• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I like Poison's concept much better here -- the whip is more interesting than swinging a crop to create projectiles -- but I think her normals generally had more character in IV. Her slaps have been replaced by generic punches, and her kicks are less dynamic.

Didn't see this discussed before but might have missed it with all the EVO stuff:

He later clarified that they were just hints for the Summer characters: Honda's striped pattern, Poison's heels, and Lucia's vest.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Poison's concept much better here -- the whip is more interesting than swinging a crop to create projectiles -- but I think her normals generally had more character in IV. Her slaps have been replaced by generic punches, and her kicks are less dynamic.

He later clarified that they were just hints for the Summer characters: Honda's striped pattern, Poison's heels, and Lucia's vest.

Poison's normals are definitely on the bland side.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

Ah, thanks. I didn't catch that.

Hoping the November/December announcements are another set of characters.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Man... fighting Ryu sucks. He may not be the best character, but I genuinely hate fighting against him and his dumb dash. Win or lose, I just find it to be an obnoxious fight. I want them to buff him in the next patch, make him better, but nerf that stupid dash.

It really is a shit time fighting him. I wonder do the dev team play at all. Like, seriously. A lot of shit in this game just isn't fun to play against.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Funny that Ryu is considered low-tier and competitively unviable.

He's also one of the matchups I struggle the most with.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Lucia's CA has 13 frames of invincibility, meaning you can't V Reversal and have to have a invincible Reversal if you want to avoid a chip out.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this game makes me feel so dumb.

I've been trying to get Poison's trial 4 completed for like an hour now and its two moves and I can't get it done. L. Shocking Heel > EX H. Heart Raid and I can't find the timing on it.

Shit like this just makes me realize how I'll never get any good a this game even though part of me wants to if I can't get basic shit like this down. :(

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
but I think her normals generally had more character in IV. Her slaps have been replaced by generic punches, and her kicks are less dynamic.

Yeah in general I think she lost a bit personality

I've been trying to get Poison's trial 4 completed for like an hour now and its two moves and I can't get it done. L. Shocking Heel > EX H. Heart Raid and I can't find the timing on it.

Make sure you hit Ryu's toes with her heel

Oct 25, 2017
Man this game makes me feel so dumb.

Shit like this just makes me realize how I'll never get any good a this game even though part of me wants to if I can't get basic shit like this down. :(
Don't feel bad. That's actually the trial that took me the longest lol.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I was stuck for more than half an hour on Honda's 2nd trial, before I figured out you could guide the smash. And even then it took me more than a few attempts to get it right.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure I hate every single grappler in this game for how dumb it makes fighting them. I don't care what tier they are.

Unrelated, got my first rage quit from using Lucia on what's been an otherwise crappy night for me.

Last edited:

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
Why'd they have to release Lucia alongside Poison. I want to play Poison, but she requires thought, you have to know what you're doing and her tools have some clear downsides. With Lucia I can just unga and get results.
and that lucia summer costume is just REELIN ME IN

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
It really is a shit time fighting him. I wonder do the dev team play at all. Like, seriously. A lot of shit in this game just isn't fun to play against.
That's maybe the biggest mistake of SFV. Some shit is simply unfun to play against.
Plus i think stages should all have the size of Bustling Side Street or City in Chaos when the doors are broken in.
There are too much corner situations due the rushdown meta of the game and because a lot of characters have big corner carry moves. Making stages larger would maybe help to create more neutral situations.

I love the game though, but it's really not without its faults.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
New mechanics, guys!

Plus i think stages should all have the size of Bustling Side Street or City in Chaos when the doors are broken in.
There are too much corner situations due the rushdown meta of the game and because a lot of characters have big corner carry moves. Making stages larger would maybe help to create more neutral situations.

Holy shit, dude. This is actually a really simple way to "buff" neutral without a massive time sink to create one. The assets are already there PLUS it would finally open up the best lighting in the game on Side Street's Chinese restaurant part. I can't believe I've never thought about longer stages. It makes so much sense because it counters the slow power creep/fast movement creep of modern street fighter. Shit, maybe even some infinite stages like Tekken.

If motherfuckers like Rashid can just do whatever the fuck he wants as he derps me into the corner, at least give me some real estate to counter it.

Last edited:

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Are you sure those stages are even bigger after the transition? They seem to be the same size to me.
They are about 30% larger after the transition. Makes a HUGE difference.
New mechanics, guys!

Holy shit, dude. This is actually a really simple way to "buff" neutral without a massive time sink to create one. The assets are already there PLUS it would finally open up the best lighting in the game on Side Street's Chinese restaurant part. I can't believe I've never thought about longer stages. It makes so much sense because it counters the slow power creep/fast movement creep of modern street fighter. Shit, maybe even some infinite stages like Tekken.

If motherfuckers like Rashid can just do whatever the fuck he wants as he derps me into the corner, at least give me some real estate to counter it.

It's really simple and i wonder why Capcom hasn't implementet it yet.
In SFV you are in the corner in no time against most characters, that is unfun, you don't have space to breathe and that is stressful. After a more extended combo you are going to fly in the corner and get punished even more. Not fun.

Larger stages in the vein of those we mentioned would make SFV much more enjoyable and neutral heavy.

Last edited:

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
It's dope. I wonder how much has to be communicated between Capcom USA and Capcom Japan for stuff like this to make it in, because I want to see more of it.
Capcom have been doing this with VAs a lot recently so I doubt it's a lot of trouble, they know it makes VA better. In RE2 Clair VA even helped change script and form Clair's personality, it's mainly how Clair ended up so much better than Leon in that game.

Last edited:

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Being a Latino we all come in different shapes. My mom and dad pale skin while I'm brown and have my great grandparents eyes from Asia.

But blond hair and blue eyes, I don't know about that one.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Being a Latino we all come in different shapes. My mom and dad pale skin while I'm brown and have my great grandparents eyes from Asia.

But blond hair and blue eyes, I don't know about that one.
I feel like making her eyes brown would have been an easy retcon. They did it once before with Ken.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Poison is in desperate need of some other sort of anti-air. As it is now, that HP qcb whip can't be done on reaction and cr.MP only gets the job done sometimes. It almost seems like Capcom wants Poison players to rely on her air-to-air combos whenever someone jumps, and thats hard to do. Speaking of jumps, her jump ins feel weird to me too. j.LK feels like the worst crossup button in the game to me. But again, I guess she isn't meant to be jumping in the first place?

Poison having her DP back would make her so much more well rounded to me.

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Anything less than a j.MK is a bad cross-up normal, and they wasted Poison's on a weird attack that doesn't hit anyone still on the ground.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Poison is in desperate need of some other sort of anti-air. As it is now, that HP qcb whip can't be done on reaction and cr.MP only gets the job done sometimes. It almost seems like Capcom wants Poison players to rely on her air-to-air combos whenever someone jumps, and thats hard to do. Speaking of jumps, her jump ins feel weird to me too. j.LK feels like the worst crossup button in the game to me. But again, I guess she isn't meant to be jumping in the first place?

Poison having her DP back would make her so much more well rounded to me.

The heel kick is also an Anti-air. Also she combo's with off of damn near any anti-air she trades with outside of the whip.

Teh_Lurv

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday I had some free time and took a ride to a Round1 arcade to try out the SFV Type Arcade. I put in a credit and gave the arcade mode a try; by the second or third stage the machine was experiencing severe slowdown which made the game near unplayable. I thought at first my particular cab was bad, but I noticed a guy trying another Type Arcade cab was experiencing the same issue.

Is this a known issue or something? I popped in one more credit to try out an online battle (going off the Japanese to English translation card of the mode types), only for the machine to immediately dump me back into SP arcade. What a disappointment.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sf4 poison feels like she's using a default moveset in a create a character. No personality. I don't get people who prefer that

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Yesterday I had some free time and took a ride to a Round1 arcade to try out the SFV Type Arcade. I put in a credit and gave the arcade mode a try; by the second or third stage the machine was experiencing severe slowdown which made the game near unplayable. I thought at first my particular cab was bad, but I noticed a guy trying another Type Arcade cab was experiencing the same issue.

Is this a known issue or something? I popped in one more credit to try out an online battle (going off the Japanese to English translation card of the mode types), only for the machine to immediately dump me back into SP arcade. What a disappointment.

Much like nintendo and their shit online during the Wii U days, capcom will get lucky and not be called out on this by major outlets because no one goes to arcades. But this shit sounds wack as fuck. I'd have asked for my money back.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
So the Square button on my DS4 is being wonky and now I'm sad.

But then I realized I can just learn to play SFV on my keyboard. I already play Tekken and MK11 on it so might as well.

SlimX

Nov 11, 2017
What's really surprising is people in 2019 still posting a link to their own Twitter post just to complain about rage quits

Oct 25, 2017

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
What's really surprising is people in 2019 still posting a link to their own Twitter post just to complain about rage quits

What a sin... The guy complained about something obnoxious on a forum... Totally not something you should do in 2019...

It sounds like you are pretty defensive when it comes to rage quitters. How graciously do you take your Ls, Slim?

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
OMG, I beat Brian F with my scrubby Diamond skills! Of course, it was in casuals. And against his day-1 Honda. And also he whooped my ass the next 2 matches with said day-1 Honda, but still! It was almost as exciting as beating Automattock's day-1 Sagat. Now let me just run into Kenny Omega's Alex so I can say I beat Omega at fighting games.

Oh, and the August Extra Battle schedule is out: https://game.capcom.com/cfn/sfv/systemfault/132793
No Shadow Lady in sight, but almost as surprising is that there are apparently no Shadaloo soldiers at all this month.

Welp, I'm a loser. I literally just wasted money to get the Chun-Li Costume and Akiman Costume bundles.
Nothing to be ashamed about, that money goes to supporting a character game that you love. Now, if you knowingly bought that Pajama costume by itself, then we'd have to talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.