• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
I'm no more in favor of SFVI being a repeat of SFIV in being mostly the World Warriors and a scant few new characters, either.
Yeah SFIV has one of the most boring starting rosters imo; it made it really hard for me to pick a main on launch because none of the characters really excited me.

Y'know what would be cool though? If SF6 had mostly the same roster as SF5, but time-shifted ten years into the future. I adore it when characters are able to be affected by the flow of time; it's a huge part of why SFV's redesigns really jive with me and I'd like to see it get taken even FURTHER. Would be awesome to see more experienced, mature takes on characters like Sakura (who feels like she grew up less than Karin in SFV despite being the same age), R. Mika, Rashid, Menat, et al.

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, that's what happens when one is born a billionaire and the other is working-class having to do shitty part-time jobs to sustain one's family.
SF5, keeping it a little too real.
lol fair, I just meant it more in the sense that Sakura feels like the same character in a different outfit whereas Karin's model definitely looks a lot older than her high school self.

I know women aren't really allowed to age in fighting games (see: Soulcalibur V replacing every woman above the age of 35 with a Muppet Baby and vexing franchise mascot Ivy with a nonsensical anti-aging curse) but it'd still be cool to see! Give me middle-aged Chun-Li as a wise old kung-fu master/Interpol chief, give me 30-year-old Mika as the head of her own wrestling federation!

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
tbh, I don't give a shit about story lines in fighting games. Just put whatever characters they want in for whatever dumb story reason, lol. This is for any fighting game franchise. I want cool designs with fun move sets.

That said, I do agree with scraftyko, I want them to age the women in SF. Not because of story line. Because I think it's cool design. I wanna see older versions of these women designs, instead of the constant young version. Not just old in age on a bio screen. They should visibly look older.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
SF6 should be the MK9 of the series.
Nah, SF4 was already basically that. It launched in arcades with the original SF2 roster (plus four new characters). We don't need another soft reboot.
tbh, I don't give a shit about story lines in fighting games. Just put whatever characters they want in for whatever dumb story reason, lol. This is for any fighting game franchise. I want cool designs with fun move sets.
I couldn't agree more.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just want a game not designed by woshige.
source.gif

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah SFIV has one of the most boring starting rosters imo; it made it really hard for me to pick a main on launch because none of the characters really excited me.

Y'know what would be cool though? If SF6 had mostly the same roster as SF5, but time-shifted ten years into the future. I adore it when characters are able to be affected by the flow of time; it's a huge part of why SFV's redesigns really jive with me and I'd like to see it get taken even FURTHER. Would be awesome to see more experienced, mature takes on characters like Sakura (who feels like she grew up less than Karin in SFV despite being the same age), R. Mika, Rashid, Menat, et al.

I really like the aged characters in SFV. It would have been really cool to see more changes to the original characters in terms of movesets.

Love how Guile's sonic boom barage in V trigger and vertical boom makes the character more refreshing.

However old characters like Blanka feels so useless. I would be annoyed if Blanka was my main. They can't compete with Rashid or Laura or Menat at the pro level. And Karin is literally broken.

I don't care what they do, I'd just like to see more balance in the characters.

OP
OP
jett

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoy how SFV plays *shrug*

I doubt Woshige is wholly responsible for the game anyway.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Combofiend already said that they design their games around criticism the last title received. How about instead of blaming Woshige, you blame Capcom as a whole for listening to stream monkeys calling SF4 Sleep Fighter 4.

Woshige probably just followed a general guideline to prioritize rushdown and explosive moments.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
i really don't mind if they rehash most of SFV for they next game as i like the look. However, if that baggage comes with the old netcode and old balance then gtfo. I think next gen will keep SFV alive for a while longer. They want another shot at milking.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Combofiend already said that they design their games around criticism the last title received. How about instead of blaming Woshige, you blame Capcom as a whole for listening to stream monkeys calling SF4 Sleep Fighter 4.

Woshige probably just followed a general guideline to prioritize rushdown and explosive moments.

It was definitely an over-correction, but I appreciate that there is far more commitment in SFV. I think they could move back in the opposite direction, but I hope they show some serious restraint as they do so. The last thing I want in life is another SF4.

i really don't mind if they rehash most of SFV for they next game as i like the look. However, if that baggage comes with the old netcode and old balance then gtfo. I think next gen will keep SFV alive for a while longer. They want another shot at milking.

My understanding is that the netcode they used in SFV was already upgraded for MvCI and it is already much, much better. So, I imagine we are going to get a much better online experience in the next Street Fighter game. Hopefully a further iteration on MvCI's netcode. Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about that.

As for balance... What? Are you under the impression that SFV doesn't have good balance? The top tier characters in SFV feel very manageable in comparison to the top tier in most fighting games. Even that trash characters in SFV feel shockingly usable (if not tournament viable).

Last edited:

BlackFyre

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
lol fair, I just meant it more in the sense that Sakura feels like the same character in a different outfit whereas Karin's model definitely looks a lot older than her high school self.

I know women aren't really allowed to age in fighting games (see: Soulcalibur V replacing every woman above the age of 35 with a Muppet Baby and vexing franchise mascot Ivy with a nonsensical anti-aging curse) but it'd still be cool to see! Give me middle-aged Chun-Li as a wise old kung-fu master/Interpol chief, give me 30-year-old Mika as the head of her own wrestling federation!

Agreed. Chun Li should be like a Ming Na Wen type character.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
My understanding is that the netcode they used in SFV was already upgraded for MvCI and it is already much, much better. So, I imagine we are going to get a much better online experience in the next Street Fighter game. Hopefully a further iteration on MvCI's netcode. Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried about that.

As for balance... What? Are you under the impression that SFV doesn't have good balance? The top tier characters in SFV feel very manageable in comparison to the top tier in most fighting games. Even that trash characters in SFV feel shockingly usable (if not tournament viable).

it's not bad but still not good enough. i want more zoning and more regular patches.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Today is Yun & Yang's birthday.

On a scale of 1 to 5, how mad are you going to be next season when they come back and you see Yun do this with 2 bars?
latest

Village

Oct 25, 2017
to quote myself

Poison looks tight

WAIT FUCK DOES HONDA HAVE A FULLY ANIMATED EDITED FACE? HOLY SHIT. They could make the not costume versions of all the animal outfits from last time. Time to play actual fox cammy

Also damn was hoping ed would have a holloween costume. Ripperoonie

Today is Yun & Yang's birthday.

On a scale of 1 to 5, how mad are you going to be next season when they come back and you see Yun do this with 2 bars?
latest
200% G L A D

I'm ready for this shit

Minataur

Oct 25, 2017
Sucks that there are apparently only 2 Halloween costumes this year. There were only 3 Summer costumes as well, so perhaps they're winding down costume support wholesale, at least for now. Guess we'll just have to wait and see how many Holiday alts we get, hmm.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
He was intended to have a big role in SFIII and be the hero who took on the Illuminati, but that was kinda abandoned by 3rd Strike.

He's kinda like Necalli. Hyped up at first, but never really amounting to anything.

No one is as useless as Necalli. That boy JOBBED. That being said, Chun-Li jobbed pretty hardcore, too. So, being a jobber isn't the worst thing.

Type-Zero

Oct 31, 2017
It's no less than my 3rd favorite Street Fighter to play. Might even be my second. As much as I loved watching IV at the highest levels, I never enjoyed playing it much. So even if SFV's design was merely a reaction to SFIV criticism, it works for me.

Wow dude I am in the same boat. I didnt like playing SF4 but enjoyed watching high level play. With Sfv its the opposite, I enjoy playing it over watching high level play.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Wow dude I am in the same boat. I didnt like playing SF4 but enjoyed watching high level play. With Sfv its the opposite, I enjoy playing it over watching high level play.

I love watching SFV too, though. The combos in SFV aren't nearly as impressive as the combos in USFIV, but SFV has a tension for the entire round that IV only had when somebody got enough meter for an Ultra. My favorite moments in SFIV were at the end of rounds when both players were hesitant to do anything because the next hit could kill. That's the whole damn match in SFV.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Wouldn't that be the other way around?
I don't think I said that wrong. He was Gill's "chosen one" in Street Fighter 3, and some New Yorker living in his van (who immediately assumes Dhalsim is going to rob him when he approaches) in Street Fighter 5.

He does have an incredibly sexist comment in one of his win quotes in SF3 though. So maybe this isn't a new development.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I said that wrong. He was Gill's "chosen one" in Street Fighter 3, and some New Yorker living in his van (who immediately assumes Dhalsim is going to rob him when he approaches) in Street Fighter 5.

He does have an incredibly sexist comment in one of his win quotes in SF3 though. So maybe this isn't a new development.
I think they were referring to SFV being set before SFIII chronologically.

Alex is an asshole nonetheless, though.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
In SFIII Alex's motivation is to get back at Gill for beating Tom in a fight that all parties involved agreed to. Alex is the once and future dummy.

Foxhound286

Dec 4, 2017
New Jersey
I'm probably reading too much into it, but Ono might be teasing something for TGS. Considering it's one of the three super premiers, along with EVO and NA Finals, I could something maybe being shown.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
They specifically said November and December. Your own fault if you get disappointed by what they have at TGS.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
grats on your second place finish last weekend.

i know they said november, i also know that capcom knows we love surprises, hype initiated regardless.
Ha, thanks... though it also kinda hurts.

With Capcom and SFV, I still say we keep our expectations low. Hell, at this point, if nothing leaks it can even be an indication that they don't have anything there.

Status
Not open for further replies.