• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo season 6 will be 4 characters that way the character select looks tidier.
It's almost assuredly going to 3 rows a la Tekken w/ Super. When AE released they put in blank placeholder character slots to bring the total to 54. (does not mean all will be used.) They had previously been adding 1 at a time in Vanilla.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
If Season 6 exists I see it playing out like this.

Jan/March 2020: Super SFV releases. 6/8 characters out immediately at launch, w/ 1 probably launching early at CapCup (preorder bonus for SSFV or the Super pass?)
Evo: 3 or 6 more added
Capcom Cup: Final characters added.

Come on, man! No way are we getting 9 to 14 characters in 2020!

9 in 2020 and 2021 combined maaaybe, but chill.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It's almost assuredly going to 3 rows a la Tekken w/ Super. When AE released they put in blank placeholder character slots to bring the total to 54. (does not mean all will be used.) They had previously been adding 1 at a time in Vanilla.
Hmm we will see.
What events in oct and nov can we expect sf5 news to be revealed during?

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
2019 - Last 2 season 4 characters launch around capcom cup.

2020- "super SFV" or something similar , a relaunch of the game roughly on par with AE but probably a bit lower budget (probably no 3 minute CG intro but maybe a motion comic story mode 2) Some level of new game mechanics are added such as Vskill2 or even just a new Vmove (some new type of counter?) game is tweaked in ways both subtle and obvious to compensate. 1 season 5 character is also available at launch (late january/mid february perhaps?). 2 more season 5 characters release between March-June (so 3/6 season 5 chs) , Evo reveals 3 more are coming but only 2 are "available this week" , last character is shown at TGS2020 and is available at the end of September. Capcom Cup 2020 shows off that 2021 will again use SFV for the CPT but it'll be the last time... , a deluxe re-release of SFV will come out for PS5 Around February 2021 but that's not all... right after capcup , character 47 will be unveiled for release right after capcup , the PS5 launch month for the game (expect it to be a proper port that will also patch the online to add PS4/PS5/PC as available for crossplay, imagine more of the PC versions graphical settings being turned on and a higher resolution ... maybe 4K?) will also see character 48 added to the game (and they'll be "free" for PS5 buyers.... I'd expect PS4 owners that upgrade to PS5 will also have access to a cheap upgrade fee that'll give them anything the ps5 version includes they might be missing). After this reveal , a teaser trailer for Street Fighter 6 is shown off , maybe showing a pretty fancy looking Ryu charge up a hadouken aimed at a mysterious figure. No actual gameplay is shown yet.

2021- The aforementioned PS5 version comes out along with ch 47/48 as mentioned above. This version if bought at retail or as a full download for new buyers would include 48 characters, all 10 original backgrounds with any non holiday variants, all classic stages, classic, story and battle outfits for every character unlocked from the get go , all other non-CPT costumes (from 2019 or earlier) unlockable by simply playing the game (no need to buy anything with cash). All CPT content would be available as a single lump sum DLC bundle for 20$. Retail price would actually be 60$ but those upgrading a ps4 copy to a PS5 copy could do so for 20$, any previously bought CPT content would of course carry over as well. Purchased costumes would not require unlocking either. Perhaps around April 2021 , character 49/50 for SFV would be dropped , this would end support for new characters for the game. At E3 2021 the first actual gameplay for SF6 would be shown and a trial would be playable on the show floor. Perhaps as many as 6 characters and 2-3 stages are shown. SDCC 2021 might reveal a 7th character then, EVO 2021 would have a playable build while also showing a 8th character. But, that wouldn't be it ! Characer 9/10 also get shown off!! TGS would announce a 11th and and 12th character for SF6 and reveal a beta period that would start at the end of the month, open to any SF5 owners on PS5 , then a month later any PS5 owners and finally in late November, steam users. In the meantime to build hype for the new game I'd wager a ramp up of character reveals would occur, Character 13/14 shown in October, 15/16 shown in November, 17/18 in December, 19/20 for January 2022... all building up to the games launch probably the second week of march.

2022- SF6 launches on PS5/PC March 15th 2022. It has 20 characters available day 1 , launches MUCH more complete than SF5 and probably looks amazing too, like at least twice as good as SF5 while also running better , online is vastly improved over SF5. Fight money is no longer a thing either , instead straight up DLC only , a season pass is announced at the first official CPT event for 2022 , only 1 character is shown off , 4 total for the season. a second character reveal at E3 with the first available that month followed by evo 2022 showing the other 2 characters with a dual drop at the end of that August.

2023- Capcom Cup announces a season 2 , this time it will have 6 characters , the first of which will drop immediately, the second in February 2023, a third in April and a 4th in June with 5/6 coming right after EVO 2023. After this with 30 characters, SF6 will be considered complete.

2024- Super SF6 comes out IF SF6 has done well enough.

Oct 25, 2017
The way I see it :
2020 : season 5 and SF6 reveal at CC
2021 : Minor season 6 with 4 characters
2022 : SF6
Basically just like they did for SF4 :
2014 : Ultra plus sfv reveal
2015 : Omega
2016 : SFV
Capcom ain't announcing SFVI two years before launch. Since MHW i believe, Capcom has never released a game over nine months after announcing it.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
People are drafting their "SF6 looks just like SFV but with more shadows" shitposts already.

Indeed, there is a real chance that the next Street Fighter game will receive the same complaints that SFV did. It makes me question if they don't need to change their approach next time out.

Honestly, they should maybe just reuse a substantial amount of assets next time around. It would allow for a giant roster on launch AND it would allow them to clean up all the assets that already exists (fix some of the most egregious clipping issues). It should also clear up some budget for a significantly more substantial single player experience. If they are going to be accused of their game looking the same anyway, you may as well embrace it and use it to your advantage.

This isn't necessarily what I want, but I think the casual audience would respond well to it (if Capcom don't fuck it up by cutting the budget). The Smash approach has been huge with the casual fans, I think it is maybe worth pursuing.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
People already calling Lucia damage nerf. Her damage his average but can do 900 stun in two combos but it's unsafe if you block her meaty combo after her hurricane kick.

She really can't do more than 370 damage and compare that to Karin who can do 416 after two meter burn in the corner.

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Indeed, there is a real chance that the next Street Fighter game will receive the same complaints that SFV did. It makes me question if they don't need to change their approach next time out.

Honestly, they should maybe just reuse a substantial amount of assets next time around. It would allow for a giant roster on launch AND it would allow them to clean up all the assets that already exists (fix some of the most egregious clipping issues). It should also clear up some budget for a significantly more substantial single player experience. If they are going to be accused of their game looking the same anyway, you may as well embrace it and use it to your advantage.

This isn't necessarily what I want, but I think the casual audience would respond well to it (if Capcom don't fuck it up by cutting the budget). The Smash approach has been huge with the casual fans, I think it is maybe worth pursuing.

Here's the thing, you shouldn't have to wait 3 years to play E Honda. That's ridiculous!

SF6 needs to come with all the original world warriors and the bosses. And then add who you want from the other games.

SFV was barebones and it rubbed people the wrong way.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing, you shouldn't have to wait 3 years to play E Honda. That's ridiculous!

SF6 needs to come with all the original world warriors and the bosses. And then add who you want from the other games.

Personally, I think the World Warriors are some of the least interesting characters (outside of Vega, Balrog, and Sagat). So that would rub ME the wrong way. I think the World Warrior favoritism needs to stop.

Or they could just do the Smash thing and the roster would end up including almost every character people want. *shrug*

Pachinko

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
SF6 needs to be almost a reboot I think. The timeline / continuity of the series is already a bit of a mess right now. There's a clear line of SF1 leading to SF2 , then SF3 is supposed to be 10 years ahead of that. But a plot wrench exists in there too where Super Turbo and the alpha series exist. Also, SF4 came out after such a long gap that it's more of a super turbo 2 than a proper 4 (as in a sequel to 3). Super SF4 was also a light expansion on the events of SF4 yet both titles are still set well before SF3.... and of course characters from both SF3 and Alpha were tossed into 4 despite potential issues with characters like Elena being like 10 years old if anything in SF3 matters. SF4 basically says that SF3 doesn't happen... and you could kind of look at SF4 has a contemporary reboot , like what if SF2 didn't happen in 1991 and instead it happened in 2007. But ... then SFV happens and you can go cross eyed because it's clearly set shortly before the events of SF3 but characters from alpha , 2, 3 and even 4 show up as though almost all of their respective games just happened. Some characters appear to have aged like it's been a few years since SF4 , others not so much. Even typing out all this nonsense I feel like SF6 will require capcom to make a choice - you either make 6 a full blown canonical reboot of SF3 that follows SF4 and 5 with a smaller time gap OR you just kind of restart everything and SF6 is just yet another SF2 remake.

I'm honestly sick of SF2's story being barfed back up time after time and would rather capcom finally move ahead with a new story set AFTER SF3. Make some sacrifices to the cast , we don't need the original SF2 cast anymore , it's not 1994. That was actually something I appreciated about SFV , they had a fantastic cast of characters from the whole series day 1 and even tossed in 4 brand new characters that were mostly great (fang can go suck a poison egg tho). Characters I'd be happy to never see again - Nash,Bison, Vega, Balrog, T.Hawk, Dhalsim, Blanka , Honda, Zangeif. At the very least I don't want them wasting space in the launch roster of a new game - give us something new or different , throw in a character that hasn't had some time in the limelight.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I'm not interested in SF regurgitating the same initial roster.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SF6 needs to be almost a reboot I think. The timeline / continuity of the series is already a bit of a mess right now. There's a clear line of SF1 leading to SF2 , then SF3 is supposed to be 10 years ahead of that. But a plot wrench exists in there too where Super Turbo and the alpha series exist. Also, SF4 came out after such a long gap that it's more of a super turbo 2 than a proper 4 (as in a sequel to 3). Super SF4 was also a light expansion on the events of SF4 yet both titles are still set well before SF3.... and of course characters from both SF3 and Alpha were tossed into 4 despite potential issues with characters like Elena being like 10 years old if anything in SF3 matters. SF4 basically says that SF3 doesn't happen... and you could kind of look at SF4 has a contemporary reboot , like what if SF2 didn't happen in 1991 and instead it happened in 2007. But ... then SFV happens and you can go cross eyed because it's clearly set shortly before the events of SF3 but characters from alpha , 2, 3 and even 4 show up as though almost all of their respective games just happened. Some characters appear to have aged like it's been a few years since SF4 , others not so much. Even typing out all this nonsense I feel like SF6 will require capcom to make a choice - you either make 6 a full blown canonical reboot of SF3 that follows SF4 and 5 with a smaller time gap OR you just kind of restart everything and SF6 is just yet another SF2 remake.

I'm honestly sick of SF2's story being barfed back up time after time and would rather capcom finally move ahead with a new story set AFTER SF3. Make some sacrifices to the cast , we don't need the original SF2 cast anymore , it's not 1994. That was actually something I appreciated about SFV , they had a fantastic cast of characters from the whole series day 1 and even tossed in 4 brand new characters that were mostly great (fang can go suck a poison egg tho). Characters I'd be happy to never see again - Nash,Bison, Vega, Balrog, T.Hawk, Dhalsim, Blanka , Honda, Zangeif. At the very least I don't want them wasting space in the launch roster of a new game - give us something new or different , throw in a character that hasn't had some time in the limelight.
It'll be post-SF3 - SFV is bridging SF4/SF3 so that they can actually move forward without having most of the audience clueless as to the status quo as SF3 never broke out mainstream.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I hope the physics and speed in SF6 are more in line with 3rd Strike. I've been binging on all things SF for the past few months and I keep being reminded of how 3S is my favorite fighting game of all time. It just feels so right. The characters jump way too high in 4/5.

On the subject of SF3, I'd be down for some level remakes and transitions like they did with NG.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Personally, I think the World Warriors are some of the least interesting characters (outside of Vega, Balrog, and Sagat). So that would rub ME the wrong way. I think the World Warrior favoritism needs to stop.
I actually think Claw won't make it to SF6. Even terrible characters like Honda and Blanka have their fans and found their niche. Boxer and Sagat are an archetype of their own. But Claw? SF4 and SF5 both showed Capcom has no clue what to do with this character. And it pains me, because he's my favourite SF2' character.
SF6 should be the MK9 of the series.
In terms of roster, I feel like SF5 only needs a few more characters to approach that. Rose, Dudley, Makoto, and that's more or less it for the popular characters. Add Oro, Hakan and Sodom and you cover the "meme weirdo" base.
Or maybe you meant "everyone from SF1, 2, Zero and 3 and none of the modern characters"? That's 54 characters without Juri, Rashid or Menat. That wouldn't be wise.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think Claw won't make it to SF6. Even terrible characters like Honda and Blanka have their fans and found their niche. Boxer and Sagat are an archetype of their own. But Claw? SF4 and SF5 both showed Capcom has no clue what to do with this character. And it pains me, because he's my favourite SF2' character.

I agree with this assessment. Which is too bad, as Vega is such an interesting character. They have said that they were changing the way he controls (removing the charge inputs) to try and boost his popularity, but it didn't really pay off. Honestly, I think he is the only great Street Fighter 2 character. There are some good ones, but Vega really stands out. It is too bad that he doesn't get too much love.

On the positive side, every character's popularity grows as they sit on the benches. After skipping Street Fighter 6, Vega will be substantially more desired.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
I hope the physics and speed in SF6 are more in line with 3rd Strike. I've been binging on all things SF for the past few months and I keep being reminded of how 3S is my favorite fighting game of all time. It just feels so right. The characters jump way too high in 4/5.

On the subject of SF3, I'd be down for some level remakes and transitions like they did with NG.

I'm gonna need some evidence that the jumps in 4 and 5 are substantially higher than SFIII. And SFV with shallower jumps sounds like an absolute nightmare given how strong jump-ins are in this game.

3S has super jumps too. haha

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of roster, I feel like SF5 only needs a few more characters to approach that. Rose, Dudley, Makoto, and that's more or less it for the popular characters. Add Oro, Hakan and Sodom and you cover the "meme weirdo" base.
Or maybe you meant "everyone from SF1, 2, Zero and 3 and none of the modern characters"? That's 54 characters without Juri, Rashid or Menat. That wouldn't be wise.

You are forgetting Dan and Guy. I think both ranked higher than Rose on the popularity polls. Dan is also king of the "meme weirdo" base. He belongs in both groups, dammit! Include Dan twice!

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm not at all keen on any continuity reboots for SF. With SFV already demonstrating at least some willingness to advance specific characters, I could do without sliding right back to sailor outfit default Sakura or everything STILL revolving around getting rid of Bison.

And I like Menat better than Rose even with having played every Alpha game, JoJo references be damned. Same deal with Guy and going way back with Final Fight as well, Zeku's just more fun.

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I think it's safe to not expect or desire any specific roster for SF6 unless you want to end up severely disappointed. Capcom isn't too predictable when it comes to roster decisions and they like to mix things up. You can probably count on Ryu, Ken and Chun-Li making it in but the rest of the roster will probably be surprising. Probably more new characters too.

Oct 25, 2017
SF6 should be the MK9 of the series.
Have none of you played SFIV? That's exactly what you described.
I want the entire half of the vanilla SF6 roster to be newcomers.
IDK about half, but def about a third of the roster is preferable to me.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
You can expect at least half of the launch roster for the next SF game to be Sf2 characters. It's been the pattern for IV and V for about half the launch roster to be SF2 characters with a mix of returning characters and newcomers for the other half. They seem to be what the fans want.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want the series to do a SF3-style roster reboot next time. I don't think anyone's buying these games SOLELY because the World Warriors are back for the sixth time; anecdotally, I know WAY more new fans who get into fighting games due to new characters like Tekken's Shaheen and SFV's Menat rather than lapsed fans who pick up a new entry because it features their old main.

If someone seriously says "I'm not buying SF6 if it doesn't have Ken/Guile/Honda/etc. on the base roster" then methinks they were never gonna buy the game (at least on launch) and were just looking for an excuse to justify their ambivalence.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely want the series to do a SF3-style roster reboot next time. I don't think anyone's buying these games SOLELY because the World Warriors are back for the sixth time; anecdotally, I know WAY more new fans who get into fighting games due to new characters like Tekken's Shaheen and SFV's Menat rather than lapsed fans who pick up a new entry because it features their old main.

If someone seriously says "I'm not buying SF6 if it doesn't have Ken/Guile/Honda/etc. on the base roster" then methinks they were never gonna buy the game (at least on launch) and were just looking for an excuse to justify their ambivalence.
T7 has a good balance of new and old characters rather than being a reboot akin to SFIII, and Bamco sure won't be doing another one of those after how poorly Soul Calibur V was received compared to VI. SFV is also much more even in that regard than 3S. Also, I see a lot more Kens and Guiles online than I do Menats, more Hondas too.

The average consumer often insists they want new things, but tends to have significantly less patience for them if not provided with familiar comforts to ease them into the experience.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
T7 has a good balance of new and old characters rather than being a reboot akin to SFIII, and Bamco sure won't be doing another one of those after how poorly Soul Calibur V was received compared to VI. SFV is also much more even in that regard than 3S. Also, I see a lot more Kens and Guiles online than I do Menats, more Hondas too.

The average consumer often insists they want new things, but tends to have significantly less patience for them if not provided with familiar comforts to ease them into the experience.
Well, yeah, but the people we fight online realistically make up a fraction of the total consumer base. Just take a look at how low the percentage of people who have the trophy for completing just a single online match is; the vast majority of consumers buy this stuff to mess around with the single-player or just play with offline friends.

My point is that new characters ARE a huge draw to some; people seemed to like SFV's base roster because it was a good mix of classics, new characters, and characters who had been absent for so long that they might as well be new. If SF6's starting roster is simply "All 8 World Warriors plus a handful of others" it'd be a disaster on a bunch of levels imo.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah, but the people we fight online realistically make up a fraction of the total consumer base. Just take a look at how low the percentage of people who have the trophy for completing just a single online match is; the vast majority of consumers buy this stuff to mess around with the single-player or just play with offline friends.

My point is that new characters ARE a huge draw to some; people seemed to like SFV's base roster because it was a good mix of classics, new characters, and characters who had been absent for so long that they might as well be new. If SF6's starting roster is simply "All 8 World Warriors plus a handful of others" it'd be a disaster on a bunch of levels imo.
I'm no more in favor of SFVI being a repeat of SFIV in being mostly the World Warriors and a scant few new characters, either.

Deleted member 18857

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New characters are good... as long as they're good. Rashid and Laura may draw new players... Rufus and Fuerte, less so.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how much more competent that SFV proved to be over SFIV in respect to introducing new characters. Being meh at worst like Ed and Falke is still preferable to Fuerte's incessant squeaking or Rufus' happy trail being displayed for all to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.