so is announcing a new season of content and then keeping mum for six months.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason we can't have a character or two drop in August and then a huge update announced for December. It would be unorthodox, but so is announcing a new season of content and then keeping mum for six months.

You definitely aren't wrong about the eschewing traditional practices. Kage was released seven months ago. By the time EVO comes around it will have been eight and a half months. They are going to need something pretty fucking unorthodox to breathe life back into this game.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. They're already off-schedule.
It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to dump a huge update way late in the season. Just hold off a another 2-3 months to start the new season. A character in August is enough to hold people over.

I think expecting a huge update and release right after Evo is setting yourself up for disappointment.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is this about "Super Street Fighter V"?

My thing is that I've never believed in that theory. All I'm expecting in August is 2 characters and a balance update.

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Ughhh, played for several hours last night for the first time since Kage came out. Dropped from super silver all the way down to ultra bronze, then had to claw my way back up through the laggy Ken army. All my Zeku skills are gone. I hope that whatever the August reveal is reinvigorates the game, because as it is it doesn't feel worthwhile to me to try and get decent at it again. Will probably never get that Gold trophy at this point.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
It does kind of surprise me how so few fighting games have gone f2p, at least for the multiplayer portion.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Street Fighter 6 to be a F2P game with an optional 10$ monthly subscription.

Will still have shit that's only available for a specific time before it goes away for months because Capcpom.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think early next gen is gonna be another lull for fighting games, same way we didn't see any big updates from 2005 until 2008/2009 and how we only saw ports early on with this gen. It is easy to forget that SFV came out two and a half years after the PS4 launched.

I would argue that any new monetisation models would really need to wait for a new game rather than an update. You can spin something off into f2p when you're winding it down and you're making the majority of non-cosmetic content free but I think you'd struggle with making some characters paid and others free on a permanent basis.

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
It does kind of surprise me how so few fighting games have gone f2p, at least for the multiplayer portion.

Its kind of a huge risk moreso than other genres because the sales ceiling is way lower. You're giving up the initial guaranteed revenue you'd get from FG enthusiasts who not only will buy the game, but buy a bunch of the associated DLC with it. Most people will play the SP story and drop the game because that is "finishing the game" for them and they move on. If all the enthusiasts jump into the MP for free, then you're losing a ton of full price day one purchases. And you have another issue, people gravitate towards shotos, and if the shotos arent on deck in the rotation, then people aint playing. In the same breath if you make say ryu a perm free character, they may buy some ryu cosmetics but they're only gonna be playing ryu and not touch the entirety of the rest of the roster. Also going F2P or having a hybrid model will likely mean the progression will be tuned to be more grindy...than SFV is. Id rather not see that again. The FM model has essentially demanded you wait on Capcom to give you opportunities to earn it at the pace they want rather than at the pace you want to.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I think the most ideal way for fighters next gen is the Overwatch model. A full priced game, but future characters are free, and all future purchases are cosmetic costumes, stages, profile and online bragging items etc.

For casuals, let them go nuts with things like absurd modes such as a tug of war fight where no one wins until a ridiculous large life bar is gone, but hitting your opponent gets it back, or a timer that counts the most hits or damage done (basically like the bonus stages in SF2 but with characters), but no one gets knocked out. I once had fun going ham on level 8 CPU SFV Dictator in training, but with regenerating life. It was actually kinda fun to be able to play without the typical life bars). Of course, these will not be used in traditional competitive play, but casual online or local play.

hehe, what if online multiplayer was an arcade setting where you actually paid for the opportunity to be "next" against the current reigning player online with winner staying on. You'd have to buy "tokens"...or actually use, "Fight Money" earned by playing single player stuff. BTW, I wouldn't want that lol.

Oct 25, 2017
hehe, what if online multiplayer was an arcade setting where you actually paid for the opportunity to be "next" against the current reigning player online with winner staying on. You'd have to buy "tokens"...or actually use, "Fight Money" earned by playing single player stuff. BTW, I wouldn't want that lol.
Somebody is behind on free-to-play Tekken games.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah if I'm Capcom and making a fighting game, I'm def taking the money up front. Aka selling 1-2 million+ copies in 2 months, ideally breaking even quickly.

Oct 25, 2017
Yikes. This is actually a thing?

Tekken Revolution. PS3 exclusive. They shut down the service a while ago. It was built off Tag2 but had no bound and err... no tag. You could unlock or pay for characters, I think the unlocks were random. Had a stripped down single player and ranked match. You could pay for tokens or wait for a cool down timer. Each character had an unsafe invincible move, no armor. It was pretty wack.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Tekken Revolution. PS3 exclusive. They shut down the service a while ago. It was built off Tag2 but had no bound and err... no tag. You could unlock or pay for characters, I think the unlocks were random. Had a stripped down single player and ranked match. You could pay for tokens or wait for a cool down timer. Each character had an unsafe invincible move, no armor. It was pretty wack.

Revolution was kinda crap, but the lack of bound was fantastic.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Guessing that Dhalsim is the fighting chancec costume. Bah. I really like it, but not risking my FM to try and get it.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Menat looks awful there. Karin should have gotten the Devilot costume. They're like a 1:1 looks/personality match.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
the menat costume looks exceptionally awful.

balanced by ibuki's, I guess.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
Great, so if you want just those RE costumes, there's no separate bundle for those? Only in a $14.99 bundle with a bunch of the free ones from the previous extra battles? That's obnoxious. I was waiting for a RE bundle, but I gotta pas now. Whatever. I'm over most of the costumes in this game anyway.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty funny that Laura got a second summer costume before any of the dudes got one.

Cody and Urien are RIGHT THERE, Capcom!

Oct 25, 2017
Great, so if you want just those RE costumes, there's no separate bundle for those? Only in a $14.99 bundle with a bunch of the free ones from the previous extra battles? That's obnoxious. I was waiting for a RE bundle, but I gotta pas now. Whatever. I'm over most of the costumes in this game anyway.

I don't know if or when they'll bring it back, but there was already an RE costume pack.

arKvOU8.png

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Laura actually receiving a new costume, wow.

I also thought it was impossible for a Menat costume to be bad. I was wrong.

Though I assume the costume code gives her back her normal hair, which should make it a little bit better.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the most ideal way for fighters next gen is the Overwatch model. A full priced game, but future characters are free, and all future purchases are cosmetic costumes, stages, profile and online bragging items etc.

For casuals, let them go nuts with things like absurd modes such as a tug of war fight where no one wins until a ridiculous large life bar is gone, but hitting your opponent gets it back, or a timer that counts the most hits or damage done (basically like the bonus stages in SF2 but with characters), but no one gets knocked out. I once had fun going ham on level 8 CPU SFV Dictator in training, but with regenerating life. It was actually kinda fun to be able to play without the typical life bars). Of course, these will not be used in traditional competitive play, but casual online or local play.

This won't work because Overwatch has sold tens of millions of copies. SFV has sold what, 2 point something Million?

The revenue stream isn't there to support development in the same way.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would have been better to not do that costume than give it to Menat. I get why they gave it to her- Cammy/Karin need their legs visible for game play reasons, while Menat doesn't have nearly the same issue, but man that looks bad..

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, Laura's costume look atrocious.
And wait until you see Menat move. All these high kick she does? In that dress? Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.